• Published 9th Jul 2013
  • 1,508 Views, 55 Comments

Darklight - snoninja7



"Even you have your limits, Twilight Sparkle. How long can you, or all of the Elements of Love and Harmony, stand against an unstoppable force?"

  • ...
5
 55
 1,508

Epilogue (A Dance with You)

"So I was thinking, Twi, we REALLY need to take a trip to see Golem Lake."

"Spike, the Canterlot valley forest and several farms are under water! They have to clear out the rubble so the river has an outlet."

"I know, that's why we need to go there before they finish! I mean, how many large bodies of water do we have this far from the ocean normally?! I got it all planned out, we can each tie wooden boards to our feet and have Rainbow Dash tow us... "

"I got a better idea Spike, how about a romantic cruise for you with Rarity?"

Twilight had underestimated the effect this would have on Spike. His eyes dilated, and he was lost in a daydream for several minutes.

When he returned to the real world, he found her already dressed for the party. Rarity had transformed the glowing cloth that Darklight had bought for her into a beautiful dress that she was wearing for the first time tonight. Around her neck was the hero's talisman, which she had worn almost continually since her return. Spike saw her looking at the glass statue she had placed on the shelf, with a touch of sadness in her face.

Spike was still trying to understand what had happened over the past few weeks. For his safety, he had been staying at Cheerilee's house while everything was going on, so he never saw Twilight until it was all over. He was only now beginning to remember that last meeting he had with her before she disappeared, as well as fragments of memories from his encounter with Prometheus. Article after article had been written in the newspapers about the whole fantastic affair, and he was still trying to figure out what it all meant, but he could clearly see that Twilight was different. Different in a good way; she seemed more understanding and compassionate towards others, more interested in learning about them, or simply hearing their voices, as if she was savoring the experience of being with them. It was not the changes that saddened him, it was because he wasn't there to share them with her. Those two and a half weeks felt like a lifetime without his best friend, and he could never get that time back.

"Spike, are you okay?"

"I'm sorry, Twilight," he said tearfully, "I should have gone with you. I didn't think anything would happen... "

"It's alright... "

"NO, it's not alright!" he cried, "I couldn't remember anything, and because of that I made you look bad. I should have fought him off, or done something to stop him... "

"There wasn't anything you could do, Spike. Prometheus was too powerful for us, but more than that he knew how to use lies to manipulate us and make us all do the wrong things when we were trying to do what was right. But he's gone now, and I'm back, and I promise I will never leave you like that again. You are so much more than an assistant, Spike. You are one of my closest friends, and I love you."

"I love you too, Twi."

They gave each other a tearful hug. "Now, we better get to that party soon. Do you have your head bandage?"

"I still don't get the theme. 'It's all over, and thank you for all of the head injuries.' What does that even mean?"

Twilight giggled, "Don't ask too many questions about it, Pinkie takes great pride in being inexplicable. Now come on, I'll give you a ride on my back."

* * * *

When the doors to Celestia's throne room finally opened, the hallway had been filled with very worried ponies. Those who had participated in the efforts to save Princess Celestia were joined by others: Twilight’s parents had arrived, and Derpy now had The Doctor by her side.

Twilight figured that the six of them must have been an alarming and perplexing sight when they emerged from the throne room. Battered and bloody, yet strangely relaxed and happy.

“Are you alright, Your Majesty?”

“Thank you for your concern, Shining Armor.” Celestia had said, “I may look less than presentable at the moment, but I feel wonderful. I know everypony has a lot of questions for me right now, but I hope you will allow us a few hours to rest and refresh ourselves first (I know I could really use a bath right now). In the meantime, please find another venue in which we can hold a public gathering wherein I can make an announcement, since my throne room is currently on fire. If it is not too much trouble, I also believe a banquet would be appropriate for this evening, we have a great deal to celebrate."

Celestia noticed that a great deal of ponies were also looking at Solus with contempt and hostility. He stood close to Twilight looking shy and uncomfortable. He was surrounded by ponies who not long before were trying to kill him.

She continued "I should point out that the necklace this young stallion wears around his neck is what is known as a hero's talisman. It identifies him as a national hero of The Unconquered, more commonly (though incorrectly) known as the Barbaroi or Ghost Ponies. If you were to harm him, my own displeasure would be the least of your worries. Although most of what you think you know about The Unconquered is complete nonsense, you can be sure that they will find you, and they are VERY good at throwing knives."

Like magic, the hostility disappeared. "One more thing: Twilight Sparkle, Derpy Hooves, and this stallion, who I will introduce later, are hereby absolved of any wrongdoing. Prometheus and Chrysalis are the only ones I blame for what has happened, other than myself."

As they went to the royal baths, Derpy said, "Hey, Mister Darklight, love the new look!"

"Thank you, Derpy," he replied, adding in a whisper, "Though I think I look like a marshmallow with a carrot on top. Sorry about throwing you and the other ponies out of the room like that."

"Oh, that's okay, you just wanted to keep everyone safe."

Twilight's and Derpy's transformations from combat-scarred wrecks to ponies ready for a royal ball were testaments to Rarity's genius for makeovers (though other ponies had to handle the wound care). "Now I know that Princess Celestia was going to announce this latter," Rarity began to ask, "But could you at least give me a teensy hint as to who that handsome young stallion you were with was?"

Twilight and Derpy answered all of Rarity's questions—in the Barbaroi language.

"Wrong!" said Twilight in Barbaroi, jokingly imitating the voice of Raven's Wind.

"Again!" said Derpy in the same manner.

"Shoot at me like you're trying to kill me!" they both said in unison, falling into peals of laughter.

"Now that's not fair, Twilight Sparkle!" cried Rarity in her whiny voice, "I have no idea what either of you are saying!"

When Celestia did make her announcement, in which she told everypony about her marriage to Ignitus, the secret of Solus' birth, and his life story, to say that every jaw in Equestria dropped that day in response would not be much of an exaggeration. She was very candid in her speech, giving the reasons for why she did what she did as well as the mistakes that she had made. Several ponies who had been in her service for many years confirmed the truth of what she said.

At the banquet, Prince Solus was much more warmly received by the citizens of Equestria. He was never one to enjoy being the center of attention, and although he was polite and friendly with everypony he met, he preferred to be in the company of Twilight. When she introduced him to her friends and family, Solus not only knew their names but correctly identified some of their special talents and interests.

Once, Twilight had found Celestia and Solus talking to each other in fluent Barbaroi.

"So you do know Raven's Wind!" Twilight confirmed.

"Of course!" replied Celestia, "She is a close, personal friend of mine. Both she and her aunt Seraphim were guests of honor at my wedding. I told her all about you after you started attending my school, though I must confess it has been years since I last saw her. I hope she was not too rough on you."

"Oh... not at all."

"Be honest with me Twilight."

"Okay, okay! I wanted to smash her face in and gouge out her eyes! But later on I understood what she was really trying to do."

"Well, I believe I can relate in some way to how you must have felt. Each time I visit, Raven's Wind usually tests my hoof-to-hoof combat skills, so I know how much it hurts when she kicks you in the face (and I lost track of how many times she has thrown those knives of her’s at me). By the way, how many children does she and Eagle's Talon have now?"

"Eight," said Solus, "With two grandchildren on the way. She said that they were her proudest achievements."

"Indeed!" replied Celestia, impressed. "Perhaps it is time that we open diplomatic relations with The Unconquered, on a more official basis... "

Rarity suddenly appeared out of nowhere, "YES, I agree with you ENTIRELY, your Majesty, I saw some examples of the textiles that the Barbaroi produce and it is my expert opinion that... "

As the evening wore on, Twilight saw less and less of Prince Solus as he was pulled this way and that by ponies who wanted to meet him and be in his good graces. After that, he was so overwhelmed with his new responsibilities, serving as ambassador to the nations of the earth, helping Shining Armor to train the Royal Guards, and attending party after party in his honor, that she rarely saw him.

Now she was back in Ponyville, and on her way to her own party with Spike riding on her back. She watched the sunset as she walked, and remembered with fondness her time in the Village of the Moon, with Darklight.

Twilight had kept a relatively low profile since her return. She was reluctant, and a little afraid, of how the ponies of Ponyville would react to her after all that she had done. Would they forgive her? Could they forget how afraid they had been? Could she ever again be a part of Ponyville?

She was so much lost in her own thoughts that she didn't realize that she was approaching the location of the party. Pinkie's party cannon, Rarity's magic fireworks, and the cheers of hundreds of ponies came response to her arrival and interrupted her thoughts.

"Thank you, Twilight Sparkle," said Mayor Mare, "For saving Ponyville and all of Equestria!" She was on the verge of commissioning a statue and declaring a town holiday in her honor, but Twilight said that was not necessary.

There were so many ponies there, all the ones she expected and some that she did not. Many of the ponies were still sporting injuries from the conflict, so Pinkie Pie had the idea that everyone should come with bandages so no-pony would feel self conscious. All of her friends were there, along with her parents, Shining Armor, and Princess Cadence (who was the royal representative to the party since Celestia and Luna could not make it). In addition, and somewhat surprisingly, a large number of royal guards and Wonderbolts were also there.

Derpy had come early and had received the same welcome. Rarity had also made a party dress for her from the cloth that she had brought back from the Highlands. It mattered more to Twilight that Derpy receive the recognition that she deserved. "None of this would have been possible without her," Twilight said, as often as she could.

There were plenty of apologies to go around. Twilight apologized to Pinkie for the damage to her house, to the owners of the carts she had upset in the marketplace, to the guards she and Derpy had injured, and to Spitfire, Soarin, and Firestreak for knocking them out when they flew through her window. Forgiveness came quickly though, and everypony was only trying to do what they thought was the right thing at the time.

A large movie screen had been set up, and when it had become dark enough everyone gathered to watch the slideshow. The crowd in general didn't expect much from Derpy's pictures, and although they enjoyed seeing her smiling face with pretty Equestrian lands in the background, on the ocean in her pocket boat, and eating muffins, they were not that impressed at first. Soon though, their reactions turned to open mouthed astonishment at not only the skill of the photography but at the bravery it must have taken to get those shots. Even Twilight was astonished, she had no idea that Derpy had been taking some of those pictures. They saw the Earth Golem Prototype, with both Twilight and Darklight fighting to give Derpy the chance to get away. They saw Darklight in his workshop, making the glass statue he would eventually give to Twilight, along with his other beautiful and innovative creations. Action pictures of Raven's Wind fighting a very angry Twilight (was I really that mad?) were juxtaposed with those of her with her family, with Twilight after the Golem fight, and in a group picture with the other Barbaroi leaders ("I must go there!" Rarity exclaimed when she saw their outfits). Beautiful shots of the Village of the Moon, its inhabitants, and a picture from the back of Darklight and Twilight sitting close together with Darklight that made her friends suspicious of what was going on between them. Twilight thought that the parting shots of the three of them with the defeated Golem would be the end of the pictures, but there were also action shots from the fight in Ponyville, scenes from inside The Doctor's police box with General Blade, and perhaps most astonishing of all, pictures of Prometheus and the Changelings. There were several pictures of the second Earth Golem, close pictures of Derpy and Rainbow Dash in flight accelerating into the sonic rainboom ("I want copies of that one!" said R.D.), pictures of Chrysalis before and after her transformation, and finally, pictures of the conflicts in Princess Celestia's throne room from outside the windows. When the slide show was over, Derpy received a standing ovation, and several job offers.

Not everyone had completely forgiven Derpy, at least not yet. Rainbow Dash was still angry about her broken guitar, and still wore a head bandage out of medical necessity rather than to fit in at the party, so Derpy surprised her that evening with a new guitar, specially modified by The Doctor. R.D. looked it over with little enthusiasm, then started playing. Colors started to swirl about in the air around the guitar, and moved through the audience as the riffs became more epic, until finally, with one last amazing jam, there was a light show that perfectly simulated a sonic rainboom. Rainbow Dash stood there, silent, and appreciating the sheer awesomeness of the moment. Apology accepted.

"You know, Derpy," said Rainbow Dash, "I gotta say, that was some pretty awesome flying you did the other day (not quite as awesome as mine, but I'm not holding that against you). So where did you learn those cool moves?"

Derpy was delighted, "Why, from the Muffin Goddess, silly!"

"Huh?"

When General Blade was not having a heated argument with Granny Smith about whether or not Seraphim should have won the baking contest years ago, he was having a heated debate with Spitfire about who was Equestria's finest: the Royal Guard or the Wonderbolts. Evidence on both sides was presented, but oddly enough the conflict was resolved by Snips and Snails.

"Yeah, I heard you guys got your tails kicked by the town librarian and the village idiot!"

As one combined force, the Guards and the Wonderbolts drew their weapons and yelled "FOR CELESTIA!!" The two foolish ponies suddenly found themselves being chased by a horde of retribution.

"Show em the gates of Tartarus for me, boys!" Blade said as he egged them on.

"If you let the Guard show you up, I'll make you all fly laps until you drop!" added Spitfire. "By the way, I missed you, you crazy old fart."

"Come here and give me a hug before I kick your tail in a hoof wrestle," replied Blade.

Cadence, who had decided for her husband that he would not be a part of the Horde of Retribution, expressed her concern for the safety and longevity of Snips and Snails.

"No need to worry, Your Majesty," said Blade reassuringly, "They're just going to chase them a couple of times around the Everfree Forest. Besides, lookin' death in the face builds character, I try to do it every day myself."

Pinkie Pie was wearing so many bandages that she looked like she had been mummified at Mare-di Gras. She had caught Octavia in violation of the dress code.

"I was practicing my cello!" protested Octavia, "I don't see why I need to wear a bandage if I wasn't even there to witness it."

"Party rules!" replied Pinkie in a good natured voice, "Anypony who doesn't has to help me load the PARTY CANNON!"

"Now, honestly, is it really necessary to... "

"DO NOT QUESTION THE PARTY CANNON!!"

Rarity, who could make even head bandages look fashionable, had found an unwilling audience in Applejack. A.J. had been too busy helping with the catering for the party, so she wrapped a single bandage around her hat in a 'meh, close enough' kind of way and called it good.

"... So after seeing those exquisite colors, I decided then and there that we absolutely MUST open up diplomatic relations immediately... "

"Yyyyep."

"... I mean, it would be a crime against fashion to allow such fabrics to remain hidden from the rest of the world. Of course, the thread count is not quite up to my own personal standards, but that is just my point! There would be a lot of good that would come out of this kind of cross-cultural dialog, wouldn't you agree?"

"Uuuuh-huh."

"... And I told Prince Solus that I would gladly volunteer my services, along with examples of my own creative works, towards this very important endeavor. Well, then he said something about the difficulties of having direct talks with a pony nation surrounded by enemies of Equestria, but I really didn't pay much attention to that—take my advice, you can safely ignore most of what a stallion says as nonsense, although you should never let a stallion know that you don't care about what they were saying, did I ever give you that piece of advice?"

"Yep, but yer gonna tell me anyway.."

"And might I add that he certainly is a handsome stallion, and such a gentleman! I said to myself: 'Now there is a stallion that knows how to treat a lady, he's not anything like his cousin Prince Blueblood (I shudder just thinking about him), and so bashful too! It's so adorable to think... "

Spike was sitting nearby, and Rarity noticed that he was growing increasingly annoyed with all of the attention that she was paying to Prince Solus.

"Now don't you worry, my little Spikey-wikey," she said giving him an affectionate hug, "You know I am already spoken for."

Spike was the happiest dragon in the world, for about five seconds. "REAAAALLLLY?!... wait, by whom?"

The dance was well underway by that point. General Blade was having a relatively quiet conversation with Shining Armor and Cadence.

"Okay, I'll admit that the two of you did score some points in my book for helping save Equestria from the apocalyptic rock monster, but if I EVER hear about changelings in Canterlot again I will... ah, I can't stay mad at you two. By the way, I'm glad to see you working' together this whole mess, like I always say, there is no better way to strengthen marriages than annihilatin' the forces of evil together. You know, seeing pictures of my niece made me think about my Seraphim again, now there was one amazing mare. She could bake up the best muffins in the world, kick my tail in a knife fight, and still have enough energy to dance the night away. Haven't had too many chances to do any dancing since my wife passed away, mind if I borrow yours?"

Vinyl Scratch was bored out of her mind. It started when she saw the modifications The Doctor had made on Rainbow Dash's new guitar, and tried to talk him into modifying her sound system and bass cannon to do the same thing. He had been really uncomfortable about giving out any more advanced technology than he had already done, but things quickly escalated out of control when Derpy misinterpreted Vinyl's actions as an advance on The Doctor and yelled "Hey! Stay away from my fiancé!!" Always the easy going peacemaker, Vinyl told Derpy that she could request the next five songs, but to her own chagrin those songs turned out to be slow songs.

Twilight kept in the background a lot that evening, finding simple joy in watching her family and friends be themselves. Ponyville was like one big family, she thought, full of a lot of ponies with quirky personalities that sometimes got on each other's nerves, but still created an atmosphere of acceptance, appreciation, and love. She no longer felt like an outsider trying to find her place, she was a part of that family now.

Yet the family was incomplete. Twilight watched Derpy as she slow danced with The Doctor. He had been a bit nervous and self conscious at first dancing with her, but the affection that he felt for Derpy was showing through freely now. Derpy herself looked very relaxed and happy, she had shown everypony who she really was, and what she was truly capable of. She had found her place in the family as well, and she was with her very special somepony. Twilight was happy for all of her success, but in one small way she was a little envious. She wondered, with a touch of sadness, if she could be that happy herself.

"Hello, Twilight," said a quiet voice.

"AAAHHH!!... Oh, sorry Fluttershy. I must still be a little jumpy after all that training I did with Raven's Wind and with you looking so much like her... "

"I'm sorry."

"No! No-no, you don't have to worry, it's not your fault or anything, it's rather silly of me actually."

"Well," said Fluttershy with a smile, "If it helps, I promise I will never kick you in the face."

Twilight laughed, "Oh, you don't have to do that, I already know that you wouldn't. You know, it's odd, but I think the two of you are alike in more ways than just appearance, I hope you get to meet her too someday."

"Maybe," Fluttershy said, again with a smile.

They watched the dance for a minute before Twilight spoke again, "I wanted to thank you for standing up for me, it took a lot of courage going against Thunder Chaser like you did." Twilight thought about telling her that Thunder Chaser was the newest addition to a long list of ponies who wanted to date Fluttershy, but she didn’t want to embarrass her.

"You don't have to thank me for that, it's what friends do. Were you surprised?"

“Not at all, I knew you could do it.”

There was another pause, and Fluttershy asked, “So, is there somepony you wish were here right now?"

“Oh, well, Princess Celestia and Princess Luna couldn’t make it because they were too busy with the repairs in Canterlot, but Cadence was able to come and be the royal representative at the party.”

“Then, there is no pony else you wish could be here?”

Twilight sighed, “Alright, you got me. It’s just... I don’t know what place I can have in his life now. I mean, he’s the son of Princess Celestia, ambassador to the nations, and the newest “Equestria’s Most Eligible Bachelor”, and I’m just... the Ponyville librarian."

"I think he will make time for the ponies he really cares about."

Twilight's ears flattened. "He's standing right behind me, isn't he."

Fluttershy giggled, "Since about fifteen minutes ago."

Prince Solus stepped forward from the shadows. He wore a palace uniform, and his formally unkempt mane had been cut and styled. The scars he once wore on his body and cutie mark had been healed.

"I will go ahead and leave you two alone," said Fluttershy before she went back to the dance.

Twilight was beaming at him. Then she frowned, and smacked him in the shoulder with her hoof.

Solus was a bit surprised. "Uh-oh, what'd I do?"

"That is for that comment you made to Derpy about looking like a marshmallow with a carrot top!" Twilight told him. "I think you should be proud of your family heritage."

"I am, I am, and I really shouldn't have said that. The fact is, from all that I'm learning about my parents, I realize more and more that I have a long way to go myself."

"Well, I think you are a lot further along than you realize. I guess I should congratulate you on becoming the 'Most Eligible Bachelor in Equestria'."

Solus scoffed at this, "Blueblood can have that title back because I am entirely the wrong pony to be called that, I usually bore everyone because all I can talk about is Barbaroi linguistics and the chemistry of magic infused dyes. Besides, I'm hardly eligible anymore."

Twilight was feeling a little insecure though, and didn't catch the meaning behind the last comment, "I guess you are pretty busy now. With all of your new responsibilities... I'm just glad you could find time to come here."

"I would go anywhere, if it meant I could have a dance with you."

"But isn't your true place with your family?"

"You are my family, and my place..." he said, "...Is with the mare that I love. My place is with you, Twilight."

There was a lot more that they wanted to say. They said it all, with a kiss.

Author's Note:

All done! Thanks for sticking with me everyone! Hope you enjoyed the story!

Big thanks to Quylaa, co-author of "Fluttershy Gets a New Fridge" for helping me with the editing. And another big thanks for the mod of "Ask Chiffon Chemise" on Tumblr (ask-chiffon-chemise) for doing the artwork.

Comments ( 11 )

3535355 No lawn pixies were harmed in the making of this story.

It's finally all up! It was pretty fun working on this, and I'm glad people enjoyed it.

3592842 Hi! Thanks again for your help on the editing!

3592310 I'm really glad you liked the ending. I wanted to wrap it all up with something fun and lighthearted, building on the theme of families and showing how Ponyville is like a big, crazy family.

Wooo, an update! :pinkiehappy:

Nooo, it ends! :fluttershbad:

Will there be more? :fluttershysad:

3616405 Sorry, that's it for this story, but I have other ones in the works. I'm writing an adventure story with Lightning Dust as the main character, another story with the Cutie Mark Crusaders and Pinkie Pie, and another where Fluttershy is trapped in the Everfree Forest. I'm also working on a sci-fi, Dystopia fic with Flash Sentry.

Thank you for this story!

4239076 Glad you enjoyed it, more stories are in development.

its a really good story i enjoied it wish there was more :P but i always do with good stories. keep up the good work. ^_^

Great story good job

Login or register to comment