• Published 21st Jun 2017
  • 13,145 Views, 1,678 Comments

Blonde Moments - FamousLastWords



Spike has been volunteering time to entertain the fillies and colts at the local hospital. Everything changes, however, when his kind actions are noticed by a mare with much less fortunate circumstances.

  • ...
22
 1,678
 13,145

All The Small Things

Two months later…

“Alright, Spike, open up wide. And try not to talk this time, alright?”

“Meh, fine. Excuse me for trying to be social.” Spike cranked his jaw open for the doctor to look inside. He thanked his lucky stars he remembered to brush his teeth that morning. No matter how old he got, he was always going to be self-conscious about hygiene.

“Okay, looks all clear in here,” the doctor said, fumbling around with his wooden utensil. “You’ve got some swelling back there in the tonsil area, but nothing major. Alright, go ahead and close your mouth.” The doctor tossed the wooden stick into a nearby garbage can.

Spike rolled his tongue around in his mouth a few times, trying to get rid of the dryness. “Ugh, that never gets any more fun.”

“Hey, you think I like putting my hoof in ponies’ mouths all day,” the doctor said with a chuckle. “It’s a necessary evil, though.”

Spike scooted back onto the bed he was sitting on. “So, what’s the prognosis, doc? We all clear? Can I leave yet?”

“Hmm.” The doctor pushed up his glasses and looked over a folder he had laying on the nearby counter. “I’d say so. Your heartbeat is good, breathing normal, and your eyes seem right as far as I can tell. I’m no expert on draconic eyesight mind you, but your dilation seemed normal.”

“Sweet,” Spike said. “You see? You guys and Twilight are always saying I shouldn’t miss my appointments and all that jazz, but I’m a model example of perfect health.”

“Better safe than sorry.” The doctor set his paperwork aside. “So, tell me, Spike. Everything going good on a day-to-day basis? Your last visit you mentioned having some headaches and other pains.That was several months ago, granted, but any issues there?”

“Not really,” Spike said. “At least not more than any normal pony, or dragon even. Honestly, it was probably just from Twilight and Starlight getting on my nerves. Living with royalty isn’t all it’s cracked up to be.”

“Fair enough,” the doctor replied with a small laugh. “Just keep an eye out for yourself. If you don’t, you sure won’t have that perfect bill of health for long.”

“Yeah, yeah, yeah, I get it,” Spike said, rolling his eyes full-circle. “Can I leave yet? I kinda got some stuff I gotta do. Stuff involving a blonde mare and a basket of hay fries.”

The doctor took one last look over his paperwork. “Okay, I’d say you’re good to leave. But I want you back here a month from now. We’re actually having a doctor from the dragon lands come in to look at you. I’ll admit I’m not an expert at dragon biology, so when I met a dragon practicer of medicine at our last medical convention, I figured it might help to have her do a checkup.”

“I didn’t even know the dragons had actual doctors,” Spike said. “Then again, I don’t spend a whole lot of time over there. Fine, I’ll be here. But don’t expect me to be happy about it. And I swear, if she tries to do some dark ages leeching type stuff, I’m out.”

“Calm down, that’s not going to happen. It’ll just be a checkup from somepony who knows more about dragons than I do. But, before any of that can happen, I will need permission from you to let her view your medical records. Is that alright?”

Spike hopped off the bed and walked over to him. “Yeah, that’s fine. Where do I sign?”

“Right here.” The doctor pointed to a small line on the paper.

Spike scribbled out his initials real quick. “There we go, Spike Amadeus Dragon.”

“Thank you very much,” he said. “Alright, now you’re really free to go. Enjoy your afternoon.”

“You don’t have to tell me twice,” Spike said, dashing for the door. He paused right before opening it, however and turned around. “Uh, just one more thing, doctor.”

The doctor looked at him. “Yes, Spike, we got the blue raspberry suckers back in stock. Just talk to receptionist and she’ll take care of it for you.”

Spike gave him a thumbs up. “You know me too well.”

The dragon made his way down the hall, got his sucker and went out to the waiting room. Rarity was sitting in a chair, flipping though an old magazine, waiting for him.

“Hey, Rares!” Spike said with a wave. “I’m alive and well. Oh, and I got you a sucker. The peach kind because I’m pretty sure that’s your favorite, right?”

She whisked the magazine aside and got up to greet him. “Oh, thank you, dear.”

“Of course!” Spike handed it to her and they both made their way toward the exit. “Thanks for coming with me, by the way. I know you were probably busy. I don’t know what it is, but coming here for my appointments always rubs me the wrong way.”

“Oh, of course,” she replied. “Places like this can be rather upsetting. It’s always nice to have a friend there.”

“Exactly. I asked Starlight first because I figured she wasn’t doing anything today anyway. She just laughed… and then laughed a bit more. And then said she had plans. Some ponies never change, I suppose.”

Rarity lightly chuckled. “Oh, that definitely sounds like her. You two definitely have a strange relationship.”

“You’re not wrong,” Spike replied. “I guess it’s only fair after I hid that snake in her room last month.”

“So,” Rarity spoke up. “What did the doctor say, Is everything going well?”

“Yeah, so far so good,” he replied. “At least from what he could tell with that twelve point inspection he’s got. I live to fight another day.”

“Well that’s good to here,” Rarity said with a bright smile. “But you really should keep up with your appointments better. No good can come from missing them.”

“Oh, not you, too,” Spike said, tossing his head back with an exasperated sigh. “Twilight’s been talking to you, huh?”

“She may have mentioned it,” she said. “It is important, though. Even the princesses have to receive their check ups on a regular basis. And it’s especially important now that you’re getting older, you need to get used to these responsibilities. It’s simply a part of life. ”

“It’s not a very fun part, though,” Spike said with a frown. “But it’s whatever. I have to go to my next one, anyway. They’re bring in some dragon doctor to take a look at me for a day.”

“Oh really?” she asked. “Well that definitely sounds like a good idea. Have you ever been seen by a dragon professional, before?”

“Only once, a couple years ago,” Spike said. “But she wasn’t really an actual doctor. Just an herbalist or something that visited the castle for whatever reason. And it didn’t go so well. She made a comment about my lack of size being unnatural. I think she was just making fun of me being short, though. I guess dragons don’t believe in bedside professionalism.”

Rarity stifled another laugh with her hoof. “Oh, dear, I’m sorry. If it means anything, I think you’re the perfect size. If you were much bigger, there might not be enough room in Ponyville for you. And frankly, I couldn’t dream of living here without you.”

Spike blushed ever so slightly. “Thanks, Rarity. But don’t worry, even if I was a giant tyrant of a dragon I’d still hang around here, probably. The whole living in the mountains with a pile of treasure thing isn’t really my scene. Not enough pretty mares around if you ask me.” He lightly elbowed her with a playful wink.

“Well, I suppose I should be grateful for that,” she said.

They finally made it to the outside of the building. It was early in the afternoon so the sun was hanging high in the sky, illuminating the green leaves of the trees. Summer was just about in full-force so the temperature wasn’t exactly ideal, but Spike loved it.

“Oh man, it feels great out here,” Spike said, stretching out his body. “You should really try the whole cold-blooded thing, Rarity. It’s really not that bad.”

“Yes, well,” Rarity flinched under the radiating sun. “Well, ponies unfortunately do not have that luxury. But I do have a conditioned home waiting for me. “Were you planning on coming over to visit?”

“I can’t, I’m sorry,” Spike said. “I’ve got a date with Derpy here in a few minutes at the burger place. I was late to our last date and I don’t really wanna put myself in the doghouse more than I already might be.”

“Oh, well that’s simply wonderful,” she said. “I’m so happy that things are going so well between the two of you. How long have you been seeing each other again?”

“Officially? Just over a month I guess. But, to be honest, I kinda liked her from the first day we met. Sounds kinda stupid, I guess.”

“Oh hush,” Rarity said with a wave of her hoof. “I actually think it’s rather adorable. I’m happy for you, Spike. You really do need to bring her over some time for dinner. I’d love to get to know her, better.”

“Will do,” Spike said. “I’ll probably ask her about it today, actually. She’s kinda shy, though, so it might take a bit of planning.”

“Just let me know, okay, darling,” Rarity said. “Now, I’m going to get out of the sun and back to work on my dresses. You run along and don’t be late, understood?”

“Got it.”

The two shared a brief hug before parting ways. Spike pranced off to his favorite burger joint to meet up with Derpy, a huge smile on his face.


“One, two, three… go!”

Spike and Derpy both simultaneously bit into their sandwiches and promptly took a sip of their drink right afterwards.

“Oh, my gosh,” Spike said, his mouth on fire. “This really is spicy. How are you holding up?”

Derpy took another swig of her drink and wiped a few droplets of sweat from her forehead. “It’s really good. Just… wow, it’s hot.”

“It’s really good, though,” Spike said, finally being able to think now that his mouth wasn’t being prodded by the Devil’s pitchfork. “That Dragonfire pepper has a really sweet aftertaste.

Derpy nodded in response. “Yeah, I agree. Just… wow. It’s powerful.”

“Hey, Curly!” Spike shouted back toward the kitchen from his seat. “This burger is great! But man, it packs a punch.”

The pony in question waved at him from the counter. “I’m glad you like it. I’ll send you guys some ice cream out in a bit to help the burn.”

Both of them set their burgers down for a moment to gather themselves before continuing the conversation they were having before.

“So, now that that’s over with for the moment,” Spike said. “I’m happy to inform you that everything at the doctor’s went off without a hitch. You’re the proud marefriend of the healthiest dragon in Ponyville.”

Derpy’s lips curled up into a sweet smile. “That’s good. I really hate going to hospitals and stuff, too. It’s never any fun, especially when you get bad news.”

“No joke,” Spike said. “You especially have reason to hate them. Me? I’m kinda just a coward, I’ll admit it.”

“Maybe just a little,” Derpy said with a chuckle.

“Heh, your ability to comfort me knows no bounds,” Spike said with a playful smirk. “To that end, though, they’re bringing in a dragon doctor next month to see me, just for a full inspection. That’ll be interesting.”

“Really?” Derpy asked. “I didn’t know dragons had doctors. They don’t really seem all that, you know, organized. No offense, I mean.”

“None taken. That’s what I thought. But you learn something new every day, I guess.”

“I guess so,” Derpy said. “Either way, I’m just glad you’re okay.”

“Thanks, sweets,” Spike said with a smile before his eyes shot open. “Ooh, how does that one sound? ‘Sweets’. Does that work for you?”

Derpy rolled her eyes and nodded. “Spike, I don’t really care what pet name you call me. They’re all sweet. I’ve told you this, before.”

“Yeah, I know,” he said with a sigh, slouching back in his seat. “But I want it to be something special. Anypony can call their marefriend ‘babe’, or ‘sweet cheeks’ or whatever. I like to go against the grain. I want it to be something, you know, unique.”

The mare giggled and reached out a hoof, setting it on his free claw he had on the table. “It’s really adorable that you’re putting so much work into this. But okay, I like ‘sweets’, a lot. You can call me that.”

Spike’s face instantly lit up. “Awesome! We have a winner!”

Derpy patted his claw once more before pulling her hoof back. “So, before we got our food you said there was something you wanted to ask me?”

Spike cocked an eyebrow for a second before remembering. “Oh yeah! I forgot. Rarity wants to have us over for dinner sometime soon. She really wants to get to know you more.”

“Rarity? Wants to get to know me?” Derpy slunk back a bit in her seat, hiding behind her mane. “But she’s so popular and… famous.”

“Yeah, that’s true,” Spike said with a nod. “But she’s also one of my best friends and by association, she wants to be your friend, too. I mean, I won’t force you to do anything if you don’t want to, but I think you two would get along great.”

Derpy let out a sigh. “Okay, I’ll do it. She’s always seemed nice, but we’ve never really talked or anything. But if she’s your best friend, I guess we’ll need to meet eventually.”

“Cool!” Spike said. “I’ll let her know and then set up a date sometime. Just, you know, be prepared to talk about clothes and generous-y stuff… That’s kind of her thing.”

“Understood,” she replied. “But, I do wanna tell you something, though.”

Spike perked an ear frill up. “What’s that?”

“So, I have a surprise that you might be interested in,” she said. “It’ll be ready tomorrow afternoon. I was hoping you’d wanna come over to my home to see it.”

“A surprise?” Spike’s face lit up. “I love surprises! Any hints on what it is?”

She shook her head. “Nope! You’ll just have to come over and see.”

“Fair enough,” Spike said. “What time do you want me to be there?”

“Is seven o’clock okay?” she asked. “It’s a bit late I know, so I understand if you can’t.”

“Oh please,” Spike said, waving it off. “I took you to Manehattan in the middle of the night once. Going down the road in the evening is hardly a chore. Besides, you’re worth skipping an early bedtime.”

“Thank, Spike,” she said. “I promise, you won’t be disappointed.”

“I’ll take your word for it. Now, let’s finish up this food. I think I’ve given my mouth enough of a rest.”

The two quickly scarfed down their dinner and followed it up by eating the free ice cream provided to them. Their dates were hardly fancy at this point, primarily because Spike was still in the learning phases of the dating scene, but they always felt perfect.

After finishing up, they walked outside to part ways for the night.

“So, I’ll see you tomorrow then?” Spike asked.

“Absolutely,” she replied. “I can’t wait.”

“Neither can I.”

He gave her a quick kiss and she nuzzled his cheek before they went their separate ways. Spike still got a goofy smile on his face every time they kissed or hugged, even though they’ve been doing it for months. He knew it was cheesy, but he loved it more every time.

Spike strode off toward his home. It wasn’t too late yet, so he could still work in some laziness and game time with Starlight before bed. Besides, he definitely needed a mare’s opinion on what this surprise could be. After all, he didn’t wanna go over there unprepared.

Author's Note:

Say it ain't so,
I will not go,
Turn the lights off,
Carry me home.