• Published 15th Nov 2011
  • 1,955 Views, 33 Comments

A Fetch Quest for My Drink - RayneTheSkunk

  • ...
2
 33
 1,955

ch4

Fetch Quest

New Game

-> Continue

Loading life. Please don’t open your eyes during this process.
…... ….. …... …...
Load Successful

A gooey, red tentacle lashed at Berry. The tentacle connected to an oversized round mass of angry slime. A translucent roaring mouth ripped open from its center. Its solid yellow eyes reflected the group of ponies that huddled against the wall. “What in the world is that?” Minuette screamed, cowering behind Berry Punch. Her hooves latched onto her fiance’s shoulders.

“The darn things messed themselves into one big jelly!” Braeburn shouted as he raised his gun towards the gelatinous behemoth. “This one’s gonna be a hassle to take down! Y’all ready?”

A red flare blazed from Trixie’s horn. “Trixie is always ready to get a new trophy!”

“I’m in!” A fainter pink light lit up. Ruby stepped forward with an eager grin, bouncing a spike-ball on her racket. “Somepony has to keep you guys healed up.” She gave a quick glance to Berry, “You in mom?”

Berry belted a deep, frustrated moan as she pushed Minuette aside. “Minnie, get behind Cheerilee.” She trudged ahead, her gourd slung over her shoulder. “Fine, let’s get this over with.” A blinding flash of light sent them into the battlefield. Berry and Braeburn took point, leaping towards the beast while the mages jumped back readying their spells. “What’s the plan, Braeburn?” Berry said as she swung the gourd into the jelly beast’s center mass. The gourd lost all momentum. The jelly latched onto the foreign object, locking it firmly within.

Braeburn stared at the gourd for a moment his mouth slightly hanging, “Uhh” He pointed his gun towards the two yellow, yolk-like eyes. “Yeah... we sorta need to aim for the eyes. They’re the only part of this thing that’s solid. Anywhere else and that’ll happen.”

“You couldn’t have said that before I swung?” Berry shouted. She pulled and tugged on the chain, but slime’s body wasn’t letting go. It raised its two tentacles high above the earth ponies, swinging them back down at the peak of their arc. Braeburn clamped his teeth down on Berry’s tail and dove, pulling her on top of him. As they hit the ground Braeburn fired directly into the monster’s bright eyes for a hot twentyfive damage. A piercing shriek shook the cave as cold yellow fluid sprinkled their fur. Another tentacle came sweeping across the floor from ahead. Berry and Braeburn prepared to guard as the appendage rushed at them.

"Fire!" Trixie shouted, her voice full of strength as she swung her head, her horn slicing through the air like a sword. A wave of fire erupted from its glowing red tip, ripping through the ground before it and into the tentacle's path. The slimy appendage's blasted apart by the rippling flame cutting off its advance. The traveling fire burst into an explosion upon collision, melting the tentacle into a splattered mess over the ground. Hot jelly rained down on Berry’s fur and burned like hot coals.

“Auuuugh, get this burning shit off of me!” Her screams could’ve shattered a city of glass “Damn it! Damn it! Damn it! It burns!” Her hooves wiped over her face, over and over but it only served to spread hur burn condition. Damage numbers flaked off Berry’s burning fur.. She turned to Trixie, her nose flaring “Trixie! What is wrong with you!?”

“Be grateful The Great and Powerful Trixie even decided to help! She could have just as easily let you be crushed for what you did!”

A pink shower of sparkling light sunk into Berry’s fur. Thewarm aura washed away the burn.“I’ve got you covered!” Ruby shouted as she leapt into the air. “Hail Volley!” A rain of iron balls flew overhead, flying at the monster’s face. A few of them only just barely missing the eyes. Numbers in the tens’s fly dance out of its eyes. The monster was going crazy! It’s tentacles thrashed against everything, the floor, the walls, the ceiling. Boom! Rocks on the ground shook as shards fell from the ceiling. Crushing debris hailed from all over.

“Ruun!” Berry ran for the back of the cave stumbling and weaving as she ran, with Braeburn beside her. Rock’s nearly nailing them every time their hooves touched the ground.

“We need a plan fast.” Braeburn fell onto his haunches, panting. “If it keeps this up, we’ll be mashed into paste.” He said, firing off a shot in the scramble. Rocks battered his hp as fired blindly.

Ruby desperately scanned her surroundings. rocks, more rocks, a giant gooey tentacle beast,.... a splattered tentacle. “I’ve got it!” She leapt onto Trixie’s back, causing the show mare's horn to ignite.

“What's the meaning of this,” Trixie shrieked, “This is no time for a ride!”

“Your fire melted it before! That must be its weakness!” she lunged forward grabbing Trixie’s ears like the controls to a turret. Trixie’s horn lined up perfectly with with her target. Ruby’s hoof rose over Trixie’s head and BWAP! Fire erupted from Trixie’s horn, spiraling through the air and whizzing through the storm of falling stone. Light, bright and raging, brightened the cave with an explosion of fire and melting jelly. A brilliant golden Hundred damage hanging over the melted tentacle.

“Ow,” Trixie groaned, rubbing her head as the monster raged over it’s other tentacle, “You couldn't have simply said, fire? Little runt!” She grumbled.

Ruby cast a healing spell over Trixie’s head “It would’ve taken too long.” BWAP!

“I can do it myself you know! Trixie is not to be abuse-” Trixie snarled, before her head was smacked again. Another brilliant bolt of fire burst in the jelly boss’ face. The heat burning like Trixie’s frustration.

The monster squealed, left as nothing but a blob. Sweat dropped from the ponies as drips of jelly melted off the monster. Bubbles popped on its surface while smaller air pockets expanded in its body.

“Your days are over.” Ruby raised her hoof high above the growing bump on Trixie’s head. BWAP!... “What?” Bwap!.... “Come on!”

“Ow! Cease! Stop!” Trixie cried, “Trixie’s out of mp you foal!”

“Well now what? I’m out of ideas.”

Berry eyed up the monster and smirked. She bumped Trixie aside. “I’ve got this.” Berry strut up to her weak, melting foe. It looked down her with pleading eyes. It had melted so small it was now only a head taller. Her gourd still slid around inside its body. “This was mine.” She said smugly, yanking it with a twitch of her neck. The gourd flew to her side bursting out of it’s living prison. Her smirk twisted into something sinister as a purple aura overtook her weapon. “Now close your eyes.” She whispered, biting the chain. A murderous grin on her face as it was painted with yellow.

Berry Punch Leveled up “Handled.”
Braeburn leveled up “Wooo! Hoooo!”
Trixie leveled up “Trixie has a headache.”
Ruby leveled up “...sorry”

The jelly puddled around Berry’s hooves, lifeless. She slurped it off her hooves with a grin. “This stuff is good! Worth it.” She took a jar from her saddlebag and scraped in as much as she could. “I think we can make something out of this!” She said, giggling.

The others gingerly walked over. They trotted around the puddle careful not to touch it. It lay flat, and motionless on the ground. “Ber...” Minuette whispered “are you sure that's a good idea, what if it pops back up again?”

Berry eyed the corpse she stood in. She leaned close letting it’s sent tickle her nose as she stared it down. “Hmmmm. Seems pretty dead to me, Minnie.”

Braeburn shrugged, “I don’t reckon those fellas come back twice. Never seen it happen before anyhow.”

“Yeah, you heard the stallion! It’s safe” Berry threw Minuette a jar, “Now get off your asses and help me get this stuff up! I’ve got plans for it.”
__________________________________________________________________________

Choose a save file.

-> 2 Blueblood LV10
Loading life. Please don’t open your eyes during this process.
…... ….. …... …...
Load Successful

The Prince smiled at the small black save crystal on his desk. His reflection looking back with dreamy eyes and a bride winning smile. “And what a handsome captain you are. You’ll save the kingdom in no time. The mares will be at your feet drooling over your heroics.” A blue aura took over the quill beside the crystal. “And I should write about these times for my coming autobiography they’ll all be buying.”

Captain’s log entry 1

I have embarked on my currently top secret mission. My aunt as noble and wonderful as she is for trusting me to follow this through has made terrible judgement in choosing my subordinates. Nemis is a fine example of a well trained perfect soldier, but then there’s Momus. What is he hiding behind those masks anyway? Where do they come from? How does he have so many? I bet he wouldn’t dare talk to his superiors the way he does if his cowardly face wasn’t always hidden. Judging my ship, like he knows anything about what it’s been through. I suppose as long as he does his job I have to tolerate him though if something unfortunate were to happen to him. To put it simply I wouldn’t mourn too long.

Philotes on the other hand is dreadfully annoying. I just don’t see how she’s at all qualified for a mission that potentially involves us having to kill. Heck I don’t even think she could fight. She’s too friendly and clingy. Her voice is gratingly cheerful. I thought Luna’s lot were supposed to be aloof and moody, but this pony has been singing for the last five hours! I’m not in the slightest convinced she has any meaningful skills to put to the table besides putting food on the table. That said, not a bad cook. So that’s one tolerable thing about her. I suspect my sword training and Nemesis military experience will be the only things doing any work.

We’ll be making a stop for supplies in gallopolis. Perhaps I’ll take the time to participate in the hunt. Show off my heroics to the common folk. Let them partake in a brief preview of the future savior of equestria. If anypony ever gets to know saved them.

The current plan is to simply impede this Berry Punch from being able to get the ingredients. If we can find each ingredient and find some way to prevent her from ever getting to it we could stop Dionysus with no bloodshed, but it's hardly a heroic tale to stop a mare from getting groceries. Killing her is no more nobel unless she makes a villain out of herself. I’d rather take on Dionysus directly. Greatest Aunt Luna’s sake I must be practical, but I swear I’ll prove Dionysus was behind the tragedy. I just need to find a way to reveal him.

“Oh prince-y!” Sang Philotes’ high gleeful voice. The door swung open as she danced into the room. Here hooves floated just above the floor, her bat wings constantly fluttering. “I finished dinner! I made a cake to celebrate our first day together! Come on, it's a nice warm and flavored with veryberries!”

“Very well. I’ll go over my foolproof plan over a meal.” He said with a grin full across his face.

________________________________________________________________________

The party fought their way through the rest of the mountain. Every few fights they’d swap places in combat. It took hours to finally come out the cave on the other side. Once the blinding light of the outside stopped singing their eyes they could see the portrait of nature on the side The sun was setting on A serene cliffside view that overlooked the hills. Gallant yellow flowers cover the mountainside and lead the trail down the mountain. The valley below even from so high up is dotted with the wild brightness of colourful flowers.

“Ugh finally. That was like eighty battles!” Berry said before falling to the dirt.

“Only because your the brat insists on checking everysingle chest derpy sees,” trixie moans before falling atop of Berry.

“I just like to be thorough. We found found protective charms for each of us, antipoison, and a new spear for Derpy. I think it was perfectly worth our time. Now each of you put on these bangles. They’re colour coated based on what element they protect from” Ruby said as she wrapped a bangle around each of the adult’s hooves.

The sound of flapping echoed above as Fluttershy descended before them with all the grace of an angel. “Oh thank goodness I found you. I’ve been meaning to tell you the battle rules have changed”

“You’re a bit late fluttershy but you get a B for the effort” Cheerilee says trying her best to not sound tired.

“Oh my. I am very late aren’t I. Well I should let you know that the active combat could switch back any time. Luna and Celestia are having disagreements about how the system should protect ponies. You’re getting awfully far from ponyville so I won’t be able to keep flying to you like this”

Ruby wrapped an anti-fire bangle on herself, “That’s okay Miss fluttersh-”

“But you can check my blog!” Fluttershy cheered. “I’m always posting updates and tutorials so if there's anything you don’t know just log onto flutter-torial dot com.”

“Trixie has a question right now. How does Trixie get her caravan back!” She whined

“Oh that's simple.” Fluttershy said with a smile, “With the save crystals it can be teleported to you. They retrieve your memory of a vehicle's last known location and bring it straight to you if it's suitable”

“And where's the next one pray tell!” Trixie pressed.

“Down the bottom of the mountain trail” Fluttershy said pointing at the winding path down several miles of mountain side.

“UGHHH” A moan of despair belted from every member of the party.

Author's Note:



Comments ( 3 )

An old story back from the dead? Most intriguing. Must re-read to catch up on it all, yes. Though this hcapter has been fun, on its own.

MEIN GOTT

It lives!

Hey, I remember this story. To think it would come back to life seven years later.

Login or register to comment