• Published 9th Jul 2013
  • 1,508 Views, 55 Comments

Darklight - snoninja7



"Even you have your limits, Twilight Sparkle. How long can you, or all of the Elements of Love and Harmony, stand against an unstoppable force?"

  • ...
5
 55
 1,508

Chapter Nineteen: A Trio of Nightmares

Thunder Chaser shouted ahead to the surprised guards to allow them to pass. Several of them accompanied Twilight, Derpy and himself as they raced up the grand staircase.

Outside the throne room was Nightmare Moon. Twilight again felt the same fear she experienced on her return.

"WHY HAVE YOU BROUGHT THEM HERE!?" she yelled in her most authoritative voice. "I ordered you to capture them on sight!"

"Forgive me, Your Majesty," replied Thunder Chaser, sheepishly. "But in light of the current situation I thought... "

"You are relieved of duty!" she commanded. "Guards! Arrest these traitors!"

"Any pony who follows through with those orders," said a gravelly voice that froze the guards in their tracks, "Will have to deal with me!"

General Blade stepped out from the shadows. Twilight felt a little annoyed with him. Hadn't he promised to be there if they ran into any real trouble? How was a swarm of changelings and an apocalyptic rock monster not 'real trouble'? Then she got a good look at him, and saw that he was covered with the same cuts and bruises that she and Derpy had on their bodies, and she saw traces of blood. "Hang back for this one, Ms. Sparkle," he whispered to her as he passed, "We need you for the next round."

Nightmare Moon was livid, "What is this TREASON?! I gave you all a direct order!"

"Nice to see you again, 'Luna'" said Blade, who was refusing to be ignored. "It seems you've grown since the last time I saw you. Might I ask you why you decided to switch back?"

Her voice grew cold, "I do not have to explain myself to‒ "

"Well, if you were to explain," he interrupted, "You'd probably tell me some story about how you want to motivate your subjects. Seems to me, though, that using one childhood nightmare to fight another is a poor tactical decision (unless you do it right like I do), but it doesn't really matter because I'm done talkin' to you anyway!"

He turned and walked up to each of the guards present as if he was reviewing the troops, looking them straight in the eye as he passed. Even Thunder Chaser, who was two or three times his size, was frozen in fear.

"When I went into retirement," he began, "I did so thinkin' that I was leaving the protection of Equestria in capable hooves! I thought that I didn't have to worry about the safety of the royal family anymore because I had put the right ponies in the right places to do the job without me! AND NOW THIS HAPPENS! I have half a mind right now to come back out of retirement and knock the stupid out of every last one of you! I did trust you, though, when Miss Sparkle and Miss Derpy here showed up at my friend's place, I thought to myself: 'Blade, you got them all wrong, there has to be a good explanation for why my own boys didn't look these two mares in the eye, LIKE I TAUGHT THEM TO, and see that they couldn't possibly be stooges of Prometheus.' Still I had to check things out for myself, just to set my mind at ease, but it was really hard to do so when I got to the secret entrance to the Crystal Cave AND FOUND IT TOTALLY UNGUARDED WITH THE ENEMY STANDING RIGHT OUTSIDE!! Now I knew my boys weren't that stupid, that something had happened to the guards who were supposed to be watchin' things, otherwise how would I explain why you had overlooked the back door to Canterlot WHEN I WAS THE ONE WHO SHOWED YOU WHERE IT WAS! Then I little light went on in my head, and I thought to myself: 'Blade, if you were an enterprising member of the forces of evil and had some very important ponies to keep out of the way for awhile, where would I hide them?' So I went off on a little scoutin' mission of my own to a couple of those choice little places when I found myself up against a whole mess of Changelings! Right here in Canterlot! AGAIN!! So I took care of them (better send someone down there to clean up), and guess who I found? Your Majesty, if you please?"

Another pony stepped out from the shadows, calmly and decisively. Princess Luna looked around at the assembled ponies, watching the looks of confusion and awe on their faces.

Her legs were swollen and chaffed from the manacles that had bound her for almost three weeks, and her crown was missing, but although temporarily defeated she was not conquered. Behind her were the palace guards that had been replaced by the changelings.

Thunder Chaser reacted first, and pointed his halberd directly at the pretended Nightmare Moon. His comrades followed with their spears.

The swords on General Blade's back slowly unsheathed themselves and complimented the fighting stance he was now in. "So tell me, Chrysalis, are you playin' the part of Nightmare Moon because you enjoy being a bully, or because it's easier to change into somethin' your own size?"

'Nightmare Moon' smiled to herself and looked unconcerned. "Well, it was a profitable collaboration while it lasted." Green light surrounded her, more subtly now than the last time, more as a natural transition than a showy spectacle, and she transformed back into her true self as Queen Chrysalis. "I'm surprised that you did not choose to side with us, Luna. I thought you of all ponies would want in after your own sister locked you away on the moon for a thousand years!"

"My sister has always done what was best for me and the citizens of Equestria," replied Luna. "And if you have done anything to harm her... "

"YOU'LL DO WHAT?!" Chrysalis challenged. "I've been feeding off her magic for weeks now! She is nothing more than an empty shell, trapped in her own sorrow and grief for her family and waiting for me to finish her off! It was so easy to do too, her own love and trust for you was her downfall. Now I no longer need that fool Prometheus or his lackey to help me bring you down. I have all the power I need to have my revenge against the ponies who humiliated me! Starting with you, Twilight Sparkle!" she turned her gaze towards Twilight and smiled hungrily. "I'm going to enjoy watching you bleed to death on MY palace floor!"

Chrysalis knocked back the guards and fired a powerful beam attack straight at Twilight. Luna blocked it with her horn and fired back. A storm of pulsed shots were swiped out of the air by General Blade using his horn and two swords.

The attacks paused momentarily and laughed, "Why are you even bothering to resist me?" Chrysalis mocked, "I have all of Celestia's power now! I am the ruler of Equestria! There is nothing that you can do to stop- "

A large antique vase dropped on Chrysalis' head and shattered. Her unconscious body fell to the floor.

General Blade resheathed his swords with a slow 'sshhk'. "I'm goin' to keep saying this until somepony finally remembers: 'Always pay attention to what is goin' on in the background.' By the way, nice work up there, soldier!"

Derpy hovered overhead, grinning, "Oops! Hehehe!"

* * * *

For hundreds of years, Princess Celestia had remained unchanged. Always, there had been the ageless beauty, the long flowing hair that seemed to blow under it's own wind, the majesty and grace she carried her self with while remaining approachable to any pony. It had been the way that all of the citizens of Equestria across all ages had expected her to be.

She was not that way now. In fact, they thought she was dead.

"Sister!" cried Luna.

Celestia lay motionless on the floor of the throne room. Her breathing was shallow, and her magic aura was almost nonexistent. Her almost weightless mane was limp and partially obscured her face.

Luna began to cast healing spells. Gradually, Celestia began to stir and whispered something that only Luna could hear. Luna placed her head underneath her sister and helped her to get into a sitting position, but Celestia was so weak that Luna had to hold her or she would fall back to the ground.

Twilight wanted to run to her beloved teacher and friend, to help her, but she dared not. She and Derpy were still criminals, enemies to the Kingdom. She was afraid to find out what Celestia thought of her.

Celestia raised her head and looked at Twilight. She looked as though she had just woken from a long nightmare, relieved that it was all over. She smiled, and said, "Twilight, I am so happy to see you again."

"Sister," said Luna, "General Blade has already briefed me on the situation. We have very little time, and I ask that you listen to what Twilight and Derpy have to say."

Relieved, Twilight began to relate the complicated story as succinctly as she could. Derpy added in some details, but this was the first time she had ever spoken to Princess Celestia and she felt a little awkward. Twilight held up the spellbook as a piece of evidence and let Celestia examine the page on which was written the long range teleportation spell. Celestia frowned when she recognized the hoof writing.

The spell book was closed and on the floor, and for a short time it was largely forgotten as Twilight continued her narrative. In passing, Twilight glanced at the cover.

She stopped talking, and gasped, suddenly transfixed by the large yellow gem in the cover. It was a tracer gem.

'Whether or not you understand this yet, Miss Sparkle, you really have no other choice than to do exactly want I want you to do.'

'Is your 'map' ready?'

She had been the map. Prometheus had planted the rumors and lies about her so that she would bring with her the one piece of tangible evidence she had, the spellbook. Without knowing it, she had led Darklight through the Crystal Caverns, the streets of Canterlot, and the palace, straight to Princess Celestia.

"Block!!" yelled General Blade.

Twilight cast a blocking spell, and ducked as Derpy and all of the palace guards were lifted into the air, their weapons pulled from them. A kinetic spell launched them out into the hallway, piling them up on the opposite wall. The doors slammed shut before any of them could recover, leaving Twilight, Luna, and Blade alone to defend Celestia. The locking mechanism for the door was engaged, and several fireballs melted the lock.

There was no triumphant laughter, no long, cheesy speech. Darklight simply walked from his hiding place behind the doors towards Celestia, and charged his horn for the kill shot.

Author's Note:

I'm not sure if anyone was wondering when Chrysalis would make her appearance, or if you already knew.