• Published 27th Jul 2013
  • 2,297 Views, 137 Comments

Experimenting in Feels - TheTalentlessPony



What's a mare to do when feeling 'funny' around a specific stallion? ...I know! SCIENCE!

  • ...
10
 137
 2,297

Just Wing It

Our story begins on a large hill that rests between the Everfree Forest and Ponyville. On said hill, there was usually nothing of interest.

So, why does our story start here?

Well, because there was usually nothing of interest.

Today, something interesting was about to occur.

A blanket was laid out on that hill tonight, and a pony was sitting on it: Twilight Sparkle. A telescope and notepad had been placed beside her.

One might say that she was an odd sort. Though she became a princess after ascending to the form of an alicorn, she didn't care much for dressing up all fancy or wearing her crown. She preferred to lay low, wings curled in rather than spread out. Getting so much attention wasn't an idea she was fond of.

Don't get her wrong though; she still did her job just fine. She was just a little less 'Princess-y' than the other alicorn rulers.

That was okay though; she was just starting after all.

...What wasn't okay though...

"Ah, shoot."

Twilight squinted slightly in mild annoyance as she peeked through her telescope. Upon doing so, she brought her notepad to her and scribbled down a few notes.

"I seem to be approximately two degrees off around Point B. Besides that, Star #205698 is off-center compared to Stars #205687 and #205693."

Comparing her current notes to ones she had drawn just yesterday, she pouted somewhat and stared up at the moon. "I guess she lied to me..." she muttered.

...Or maybe she didn't notice?

"...Impossible," she said, mindlessly fumbling with a corner of her blanket as she thought.

"She does it every night. She must know the layout perfectly."

Her wings grew slightly ruffled as she became irritated with her findings; not angry... just irritated.

However, her irritation slowly died down as she felt a presence approaching her. Nervously pulling her wings in even more, though they were already clamped tight against her midsection, she turned her head to see a stallion approaching. It was relatively dark out, so she assumed that she had failed to catch his sight. If he did in fact see her, he didn't show it, as he paid her no heed and laid out a blanket.

She watched as he magically fumbled about with said-blanket, trying to lay it out just right. Afterwards, she grew curious as she noticed that he had a telescope and notepad of his own.

She then studied him as he sat down and looked through his telescope. His fur was a gentle yellow, while his mane was blue and spiked up. His eyes were a lighter blue, and she could just make out his horn, which glowed ever so gently as he brought the notepad to his face. She tried to make out his cutie mark, but failed due to the darkness of the night and said-mark being partially covered up from his tail.

All in all, he wasn't much to look at. That wasn't to say he was horrid-looking, but he wouldn't be a face that stood out from the crowd; mostly because he wasn't very tall. Not to say that he was short though; he was average. And though she couldn't be completely sure from how far away he was, she was almost certain that he wasn't built well at all. He wasn't lanky, but muscular was most definitely not the term she would use to describe him. However, unicorns never were known for being buff in the first place, so she didn't focus on such thoughts for too long.

Growing more curious over the stallion though, her ears twitched as he flipped through pages of his notepad, looking back and forth between his notes and his telescope.

Now, Twilight was never one to get easily excited, but the thought of another pony sharing her love for astronomy was far too stimulating for her not to be. Her wings flared out slightly in ecstasy, but she quickly calmed herself down before trying to get the yellow stallion's attention.

"They're a little off-center today, don't you think?" she asked loudly, noticing the confused look on his face after gazing through his telescope.

His head jerked up quickly, and he searched for the source of the voice before his eyes settled on her. His look turned to one of great surprise, but he suppressed it quickly and nodded.

"Why, yes. Yes they are," he replied, though rather softly.

Twilight smiled at him, then glanced down at her blanket. There was more than enough room for two.

"Would you like to compare notes?" she questioned, holding up her notepad. He paused for a moment, then nodded again.

Seems to be rather cool-headed...

Glancing down to his blanket, her horn glowed an intense red as she magically gripped its fabric. She pulled it, along with the stallion, closer to her, but a bit too strongly.

The stallion was next to her within milliseconds, and the momentum had sent him falling right into Twilight, whose wings flared out in surprise.

Right. Right. Alicorn magic is stronger than unicorn magic.

"Eheh. Sorry about that," she said softly, standing up as the stallion regained his composure.

"No no. It's perfectly alright, Princess," he muttered, adjusting her blanket, as he had messed it up slightly from his fall.

Twilight frowned slightly at his formality, but quickly hid it with a smile when his eyes fell back onto her. "So..." she began, bringing the stallion's telescope and notepad over to them. As she did, she noticed his cutie mark, which she could finally see. It was a shooting star, which further confirmed her thoughts.

"I see you have a fascination with astronomy," she said.

"Oh, absolutely!" he quickly exclaimed, his levelheadedness vanishing for a moment as he grew excited.

"So do I!" Twilight said in response, smiling warmly at him. He seemed suddenly quirky when it came to his interests; she found it rather cute.

"This night has me particularly interested," the stallion told her, sitting down on her blanket and gazing through her telescope. "As you said, the stars are off-center. Perhaps it indicates some inner frustration with-"

"-Princess Luna allowed me to raise the stars for her tonight," Twilight interrupted, blushing slightly in embarrassment; she hadn't meant to admit that right out front, but she had felt oddly comfortable from gazing at her own work earlier.

"O-oh?"

"Don't worry. You didn't insult me or anything." She giggled slightly as she held up her notes again, directing a hoof towards the stars. "I noticed right away!"

The stallion smiled warmly at her in response, then slid his own notes next to her. "Well, you were still very close. I could hardly tell that they were off."

Twilight faked a huff. "Cute," she said. "But I could tell just by looking at your reaction that you knew something was up right away."

He blushed slightly, knowing that he was caught, then took his blanket in his mouth and threw it over her.

"W-what's this for?" Twilight questioned, gazing down at the pattern of a night sky on the fabric.

"It's cold tonight. I wouldn't want you to be chilly," he replied, smiling warmly at her.

"O-oh no. I'm fine, really," Twilight argued, though lying somewhat; her wings had been disheveled from the chilly air. "You shouldn't feel obligated to assist me just because I'm a Princess."

"It's not a problem," he insisted, tugging and pulling at the blanket slightly as he adjusted it to fit around her body.

"Aren't you cold though?" she asked.

"Not at all," he replied.

Twilight grew doubtful of him, and her suspicious were confirmed as she noticed him rub his right hoof against his left foreleg, as if to warm it.

Stretching out her right wing, she rested it on his back, thus draping the blanket over him as well.

"...Princess-"

"There's room enough for two," she interjected.

The stallion seemed displeased with her response, but accepted it and smiled after growing warm from both her wing and the blanket.

"...And..."

"Yes?" he asked, knowing that she was hesitating.

"...Twilight's fine," she muttered, having not suggested that anyone address her informally before. It wasn't Princess-like, but it felt so weird hearing the words 'Princess' emerge from the stallion's mouth when he spoke with her; even more so than other ponies.

"Are you sure?"

"Positive."

The stallion grew quiet for a moment, then smiled softly at her.

"Comet Tail."