• Published 16th Jul 2013
  • 4,971 Views, 70 Comments

An Accident Waiting to Happen - The Procrapstinator



We all saw it coming. But the one person, or dragon, who didn't makes a mistake, causes friendships to be re-examined and for better or worse, those friendships will change...

  • ...
12
 70
 4,971

Chapter 1

Celestia's sun shone brightly through the window of the Golden Oaks Library where Ponyville's local librarian Twilight Sparkle and faithful assistant Spike the dragon took residance in. Twilight awoke to the smell of breakfast and the faint sound of her number one assistant Spike humming to himself. As she made her way down the steps and into the kitchen, she found a table filled with different foods such as toast and fruit salad set out for her. On the opposite side of the table, a plate of hay fries and and assortment of gems awaited the chef.

"Morning Twilight." The young dragon said as he gave her a warm smile.

"Hi Spike." She said returning the friendly gesture. 'Something seems different about him.' Twilight thought as she began to notice that Spike had his spines combed back a liitle nicer than usual. She also noticed that he had gotten his scales polished a bit. "So Spike, what's the occasion?" she inqiured.

"I'm finally gonna do it Twi." he started as they sat down "It's time I stopped hiding my feelings out of fear of rejection, so later today I'm going to invite Rarity to dinner at Aymard de Chouppes." Twilight almost choked on her tea "Aymard de Chouppes?! That's one of the most expensive restaurants in Ponyville! How did you ever get the bits to afford that place?"

Spike simply grinned "Rainbow Dash owes me money for a bet, I've been helping the Cakes clean up at Sugarcube Corner in my freetime, I helped Applejack out in the orchard, and lots of other small jobs all around Ponyville. That's what I've been doing for several months now to get enough bits for a couple of reservations at about 7:00 or so."

Twilight was surprised at the determination he displayed to make all this possible. "So when do you plan on going over there?" Twilight said finishing her last bite of salad. "Knowing Rarity she'll probably take 2 hours just to get ready."

Spike chuckled at the joke. "Yeah, well I was planning on leaving at about 3:00, sound good?"

Twilight was proud at how much he had grown over the past three years since they moved to Ponyville. About two years ago, he had a big growth spurt which now gave him about a head and half over Big Mac on all fours. Soon after that his wings had sprouted and were big enough to hold his weight and he could now fly as he pleases.

"That sounds great Spike." Twilight said as they both finished they're meals. She wondered how things would go between him and Rarity. "Things will turn out well, I'm sure." she said to herself, having the utmost of confidence that her assistant would succeed.

(~)

It was around 2:55 in the afternoon as Spike made his way over to the Carousel Boutique. He had a little spring in his step as he walked through the market picking up a bouquet of tulips for Rarity, knowing how much she liked them. As he neared the Boutique, he noticed a familiar pink-maned pony shopping in the market for supplies. "Hey Fluttershy!" Spike said as he walked towards her.

"Oh, hi Spike! What brings you here today?" replied the happy mare. "You seem to have made the extra effort to look good, is there some sort of special occasion?"

Spike blushed. "Yeah, you could say that..." Now Fluttershy was interested.

"So what's going on today?" she asked with a slight bit of enthusiasm to find out the answer. "Today I plan on asking Rarity to dinner at Aymard de Chouppes." Fluttershy was surprised to say the least. "Oh my, that must cost a lot of bits."

Spike sighed, "It did." Regaining his composure, he confidently continued, "But it will all be worth it when all is said and done, I have no doubt." Fluttershy was happy to see her close friend so confident about doing what he was doing.

"Well, good luck Spike!" He looked at a nearby clock and saw that it read 2:59. "AAAAHHH!! Gotta go Fluttershy!" And with that he zoomed off.

"I hope everything works out ok..." She thought aloud as she began to head back to her cottage."He seems awfully excited about this."

(~)

Only steps away from the boutique Spike began to doubt himself. What if she doesn't feel the same way?" He started to calm himself down. "No, you can do this. Just knock on the door and ask her to dinner, simple as that." However when he was about knock, he began to hear voices inside."I really shouldn't but...maybe just this once." He put his head to the door and listened closely.

"Rarity, ever since I met you in Canterlot those few years ago, I knew you were the the one for me." Who is this guy?!?! Spike panicked as he felt tears welling up in his eyes. His worst fears were confirmed when the the stallion inside popped the. question "Rarity, will marry me?" He soon heard an ecstatic Rarity screaming "OH YESYESYESYES!!!!!!!! How could I say no to you Fancy Pants?" Spike's heart sank to the ground. "I knew you wouldn't." Replied a rather happy Fancy Pants.

He couldn't take it anymore, his thoughts a jumbled mess. "How could she do this to me, weren't my hints obvious enough, wasnt me being a good friend and helping her enough for her to see?! Wasn't me being her fucking WALKING PIN CUSHION ENOUGH FOR HER?!?! Spike was enraged and depressed as he couldn't find the will to keep his ear to the door. He ran to the only place he knew where he would be away from anypony. He began to dash away away but not before bumping right into the door handle causing a loud thump. He ran off as fast as he could towards the Everfree dropping everything.Rarity came and opened up the door to see a final glimpse of a pointed purple tail dissappear down the road. As she saw looked down she saw something that made her begin to sob, a bouquet of tulips and reservations to Aymard de Chouppes. "Oh Spike, I thought you would be over me by now..."

(~)

Spike was no longer thinking as he ran as fast as his legs would take him. He was nearing the forest with speeds that would make Rainbow Dash jealous. However right before he reached the forest, he was spotted by none other than the element of kindness herself. She soon realized where he was headed and went after him.

"Spike, please don't go in there!" He plunged into the forest, completely ignoring her plea. Reluctantly, she continued the chase after him in the hopes that he would calm down and talk. "Spike, please just talk to me!" Not being able to keep up with him, she soon lost sight of Spike. "Oh my, maybe I should get the others? No, that would take to long. But should I really go by myself?" Concerned more Spike's safety than hers, she decided to go alone in hopes of finding him. And with that she dove head first into the Everfree Forest.

Author's Note:

Hello everyone, this is my first fic so I'm just sort of testing the waters here. Please give me any feed back as to what you thought was good and what should be better. Thank you!