• Published 12th Mar 2013
  • 5,006 Views, 251 Comments

Dawn of A New Era - Darkswirl

  • ...
23
 251
 5,006

Informative Chapter

Due to recent complaints and inquires, Dawn of a New Era will be undergoing a near complete revision in order to correct several scientific mistakes. Please keep in mind, however, that some "mistakes" were intentional and will remain in the story after revision. They will be explained later on.

In the mean time, my number one source for validity on all of this stuff is busy with college, so I'm looking for a few hands to help out. If you have any credentials, that would be superb (as long as you can offer proof), but they are not required.

Normal chapters will resume (hopefully) within the month.

Please send me a private message if you would like to help me fix my broken story.

This chapter will be deleted upon revision.

Comments ( 59 )

well good luck man, hope it goes well. I thought the story was just fine:twilightsmile:

THIS IS WHY WE CAN'T HAVE NICE THINGS Hope everything works out for you!

2274100
I think so too. It would have been nice to know that Rainbow Dash didn't die.

God fucking damnit guy, have you any idea how bored I am right now, I have literally nothing to do but stare at my screen refreshing every few seconds. D:
Please god help me! :pinkiecrazy: I need words for my eyes to feed on.

2274119 I already told you: They didn't hit Rainbow Dash.

2274126

You must be thinking of someone else. The question I asked of you earlier was about the story's estimated length. Thanks anyway for the heads-up, though I honestly think it was fine as it is. Why would need to revise it at such an early stage?

Here is a excellent site for fact checking. UI is horrible, but it goes through every possible route for a sci fi space ship that complies with actual science.
http://www.projectrho.com/public_html/rocket/crossindex.php

2274146 Because it means less work if I revise it when there's more to revise. That, and to show people exactly what was meant to sound wrong (i.e. the fact that they had found the planet twelve years ago and are only now getting to it) and what isn't (i.e. why they spent a month floating around the solar system trying to find the planet).

2274163

Sounds like it'll get complicated if I pry any further, so I won't :twilightoops:

I kind of liked it the way it was before but it's completely up to you!

O'Reilly sounds Irish to me, a more scottish name would be McPherson or Strachan. just a suggestion

question why do things need to be 100% scientifically correct? We are in equestria after all.

2274191 Because if I do so, people will stop telling me to do so and actually read the story instead of looking for mistakes.

2274191
Because it makes the story look good.

:O HOW DARE YOU PRIORITY ALREADY EXISTING CHAPTERS BEFORE THE NEXT CHAPTER!! I WILL SMUTTER YOU WITH A PILLOW IF YOU DON'T BRInG FORTH THE NEXT CHAPTER!!

(But seriosly though, I'm really excited for the next chapter, and I think the two first chapters are fine as they are (it is called 'fanfiction' for a reason :rainbowwild:), but you do as you please :) )

Good luck, my friend :twilightsmile:

:trixieshiftright::trixieshiftleft: The story is like 5k words right now, unless you be holdin out on us.

Another thing you might want to change: Emono Mytsukiano is supposed to be a Japanese name right? Sadly this can't be Japanese because in Japanese writing the Y only comes as Yo, Yu, Ya. Never as for example My, You might want to change it to: Emono mitsukiano which is possible (えものみつきなお in Japanese Hiragana)

>story barely 5k words
>over 300 likes
>have been featured
>is going to be revised

Damn you picky people. Because of you we can't have nice things.

Just do what I do and make up your own sci-fi pseudoscience BS. This is your universe, and as long as the rules make sense, there is no just cause for alarm. You don't have to explain things now, just as long as they are explained when they are needed.

I can't say I have any "credentials", but I am an engineering student that has a couple years experience with physics and read about new developments when I can. I try and not saying anything definitive that I cannot source. I also keep up-to-date with computer science discoveries since I feel technology is a big part of the modern world and knowing how it functions on a basic level cannot hurt.

As the author of a sci-fi story you will want to look at your time scale and then at what humans are working on currently. From there you need to think "what could I invent that would make our lives easier but still keep them exciting" (don't want a boring story now do we). You can also look to other sci-fi stories/games for an idea of what readers will think is possible. The technology level in the game series Halo seems pretty believable, though the ways in which they travel faster than light is questionable if current theoretical physics is correct (the math seems to imply something more similar to Star Trek). Also, the technology will partially mirror how the society works as well i.e. Bladerunner compared to Star Trek.

These are just some of my thoughts on the subject and I hope they are a little enlightening as to how some of your audience would think. But try not to go too far to please your audience and make the experience dull and listless for yourself.

2274829
My issue with the story was not how advanced it all seemed, but in fact how primitive. Considering the setting is 2000 years in the future of our current history, then looking back at what we as a species has done in 100 years. It looks as if it took us 2000 years to only progress 300 years technologically.

This is the weirdest thing ever ( I haven't even begun reading the story yet) I had a dream along the same lines as this story.) I know it's weird, but I swear it's true. I'd like to hear from you at my email (connordoglover@yahoo.com) if you dont mind talking about the story with me. (

2274343>>2274343
I could go with that!

I'm the second biggest sci-fi buff I know and pretty high up the top ten list of MLP nerds I know as well, not to mention I like writing hard sci-fi (5 or 6) as well as soft sci-fi. I for one only saw one thing wrong with this so far (that Japanese name), as for the rest, it's not even slightly confusing...Clearly said the planet was found 12 years ago earlier and easily deduced why they had the month of searching to find it upon arrival. If there was anything else wrong, I didn't see it.

2274601 The name will remain the same because it's a personal reminder.

2274829 No, no. I know what you're saying and that's what I set out to do and what I plan on doing, still. I have left several "mistakes" that will be explained later on in the story, but I also left a few that I didn't mean to only because I'm poor in the studies of astrophysics.

2274940 If you hop on board, the main plot will be explained to you, and hopefully that will clear up some of your disbelief in the current technology.

Bah, don't worry yourself over being technically accurate. Aim for believable & consistent, not realism.

2274940

I agree with you on how little the technology has advanced in this story.

Hey guys! I want a realistic story! I want to watch the adventures of probey the probe come to Equestria, spend a few minutes scanning and instantly process all the info, then subsequently have Equestria curb-stomped and colonized!

Not to sound irritating, but the scientific inaccuracies were bugging me too :twilightsheepish: Good story all the same.

2275791
I would only "hop on board" if the project lead thought I would be useful (and it isn't some cult, cults freak me the hell out). I'll generally answer all questions posed to me to the best of my abilities (unless they are ridiculous, ridiculous questions get silly answers).

2277910 fc00.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2013/075/a/9/___cultists_____not__mine__by_blackfoxfurry7-d5yaxyn.png

And anyone who's knowledgeable in the fields of study that I'm not is always useful. However, I'll have trouble bringing up questions. It would be better if you would read over unsubmitted chapters and simply tell me what doesn't sound right in the scientific sense.

2278011
I can do that, if you also want me to edit that will slow me down a little.

2278073 No, not edit. Just point out where I fucked up. What's your schedule like?

2278083
As a college student I procrastinate like hell but get things done before the due date. So giving me a couple of days before a fake due date (see that strike out, that means I should forget that word) should work well enough.

2278095 Oki doki loki. As a finishing high schooler with no job and a shit ton of video games, I tend to procrastinate as well. I have no idea when I'll force myself to finish the next chapter :D

2278125
Haha, that is almost like me. I have no idea when to start writing any of my ideas. One of my best excuses is "Jim, I am an engineer, not an English major."

2278176 At least you're not a doctor.

2279559
Unless I want to remain like Howard Wolowitz, I better get a PhD is something. All my friends are gonna be either MDs or PhDs.

If still want help I would be willing but I don't have any credentials but I am a major si-fi nut and would love to be able to give you a hand.

2284052 sci-fi is called fiction for a reason. Nothing you know is true :trollestia:

So, science issues.

Why do we care?

In all seriousness, allow me to explain why this story could give jack shit about the science and still be fine:

This is not a story about the sciency bits. The story opens up not with an action scene of the characters flying in screaming with their ship on fire and doing assloads of maths to save their own lives. We may easily assume that their science is known and things are just going to progress from there as per normal order of business, because the opening scene focuses on the characters. While yes, the bullet point notes presentation of the characters isn't ideal and there are various other issues with the characterization we can deal with, the focus is very clearly on the people (and eventually ponies, since this is FIMfiction) and NOT on the twiddly knobs and reentry trajectories. I do feel that the second chapter is much stronger than the first chapter because it doesn't spend nearly as much time worrying about the gadgetry and what they're wearing, how it works, etc. Instead, it gets straight to showing us what the crew is doing on the ground, a fair bit of stuff from the POV of a Misc. Pony, and the Confrontation Scene. The ending of Chapter Two is in fact, for me, incredibly tense, because we see that there's a non-zero probability of a pony getting shot by a laser pistol!

Frankly, focusing on the twiddly knobs and reentry trajectories is silly, because stories aren't about math and science, but rather about characters and how they interact. For this sort of HIE, we don't really need to know exactly how they got to Equestria, nor do we really care about whether or not it makes sense that they know the sun orbits the planet. What's really important is that Ponies can't talk to People and Shit Will Hit The Fan unless the Magic of Friendship happens and keeps the shit firmly wedged in Discord's buttocks.

2293567 By the way, this is that Engineering student friend of mine.

I'm a physics student and could point out what is possible and not. Though you may not like some of it.

I'm actually intrested in this story and i would like to see more of it. :twilightsmile: Please resume soon :twilightblush:

2307168

Second since this is our universe it is unlikely that the sun would be orbiting the planet.

Have you watched the show?

Even if Celestia had the strength why would u move a bowling ball around a ping pong ball when you can get the same effect from spinning the ping pong ball?

You really haven't watched the show, have you?

Faved for now. Vote will be cast upon revised chapters, but you know what? I don't care for any scientific inaccuracies. The chapters are fine as they are, and I don't think they need revision. In regards to having located a solar system 12 years in the past, but just getting to it now, that could be because it was part of a massive find of planets and was lower down on the priority list, or there was some interplanetary political turmoil that made exploration inconvenient. As for floating through the area for a month to find a planet, that actually makes a bit of sense. Space is huge. Compared to it, planets are tiny tiny things. You can easily get a general idea of where one is, but to go out and get right to the planet itself takes a bit of work, luck, and determination.

2274940 Tell me, do you know what our technology will be like in 300 years? Where humanity as a whole will be in even 500, let alone 2000? Something could happen that hampers technological development in the meantime, like a long lasting political debate on the status of people born and raised on colony worlds relative to Earth. That is, if politics and the people behind it act the same in the future as they are now.

2327625
You can't "know", that would be pretentious and arrogant. However, you can look at what we have done so far, look at where the frontiers are now, and combine it with what humans like to do and are interested in. From this you just start turning the wheels and extrapolate out. Though you can't plan for many things, 50 years ago I don't think anyone thought we would have something that could out perform a room size computer (think 1960s) in the palm of your hand.

Login or register to comment