• Published 28th Mar 2013
  • 1,857 Views, 27 Comments

Apple Bloom and the Timberwolf - Metool Bard

  • ...
1
 27
 1,857

After the Show

"Well, that was fun!" said Pinkie with a huge grin. "Did everypony have a good time?"

"I guess," said Apple Bloom with a sigh.

Pinkie tilted her head. "Hey. Why so glum, chum?" she asked.

"It's not fair," said Apple Bloom sadly. "I risk mah life tryin' to wrangle a timberwolf, and I don't even get my Cutie Mark."

"Well, to be fair, this was a semi-tame timberwolf," said Discord. "It didn't technically count."

"Besides, we're all proud of ya, Cutie Mark or no Cutie Mark," Babs Seed added. "You were awesome, Cuz!"

Apple Bloom blushed. "Aw, c'mon. I wasn't that great."

"My hoof you weren't!" said Granny Smith, patting Apple Bloom on the head. "You showed them ponies a good time, and you managed to hold your own against a timberwolf. What's not to be proud of?"

"She's right, y'know."

Apple Bloom perked up, and she turned to see Applejack and Big Macintosh walk in.

"Hey, AJ! Hey, Big Mac!" said Pinkie. "How'd you like the show?"

"It was pretty neat, Pink," said Applejack with a smile. "And we both thought Apple Bloom was amazin'. Didn't we, Big Mac?"

"Eeyup," said Big Mac with a nod.

Apple Bloom grinned from ear to ear. "Thanks, y'all. Now that I think about it, I actually had a lot of fun."

"Well, that was the idea," said Pinkie with a wide grin of her own. "It didn't really matter how good we were, as long as we all had fun and made everypony smile."

"While I have to agree that this was quite enjoyable, I don't think the theater critics are going to have the same mindset," said Octavia. "I have the feeling that most of them are going to think this was very unprofessional and sloppy, what with the missed cues and constant interruptions."

"I felt that was part of the fun," said Discord with a shrug. "Honestly, if the critics bash this show, they have no idea what good entertainment is."

"I like the way this guy thinks."

Octavia turned and saw her roommate Vinyl Scratch walk in.

"I didn't think this was your type of music, Vinyl," said Octavia with a playful smirk.

"Oh, don't be like that, Tavi," said Vinyl with a laugh. "Am I not allowed to check out one of your performances every once in a while? By the way, you rocked. So did the rest of the band."

Octavia sighed. "It's not a band, Vinyl. It's an orchestra."

"I thought you said it was an ensemble."

"That's diff—! Ugh, why do I even bother?"

Vinyl burst out laughing at Octavia's frustration. Slick Licks looked on in confusion.

"Do those two always act like that?" he asked Beauty Brass.

"More than you know," said Beauty Brass. "It's, pretty complicated from what I hear."

"Huh," said Slick Licks with a shrug. "Boy, those two sure are a couple of crazy cats."

As if part of an obvious segue, Opal walked in and began brushing herself against Slick Licks's legs. Rarity and Sweetie Belle trotted over.

"It appears Opal enjoyed your music, Mr. Licks," said Rarity.

"Heh. Looks like it," said Slick Licks. "You two weren't half bad yourselves, once you got your acts together."

Sweetie Belle flattened her ears and sighed. "That was my fault. I wanted to play in the orchestra so I could get my Cutie Mark, but that big ole bassoon was the only instrument left."

Rarity gave her sister a warm smile and placed a foreleg around her. "I wouldn't fret over it, darling. At least we enjoyed ourselves."

Sweetie Belle looked up, and gave a smile of her own. "Yeah, I guess you're right."

Rarity chuckled, and then became serious in an instant. "You still owe me, though."

Sweetie giggled. "I know," she said, giving her older sister a hug.

All of the tender scenes were interrupted by a snarl from the timberwolf.

"Whoops! I knew I was forgetting something," said Discord with a snap of his fingers. And just like that, the timberwolf disassembled itself and flew back to the Everfree Forest from which it came. Pinkie stared a Discord blankly.

"Huh. I didn't see that one coming," she said. "I thought we'd have a wacky scene where it went out of control, and Granny Smith had to use the pots."

Discord snickered. "While that would've been hilarious, I know that nopony breaks a Pinkie Promise. At least, nopony that knows what's good for them." He then winked at Applejack, whose face started to turn a bit red.

"I'd appreciate it if I wasn't reminded of that," she said, hiding her face with her hat. "I don't even know how you knew 'bout that. You weren't there."

"Master of Chaos, remember? It makes sense for me not to make sense," said Discord.

Applejack had to chuckle. "I suppose I can't argue with that logic," said she.

"Oh, Discord!" said Fluttershy, flying in with Hummingway and Mrs. Duckworth. "Mrs. Duckworth says she wants to apologize for doubting you."

"It's alright, my dear," said Discord with a sweet smile. "I know I'm not the most trustworthy fellow around. But like I said, one doesn't simply break a Pinkie Promise."

"Darn right," said Pinkie. "So, Fluttershy! How'd you like the play?"

"It was nice, despite some of the hiccups," said Fluttershy. "Hummingway had a great time, and so did Mrs. Duckworth."

"I gotta admit, we had fun, too," Spitfire chimed in. "I'm actually surprised you managed to work us in at the last minute."

"Actually, that was just improvisation," said Pinkie with a goofy grin.

The Wonderbolts stared blankly at Pinkie.

"I don't think we're supposed to think too much about it, Boss," said Rapidfire.

Spitfire was about to comment when she felt a gentle prodding against her side. She turned to see Scootaloo, who had a big smile plastered on her face.

"Oh, hey there," said Spitfire. "What's up?"

"I-I just wanna say how a-awesome it was to be s-s-standing with you, and, uh... CouldIhaveyourautograph?!"

Spitfire stifled a giggle. "Well, of course you can. Does anypony have a pen?"

Discord snapped his fingers, and a quill and some parchment appeared right before Spitfire's eyes.

"Thanks," she said.

"S'aright," said Discord with a bow.

Spitfire sniggered a bit and took the quill in hoof. "Now, who am I making this out to?"

"Scootaloo," the orange filly blurted out. "Oh, and could you also add 'Get Well Soon, Rainbow Dash' to it? She's feeling kinda sick right now, and it'd mean a lot to her."

"It'd be my pleasure," said Spitfire warmly. She made out the autograph and gave it to Scootaloo.

"Thanks a bunch, Ms. Spitfire!" said Scootaloo joyfully. "Oh man! I don't even care that I didn't get my Cutie Mark! This play was awesome!"

Spike smirked as he watched all of the antics in silence. He then turned to Noteworthy. "Well, that was a pretty crazy performance."

"Yeah, but it was the good kind of crazy," said Noteworthy. "Even if the critics are left scratching their heads, I think they'll probably get a chuckle or two during this production."

"It wouldn't be a Pinkie Pie play if there wasn't," said Spike with a snicker of his own.

"Alright, everypony! Listen up!" Pinkie announced, clapping her hooves to get everyone's attention. "We're having a wrap party at Sugarcube Corner for all who are interested! There will be lots of cakes and pies for everyone!"

"Did somepony say pie?! Oh man, count me in!" said Soarin'.

There was a shared laugh as everyone made their way to the Canterlot train station, humming snippets from the performance all the way.

"Well, I'd say this was a rousing success, Discord," said Pinkie, walking alongside the draconequus. "Everypony had a good time..."

"Yeah, if being shot out of a sousaphone counts as a good— *mmph*"

The heckler from before came up to complain, but Discord silenced him by zipping his mouth shut. Pinkie cleared her throat.

"Well, almost everypony had a good time," she clarified. "And we all had lots and lots of fun putting it together. So, what's next?"

"Oh, I have some ideas running around," said Discord. "Might take some time to actually put them together, and we might want to rework the introduction a bit, but it'll be just as fun as this was."

Pinkie smiled. "Discord, I believe that this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship."

"Agreed," said Discord. "Almost makes me wonder why you didn't give me a chance when Celestia first decreed that I should be reformed."

"Are you really going to bring that up now?"

"I'm just saying that you of all ponies should've been the most comfortable with chaos."

"Well, I am, but you summoned that yummy chocolate rain without a dollop of whipped cream to go with it."

"I promise, the next time I do that, I'll remember. Is that really the only reason you didn't trust me?"

"Kinda."

"That doesn't make sense. I like that..."

The End (of the story)

Author's Note:

Will the Fourth Wall Theater Troupe return? Well, maybe. Like Discord said, I have one or two ideas running around, but I have to consider how to present them. It would be pretty confusing if each production had more or less the same synopsis. :applejackunsure:

I will say this, though. If anyone else is interested in making a Fourth Wall Theater Troupe story, they're welcome to it. Just, be sure to credit me for the concept. :twilightsmile:

Comments ( 7 )

"I thought we'd have a wacky scene where it went out of control, and Granny Smith had to use the pots."

Heh, that was exactly one of the things I almost guessed after last chapter, but then I decided that, nah, that probably wasn't going to happen.

Oh and 2355546, it's more that I was surprised to realize just how few events actually transpire in the original story.

This was a very entertaining reading. :pinkiesmile: I like these kind of fics, they remind me of when I was in drama class at school (even though we only did comedies :rainbowlaugh:)

3127555 Thanks. I'm glad you enjoyed it. :twilightsmile:

Funding for this production was made possible by the Please Prevent Pinkie Pie and Discord From Getting Bored Foundation.

You know, this foundation actually does really, really important work for all Equestria. Sure, you think, it would be better to donate to the Habitat for Equinity foundation or the Big Brother/Big Sister Best Friends Forever organization for troubled yearlings or maybe the March of Bits... but think about it, how much good work could any of those other organizations possibly do if a parade of flying monkeys setting off edible fireworks and playing the bongos were to march through their offices with a singing banana performing "The Ants Go Marching One By One" at the head? Keeping Discord and Pinkie Pie from getting bored is actually one of the most important causes you can donate to for the benefit of your fellow Equestrians! And I'm not just saying this because Discord paid me. Seriously. (Hides the cherry cheese danishes that Pinkie bribed me with)

4613201 I think you mean Environment for Equinity. :raritywink:

"Master of Chaos, remember? It makes sense for me not to make sense," said Discord.

And it is glorious!

Applejack had to chuckle. "I suppose I can't argue with that logic," said she.

What logic?

7514363

No problem! The music's half the fun of the original story, and even if they only appear once in the story, people should still have an idea of what they're supposed to sound like!

Login or register to comment