• Published 27th May 2013
  • 6,018 Views, 216 Comments

Love Sick - FlameingToast



Twilight falls madly in love with Rarity...by accident.

  • ...
18
 216
 6,018

Epilouge: Under The Moonlight

Rarity took a deep gulp of the cool air as she stepped off of the train. She looked out over Ponyville, and stood still for a moment; savoring the silence. After a week in Canterlot, returning to quiet Ponyville would be welcome. But she couldn't stand around and enjoy the silence, it was late, and she was tired. A full moon illuminated the area, wildly throwing about shadows.

Picking up her bags, Rarity levitated up her luggage and began her journey home, or to be more specific; her comfortable bed. Taking a few steps, she continued to relish the silenc-

"Rarity!"

...Huh? Rarity looked around and saw, "Twilight!? What are you doing out here this late?"

Twilight was lying down on a nearby bench, and from her expression had been sound asleep a few minutes ago "I knew you were coming home today, and I figured you'd want some help with your bags."

"Oh, it's no trouble." Rarity said, forcing a smile. "Right now I just want to bring my bags inside, and go to bed. I'll talk to you tomorrow morning, if you'd like?" She took a step forward before a still grinning Twilight stepped in front of her.

"I've prepared for that!" Twilight motioned with her hoof over towards the darkness "Spike! Would you mind taking Rarity's bags?"

"Whatever you say, Twi." Spike said, stifling a yawn as he stepped onto the train station.

"Spike! You're here too?" Rarity said, surprised.

"I was sleeping until about ten minutes ago." He grumbled, "But, Twilight wanted my help so here I am." He shrugged.

"Yes." Twilight assented "I needed some alone time to talk with you, and some luggage might've given you an excuse to escape."

"Escape?" Rarity raised an eyebrow, almost unconsciously stepping backwards, "What do you mean by that?"

"Don't be nervous!" Twilight waved her hooves, "That does sound a bit...creepy, but I only meant so that you'd have no excuse to not talk."

"How about it's nearly midnight, and I'm about to collapse from exhaustion?" Rarity deadpanned "Besides, why would I make up an excuse to avoid talking anyways?"

"Well, after what happened I didn't know if things were still weird between us." Twilight rubbed the back of her neck. The moon provided enough light to see one another, but not entirely clearly. Shadows thrown by trees and various objects shrouded their faces in darkness as a gust of wind rattled trees at the edge of the platform.

Rarity was thankful for the momentary shade that eclipsed her blush "Oh, I had almost forgotten about that." Actually, it had been in the back of her mind for most of the trip, but Twilight didn't need to know that.

Twilight looked surprised, but quickly dropped her expression as lines of shadows danced across her face "That's what I wanted to talk with you about."

"Twilight, we already said it wasn't that big of a deal. Everything's normal now, and you don't need to worry about me thinking of you any less for it." Rarity assured her, petting her head lightly.

Twilight's expression turned from complacent to determined "No, it was a big deal. Please, just walk with me for fifteen minutes so I can get everything off of my chest, and we can be completely done with this if you want."

Rarity contemplated the mare before her. She did seem distracted, so maybe some closure would be good. This might continue to be awkward for a while, and the situation isn't going to just magically disappear from ponies memories. And to be honest, maybe immediately leaving after all that and trying to forget about it wasn't the best choice.

It may not be pleasant, but talking about it and coming to terms with it would help fix their relationship. Although maybe it never would be quite the same...

"Uh, alright." Rarity sighed "Okay, we'll talk about this and-"

"By 'talk' I mean our actual feelings." Twilight interjected "I don't want you to say it's no big deal and forgive me, if you're angry about it be angry. I need for everything to be in the open for this, so I know best how to move past it."

Rarity blinked "O-okay. I promise to be completely honest."

"Great!" Twilight emphatically nodded "Now that the dramatic parts out of the way, would you mind taking a walk with me?"

Darling, I don't think the dramatic part has even happened yet. Rarity simply nodded, unsure of what she could say that she hadn't already.

Spike watched the two leave, then turned to the daunting pile of luggage "Why do I do these things to myself?"

***

"Ponyville park really looks beautiful at night, huh?" Twilight glanced sideways at her companion. They were on a small hill in the center of the park, allowing them to look at the sprawling landscape. It appeared to have rained earlier that day, indicated by droplets of water on the grass sparkling in the moonlight. The trees were half-covered in shadow, and everything seemed to be frozen in time.

If another pony wasn't next to her, Rarity could've imagined time had stopped. It was peaceful, quiet, and the rest of the world seemed very far away.

"It certainly does." Rarity agreed, but said no more. Twilight was fidgeting beside her as they walked, and kept shooting glances at her when she thought Rarity wasn't looking. She obviously wanted to say something, but she had been the one to insist on the walk. Rarity was happy to wait and see what she would say.

"I made a list!" Twilight suddenly blurted, shattering the silence and causing Rarity to jump slightly.

"Excuse me?" Rarity asked questioningly as Twilight lowered her ears and blushed lightly.

"Sorry, but um...yeah." Twilight coughed into her hoof "This went a lot smoother in my head." Twilight took a deep breath as Rarity waited, her interest raised.

"When I was sick, I made this list. It listed the qualities in you that I loved. I thought if I could write down a lot of them, then it would prove my love wasn't fake." Twilight sighed "But...everything I wrote down was a physical attribute, and I knew that wasn't true love."

Twilight stopped as they passed a small rose bush. She picked up a bud in her magic, separating it from the plant and rotating it in front of her face.

"After you left that day Cadence came, I found the list late that night." Twilight stopped talking. All was silent for a few moments, neither pony sure of what to do.

"Twilight?" Rarity tentatively offered after a few moments of silence.

"Sorry, I feel weird talking about this." Twilight turned her focus away from the pony, and back to the flower. "Alright, I was about to crumple it up and throw it away when I realized something."

Twilight plucked a petal from the flower and let it fall down "Generosity." Twilight whispered.

"My element?" Rarity asked "Sorry, Twi, but I'm still a bit confused."

"A reason aside from physical attributes. Your generosity was the first thing to come to mind, and it's the most glaringly obvious one too! I'm still kicking myself for not thinking about it before, poisoned or not!"

Twilight closed her eyes "Kindness, self confidence, creativity, intelligence..." Twilight recited, plucking one petal off at every word, allowing them to gently flutter towards the ground.

"Suddenly it was like I couldn't think of anything bad about you!" Twilight opened her eyes, and turned towards Rarity dropping her concentration, and in the process, the flower.

"Rarity, it made me realize I may actually love you." Twilight frowned slightly "OR at the least that I like you in a romantic sense."

Rarity stared at one of her best friends, her mouth open. It was like a repeat of the poison fiasco, but this time for real. There was no playing it off as love poison messing with her head.

"I'm...not too sure how to respond, actually." Rarity started.

"So, what do you-" Twilight started before Rarity shushed her.

"It's my turn to talk now, and to be honest; I've also done some thinking. You see, I...started to feel romantic feelings towards you over the course of those days, as I kept imagining you and myself together. I decided to clear my head with a vacation, put all that behind me and really sort through this myself, or preferably forget about it altogether."

Rarity frowned and stopped at a nearby bench, sitting down she took a deep breath. "But I wasn't sure if I actually wanted to be with you, or if that your actions just made me think of what it would be like if we were together."

Twilight remained standing, hanging onto every word. Right now she couldn't properly gauge Rarity's reaction, she looked nervous but her words were calm and steady; almost rehearsed. Maybe I wasn't the only one to think about what to say, Twilight thought.

"So, after a bit it dawned on me that I didn't love you..." Rarity trialed off, looking away from her friend.

Twilight visibly stiffened, her eyes widening "O-oh...." Twilight turned away. The previous calm silence was now deafening, and as Twilight stood there she frowned as her vision started to blur. Don't you dare cry! What are you, a little filly? You knew this wouldn't work!

"I...I'll just go now..." Twilight whispered. She closed her eyes, and started walking slowly towards her home. Right now, all I want to do is climb into my bed, and stay there for eternity.

She jolted as a hoof landed on her shoulder, and stopped her "Twilight..." Rarity looked at the back of Twilight's head for a few seconds before continuing "I realized that I didn't love you in that way, but I know how good of a friend you are."

Rarity spun Twilight around, and stared into her violet, glistening eyes "A part of me did like you though, and after hearing how you feel." Rarity brought Twilight into a hug "I don't think it would be a bad thing to try."

"W-what are you saying?" Twilight hesitantly asked, feeling the warmth of the pony in front of her. Slight excitement entered her voice, but part of her was sure she was dreaming.

"We can go on a date, if you want." Rarity smiled comfortingly at Twilight "I think it'll be worth it if you really do love me, but I can't promise that I'll immediately love you back, or even if we become a couple."

Twilight's mouth was open, and her eyes were wide. After a moment of stillness, she lunged forward, bringing Rarity into a large bear hug "Really! You're not just saying this to make me feel better."

Rarity patted Twilight's head, returning the hug with her other hoof "No, I really do have some feelings towards you, and you're one of my best friends. If I didn't at least try, what kind of pony would I be?"

Twilight and Rarity remained in their embrace for an indiscernible amount of time. Under the bright stars littered throughout the night sky, and a pale white full moon above them. Time was at a standstill, and in that moment, nothing else existed except for the other. Eventually, they broke apart and walked silently to their respective homes, eager for the future.

~The End~

Author's Note:

I want to thank all of you for reading this story! All the likes, comments, and favorites motivated me throughout this story. After an indefinite hiatus, it was this story that brought me back to this site to finish. I want to thank Triforce of the Gods for proofreading most of my chapters throughout this story, and overall being an awesome person.

This story might not have been completed if it wasn't for all the feedback, so I want to thank everyone who read this once again. I sincerely hope everyone managed to enjoy this story, and I look forward to writing more.

Comments ( 12 )

Sweetie Belle could be the one who'll fill Spike's heart.

It's still labeled as "incomplete"

4606132
Ah, I forgot to mark it as completed. It's fixed now:twilightsmile:

Oh my gosh, this ending was so beautiful, thank you!:twilightsmile:

Your supposed to get the feeling that your forgetting something. That something is love poisoned scootaloo with applebloom. Possible sequel perhaps?

4606749
I was planning to write a "bonus" chapter about Applebloom and Scootaloo. As for a sequel, maybe. I have some plans, but they won't see the light of day until at least September. I have way too many stories to work on as is:applejackunsure:
4606747
Sorry for the wait:twilightblush:. But I'm glad you enjoyed the ending:twilightsmile:

Liked it, i can't relay offer any constructive criticism except for maybe wanting a sequel but that is you'r choice
8/10 from me not a master piece but a job well done
~Tobben

4609046
Thanks:twilightsmile:. A sequel is definitely something I'm thinking off, but I'm not sure when it'll happen. But I'm glad you enjoyed my story:yay:

You know "Epilogue" is spelled wrong.

Overall, it was an okay story that was a twist on the typical shipping story. It's good, but not great. :pinkiesmile:

RF2

That was AWESOME to say the least......So, I feel that the ending is a bit weak.....Because to me it feels as if rarity is just offering twily to go to a date because she felt guilty that she somehow played a part on 'poisoning' twily,even if she said it's nothing......

Accidentally in love? Somebody play the intro to Shrek 2!

I hope atleast somebody gets that reference...

Login or register to comment