• Published 9th Jul 2013
  • 1,508 Views, 55 Comments

Darklight - snoninja7



"Even you have your limits, Twilight Sparkle. How long can you, or all of the Elements of Love and Harmony, stand against an unstoppable force?"

  • ...
5
 55
 1,508

Chapter Fifteen: Broken Ponies

"First, a pop quiz Ms Sparkle. What can you tell me about Lightning Duke Prometheus?" General Blade asked the group.

"Only what I learned from history books and my parents, since everything happened just before I was born," Twilight answered. "I know he was tried and convicted of murder, treason, and the unauthorized practice of dark magic by Princess Celestia, that he was banished but escaped and murdered Ignitus the Fire Duke for uncovering his plans."

"Good," said General Blade, "You know your history, but you'll find that there is a much bigger story that most ponies don't know about. Second question, what do you know about Ignitus?"

Twilight thought for a moment, "I remember that he came from one of the oldest and most magically proficient families in Equestria, and that he was a loyal ally of Princess Celestia.""Oh, I can assure you that he was much more to her than that—he was her husband."

Twilight and Derpy's mouths dropped open in shock, and even the Doctor whirled around to look at Blade in surprise.

"And BEFORE you all start flappin' your gums at me and drive me back into retirement with all your ‘why didn’t she tell me, Blade?’ and ‘how is that possible, Blade?’-type questions, let me explain: The Canterlot aristocracy back then was just about as useless and pointless as it is today, but with Prometheus’s machinations goin' on in the background, the atmosphere around the capital was downright caustic. Celestia has always been very private about her personal life, and neither of them wanted to deal with the gossip and spectacle that would surround a public, royal wedding. Ignitus himself had no ambition for personal advancement, he was happy where he was as her Duke and ally. Don’t forget that Celestia is a bit of a prankster herself, and she and Ignitus enjoyed a good inside joke, so the arrangement of a secret marriage was a good match for 'em. If you don’t believe me, I can tell you right now where the documentation is kept in the Canterlot archives, and name several trusted advisors who can collaborate my testimony.

“Then there was Prometheus. He was mighty popular in his day, got a lot of sympathy from the court when he lost both his parents and older brother at such a young age. We only found out later on during the investigation that he killed them himself. Can't say I ever liked him; I don't like ponies who blow sunshine and rainbows up my hindquarters at the same time they're trying to stab me in the back. Still, the upper class loved him: he always dressed real nice, was a captivatin' speaker, kept up on all the gossip, and was an all around charmer. It was all an act though, all he really wanted was power.

"The real hero in the whole affair was Ignitus. Though he was always loyal to the Princess and loved her deeply, in public he was more aloof and kept in the background, it was his way of keeping track of what was really goin' on. He was also a skilled fire mage, which was why Prometheus sought him out as a potential ally in his plans to take over the kingdom. Ignitus played along for awhile so he could find out what Prometheus was up to. I don't think he ever got to the bottom of everything, but what he did find, which included forbidden magic and mind control, was enough to get Prometheus convicted and banished from the kingdom.

"He saved Princess Celestia's life, but it cost him his own. Less than a week after Prometheus left the kingdom, I heard intel that he had returned and that he was after Ignitus. I went to his house as quickly as I could, but he was already dead—and Princess Celestia was the one who found him first."

General Blade paused for a few moments and closed his eyes, trying to push back the memory. "Just like that, the Fire family was gone, or so we thought. Not long after that, Celestia found out that she was carryin' Ignitus' foal. This was an awkward situation for her for a lot of reasons, but the biggest problem was the warning that Prometheus made on the night that Ignitus was killed. He left a letter on his body saying that he had just made the first of three visits that he promised to make; on the second, he would come for her child, on the third, he would come for her. So we kept the pregnancy a secret (you wouldn't believe the magic we had to perform to fool everyone), so that Prometheus wouldn't find out and kill the foal like he did her husband. When the foal was born, it was an especially lonely time for the Princess, so she named him Solus."

That was that name that Raven's Wind mentioned! thought Twilight, How did she know that name?

General Blade continued his story. "Prince Solus was a beautiful foal, very healthy, and he was a real joy to Celestia. She loved him more than any of us could imagine, but he still had to remain a secret to protect him from the threat on his life. I and my best guards kept watch over him day and night. The security was never tighter in Canterlot castle and only the most trustworthy of Celestia's subjects, along with my wife Seraphim, who was one of Celestia's closest friends, knew about him, but it wasn't enough to keep the secret from Prometheus. On the night that the Lightning Duke appeared, I had four armed guards, all of them powerful magic users, with me in Solus' nursery. Prometheus defeated every last one of them in minutes. He also cast a spell that made it impossible for Celestia and Seraphim to get into the room. I was the final one to go down, and the last thing I heard was Prince Solus' crying. All that was found of him was a bloodstain on the blankets in his crib."

Twilight thought about the scar running through Darklight's cutie mark.

"My guards and I almost died that night, it was only through the efforts of Princess Celestia that I'm talking to you now. That was also the last we heard of Prometheus, until about two weeks ago."

"Why didn't she tell anyone about this?" cried Twilight, "Why didn't she tell me!?"

General Blade shrugged his shoulders, "What could she have said? That she had been connected to a stallion by a marriage that nobody knew about? That she had secretly gave birth to a foal that had later been killed or taken away? I think most ponies would have a hard time believ'n that story, even coming from Princess Celestia herself. Besides, she had a kingdom that needed her leadership, so after a few days of isolation she resumed her duties like nothin' happened and put on a happy face for everyone to see, hop'n someday that her expression would match how she actually felt inside."

"I turned in my letter of resignation to Celestia after I failed to protect her child, but she refused to accept it. In a way, I'm glad she did that. The only thing I've ever been good at, or thought I was good at, was protectin' ponies and teachin' 'em how to protect themselves."

"Celestia did start to feel happiness again eventually. It was when you started magic school, Ms Sparkle. I could see how excited she was to have you as a pupil. I don't know if you realize it, but you mean much more to Princess Celestia than just a star student, I think you were also a chance for her to be a mother, a chance she lost for herself."

Twilight's tears had been flowing for some time now. Derpy and the Doctor were very emotional as well.

"One last thing I want to confess to you two. I had other reasons for knowing that I could trust you, and you are both wearing them right now."

He showed them a necklace that had been tucked under his breastplate. It was a hero's talisman. A locket had been attached next to the broken masks. "I am not worthy to wear the hero's talisman m’self, it belonged to Seraphim. I only wear it to remind me of her and honor her memory."

The locket opened and showed a picture of a pegasus mare. She looked nearly identical to Raven's Wind.

"There isn't anything you can do about what's happened, Ms Sparkle. All we can do is focus on getting you and Ms Derpy to Princess Celestia and try and prevent a final round of tragedies."

The Doctor spoke, still a bit emotional, after checking the console, said "We are almost there, where do you want to set down?"

"South side of Canterlot on the valley floor," replied Blade, "There are some trees there that will give us some cover. We're goin' to take the hidden entrance to the Crystal caves."

They emerged from the craft in that very location. "Alright, Ms Sparkle and Ms Hooves, you're with me. Lets go kick some tail."

The Doctor protested, "Wait! I thought I was coming along too. I don't want to leave Derpy without... "

"I think!" interrupted Blade, his loud voice coming back, "That leavin' an advanced alien spacecraft where it could easily fall into the hooves of the enemy would be a tactical blunder that we would never live down, if we live at all! We need you to gather intel! Besides, how many giant rock monsters does your girlfriend have to defeat before you trust her abilities as a soldier?"

The Doctor became embarrassed, "I... but I never told you... how did you know we were..."

"What, you think that knowin' somethin' about love and friendship in any way inhibits my ability to kick pony flank into next Tuesday? Besides, I know from personal experience that pegasi mares make excellent spouses! How do you feel about that, Ms Hooves?"

"Yay! I get to marry the Doctor!"

"N... now... now Derpy, lets not get ahead of... "

"WHY ARE YOU STILL HERE SOLDIER! GET THIS THING AIRBORN OR TIME-BORN BEFORE I BOOT YOU UP THERE M’SELF!"

The Doctor complied immediately. The police box disappeared.

Canterlot towered above them from where they stood. As they walked quietly along, General Blade kept the lead and observed their surroundings with a practiced eye. "There should be guards at several key places around here: there, there, and there." he said pointing to partially concealed observation points along the nearby cliff, "But they ain't there, and that's got me worried."

He signaled for them to keep quiet as they approached the location of the entrance, which Twilight was familiar with herself. Then they stooped down into a slow, silent crawl towards a low cliff overlooking the entrance.

They heard two voices, both familiar to Twilight. One was Darklight, and the other was the same that she had heard during the life spell.

"You never told me that the earth golem was your creation," said Darklight to the other pony, barely concealing his anger.

The other voice was calm and matter of fact. "Well I was going to call it the 'Terra Homunculus' but your name sounds fine too... "

"I don't care what it's name is! Do you have any idea what that thing did?!"

"Well, yes... "

"It drained most of the mana from the farmland and almost completely ruined a season's worth of crops! The Barbaroi would have starved to death if they didn't have food stored! Plus it almost destroyed an entire village... "

"Well, it's not like they have anything of any real value to loose."

"And it nearly killed Twilight and Derpy! And you knew about this?!"

Twilight and her two companions could see the two ponies now. Darklight looked the same as he normally did, except for a black saddlebag that he now wore. The second pony was richly dressed in noble finery and had a flattering but superficial air about him. General Blade indicated to Twilight and Derpy with a silent whisper that this was Prometheus.

"Of course I knew," Prometheus replied cheerfully, "What you are telling me in such a hurtful tone is not news to me, in fact it all went exactly according to my plans. I assure you that I have complete control over all of my creations. I only instructed the earth golem, as you call it, to attack the village when I knew that you had arrived in the area and were in the perfect position to do something about it. I'm only surprised that you are not thanking me for helping you get the real world training you needed to fight the Demon Queen as well as to be a hero to the Barbaroi ponies that you evidently have grown to love as well."

Darklight was still far from pacified, "So was risking the lives of both Twilight and Derpy a part of your plans too?!"

"Why are you even bringing that up?! I would think that any fool would read the letter I sent you and know that it would have been no great tragedy to lose either one of them! Which reminds me," there was a more sinister tone in Prometheus' voice now, "Why were you so foolish as to not read my letter the moment it arrived?"

Darklight became embarrassed "Well, I... "

Prometheus slapped him savagely across the face. "I will tell you why you did it! You fell in love with that mare, didn't you! I cannot believe that I raised such a foolish and stupid colt as my son! Do you honestly think that the prize student of the Demon Queen herself could ever love you back? I know plenty about this Twilight Sparkle, and I can tell you that she is guilty of a long list of crimes against ponykind, or she would not be in the position she is now! Her reputation as a skilled manipulator and a ruthless killer is well known throughout Equestria! I only sent her to you because her skills as a mage would be useful to you in defeating the golem, and you really should have let her die by its hand instead of risking your own life and the cause of freedom for the whole of Equestria to save her! You have no one else to blame for this mess but yourself. You would have known all of this if you had only read that letter, plus you would have known a much easier way to defeat the golem than that ridiculously over-complicated and risky scheme you two came up with. Now, unfortunately, she is still alive, and, I might add, in possession of knowledge that jeopardizes our whole plan! If you want my advice, you will kill her the moment you see her again, because I guarantee she will try to do the same to you!"

General Blade held his hoof in front of Twilight's face to signal to her to keep quiet. He could see that her blood was starting to boil.

The tone of Prometheus' voice became softer, almost on cue, "But don't worry too much about losing her, you haven't been around enough females to realize that there are much prettier mares than her all over Equestria who would jump at the chance to be your wife once you free them from the tyranny of Demon Queen Celestia."

Darklight abruptly turned away impatiently and said nothing.

Prometheus shrugged at his response, "Well, if that is the way you want it, so be it, but do not forget why we are doing this. Think about the ponies who have, for generations, known nothing but misery and fear under Celestia's rule. Think of how happy they will be to be free of her, to be a part a new golden age for all of Equestria as I take the throne. Imagine how grateful they will be to you for the part you played."

"I don't see how their opinion of me will change," Darklight said sullenly, "I will still be a monster, and they will only see me as a monster who killed their princess."

"They will love you for ending their thousand year nightmare," Prometheus corrected. "It is only under my rule that you can ever be accepted, and I promise you that you will have a place in their hearts."

When he again was confronted by Darklight’s silence, the menacing tone came back again. "I'm beginning to wonder at your commitment to my plans. Do I have to remind you of the power I have over your fate?"

The amulet around Darklight's neck began to glow, and he dropped to his knees and clenched his teeth in pain. Prometheus seemed unemotional as he spoke, "I was the one who turned your life around, Darklight, and I have the power to take your life as well. If not for me, you would still be attacking and killing innocent ponies. I stopped you, changed you into your present form, and gave you a chance for redemption."

The amulet stopped glowing, Darklight began to gasping for breath.

"Can I still trust you?" asked Prometheus, "Can I count on you to follow through on your commitment to me? To Equestria?"

"Yes," replied Darklight.

"Yes... what?"

"Yes, Father."

"Good, now is your 'map' ready?"

"Yes," Darklight's answer was more quiet, and he seemed even more unhappy.

"Then, begin!"

Darklight galloped into the entrance to the Crystal Caves. Prometheus disappeared after casting a teleportation spell.

The tree ponies ensconced on the hill began to stir. "He has his father's voice," General Blade said thoughtfully to himself, then he turned to Twilight, "I think you're right about Darklight, Ms. Sparkle, but he's not on our side yet, so you be careful."

They walked into the cave entrance after Blade made sure that it was clear, and both he and Twilight cast light spells to illuminate the way. Then he stopped them. "I'm going to have to do somethin' that I really don't feel comfortable doing, but I have a hunch that I need to trek on alone. If I'm wrong, and I hope I am (though I rarely ever am), I'll be right behind you. But if I'm right... let me just say that it's my duty to check things out in a couple of key locations down here in the caves before I go topside. I don't think Prometheus has exhausted all of the tricks in his goody bag just yet, so it is important that the two of you get to Princess Celestia right away. Do you know how to get through the caves?"

"I'll be okay," said Twilight, "I did a thorough survey of the Crystal Caves after the wedding, so I can find my way through, no problem."

"And I'll be right there with you Twilight," exclaimed Derpy.

"Alright, soldiers," said General Blade, "I'll be up there before you run into any trouble you can't handle on your own. I know Shining Armor will listen to his little sister no matter what his orders are, but Thunder Chaser can be a bit thick-headed sometimes so you might have some trouble with him. Just stick to your guns and tell them what you told me."

"And one last word on Prometheus," he continued. "It's not just my opinion that he may be more a more powerful mage than anypony alive today—and that includes you Ms Sparkle. You take him on as a team, or you fall back until you have a team. You don't have any other option. I don't want to hear any horse manure about 'fair fights' either. We are at war, and in war you fight to win because ponies who you love and care about are going to die if you lose. Am I clear?"

"Absolutely," Twilight answered, "Derpy and I will be just fine together."

They parted ways as General Blade took a side passage. Twilight led the way with her own light with Derpy galloping close behind, heading along the main route to Canterlot.

Author's Note:

We finally find out the truth behind the events in the Prologue and Chapter One. Darklight's real name has actually appeared three times in the story before this, and his father's name once.

Twilight's talent for asking the questions others don't ask is Darklight's weakness. He spent his whole life assuming that what Prometheus told him was right, but now that is beginning to change.

This chapter also sets up a foundation for the next chapter, when we get to hear the point of view of Prometheus.