• Published 16th Jul 2013
  • 4,972 Views, 70 Comments

An Accident Waiting to Happen - The Procrapstinator



We all saw it coming. But the one person, or dragon, who didn't makes a mistake, causes friendships to be re-examined and for better or worse, those friendships will change...

  • ...
12
 70
 4,972

Chapter 5

Slowly the beautiful sunrise began creeping across the horizon. After bearing though the night with no sleep, Fluttershy sat up in her bed with bags sagging from her eyes and her mane was tangled and rustled. Looking around the room she saw that Twilight was reading a book, as was Rainbow. The books they were reading however differed immensely. The cover of Twilight's read The Study of Pegasi: Biology and Skeletal Structure. Rainbow Dash, however, had the latest daring do book in her hooves, Daring Do in: The Mystery of the Golden Statue. Applejack was lying on the ground, daydreaming about who knows what. Above her on the bench sat Rarity who was sketching something down on paper, another dress design no doubt. Pinkie Pie was to the farthest left. She just sat there starting at the ground and Fluttershy couldn't help but notice that her mane was slightly deflated. That was the case until Pinkie noticed she was awake, at which point she started bouncing across the room like a pinball yelling things like, "OHMYGOSHGUYSFLUTTERSHY'SAWAKE!" and "GUYS WHAT ARE WAITING FOR? LETS THROW A PARTY!!!!!!!". Eventually they had to get several nurses to get her to calm down. After all the commotion was over, Twilight spoke up. "How are you feeling Fluttershy? We were all worried sick about you."

She thought to herself and pondered recent events. Not wanting her friends to over worry, she gave Twilight a simple, " I'm okay everybody, thanks for your concern but I'm alright now." Twilight however, wouldn't have it.

"Are you sure Fluttershy? If you do good that's great, but you must be in some sort of pain now right?"

To be honest Fluttershy was in pain, severe pain in fact. Her wing was in a cast and folded inward in a less than comfortable position, and her side was still sore from the wound she got. Her head rang and throbbed and she did't feel like she would be able to even stand until after a long recovery. But again, she simply gave her friends less to worry about. " No really girls, I'm okay." She just didn't feel the need to burden her friends with more worry about her health. 'After all, they already have someone else to worry about.' She thought, her eyes glazed and off in the distance as her mind drifted to that of the drake that had saved her.
She was torn as for her feelings towards Spike. Part of her wanted to be grateful to him for saving them both from certain death. Even still, ever since Iron Will's program, she always had that dormant side to her that wanted to resent and hate anyone who caused her something so much as a small inconvenience. But even if Fluttershy wanted to, she couldn't hate anyone, especially Spike. He would come over and help if she asked and even if he had a minor slip up, he would apologize until he was sure everything was alright. It wasn't always sunshine and happiness though and Spike couldn't help out all the time between helping Twilight and trying to advance on Rarity. There were times back in the cottage when she would find an animal limping out of the Everfree, barely escaping a timber wolf chasing behind it. After working for hours eventually the animal would take it's final breath, despite her efforts to keep it safe. No matter how many times it happens, she will always have that same cold feeling of failure wash over her.Even in spite of her many successes, she would weep into the arms of her animals, cry until she couldn't cry anymore. She thought of hiring an assistant herself but realized that no one really suited for the job except her and Spike. What made it worse was that those extra hands could mean the difference in a situation of injury for one of her animals. With Spike on the forefront of her mind she asked Twilight how Spike was doing.

"The nurses got him bandaged up and as soon as he was allowed to he left. He went to the library and went straight to the basement. He won't say anything and won't come out. He only eats if I teleport the food in there. The last thing he said to me was to tell you that he's sorry."

If there was any hope that things would go back to normal after all this, it vanished as soon as the words left Twilight's snout. It was obvious why he is in the the state he is. After having his heart broken by someone close to him, he then endangered and caused the injury of another close friend and has given him grief and guilt the likes of which he hasn't experienced before in his life. Understanding this gave Fluttershy even more reason to be worried.

*****

Spike sat in the cold and dark of the basement in the library. There was a light, he just chose not to turn it on. Without him cleaning it on a regular basis like he used to the basement, and for all he knew the rest of the tree house, had become a desolate cave that was unfit for anything but dragons and other savage creatures to live in. The air was a bit thicker than usual and often caused him to sneeze. Dust clouded any surfaces and the room smelled like whoever lived in it hadn't bathed in three weeks. And in the corner sat a dragon whose guilt and anger was only matched by his regret. Insomnia and malnutrition plagued him. He only ate as much as he had to, sometimes not even that much. His face pale and covered in streaks that were what was left of his many fallen tears. He did not allow himself to anything pleasure related. He ate, slept, and thought, nothing else.

'How could I have done this? I know better than this...but I guess I'm still just as small as I was then, and just as immature. Twilight always said that things happen for a reason but I can't understand why something like this would happen' Once again too tired to internally scold himself anymore he curled in a ball and tried to get to sleep, though he knew there wouldn't be any.

Author's Note:

Whaddya know! I finally got off my butt for once and got it done! And while I'm at it I might as well start working on the next chapter of Generous or Greedy to shouldn't I?

Comments ( 21 )

Q:why is Rarity sketching and not in a hospital be Spike is less this okay and well her beast fired flutters is hurt sooo ya

3458811I'm assuming that you're asking why Rarity isn't in tbe hospital. She is in there, she is simply sketching because she does it whenever she thinks of an idea and helps pass the time as she waits for Flutters to wake up

3458844 but remember Twi's threat that kind of was a big part so ya now

3458935 That part will be explained in another chapter, most likely the next one. I meant to have their part of the story explained to Fluttershy through the other five

Loved this Chapter :twilightsmile:

to everyone that is reading this, I am going to preface this with the following: I am a Sparity fan, as well as a Spilight fan. Hell, if it's created with some quality, I can and often do enjoy reading stories about Spike shipping with just about anyone. So FlutterSpike, if done well, is right up my alley. I always feel that no matter how everyone should feel for each other, there should be definite reason as to why they feel this way, and preferably not just something random.

With that said, I have to wonder, why is it that everyone in this chapter apparently have the audacity to shame Rarity about her choice to reject Spike and get with Fancy Pants? It is her choice, her heart she shares with, her choice of special somepony she decided to acquire. It has shown many times that Rarity wants a STALLION as a significant partner (hell here's some of the reasons: she can be a mother eventually, she can become nobility/high class/wealthy, what have you, there's no accusations of beastiality/pedophilia among the elite where she's trying so hard to be a part of), so eventually it was gonna be heartbreak from the start. At first glance, it seems that everyone else is either indifferent or straight against it, and no, not knowing she has a boyfriend is not a good-enough excuse. I thought that at least the others would have let Spike know this out well before having to make him see it for himself and basically commit near-suicide-by-dangerous creature because ONE MARE SAID NO

......I don't like saying this, but Spike, GROW UP!!! This is Ponyville, surely there are more mares out there that actually like you as potentially more than a friend, and hell may even have a crush on you, but you have such dark sapphire-blue glasses for Raritbitch that it's sickening. If it's about just getting you dicks wet, Spike, there are plenty of mares out there willing to do that, probably. Why stop saying "WOE IS ME!!", get your scaly but off of your bed once you are cured, and rock Fluttershy's world ALREADY??!?!?!?! SHE ALREADY HAS SHOW YOU SHE WANTS YOU, GET A FUCKING CLUE!!!!!!!!!!!!:flutterrage::flutterrage::flutterrage::flutterrage::flutterrage::flutterrage::flutterrage::flutterrage::flutterrage::flutterrage::flutterrage::flutterrage::flutterrage::flutterrage:

3518791 I agree with you for the most part, but the reason everyone is so mad a Rarity is because of how she used Spike.:applecry:
I mean she knew how Spike felt, knew she would never return his feelings, but still felt no guilt what so ever with taking everything he gave her under the 'false' pretense that he had a chance with her.:twilightangry2:
What she should have done when she saw how much he was doing for her (like the living pin cushion thing) was sit down with him and may be Twilight as well (for support) then tell him that she does not feel the same way.:raritycry:
Explain to Spike that even if they can never be more than friends that she still cares about him 'as a friend', and that if he wants to still continue to do things for her that it is perfectly fine as long as he understands that he is only helping out as a friend not as something more.:duck:
If he is not okay with that then he needs to stop helping her:rainbowderp:, and she needs to find a new pin cushion.:rainbowlaugh:

What she did instead was 'generouly' accept all his help and support while telling herself that it was okay because it was 'just a crush' and he would simply get over it.:ajbemused:

3532551

We are on the same accord....I'm just still ticked that it looks like not just Rarity, but everypony (except Fluttershy) deliberately let Spike astray....and I bet that ultimately it is a combination of what I said in my previous post that makes Spike want to commit near-suicide. (And he almost succeeded, too).

Seriously, is it so revolting for any pony to even have some romantic feelings for a dragon, especially one like Spike, who has basically lived with ponies for his entire existence?? I can understand the potentlal for incompatibility since Spike is a dragon, and there isn't any (written) proof that dragons and equines could reproduce, but other than that, what is it? Specism? Plain old prejudice? Fear? For once, give him a reason why or why not, not just "It won't work".

Sometimes I actually wished that Spike would act on his buried impulses. If they think he's just a monster, well damn it, give the unwilling bastards a monster to fear.......

Well done, I like where this is going!

Moar! I want some FlutterSpike!

I'll be honest I'm surprised no one has gone super OCD about the fact that the ***** are supposed to be in the middle and they're all the way off to the side. I should probably fix that cuz it annoys the hell out of me.

Cool story bro B):moustache:

man i hate walls of text

3532985 That was my inspiration from writing the story in the first place :derpytongue2:

Dude! is this story alive? because it really needs to continue!

PS: sorry for my bad english, is not my native language

4980622 The story is on life support so to speak, I need to figure out what I want to with this as far as edits of past chapters and topics of new ones. However, going through sophomore year is a bit of a pain and requires more attention than I can distribute to this right now. I also am working on chapter 2 of m latest story, but I might put that on hold to take care of this one when I get the chance. Thanks for telling me your concern about the story and, rest assured, I'm concerned too! :pinkiehappy:

4980648 I dont want to presure on you, take the all time you need, i only wanted to now that is not abandoned, thanks for respond!! :yay:

PS: Im apology again about the English.:twilightblush:

Please continue this story!

Login or register to comment