Science Fiction Contest 151 members · 82 stories
Comments ( 27 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 27
Bicyclette
Group Admin

Hello, beautiful community! Thank you all for your patience! I know eight weeks is a very long time to wait for contest results, but as it turned out I really did need every one of them, given that we almost had four hundred thousand words to get through. I hope these are worth the wait!

Before we begin, I would like to thank mushroompone, Raugos, and Shrink Laureate for donating the many, many hours of their lives that it took for them to read these stories, reflect on them, discuss them, and write the blurbs you will see shortly. None of us expected such an amazing turnout, and I am forever grateful to them for their efforts.

Speaking of amazing turnout, thank you to all of you who participated in this contest, either by writing a story or by reading and commenting on the entries! We are only recognizing 12 out of 39 entries (30.8%) on this results post, but that does not mean the other entries were not appreciated or even beloved. As always, I encourage you all to take a look at some of the others. There are many gems in there, and we all can vouch for that, as each of us have multiple Top 8 (or higher!) stories that did not make this post.

And one last thing: the prize structure! The pool has been increased to $655, distributed like so:

• First Place: $150
  • Second Place (x2): $100
  • Fourth Place: $65
  • Committee Prize[1] (x4): $40
  • Judge Prize[2] (x4): $20

[1] 5th Place for archive purposes
[2] 9th Place for archive purposes

And now, the winners!

Judge Prize: "Iteration" by 6-D Pegasus

“Iteration” centers on an idea about the nature of the G5 canon, linking it to questions raised by events in Friendship is Magic itself in a way that is so natural that I am surprised that I haven’t seen it before, and grateful that someone has so brilliantly.

The prose is vivid and haunting, fitting for the desperation and tragedy faced by its protagonists, Sunny and Twilight. I loved how the idea goes such a long way in explaining the idiosyncracies of what we have seen in G5, and the darker implications it has and the unspoken dilemmas raised by them are quite the wonderful aftertaste.

Bicyclette

EIteration
Sunny fails to stop the crystals from devouring the land and learns a horrifying truth about her world.
6-D Pegasus · 3.4k words  ·  113  4 · 2k views

Judge Prize: "Plug at First Sight" by FanOfMostEverything

The joy of shipping is when you get two characters who vibe in a really cool way. Whose best and worst elements multiply to produce something greater.

An unreformed Sunset Shimmer is using advanced technology to harness the magic she lost when she came to Earth. A mad scientist Twilight Sparkle is using advanced technology to make AIs. They both have the ‘spark’ of unrelenting scientific genius, and the arrogance that so often goes with it. But Sunset is reduced to rummaging through dumpsters for equipment while Twilight has a sweet lab, so they make a deal.

This story is full of both the joy of mad science, and countless turns of phrase that had me smiling throughout.

Shrink Laureate

TPlug at First Sight
A tale of love, hatred, and mad science.
FanOfMostEverything · 6.3k words  ·  230  8 · 3.1k views

Judge Prize: "Station Thirteen" by Jarvy Jared

If stories were meals, then Jarvy Jared’s "Station Thirteen" would be your favourite comfort food that goes down easy and fills you up, leaving you all warm and fuzzy like a Kirin.

Whilst interstellar conflicts, grand conspiracies or unethical technologies might be considered staples of sci-fi, Jarvy has instead focused on delivering an unassuming tale about organic and synthetic outcasts becoming friends, and doing it darn well. The characters are wholesome and relatable, and very much in the spirit of Friendship is Magic.

"Station Thirteen" is simple and straightforward, with heaps of heart and charm, and sometimes that’s all you need.

Raugos

EStation Thirteen
A kirin and a changeling team up to unravel a strange mystery found at Station Thirteen.
Jarvy Jared · 14k words  ·  77  1 · 700 views

Judge Prize: "Sam." by Str8aura

In the not-so-distant future, ponies can choose to live inside a digital world where their every need is met. "Sam." is a science fiction, but more importantly it is a slice of life—a series of connected vignettes exploring the life of a pony who has chosen life inside the computer, though now feels that their life is somehow incomplete.

It’s difficult to say more about this story without unraveling its twists and turns, which I highly recommend you uncover yourselves. What I will say is that this story’s greatest strength is its dialogue; thoughtfully written, thoroughly engaging, and authentic in a way that grounds the high-concept science fiction premise in a relatable emotional reality. Every now and then, the conversation is beautifully, poetically twisted. It’s the sort of story that, had I had a hard copy, I would have spent time lovingly highlighting each profoundly simple phrase that leapt out of the text.

It’s not a story for the faint of heart. It pushes its concept to its limits, and will force you to face some of the uglier parts of humanity (equinity?)—but, honestly, there is something sort of poetic about that, too. "Sam." is an excellent fiction in the tradition of gritty, sometimes brutal early sci-fi short stories, and it is the sort of story that will haunt you long after you’ve finished reading it.

mushroompone

TSam.
(on boredom in our modern society and its effects on our ability to be)
Str8aura · 5k words  ·  11  1 · 205 views

Committee Prize: "3 Hours 47 Minutes" by Accurate Balance

Since its earliest days, science fiction has been used to analyze, criticize, and imagine alternatives to our own modern-day society. In many ways, social and political “protest fiction” is a pillar of science fiction—a long-standing tradition that still guides and shapes the genre. This can be a bit difficult to square when writing about ponies, since their society has structural issues vastly different from those that plague our own… which is where "3 Hours 47 Minutes" flourishes.

This fiction is intensely personal. It reflects the hopes and fears of its author, imagining a near future where the rapid burning and fading of trends has become the beating heart of human culture. Like any great science fiction author, Accurate Balance slowly, steadily pushes this premise harder and harder, inching it naturally from daily annoyance to the teetering edge of dystopia. The heart of the story, though, is the relationship between the narrator and a robotic Twilight Sparkle.

It’s another story that’s difficult to praise without betraying its experience. It has a lovely style and rhythm, its characters are all rendered to perfection, and its message is heart-breakingly earnest. "3 Hours 47 Minutes" is worth every word and more.

mushroompone

T3 Hours 47 Minutes
We are promised a future of stars and evolution, but this is what we might get instead. A future where all our passions are stamped into the ground could be closer than we've ever thought. A question remains: Do we deserve to say that we exist?
Accurate Balance · 10k words  ·  16  1 · 446 views

Committee Prize: "Teacup" by Mockingbirb

Domestication is one of our earliest technologies, taking the wild and untamed and free processes of nature and making them uniform, legible, and easy to harvest and utilize for other ends. This is agriculture and animal husbandry as well as bureaucracy and infrastructure, and it is what makes possible the complex societies that humans and ponies live in. But as part of a civilization that tears up intricate ecosystems to plant monoculture crops and rips calves from mothers to slaughter for meat, one wonders about where the line is, and why it is where it is.

“Teacup” explores the idea of pushing this line up further, showing us a world where the logic of domestication is extended to the very ponies that we know and love. And what better character to highlight the impact of this uneasy contrast than the Great and Powerful Trixie? What more sickening irony than reducing the very spell that gave her such triumph and joy to this?

"Teacup" makes brilliant use of its perfectly-chosen elements, saying more in its twelve hundred words than most stories do in twelve thousand, and I can't recommend it enough for fans of disquieting science fiction horror.

Bicyclette

TTeacup
Every day, all day, Trixie transforms pebbles and bits of rubbish into teacups, and she is happy.
Mockingbirb · 1.2k words  ·  104  7 · 1.3k views

Committee Prize: "Never Going Back Again" by NorrisThePony

NorrisThePony’s "Never Going Back Again" is bleak. It’s heavy. And it draws you in with all the crushing inexorability of a black hole.

Celestia wakes to find herself on a borderline-derelict space station, with little strength, no memory of how she got there, and only two other ponies and a quirky AI for companionship. As she learns more and more of their mission, piecing together details from the decaying remnants of everything around her, the existential horror of their situation sinks in and just keeps pulling, pulling, pulling.

NorrisThePony deserves props for writing such a gut-wrenching tale about ponies enduring one of the bleakest fates that space, science and magic can offer. But whilst other authors might settle for piling on an endless litany of suffering just for shock value, Norris has elevated this premise by providing Celestia and gang with a spark of hope, enabling them to persevere through sheer strength of character, fighting for a sunrise that they may never see.

It is a rare mix of dread and melancholy hope that is wonderfully executed and perfectly summarised by a quote from Twilight in the story: Co-operation is mandatory, and compassion remains eternal.

I am haunted by the journey and the ending, and expect to remain so for quite some time to come.

Raugos

TNever Going Back Again
Celestia is lost. She needs to get home.
NorrisThePony · 26k words  ·  154  4 · 2k views

Committee Prize: "Twilight Will Not Outlive Her Friends" by TCC56

Combining sci fi with ponies allows for the juxtaposition of cool hard science with magic, in a way that non-pony stories could never do.

In this story, Twilight tries to sidestep a simple but inescapable prophecy – “Twilight Sparkle will not outlive her friends” – with time dilation due to special relativity. Her friends board a spaceship that takes them on a distant trip at close to the speed of light. A year will pass for these five ponies, but a thousand years on the ground. It’s a trip they’re willing to make for the sake of an Equestria that needs its princess, their friend, alive.

They stay in contact, though it’s a somewhat strained video link, and not just due to lag – Twilight has minutes to think of an answer for every second on the ship.

At first this story is a melancholy fast-forward trip through the future of Equestria - every few hours Twilight tells them of another year of events back home, and it doesn’t take long to outpace the lifespan of the last living pony they knew. Then it takes a number of twists that take it to odd places. I don’t want to spoil those twists for you.

It’s never stated, but I see something Lovecraftian in this story. Time and space are vast beyond pony comprehension. The implacable nature of reality is not easily subverted with tricks, and trying to be clever about it has unforeseen side effects.

Shrink Laureate

TTwilight Will Not Outlive Her Friends
Prophesy says that Twilight Sparkle will not outlive her friends. To preserve the Princess, her friends must survive. They may not be immortal - but one year can become a thousand at the speed of light.
TCC56 · 6.4k words  ·  242  7 · 2.1k views

Fourth Place: "Call of the Wire" by Casketbase77

I just love the way that "Call of the Wire" begins: a whimsical, down-to-earth, slice-of-life scene of Big Mac trying out a newfangled contraption on the family farm and it going comically wrong in the grand tradition of animated capers. It would fit perfectly snug into the feel of the canon show were it not for mentions of podcasts, references to "Sol" instead of "Celestia", and the question of why Applejack is a robot pony that sees with visual sensors instead of eyes, pumps pistons instead of muscles, and thinks of herself with "it" pronouns.

This story is an absolute masterpiece of integrating advanced technology into the world of Equestria while still keeping, and if anything enhancing, the elements that made the setting so unique among all fictional settings in the first place. From the smartphones and grocery apps of current year to the transhumanist (transequinist?) deity that works all too well as an analogue for our beloved immortal horse goddess, I was delighted throughout to see how cleverly the story adapted the many bits of canon that it used, and how perfectly it paid off all those little setups in its first two chapters with the reveal of the full story in the third.

I am glad that "Call of the Wire" focused on its story of Applejack's journey, not letting itself be distracted from exploring its themes of free will, continuity of identity, and the connections that give life meaning to pony and pony-templated artificial intelligence alike. I loved it, and can't recommend it enough, but just a warning: it might only make you crave and demand more stories exploring other parts of this setting all the more!

Bicyclette

ECall of the Wire
Everypony still addresses it as Applejack. It's not sure they should.
Casketbase77 · 6.5k words  ·  420  5 · 3.4k views

Second Place: "Methane, She Pinkie" by Kris Overstreet

It’s easy to get Pinkie Pie wrong, so it’s a blessed relief that this story gets her absolutely spot on. She’s neither stupid nor annoying, she’s just really really focused on her goals. And right now her goal is to make a new arrival feel welcome, regardless of any obstacles in the way.

In this case the obstacles include the hull of a spaceship, about 200°, fundamentally incompatible body chemistry, and a mission that’s supposed to be a secret.

An alien spaceship lands near Ponyville to observe the locals. It’s stealthy, but not as stealthy as it should be, which is why Pinkie Pie promptly turns up to say ‘hi’. Her methane-breathing visitor is shy and was supposed to be on a secret mission so he tries to shoo her away. As if that would ever be enough.

He does get her to Pinkie promise not to tell anypony else… but other ponies aren’t stupid, and when she starts asking oddly specific questions, they quickly put two and two together to get ‘alien’.

This is a low-key first contact story. There’s no real conflict here, and there doesn’t need to be. It’s perfect just letting its characters be their truest self.

Shrink Laureate

EMethane, She Pinkie
Pinkie Pie makes first contact with an alien. Her top priority: what yummy treats can she make him?
Kris Overstreet · 14k words  ·  180  6 · 1.1k views

Second Place: "Speak Not Of The End Of The World" by Shaslan and The Red Parade

When Strawberry Sunrise was very young, she saw the sun blink out of existence. Since then, space has captivated her - just as it has captivated another, far more mysterious being from a different planet.

One of the most magical things about "Speak Not Of The End Of The World" is its sense of awe. Each of its characters look to the stars from their respective worlds with wonder and hope, and the thrill of the unknown is so strong in their stories and actions that you can't help but be swept up in it yourself. Even as circumstances gradually darken, the core of the story holds fast: there is something beautiful out there. Something worth chasing - danger be damned.

The emotional and atmospheric center of the story is only bolstered by its characters, its prose, and its creativity. This is a fic that is so completely engrossing I could hardly bring myself to stop long enough to jot down notes! Everything is done with purpose, style, and heart. I must especially applaud the masterful grace with which the mystery elements of the story are handled - particularly given the story's experimental crossing timelines. It is thoughtfully, confidently, emotionally written.

"Speak Not Of The End Of The World" is a wonderful, touching science-fiction experience. It gave me chills at every reveal, gripped me as I fell in love with its characters (both familiar and alien), and left me with tears in my eyes. I cannot recommend it enough.

mushroompone

TSpeak Not Of The End Of The World
When Strawberry Sunrise was eight years old, she watched as the sun blinked. It vanished for exactly four seconds, and Strawberry knew she had just seen the end of the world.
Shaslan · 22k words  ·  33  1 · 549 views

First Place: "Under a Synthetic Sky" by Logarithmicon

Have you ever wished for a pony friend? It’s a wish that Logarithmicon’s "Under a Synthetic Sky" fulfils vicariously in its depiction of artificial beings. There’s just one catch: how real can your pony’s friendship be if they were made to be your friend?

In the distant future, humanity has joined the interstellar community amongst the stars, and they’ve brought their very own bioengineered pony friends along for the ride. Twilight Sparkle, incidentally, is none too pleased to find herself abducted from Equestria and swept up in all the political intrigue and techno-espionage that comes with a spacefaring civilisation.

There’s a fantastic sense of wonder and practicality in the world that Logarithmicon has created, which has seamlessly integrated all the staples of sci-fi – laser guns, cybernetics and space travel – with the magical elements from Equestria, with a dash of dystopian vibes. The pacing is superb, too. It’s got just the right mix of dialogue and action to develop the plot, characters and worldbuilding simultaneously. I was drawn in and immediately hooked by the characters as they worked, bickered, fought and friendshipped their way through one trial after another.

In addition to all the cool action and excellent world-building on display, Logarithmicon has ensured that the heart of the story remains in the conflict between its characters. Twilight’s earnest faith in the power of friendship is presented in sharp contrast to the grim pragmatism and acceptance of the status quo exhibited by her new companions, and neither side quite gets each other’s perspective despite their efforts to talk things out. It’s a brutally honest and well-executed exploration of culture clash, made all the more poignant by an ending that isn’t all sunshine and rainbows.

In short, "Under a Synthetic Sky" is very pony and very dystopian at the same time. I frequently found myself torn between wanting a pony friend from the world Logarithmicon has created, and thinking that maybe said hypothetical pony friend would rather smack me in the head. Ten out of ten, would read again!

Raugos

TUnder a Synthetic Sky
Twilight Sparkle wants to know why she was kidnapped by aliens. Santana Guerro wants to know why a living, breathing space probe from a long-lost civilization is in his office. Both of them are going to need some answers, fast.
Logarithmicon · 25k words  ·  69  1 · 738 views

And that is a wrap! See you next year for Science Fiction Contest III! In the meantime, do check out the other currently-running contests below!

Congratulations one and all

Congrats to all the winners! It was a fun contest to participate in!

There was so much to read, but I'm glad I did. There were some real gems here.

Well, I won't say I'm not bummed my story didn't at least get an honorable mention, but on that note, congratulations to everybody who won, you earned it.

I am definitely taking a look at Speak Not Of The End Of The World. Great line-up, and thanks to the judges for their effort! Hope to see most of that discussion make it to all of the fics involved in the contest.

Congrats all!

Glad to see my two-fer entry at least got an honorable mention in both contests. Thank you for a great opportunity to go beyond my usual horizons. (After all, isn't that what sci-fi is for?)

Under a Synthetic Sky

There are a lot of crossover and AU stories on the site that throw two story worlds together and fail to deal with the fact that ponies would be absolutely fucking horrified with the world of, say, Firefly or Mass Effect. This story does the culture clash properly. Twi's utter indignation at what the other characters find normal feels so real, especially as the story fills in the context.

Speak Not Of The End Of The World

I have to applaud a story as ambitious as this. There's so much happening at once, and so many interweaving plot threads to hold onto. It also conveys the experience of a truly alien race, one whose physical nature is fundamentally different from both our own and ponies'. It's a story I'm going to have to return to in the hope of one day understanding everything that happened.

Call of the Wire

A concept like this could have been broad and amorphous, but instead this story focuses on the specific character of Applejack, through her replacement robot AJ, and the nature of identity. It had a solid ending, one that's uniquely tied to Applejack's role as Honesty - meaning it's a story that wouldn't have worked without ponies.

Congratulations to all the winners!

This was an excellent slate of awards, and it was a damn good contest.

Thank you very much for the nod, and a congratulations to all the winners.

Congratulations to the winners, and great work on everyone for making such awesome stories!

Hey hey, Big Happy to see my buddy Str8aura getting some recognition. If you read and enjoyed Sam., then check out the Grayble Anthology. Plenty of bite-sized horse words there.

You did such an amazing job with such a creative use of time dilation for a narrative :twilightsmile:

Just saw the premise, I absolutely am checking it out now too

Honestly, given how I've never really written anything sci-fi before, the fact I placed at all is really surprising. Thank you for the kind words of praise, and congratulations to everyone else as well! :raritywink:

FUCK YES CASKETBASE WON!
Congrats, man! Your AI was just a liiiittle more appealing than mine, it looks!

Congrats to the winners! :twilightsmile:

Congrats to winner! And a shout-out to all the other entries, even if you didn't place you might have enriched someone's life with a story!

Some really excellent stories came out of this contest. I hope people check them all out

Congrats to all the winners, and thank you everyone who participated in the contest! Now if you excuse me, I've go some reading to catch up on...

Congrats to all the entrants! Whether you placed or not, the important thing is that we all have more cool stuff to read later!

Thank you everyone for participating, and congrats to the winners!

Despite effectively not answering the prompt, I managed to develop a strong idea for a sci fi novel thanks to this contest.

Wow! I'm deeply honored to have been recognized like this. I certainly didn't expect to come in first place, so it was a bit of a shock to check the thread and see that.

There were definitely a *ton* of really good entries to this contest (I'm only just getting around to reading some of them, but they're very solid). I don't imagine the choices were easy; a lot of stories here deserved a win. Thank you everyone who submitted!

Thanks to the judges! And yes, I was going for as close to an episode-of-the-show feel as I could, given a first-contact story.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 27