• Published 27th Jul 2013
  • 2,297 Views, 137 Comments

Experimenting in Feels - TheTalentlessPony



What's a mare to do when feeling 'funny' around a specific stallion? ...I know! SCIENCE!

  • ...
10
 137
 2,297

Unworthy

"Nope. Sorry about that, Princess Sparkle."

"Comet Tail? I've afraid to say that I've never heard of him, Princess Twilight."

"Sorry, haven't seen him, Princess."

"Me neither, Miss Princess. Is he important?"

Twilight sighed as she remembered everypony's words, feeling dejected at her sudden inability to find Comet Tail (and their need to call her 'Princess'.). Why could she never find things when she needed to?

Looking up, she noticed one more pony that she had yet to ask. With her head hanging in expected disappointment, she gradually walked towards her.

"Excuse me?" she called out.

The pony turned to her, jumping a bit before beginning to bow.

"P-Princess Twi-"

"Skip the formalities please. I just need to ask a question."

"O-oh! Um..." Standing up awkwardly, the pony shifted her gaze left and right before settling on Twilight. "O-okay?"

"Have you seen a pony named Comet Tail around?" Twilight questioned. "He's yellow, has a blue mane, and... light blue... e-eyes..."

Focus!

"Comet Tail? Hm..." she pondered the question for a moment, then nodded. "Well, I can say that I've seen him at least once. I haven't heard that name before, but I did see a pony of that description heading towards the big hill yesterday night," she explained.

Twilight blinked at the mare for a moment, then sighed. "Thank you."

"Did I disappoint you, Princess Twilight? I-I'm so sorry if I di-"

"No. No. It's fine," she assured. "I suppose there's no harm in looking there anyway. Thank you."

Before giving the pony a chance to utter another 'Princess', Twilight flapped her wings and took to the sky.

If I remember right, then the hill is... this way!

Reeling back, she promptly charged towards the hill, feeling happy that she had gotten used to her wings by now. Otherwise she'd have to go through a crowd. And, when you're an alicorn princess, you kind of become a bit of a big deal to everypony.

...Geez...

Twilight huffed as she flew across the sky, thinking about what she was about to do. How did Rarity's little speech have such impact on her?

What am I even meant to say to him? I didn't even make a list on what I could say!

And how could Rarity tell that he liked me back? She probably doesn't even know him that well.

...

I guess I'll just have to wing it though. No turning back now, and she did tell me not to think about it too much. Oh Rarity, you better be right!

"And another thing!"

Twilight's left ear twitched at the sound.

...Spike?

Slowing her speed as she approached the hill, she began to notice two figures standing there; one clearly smaller than the other. She chose to stay hovering above, watching the two, who she now recognized as Comet Tail and Spike, from a distance.

"If you even dare to think that you're anywhere close to Twilight, you've got another thing coming, bub!" Spike shouted, poking the stallion that stood in front of him.

"You're nothing compared to her, got it!? She came all the way from Canterlot to come to Ponyville, and she was being mentored by Princess Celestia. She's saved all of Equestria countless time, and has written more scrolls and performed more spells than you could even count." He seemed to growl slightly under his breath as he noticed Comet Tail's straight face.

"And let me just remind you, in case you've forgotten. She's an alicorn princess now, and shouldn't even have time for the likes of you! She'd probably have to reject you on the spot, even if she, somehow, didn't want to! So you might as well-"

Twilight had heard enough. Landing hard on the ground behind her assistant, the ground shook slightly between the two, making Spike jump and let out a small yelp.

"Spiiike," she slurred angrily, narrowing her gaze at the dragon.

He turned to her, his eyes widening slightly. "T-Twilight..."

"What are you doing?" she asked.

"U-uh, well, I-"

"How could you even say things like that, Spike? Not only is it rude, but you're not in a place to say such words!" she berated, directing an accusing hoof at his chest.

"You are not in my place. You can't speak for me, as much as I'm sure you'd like to. Even if you're only trying to look out for me, that doesn't mean-"

She paused, noticing the look on Spike's face. It reminded her of...

"That's... that's what this is all about, isn't it?" she questioned. "You're jealous. Just like when I found Owlowiscious."

Spike whimpered, looking downwards, thus confirming her suspicions.

"Oh, Spike..." Her expression softened, though her tone still held firm. "You should know this by now. No one can ever replace you. No matter what animal, or pony, or whatever, walks into my life, I will always make time for you," she promised.

He was silent for a moment, then smiled slightly and looked up at her. "I... I know. And I'm sorry, Twilight."

"I know you are. But you have to learn to control your emotions. Just because I'm an alicorn princess, doesn't mean-"

"He's right."

Twilight and Spike flinched slightly at the voice, almost forgetting that Comet Tail had been standing there.

"...W-what?" Twilight asked, looking up at the stallion's face.

"He's right," he repeated. His face was calm, but his sad tone betrayed it. "I have no chance of ever measuring up to an alicorn princess. I'm a Ponyville unicorn. I never even learned the higher forms of magic. How in Equestria would anyone be able to see me with a pony like you?" He glanced at Twilight, who looked positively shocked. "I really am nothing, compared to someone as beautiful and talented as yourself, Twilight," he added.

"...So then... you insisting that I didn't have to take you anywhere... that was all because..."

"Multiple reasons for that really." Comet Tail gazed at the sky for a moment, then closed his eyes. "Do you remember when I said that I had been meaning to visit the library?"

Twilight just nodded dumbly, unaware of what he was getting at.

"I have actually. Multiple times. Even before you ascended to alicorn status," he told her.

"H-huh? But... I never even saw you," she muttered.

"I came in, but always left before you had the chance to see me." He hung his head, clearly feeling pathetic, but not willing to show it. "I've... admittedly, always had an infatuation with you."

Twilight's eyes widened, her cheeks growing red as he continued.

"That's why I came to the library. I'd look around at the books, but I never had the guts or courage to speak with you, whether you were an alicorn or not." Sitting with just his hind legs, he gestured a hoof towards himself.

"I mean, me... Comet Tail, a unicorn that nopony has probably ever heard of... talking to the Twilight Sparkle. The Twilight Sparkle who helped return Princess Luna to her former uncorrupted state. The Twilight Sparkle who defeated an Ursa Minor without any violence. The Twilight Sparkle... who managed to defeat the god of chaos himself!" He then raised his hooves into the air, as if giving praise. "Princess. Twilight. Sparkle. The newest alicorn princess and wielder of the Element of Magic itself!"

That's... that's why he got so quiet when I tackled him... he felt my earth pony strength... he saw my horn and wings... it reminded him...

After a short pause, Comet Tail lowered his hooves and stood back up. "I like stars. That's all. I am unable to compete with such a wonderful pony," he said.

Twilight was silent, but she didn't have to say anything, as Spike was quick to cut in.

"You shouldn't be so hard on yourself," he told him.

"I'm not," Comet Tail shot back, his expression still trying to remain stiff. "I'm realistic."

"Brutally realistic," Spike huffed.

"Spike," Twilight whispered sharply.

"It's fine." Comet Tail muttered, looking downwards. "Now, I-I..." His voice seemed to falter for a split second, but he quickly recovered. "I should be heading back home now. I apologize for taking up so much of your time." And with that, he attempted to move past her.

"H-huh? N-no, wait!" Twilight was quick to jump into his way, her wings flaring out to block even more of his path. Comet Tail stepped back in surprise.

"P-Prince-"

"None of that. Don't call me Princess. It's Twilight. Twilight," she told him, narrowing her gaze to show her seriousness. She felt her legs grow somewhat weak from staring into his eyes, but she was determined to stand her ground.

Comet Tail was quiet, his eyes shifting from her eyes, her wings, her hooves, her horn, then back at her eyes.

"N-now, look..." Twilight began to say.

Geez, it had been so easy for him to say it. Now I'm frozen stiff!

"I-I know that you're concerned. I know that you worry about what ponies might think if I'm seen with you. But... I-I don't care," she uttered softly, slowly getting closer to him. Her legs felt like they might fall off, but she kept going anyway.

"I-I never planned out what I wanted to do in this situation, but I-"

"Just kiss him already!" Spike suddenly interjected.

"E-EEK!" A sudden push from the dragon made Twilight squeal in surprise before her lips crashed into Comet Tail's. The stallion staggered back at her sudden weight on him, sitting down to prevent the two from completely toppling over.

And, suddenly, his expression softened. Upon needing the air, he pulled away from Twilight and gazed at her face, not saying a word.

Though she was speechless for a moment as well, she quickly shook off the shock, then placed her hoof on his. "I know you think you aren't worthy of me, but I don't believe that," she whispered. "So... could you... please... just give us a chance?"

He was quiet, staring into Twilight's eyes and not cracking a smile. She feared that she hadn't gotten through to him, but, very slowly, he gave her a smile and put a loving hoof to her cheek.

"I suppose I could do that. For you," he teased with a gentle tone.

Upon hearing those words, Twilight grinned wide and embraced him, her wings practically shaking from joy.

Comet Tail embraced her back, slowly stroking her mane and, admittedly, shaking himself. He almost couldn't believe that she was right there, loving him back. But it happened.

"Thank you... my little starlight."

Comments ( 44 )

Spike the match maker. :moustache:

Fabulous story, as usual.
Keep it up and I hope to see more stories like this from you. :raritywink:

2994336

2994348

Why thank you~ :twilightsmile:

Next up is...take it away Spike.

:moustache:: R-Rarity's story. *drools* ...! H-HEY WAIT. YOU'RE SHIPPING RARITY WITH SOMEONE WHO ISN'T ME!

:trollestia: Haha~

:raritywink:

2994368 I shall follow you then

2994383

O-oh no, I'm well aware. I'm just honored that you followed me due to the sheer fact that I'm making another story, despite the possibility that it could totally bomb! :pinkiegasp:

2994387 It could.

But it won't.

Good to see this story updated. I teared up when Comet confessed that he believed himself worthless against Twilight's majesty. I hope it works out between them, but I can see that Comet is going to have a harder time in this relationship.

A lovely story and I wish to see more.

2994389

jfjkasdnfs

Why must my fans have more confidence in me than I have with myself. .w.

2994403

I was hoping that it'd be a bit of a heartfelt moment. :twilightsmile:

298998
Lol. Nice research reports. :)
And I like how the author wrote down Twilight's character accurately.

2994348

Spike the match maker.

Hardly :trixieshiftright:

Nice ending, though I think Spike might've been a little too mean at the start, there.

Then again, the possibility of Drama was already well-outlined in my Medical Encyclopedia :rainbowwild:

The Inevitable Corrections Section:
> who managed to defeat the god of chaos himself! "
There's a space before your closing quote (hah, had you worried there for a moment, didn't I?)

2994703

Fear and jealousy can make us all go a little over-the-top sometimes I suppose. :twilightblush:

Also, DANGIT. I read this chapter over like, three times hoping it'd be perfect! :fluttershysad: Fixed now though!

2994857

Thank you then, I suppose. :scootangel:

Comment posted by StarBot deleted May 14th, 2014

2995010

Um...I'm not sure I get what you're saying? :rainbowhuh:

2995149

This is the first fanfic that Comet Tail gives up....

2995196

I got that. I just didn't know what your real problem with that was exactly. Does Comet Tail have an official and/or popular fanon personality? I just gave him one of my own...I didn't know he was all that popular. :fluttershysad: I'm sorry.

2995211

Ninonononon

It's ok, he kinda has a personality, but I'm just Surpise that Comet Tail, just given up...

2995329

Sorry to disappoint then, I suppose. I never read other fanon interpretations of him because I wanted to try my own and didn't want to be influenced by them.

Well done, TalentlessPony.
The story is a bit short, but it has some sweet touching moments. :)
I am hoping if you could do an epilogue to see how the lovely couple are doing.

I would like to thank you for writing a great story of my favorite OTP. ;)

3000309

Awww, why thank you! ^w^

I've been thinking about epilouges and sequels lately, but I'd really like to get all of my other story ideas thrown out there and typed down before doing any such thing, if I even plan to by that time.

3000321
Okay then, do that first.
I can wait, plus, I got other fanfics to read. ;)

3000342

I'd be surprised if you didn't. This fandom is in no way short of fanfiction. :derpytongue2:

...exceptmaybeCometTailXTwilightSparkleFanfictions.Whyyyyy.:fluttershysad:

3000343
Don't lose hope, my friend.
One day; maybe, just maybe there will be some more.
This pairing will always be my favorite and I will never EVER abandon it.

3000360

Keep the faith strong, my fellow brony. :rainbowdetermined2:

Damn, that was really good actually.

I really liked this story! :pinkiehappy: I liked the simple romance and the idea of Twilight trying to measure feelings and what not :raritywink: You definitely nailed her character spot on and did a good job at Comet Tail's too. Who wouldn't be nervous around royalty? I can also see Spike acting as a kind of unofficial protector of Twilight (like a father or brother can be) and a jealous child (what is he? Like, 11? :derpyderp2:) Throwing Rarity through the door DEMANDING information was an excellent way of getting 'love is not science despite the fact it's chemistry' through to Twilight's skull and I'd imagine that's how she would do it too :raritystarry:. However, I believe this story could've been longer or included implied time such as "the next two weeks were some of the most interesting Twilight experienced". Real romance is a process and the probability of two, very shy, romantically awkward ponies to express their feelings after one date is small. As much as I like Comet's shyness and similarities to Twilight, I don't like how identical they are. Adding that thing about starlight was absolutely adorable and was really the only thing distinguishing him from being Twilight's long lost, identical-in-all-ways-but-gender-and-appearance twin brother. Now, I do apologize if you take my criticism harshly as that was not its intention. :fluttershysad: Even the kindest of suggestions can hurt like a deep insult and I am one of those people who do take the words a little too close to heart, but realize that I did enjoy this story, there should be more silly Twilight romance stories like this one, and I only point out the flaws so they may be fixed in the next story. :twilightsmile: No one wants to be a talentless pony and I certainly don't think you're talentless. Like in "Call of the Cutie", you're not talentless, just full of potential and opprtunities :ajsmug::yay::pinkiehappy::rainbowdetermined2::raritystarry::twilightsmile:

3542895

Yeaaah, I actually just never got to explaining the differences between Comet Tail and Twilight. As for the length, I'm really not into really long fanfics. The fics I enjoy are fics that:
- can be read in one sitting
- don't take too long to actually read (because on sitting doesn't mean a short read)
- will still give someone a good burst of feels.

So that's why I try not to make my stories really long; unless I get a ton of inspiration and can't help it.

And yes; I'm one of those people who takes everything to heart too.

3542934 and again, I apologize if my words did hurt you. :heart::pinkiesmile: I know writing good stuff can be difficult and criticism is rarely enjoyed, but I see your potential greatness :raritystarry: I mean, it's great that short stories are your thing, that's excellent. I just wanted to say romance is rarely so short and implied time is an easy way of getting out of writing a lot of stuff :scootangel: So I apologize one last time if you are offended and I think you could use more confidence :rainbowdetermined2: So please, take my criticism as constructive and learn to reach for the stars :twilightsmile::raritywink:

3548340

I wasn't offended. I know that I screw up a lot when I write.

All criticism I'm given is usually stuff that I'm aware off. .w.

4378569

Making personalities for characters that don't have much though?

4378982

Granted, I did have a lot of notes here that I didn't get to show off because the situations in this story didn't present themselves in a way that would show them.

Oh my god. This is the most error-free, short, to the point, yet most flowing, fluent, and AMAZING story I have ever read on fimfiction.net. I'm serious. And this is coming from an author. I know my book isn't published yet, but the fact that I'm writing an ACTUAL BOOK is valid for something right? BTW, I'm recommending this on my blog. Sorry, I'm going crazy. Shut up, me! I just get excited when someone actually KNOWS how to write. Not naming any fails! :twilightoops::twilightblush::raritywink::applejackconfused:

Also sequel please?

5300729

W-wahhhh! O/////O

R-really? It's that amazing to you? T-thank you VERY much! ^///^

I haven't been writing pony fanfiction for too long (the ones on here are my only fanfics), so you can imagine how surprised I am by all the positive feedback on my stories! >w<

"Gee Rarity ,I never thought you would ever go out with me, Thanks a bunch".:moustache:
"Twilight called it a 'Pay back' For your little push sort of speaking":duck:
"My last 23 dates with Comet were great how about yours?":twilightsheepish:
"Our last dates were so beautiful darling".:raritywink:
"Angle bunny died; Fluttershy's really pissed".:moustache:

:twilightoops::moustache::raritystarry:

"YOU LOVED ME !":flutterrage::raritydespair:

"Just kiss him already!" Spike suddenly interjected.

And this is why Spike is best dragon. I could actually see him doing this in the show, well done. :twilightsmile:

Well done with this entire story, really. You were able to introduce a previously unseen character with a blue mane and yellow coat, let him and Twilight fall for each other over the course of a day while still keeping the purple pony princess in character, and still kept it believable and fun. Not even Hasbro could do all that!

You've proven yourself once again, TTP. 9/10. :twilightsmile:

"You're nothing compared to her, got it!? She came all the way from Canterlot to come to Ponyville, and she was being mentored by Princess Celestia . She's saved all of Equestria countless time, and has written more scrolls and performed more spells than you could even count ." He seemed to growl slightly under his breath as he noticed Comet Tail's straight face.

Okay that one I felt like that was so out of spikes character right there even if he's mad but he would not go that far to say something like that so I didn't like the way how he was acting

"Just kiss him already!" Spike suddenly interjected.

Very smooth Spike and thank you

Well I got to say this was a pretty nice story so Twilight was searching for Comet Tail and basically wanting to tell him how she feels but then she heard what was going on between him and Spike and apparently spike is basically talking down on him which Twilight did not like what she heard from him and basically telling him what he said was really bad but then realized that he was getting jealous but then Comet Tail basically said that he was nothing special but Twilight told him that he is how much she cares about him but with little Spike push they accidentally kiss each other but after that she said she wants this relationship work between them and it looks like he agrees to make this work between them which yeah they're pretty cute together again this was really good and nice way to see the underrated character showing up keep up the good work

Login or register to comment