• Published 20th Dec 2012
  • 2,516 Views, 31 Comments

The Six-Year Courtship - Gabriel LaVedier



Falling in love is just the beginning...

  • ...
15
 31
 2,516

The Six-Year Courtship

Sweet Apple Acres orchard, back just after the revelation of Rainbow Dash's feelings for Applejack. The confrontation with Gilda and the confession of her attempts to break Applejack's spirit to try and get back with Dash. “I didn’t believe her, you know. I didn’t want to think she was lying, not being that she’s the element of honesty and all that, but I figured maybe she was exaggerating. She can tell some tall tales, you know, being a farmer and all. So I wanted to make sure she was saying how things were. And… well… I guess I should have seen it. You were… I was different back then. I just ignored it.”

“C-come on, Dash…I mean… you’re… you’re loyalty! Shouldn’t you be, you know, loyal to me? We’ve been friends for a long time. Better than friends. Way better than friends. I thought that meant something to you. You always said it did.”

“It did mean something to me, Gilda. You meant something to me. But I changed. I saw how ponies got hurt when you didn’t care about them. And if there’s one thing I can say about Applejack, she cares. I’m sorry. But you showed me what kinda friend you really are. Twice.”

“Dash… come on, you know I’m just… I had a tough life.”

“I know, Gilda. And I didn’t have as hard of one. So maybe I can’t know why you’re like that. But you’re like that. And it affects how you treat ponies. I can’t just ignore it. I’m sorry Gilda.”

“Do you still..?”

“You know the answer to that.” Rainbow Dash flitted over to Applejack’s side, and placed a leg around her shoulders.

Gilda ground her beak and trembled through her whole body. “I never thought…”

“You always knew it would be this way, Gilda. The closed door confrontation. But… we’re not still friends. At least… it won’t be awkward after it’s all done.”

“It’s done.” With a glare of injured hate for Rainbow Dash and Applejack, Gilda launched herself into the air, using her impressive speed and power to propel herself away from Ponyville.

Applejack watched Gilda go, feeling a tremendous weight lifted off her shoulders. “Y’all think she’s really..?”

The question was interrupted by Rainbow Dash’s lips, a hoof moving Applejack’s head into position for a kiss. It was the first time for the two of them, a magical time. That first warm, uniting contact between them. AJ was an awkward kisser, not seeming to know what to do, while Dash was completely in control, and knew just how to make it special. Applejack could only follow along and savor the experience. After a long moment they pulled apart, and Dash whispered, “Even if she comes back, we’re together. And nothing’s going to change that.”

“Yea... nothin'...” AJ's reply was breathy and soft, her head still reeling from the powerful first kiss. She was a good farm girl, the ultimate mare-next-door. She had never kissed anyopony, mare or stallion. And now she had been given the ultimate kiss, from somepony she knew was something of a pro. Oh, she knew Dash wasn't a flit-around gal. But she had dated; Gilda at the very least, perhaps others after. It made for an entertaining smooch, in any event. “So...”

“Yea?” Dash popped her brows and dropped a lascivious wink.

The wink was mostly lost on AJ, who took it only as something amusing and amused. “So, Pinkie's got that little party goin' on down in Ponyville. Her 'n' Twilight gettin' together. We all finally figured out who we love. So... seems like a real good place to have a date.”

“RIGHT! Date!” Dash shot straight up and nodded her head. That had not been her intention at all. And that wasn't right... “You know... maybe not a whole date. We're still trying to figure all of that out. But a practice date. When we do it for real, we'll be awesome. As ever.”

“Yea...” The smile was genuine. But the statement somewhat confused the farmpony. A practice date? Was that really a thing? On the farm there was courting and there was marriage. That's what they said, even if in reality there was courting or fooling around, and sometimes marriage if there was real love or a foal. Maybe in the big city they had practice dates. They weren't as down-home and wholesome as farm folk, up there in Cloudsdale. They had to practice dating each other before actually taking a chance on romancing. “Sounds like fun.”

Dash draped a wing over AJ's back, head held high, rainbow mane tossed proudly as she walked along with the blonde earth mare. She had waited so long, and been so afraid... that wasn't normal. She was a real mare-magnet. Not that she had done much more than kiss the pretty faces and dance. Not after Gilda. But she had never been shy about saying how hot she got for the many mares she found in clubs and bars around the cities she had lived in before Ponyville. And even in Ponyville. But not many, it was a small town after all. Still... she was never that shy about it. But there was just something about AJ.

Applejack was holding her own head up high, like the cock of the walk. She was strolling the farm road into town on the wing of the finest mare in Ponyville. Not to disparage her friends, but Dash had flash. And there was nothing to dazzle a farm girl like a flashy mane and a nice body. It didn't hurt that, when she put a mind to it, Dash could work hard as anypony, and was no slouch when it came to strength. She didn't think she could be involved with anypony that wasn't as strong as her, not with all the farm work that needed to be done every day. Her steps trotted higher, her tail flicked more, occasionally impacting Dash's own tail, and she tossed her head a bit to settle her hat higher on her head.

They sashayed along into the packed and jubilant town, the two notable mares oddly invisible. The rainbow mane and large stetson normally could never be ignored, but in the face of all the action and music, plus the presence of both princesses, there were simply other focal points.

It suited them fine. They could shuffle and shimmy anonymously through the crush of equusanity closer to the giant, wub-pumping speakers. Even though Applejack flattened her ears back, unused to such volumes, she soldiered on and let herself come near to the stage.

“Come on, AJ! Let's dance!” Dash screamed as loud as she could, to cut through the pounding bass thumping just a few feet away from them. Without waiting for a reply she started to dance, throwing down the smooth, hip moves for which she was known.

Applejack was not, in any respect, a hip and trendy mare. She didn't know the latest musical styles or hottest dance moves. She only knew what she was taught on the farm. So, when she heard that Dash wanted to dance, the first thing she did was quickly set herself up and start in on her country line-dancing. That, she was good at. Very good.

It made for an odd spectacle indeed. Dash was on-beat and in the groove, working her moves on the ground and a foot in the air when she had a mind to fly a little. AJ was sliding, shuffling and stomping her heart out, trying to match her motion to the odd tempo of the electronic screaming that poured from the speakers before her. Most of the surrounding ponies gave them a wide berth, whispering curiously or tittering derisively.

The one that didn't react with shock and mockery was the DJ herself. Vinyl looked over the top of her shades. Despite how different they were, they were undoubtedly together. She was getting a sixth sense for that kind of thing. And while odd couples weren't normally her thing, she found it oddly charming. Abruptly, the music ended while Vinyl's magic shuffled through her collection of singles. She found an old one-hit wonder that would work for everypony. She plopped it down on the turntable, adjusted her levels by memory, and set the needle down, the speakers blaring out, 'Where do you come from, where did you go? Where did you come from, Cotton-Eyed Joan?'

The crowd was somewhat shocked by it. They all stopped in confusion, washed over by the music. Applejack and Rainbow Dash, however, rolled with it. Dash slid up beside AJ and began to copy her moves. She was stiff, but exact, giving her all to be exactly in a mirror-match with her practice-date. Applejack herself was feeling much more natural. Certainly, there was an unnatural backbeat to the whole thing, but she recognized country-type music when she heard it. And that was her jam.

The awkwardness eventually melted away, as Vinyl used her electronic tricks to stretch out and remix the song into one of her trademark marathon tracks. Ponies poured back into the abandoned area and began to dance once again, some of them even trying to copy the two dancing Element-bearers. Though many tried, none could match the natural skill of AJ or the determined mimicry of Dash.

Dash looked up onto the stage to throw a wink to the DJ, and noticed she was busy, talking with some mare in a suit. Probably some kind of manager or promoter. With the slickness of the attire, probably a Canterlot mare. She was moving on up. Dash looked aside to AJ, who was smiling her 'bring it on' competition smile. It was the day for moving on up.

They danced for as long as they could, testing their muscles and eardrums through as many of the long, thumping songs as they could bear. They were forced, eventually, to part, panting and groaning, and make their way to the refreshment tables. Despite the high-capacity crowd, they were still very well-stocked. They loaded up on sweet treats and roasted vegetables, getting large mugs of apple juice to wash down their festive repast.

“So this a practice date? Ah gets it. We ain't talkin', we ain't eye-gazin', we ain't hoof-wrasslin' and we is barely having ourselves a meal. This lil snack is hardly the kinda dinner mah kin look for when they is courtin'.” AJ looked aside at Dash, checking the reaction of the pegasus.

“It's just a little something we did in Cloudsdale. You'd hang out, sometimes with a bunch of friends, but you stuck together. It's how we figured out who was good with who.”

“Is that how ya figured out you were good with Gilda?”

“That was... Junior Speedsters Camp. Just... yea, that.” Dash munched on her food with a sudden intense hunger, and guzzled her juice greedily, just to keep her mouth full.

“Ya have got yer strange ways about ya, Dash. Leastways ah know how ya give me little hints that ya wanna change the subject. This here practice dating is mighty handy, ah'll give ya that.” Applejack chuckled and shook her head a little, eating at a more moderated pace.

Dash gulped down her juice and sighed, a light blush springing up onto her face. “Heh... sorry. But you know... it's still a little raw...”

“Say no more, sugarcube. Ah unnerstands completely. T'aint easy ta cast off somepony like that. Not when ya know 'em. And ya still feel a little somethin'...” AJ sucked her teeth and went down to daintily eat.

“W-what? Feel something?! No! No way. Not after what she did to you. I mean... I was still really, REALLY willing to give her a chance after the thing with Pinkie. But after what she did to you, no way. She is out of my life, for good.” Dash resolutely nodded her head and snorted softly, as was sometimes her way.

“Well... no matter what... y'all have gotta keep SOME kinda feelin'. There's always a chance they're gonna turn themselves around. Ya gotta forgive and never ferget we're all worth it.”

Dash smiled aside at AJ and gave her a nudge. “You're the best practice date I've ever had.”

“Thank ya kindly, sugarcube. Yer mah first, mah best, and ah sure hope, mah only...”

- - -

The next day dawned, as any other did. There were no apocalyptic visions or grand, music-backed revelations or similar portent-filled events. The morning saw only some ponies shuffling happily from one house to another. Pinkie left the Golden Oaks library in a very chipper mood, and Rarity trotted along pleasantly from Fluttershy's cottage.

Nothing untoward or overly physical had occurred; there was a distinct lack of 'glow' on the faces of the mares. But undoubtedly there had been many long, deep conversations and warm hugs that lasted for long periods. A new paradigm had been set in place, and there was much to appreciate in it, even leaving off the carnal.

The same held true in Sweet Apple Acres. Despite being in a place that was not her bed, in a house that was certainly not her own, Rainbow Dash did not rise early and flit home to show that she was elsewhere the prior night. She was sleeping, like a blob, in Applejack's bed. As with the others, she had not engaged in intimate relations with Applejack. But she wanted it. She had thought of it so very much during the night.

Every time her lips grazed AJ's jawline or dipped, feather light, over her trembling lips, she thought it. Thought about tracing a burning line of lips and tongue over the farm mare's throat, over her chest and belly, stopping to test the mettle of her glorious, swollen teats, and down, that small, insignificant distance down to...

Just the half-aware contemplation was enough to shock her out of sound slumber. The image of Applejack's... that was far too intimate for a new relationship. She knew better. Now. Gilda hadn't been too picky about it. As soon as they figured out they were doing something together, and when neither of them would have been arrested for anything, physicality became supremely important, and blatantly common. They fondled and kissed freely and openly, snogging almost for the sake of how blatant it was.

Even after... when she had grown more restrained and locked away her sexuality when dealing with the other mares, she was never shy about leaping into the intimate parts, the casual and sloppy makeouts while she was half in the bag, or just before she puked her guts out. Groping, fondling, making all the wrong comments about every curved flank and well-made wing or horn. She was shameless, blatant and direct, just like Gilda.

She wasn't an alcoholic. Even after regular over-drinking with Gilda and without her, she had managed to stop afterwards, worked her way through an uncomfortable period and never looked back. She had had to do it to keep a steady job with the weather corps, especially in a small town like Ponyville. It was a... new experience, consciously staying away from the booze. Because the world, while not as warped and colorful off the sauce, was less prone to slamming her in the face or getting her kicked in the flank by an angry glacier of meat.

She slowly hauled herself up, like an oozing protoplasm, forming herself into shape with shakes of her limbs and a huge, powerful yawn that practically cracked her jaw as she delivered it. “'Morning, AJ. How did you..?” The question was pointless. The bed was empty save for her. Of course. AJ had probably been up for hours, doing her work in the orchards. She was very kind, not making too much of a fuss when she got up.

Her hooves hit the ground with a resounding thump. It was FAR too early to fly. She needed to pack some food down her gullet and get some coffee through her before she could think about something like that. And she'd still need to nap in the orchard sometime later. Maybe she could scrounge a bit of coffee and some apples before she headed off for home.

The house was appropriately silent. In all probability, Big Macintosh and Applejack were in the fields, Applebloom was at school, and Granny Smith was on the front porch asleep. It would make it hard to find things like a percolator and the coffee, but would save on awkward questions and uncomfortable gazes.

After leaving the staircase she passed by the weird wall. It held a picture of this stallion AJ had said was her uncle, a caramel pony with a slick, black mane, warm chocolate eyes and a rather engaging smile. It was weird because there had been just that picture there, separated from everything else. Though not anymore; now there was another picture there. AJ's cousin Braeburn. She had heard he had just gotten engaged. She had never learned just what it meant to be up there, just something about her crazy uncle Bad Apple and something about grifting. But Braeburn had seemed like a pretty straight guy.

Past the wall it was a straight shot through the large family room into the kitchen. And that was where Rainbow Dash found the Apple family. Granny Smith lightly napping, shaken into awareness by Big Macintosh, with Applejack there looking on at Dash with a blush.

“So there, lil missy. Finally decided ta get up, did ya?” Granny Smith regarded Dash with a jaundiced eye, slowly getting up with her walker.

“I just, uhhh... slept in because that party was really wild. Honest. I'm always up early normally.” Dash flashed a trembling smile, and whipped her eyes to Applejack, looking for guidance.

“T'aint how long ya slept, missy, it's where ya was jes sleepin'.” One eye practically bugged out of the old nag's head, focused intensely on the trembling pegasus. “Mah lil AJ ain't able ta lie ta mah face. An' she tol' me jes what was goin' on th' other night. So's ah gots one thing ta ask ya.”

“And, what's that?”

Granny Smith held her look for a moment longer, then broke into a smile. “How do ya take yer coffee?”

That sudden, seeming non sequiter hit Dash between the eyes like a tree-clearing buck. “Wh-what?”

Granny Smith unleashed her usual crone cackle of a laugh and wiped a tear away. “Oh you shouldda seen yer face! Don't mean ta be unkindly but ah jes had ta put a scarin' inta ya. It's how we do things out here. When ah heard 'bout this 'practice date' ah thought it seemed silly. But, ah guess you city ponies have yer ways about ya. And long as you was jes sitting and huggin with mah AJ, that's jes fine. It's how we go about startin' our courtin' here. Yea... ah remember snugglin' up ta Adam when we was jes startin' out. Oh he was a big stallion. Bigger'n Big Macintosh here. And that was some lovely courtin'...”

“Uhhh, Granny. Ah think we're a mite off the subject.” Applejack leaned in to nudge her elderly relative, who had begun to sink into her daydreams.

“What was that? Oh! Right. Anyways, t'aint none of mah business if you been snugglin' and kissin' all night. The feelin' is strong, ah can tell, and her heart must be good enough. The Princess sure is her friend. So where's the harm in it? T'aint none so far's ah can see. Now about that coffee... mebbee it'll keep ya outta our trees fer a day 'r' so.”

“Right... coffee! I take it black, with a bunch of sugar, like, a whole bunch. And in the biggest mug you have. You can get more sugar in it that way.”

“Gee, ah wunner why Twilight got the notion inta her head y'all might somehow have somethin' goin' with Pinkie Pie. The mystery is jes too deep 'n' mysterious.” Applejack gave Dash a flat, deadpan look, speaking with an affected and forced monotone.

“Chillax, Applejack! I've always done coffee like that. Extra strong, extra sweet, extra large. It gives me power. And it gets me charged and alert after a whole lot of dr...” She stopped, cold, eyes daring around to the three farmmponies, who had all turned to regard her.

“Whole lotta what, dearie?” Granny Smith inquired from the stove, where she was setting the large percolator to boiling.

“Whole... lot... of... dr... iving myself to practice harder and harder! Yea. That takes it out of you. And I was injured too! Yea, all smashed up and sore. But pour some coffee in me and I am good to go!” Dash delivered her finest cool mare smile, trying to hide the flop sweat and tightly controlled breathing.

“That's Dash, always workin' so hard... when she has a mind ta do it.” Applejack slapped Dash solidly on the back and gave her a good-natured noogie. She passed on the lame recovery, leaving that to Dash.

“Alright, alright, I deserve that. Yea, I confess, I sleep in your trees.”

And ya always let yer weather pony stuff go until the last minute. Good thing y'all can clear the skies... how do ya say it? 'In ten seconds flat.'” AJ laughed loudly and ruffled Dash's mane again, very quietly adding, “Hope that's th' only thing ya do that takes ten seconds.”

Dash grunted softly, flashing a disbelieving look back at AJ, who was wearing her usual I'm-smug-but-too-country-girl-good-to-be-smug look. She then shook her head and commented, “W-well, you know... that weather stuff is really boring. It's just a job. It's only sometimes cool, like when we transfer water up to Cloudsdale.”

“A job is a job, lil missy!” Granny Smith spoke quite sternly, shaking the percolating coffee pot over the flame. “And in this family we respect a good, honest job like that.” She stroked along her chin lightly with her free hoof. “That there is a gubbmint job, ain't it?”

“What? Yea, I guess so. All the weather stuff eventually goes through the Ministry of Environmental Services and Management, even though I work for Ponyville. Why?”

“Oh t'aint nothin' very important, young'n. Jes an innocent question from an old mare. No need t'concern yerself with mah little questions.” Granny poured out the coffee into one of the ceramic cider mugs usually reserved for special occasions, spooning huge piles of sugar in as she went. “So... that there house a'yers is all payed up and such, right?”

“Granny! Mah word.” Applejack gaped in Granny's direction, quickly looking to Rainbow Dash to gauge her level of offense.

“I was jes tryin' ta make conversation! Applejack, yer granny still has got all her marbles. T'aint nothing wrong with knowin' 'bout the mare that's gonna be hangin' about the place more often. Why, ah've gotta think 'bout Applebloom! Can't have all sorts wanderin' around at all hours.”

“Granny! We knows Rainbow Dash! She ain't no stranger come in outta th' cold. She's been a friend fer a long while. And now she's jes more. All this courtin' ain't changin' nothin'.” Applejack threw a leg around Dash's neck and pulled her in for a bone-straining hug of solidarity.

“Yea!” Dash squeaked out, keeping on her uncomfortable smile, disguising her personal discomfort as an effect of physical discomfort. “N-nothing's changing!”

- - -

“Nothing... changes...” Rainbow Dash sprawled out on the couch in the front room of her cloud mansion, staring at the ceiling pensively. “Nothing at all. Nothing. So... no difference in how we feel. Well... we were totally in love with each other before. We just never said it. Now we can touch each other, and totally make out. And get all hoofsy in the sensitive areas, touch tender flesh with lips and tongues and the soft parts of hooves, as much as they...

Dash grabbed her head and gave it a powerful shake. She wasn't back with Gilda. She wasn't getting sloshed in Fooler clubs and grabbing at any flesh that looked legal and unlikely to electrocute or pepper spray her. This was a different class of mare. A whole different quality and style of mare. Not a flit-around Fooler or half-drunk club babe, or any kind of easy-touching lady. This was an upright, hard-working farmpony, filled to the brim with all kinds of standards and quality and other things like that. She had a lot of rules to follow, to live up to that moral fiber and whatnot that was a part of her.

Now she was going to have to think about all of that if she was going to stay around. That wasn't all that hard; like all Equestrians she had a good and strong sense of morals. In the general sense, of course. She wasn't blatantly breaking laws like some separatist or Discordian. But she was very fond of skirting the specifics, arguing the technicalities and picking all the nits possible.

It was... fun. Being bad wasn't fun, of course, at least not all the time. A good prank has some element of badness. Not outright cruelty like Gilda but just a bit of badness, to make all the good things better. Something to make the victim laugh at their own pranking. But it wasn't about that sort of badness.

The fun kind was being able to laze around when there were important things to do. To shirk and loaf and put off until the last minute. That was both fun and totally cool. Sure, it was awesome to do tricks and pull impossible stunts. It sure impressed ponies. But even more fun, simply lazing around when there was lots to do.

There couldn't possibly be any more of that, not in the Apple family. It was all hard work, sunup to sundown. That was certainly admirable, as far as getting ahead in life and that sort of thing. But it really put a damper on goofing off and having a good time. Not that AJ and her family never had fun. They loved a good bit of dancing and physical challenges. Always active things. Except that one time she caught Big Macintosh brushing an old doll. That had been one of those 'sworn to secrecy' events.

She actually felt good, sort of noble and righteous for teaching AJ about the joys of goofing and loafing. She had seen the farmpony out more than once laying on her back under a tree with her hat down over her face, taking a nap in the mottled sunshine and warm atmosphere of a sunny noontide. That had certainly warmed her heart and assuaged her guilt when she went down with pillow and blanket to take a nap on a tree branch nearby. It had served as a kind of 'we understand one another' before they could declare their love.

It was all good, of course, teaching the hard-working mare to slow down and enjoy life. Wasn't it? Sure, she stood to inherit the farm and all the work that went with it. But, she had a brother to help out with that. And a little sister to take up even more of the slack as she grew older. And if there was a worker to take it, there could be no harm in adding a little extra slack. It would get taken care of, after all. No worries on that front.

Though there was a small worry, right at the back of her mind. Big Mac might not stay around if he married some farmer's daughter with her own spread. Applebloom was too young for marriage but would be nowhere near as effective as Big Mac. Teaching her to goof off could backfire. It was already making AJ less... AJ than she had been. She was getting less rigid and stern, become something other than the upright country mare that had first won her love. She was doing it to her. Dash didn't know if she could feel right about turning AJ into something other than what she had always been. She'd never fall out of love with her. But she might be unable to forgive herself for that change.

While Rainbow Dash was suffering through a sort of existential crisis based on how different things had to be and how much she was regretting changing Applejack, Applejack herself was conducting her usual quality control inspection on the apple trees she was harvesting. It always helped calm and clear her mind when things got complicated or especially pressing.

“Good color, perfect shape, no bruisin' from comin' down, this'd make a mighty fine eatin' apple. Looks like this batch is gonna pass.” Applejack carefully placed the apple down onto a basket of others just like it. After a few random pulls she had determined the whole lot was up to snuff, which meant the small section of orchard the samples came from was just right, as usual.

Applejack worked along, in a perfunctory fashion, quite certain that all the previous caring and management of the orchard would ensure that all the results would come up as expected. “Fine skin, decent color, odd shape, no bruisin'. Prob'ly gonna be a bakin' apple, judgin' by the type of it.” She was in the baked goods section of the orchard. It was hardly surprising.

She was so used to inspecting apples it was second nature to her. But there was one apple she had never thought to inspect in such a fashion. Herself. It never came up. Her own orchard, her family, was always seen to be so perfect and put together that it would be silly to examine herself. Only good apples ever emerged from a good orchard. Or rather, good apples emerged from a good orchard, even if a bad apple rolls out now and then.

A bad apple rolls out... she gave her head a shake and moved on with her mechanical investigation of the orchard section. She wasn't supposed to think about that particular part of the orchard. She was a good filly. She listened to the family way. And the family way was to be kind to family. That was why she even made certain the family bad apple was always kept in the loop. She had known him, after all, though just as a little filly. He mattered.

She was a good, obedient Apple. But she wasn't. Her little indiscretions were mild and infrequent. Shirking, slacking, poaching apples, passing along responsibilities to Big Mac when she wanted to hang out with her friends. Little things, besides the big thing that didn't mean much to her. So she wasn't quite as perfect of an apple as she liked to presume. A little shine was off her skin, and the color was off.

Little weeds could grow to take over a big garden. Little worms could ruin a whole apple tree. The little things could always add up to big things. She knew, of course, that all ponies have such little vices, those tiny little habits and inclinations that were meant to be hidden or denied. Pinkie had no sense of personal space and got into other pony's stuff; Twilight butted her head into everypony's business and could be an insufferable know-it-all; Rarity's snoot was planted in the air a lot of the time and she was forever trying to dodge responsibility; Fluttershy made her friends motivate her and always wanted things just so; even Dash had quite the mouth on her, not to mention quite the attitude. But all her friends were still perfectly good ponies. Especially Dash.

Was she... making excuses for Dash? She wasn't that type. She tried not to turn a blind eye to anything for anypony. But even that wasn't true. She blinded both her eyes to both sides of her family extremes. Her wayward, exiled uncle had been whitewashed into a smiling, slick and inoffensive figure, who traipsed about having interesting adventures, his criminal activities just the cost of surviving on the road; her grandmother was a kind, quirky mare, she had her ways about her, in an old-fashioned sense, no matter what she muttered or thought of buffalo, griffins, donkeys or Roa.

Everypony overlooked things for family, for friends and for love. For love... she had been making excuses for Dash even before. Oh she was straight on about a lot of the bad things she did, she set her head on right more than once. But she had her blind spots, like the Running of the Leaves situation. Dash had earned all her focus, got all of her scolding, but no small amount of her excuses. She even forgave ego and attitude more than a time or two, not to mention her loafing and slacking and using her orchard as a giant bedroom. It was harmless.

Excuses, excuses, excuses... she now knew why she had never before thought to inspect herself. There was a lot of rot underneath the bright, shiny skin. That apple certainly hadn't fallen far from the tree. She wasn't worthy of Dash. She was just a bushel of baseness and depravity, secrets and lies. Hardly worthy of such a mare. Good ponies were the ones that got good mares. It was how to tell.

“Shine's gone offa this one, color's drab, shaped like it lost a fight with an ornery manticore. Fit ta sell it. It'll be jes fine in...” Applejack sighed, looking down at the apples. These were her kind, “Applesauce.”

- - -

The night of initial promise had paid dividends for two out of the three couples. Fluttershy spent more time with Rarity, helping her with her creations. She had before, but there was a new understanding of what it meant. Now rather than a cold business relationship, it was a warm and amiable romantic time of conversation and long breaks for small snacks and snuggles. As an extra bonus, Angel seemed far more stable and agreeable whenever he was in the same room as Opal. Twilight and Pinkie... spent just as much time with each other as before. But there were more hugs, and plenty of kisses. And they ate far more lilies together, usually chocolate coated with a side of strawberries, though sometimes in a strawberry shake.

It was very different for AJ and Dash. Much like the others, they had spent a great deal of time with one another before. They continued to do things together, like compete in full-contact games, putter about in the orchard, and yell at one another over orchard sleeping arrangements. There was a certain casual closeness to it, however. Especially in full-contact activities. They were not deterred by hooves and limbs touching sensitive flesh. They seemed to jointly relish it, even if they often pulled away with mutual blushes. Their physicality was becoming a strange sticking point, because their relationship added import to such inadvertent touches and rubs.

Above and beyond that there were subjects they simply did not discuss. Mostly things that used to inspire arguments, like slacking off on a nice day, or taking naps when there were things to be done. There was still a bit of measured scolding from AJ, and some argument from Dash, but neither one really tried to change the other like they had before. They didn't date, but neither made much of it, satisfied that their normal activities were enough. And that was fine for many months, until the tickets arrived for the Grand Galloping Gala. They were sent out only one month before the event, to keep them from being stolen, and because they were effectively a mere formality for the six element bearers and Spike.

They were hardly unprepared. Rarity, with Fluttershy's help, had already made them new attire that suited their new relationships to a T. Vines twisted and wound through Rarity's crystal-bedecked dress, while stunning animals made of carved jewels frolicked along the fluffy viridian hills and valleys of Fluttershy's outfit; pink streamers formed a lattice through which the stars showed on Twilight's attire, and bright pink stars with artificial candies at each point were scattered onto Pinkie's; the rainbows of Rainbow Dash's dress were in oscillating waves, each wave terminating in a rainbow apple brooch, and Applejack's duds were enhanced with rainbow-toned fringe. All in all, another triumph of style, to stun Canterlot palace.

That was not the issue. Rarity had really brought the issue into clarity when she formally asked Fluttershy to accompany her to the Gala. Though a lady usually waited to be asked, she understood who was the real blushing lass where Fluttershy was concerned. That led Twilight to try and arrange a private, romantic dinner at the nicest restaurant in Ponyville, with private musicians in attendance, to ask Pinkie. The pink party pony had asked her out to the Gala before the soup had finished steaming.

Rainbow Dash knew she'd have to ask Applejack to the Gala. She couldn't fall behind her friends. Applejack knew Rainbow Dash would have to ask her to the Gala, because the proper country tradition was to come calling, see the family and get all their blessings. That was the way, and beyond negotiation. Dash didn't know how much import was in the asking.

Dash flew down to the front door of the Apple family home, with all she figured she would need for her endeavors. She held a bundle of flowers, a mix of Applejack's favorites; a box of chocolates in case she wasn't hungry for flowers; and a little silver apple pendant on a silver chain. She was also dressed for success, wearing a dress shirt as she had worn in previous times going out, though with far less noble intentions. Her mane had been slicked and adjusted to look proper, combining with the shirt to give her a preppy look. It was completely unlike her, almost like a disguise for what her intentions were probably thought to be; an attempt to make her look innocent.

She knocked on the door, like a proper caller, not too hard and confident, but not with a limp hesitation. Just right. She hadn't ever been so formal or proper, but she had practiced a lot at home just before. She looked at herself in the window of the door and adjusted her mane again, giving her reflection a slick, confident smile and a pop of her eyebrows.

The door flew open with an eager energy, revealing the smiling face of Applebloom. She looked enthused and excited by the prospect of answering the door. But on seeing who was behind it her face instantly fell, and her eyes rolled as she turned away. “Sis, it's fer you. Got me all charged up and ain't even fer me...” She wandered away, muttering to herself.

“Applebloom! Where are yer manners? Jes 'cause it ain't Zecora don't mean ya can be rude!” Applejack yelled back at her sister, an annoyed look on her face. She then turned to the door and finally noticed who was there. After the initial surprise, she looked down for a moment and gave an awkward smile. “O-oh. Hey there, Dash. Uh, y'all wanna come in?”

“Oh yea, that would be great.” The pegasus slid into the room, walking casually on three legs as she cradled her gifts. “Go easy on the kid. Not everypony can be all crazy over me. I know it. Scoots is a big enough fan, enough to be worth three regular fans.”

“Ah s'pose that's so. Ah can't rightly blame her. We all get up and excited 'bout different things. Well, come on in and set a spell.” AJ stepped through towards the living room, looking back at Dash's cargo. “Whatcha got in yer grasp there?”

“Oh, right, this is for you.” Dash held out the collection of items. “A bouquet with your favorites, apple blossoms, violets, daisies, and even a big, red rose. I got you some chocolates in case you wanted something sweet instead. And this is just a little necklace that I thought you might like.”

Before Applejack could accept the items being offered, a wrinkled old hoof shot out and got between her and Dash. “Now hold it right there, missy! Think y'all can jes come in here an' offer all these things to mah granddaughter like some easy-courtin' slicker with a fancy new carriage? Hoofin' them all off ain't how we do things here, not with what ya prob'ly got in mind as 'payment' fer all this.”

“Granny...” Applejack was blushing up a storm, darting her eyes quickly about. “Ain't no reason ta say things like that 'bout Dash. 'Specially not with Applebloom still in the house like she is. She might hear ya.”

“Applebloom's gotta learn soon enough 'bout this. Soon enough, sooner'n we'd like them fillies and colts is gonna be herdin' around, tryin' ta work their way inta our acreage. Now stand aside, Applejack. This is work fer yer granny.” Granny Smith stepped up into Rainbow Dash's face. “Now, sit'cher flank down and we'll get to it.”

At first, Dash wasn't sure what to think. She had envisioned handing off the items, making some small talk then asking her question. Maybe with the promise of a high-speed stunt show, or even a flight to sweeten the pot for AJ, even though she was pretty much guaranteed to say 'yes' and make the Gala a real date. She hit the couch and laid herself across it, sitting up straight and looking attentive. “Yes, ma'am.”

Granny Smith hobbled her way in front of Dash, pacing before her and occasionally giving her the evil eye. “So, ya come bearin' gifts, eh? Flowers, chocolates... tryin' ta get to mah granddaughter through her stomach, eh?”

“W-wait that wasn't what-” Dash began.

“Not now, young'un. Ain't yer time ta talk jes yet.” Granny Smith practically put her hoof on Dash's mouth. “And ya got this. Whatcha got..?” She took the box and opened it up. “Silver? Ah see... mah granddaughter ain't worth gold? T'aint all that much more expensive! An' while we loves and respects Princess Luna, in this house we still remember the long reign of Celestia.”

Neither Dash nor AJ said anything for a moment, looking at each other with a stunned and slightly uncomfortable expression. AJ finally spoke up, quietly saying, “Well, Granny, ah don't need no fancy bits and baubles, they ain't gonna impress me much. An' truth ta tell, ah kinda like silver...”

“Now, now, Applejack, ya gotta get the best ya can get. Platinum would be better, but gold is easy ta see. Makes ya look nice 'n' fancy, like it used ta be in Pericarp. But ain't no matter... ya shouldn't jes settle. Ya gotta get all that ya can. Think 'bout th' intentions of yer callers. What're they really after? Really?”

“Now ah'm sure Rainbow Dash ain't here fer that, Granny. She ain't the type ta do that kinda thing. She's a good mare, Granny. A good mare. Ah'm sure if we jes ask, you'll see.”

Both sets of eyes turned to rainbow dash, trapping her in a pair of powerful gazes and making her jump up, her flop sweat coming back with a vengeance. “So then, missy, jes what was ya comin' here ta do with yer slicker mane and all yer fancy little trinkets?”

Dash was stunned into silence for a moment, working her mouth with no sound emerging. After a short bit she coughed and put on a wavering smile. “Heh. I just wanted to look nice. I mean, AJ's an awesome pony, and she deserves to have an awesome mare coming in to see her. Plus the other girls got all fancy when they were asking about the Gala. I figured I'd do it by the book, just right.”

Granny Smith glared into Dash's eye, leaning closer and closer, neck stretching out until she was at the limit of her capability. She then broke out into a big smile and moved aside, to push AJ in front of the couch. “There now, gitcherself in place and do it all right. Kinfolk! Kinfolk! C'mon in here and set up 'round the couch ta watch this.”

After a bit of shuffling around in the house Applebloom and Big Macintosh rushed into the living room, the filly looking a little annoyed, while the big stallion finished tucking a gray piece of cloth into his collar. They stood near either end of the couch, looking pointedly at AJ and Dash. “Sorry 'bout this, miss Dash. Jes the family way.”

“Yea. But ah didn't wanna be here. Why do ah gotta be here fer this?”

“Hush up, Applebloom. Gotta hold to the family traditions. Now, go on young'un.”

AJ strolled up closer to Dash and coughed into her hoof, taking off her stetson with a sweep. “So, uh, Dash... y'all came a-callin' down here with some beautiful things fer me. Jes what did ya come a-callin' about?”

“AJ, you know what-” Dash started.

“Dash! Jes go with it or we'll be here all night.” AJ hissed through her teeth, before clearing her throat and asking, “What was that?”

“Uh... I'm here to call on you to... invite you-” A head shake from AJ, “To ask you if... you would be my da-” Another, “You would accompany me to this year's Grand Galloping Gala?”

“Why Dash! This is so sudden and unexpected. Ah jes don't know if ah could possibly. Ah've gotta ask mah kinfolk if they think ah ought to do it.” She turned shyly aside to look to Granny Smith. “Granny... would it be appropriate ta go with Dash to the Grand Galloping Gala?”

“Well now, mah lil one, it ain't easy ta say. Ah look at her and ah see a slick Fooler out here fer very bad purposes.” Granny Smith nodded her head and turned away. “But ah know her. She's got a good head on her shoulders most times. She may sleep in our orchard but she ain't got much ta speak against her. And she did bother to come a-callin' with yer family around. So... ah s'pose it would be alright if ya went to the Grand Galloping Gala with her.”

AJ turned back around to Dash, sliding her hat onto her head. “Well now, Dash, looks like ah will be accompanyin' ya to the Gala. Thank ya kindly fer askin'. And thank ya very kind fer the gifts.”

“Sure. No problem. I'm really looking forward to it.” Dash looked around at all the faces looking at her, with intensity, apology, or annoyance. “So now... dinner?”

Granny Smith cleared her throat, while Big Mac and Applebloom wandered away. “No, dearie. Now ya gotta go. It's outta mah hooves. Jes the way we do it. It takes a mite more than jes comin' a-callin' ta have some dinner with us. Sorry. But you understand. AJ, please escort yer gentlemare caller out. Wouldn't wanna keep her from her own vittles.”

“Yes, Granny.” AJ motioned with her head. “C'mon, Dash. Ah'll see ya out.”

“R-right. Sure. Thanks for having me in.” Dash flitted herself up off of the couch and slowly strolled with AJ towards the front door. “What was all that about? That's really weird. Never had to do that kinda thing before.”

“Sorry 'bout that, Dash. Ah wish ah had known ya was comin' over ta ask me. Ah woulda warned ya. Mah family... has its ways. Granny's gotta make sure the courtin' is happenin' fer the right reason. Ain't nothin' against ya. Everypony's gotta go through it.” AJ blushed a bit as she stood by the door. “Ah'm powerful glad ya came 'round ta ask, Dash. Means a lot.”

“Hey, I couldn't let the other girls outclass me. You're the mare I love, you deserve all the mush I can manage.” Dash winked and laughed lightly. “Besides... weird as it was, at least now I know your family likes me. Except Applebloom.”

“Yea, sorry fer mah sis...” AJ rubbed the back of her head self-consciously, “She's been real excited 'bout hangin' out with Zecroa, has been since they met. Ever since that there bout of the Cutie Pox she's been even more eager. Ah swears, if it ain't them Crusaders it's Zecroa. No matter. Ah can't wait fer the Gala. Gonna be one great night.”

“You bet it is.” Dash gave a wink and then looked out at the orchard. “There goes my plan to add some awesome with a kick-flank flight over the orchard. And free food after.”

AJ chuckled and ruffled Dash's styled mane. “It ain't yer night, lovergirl. Shame ta say it. That flight sounds like a hoot.”

“Well... guess I'll head back to the old cloud house. Later, AJ.” Dash leaned in, kissed Applejack on the cheek for a long moment, then pulled away a little reluctantly. She swallowed hard, slid her hooves a little self-consciously on the porch then took off with a sudden snap of rushing air, leaving her usual rainbow trail.

AJ rubbed softly at her cheek as she watched the rainbow trail fade. “Dash... ah wouldn'ta minded if ya had kissed mah lips. Or if yer hooves had been a-reachin' fer me. Ah'm yer mare. Ain't ah?”

- - -

The night of the gala came at last, with much fanfare and to-do both in Ponyville and Canterlot. The mode of transport for that evening was looked upon as a step down as far as the tradition-minded ponies of Canterlot were concerned, but which made a great deal of sense to the seven Ponyville participants. They traveled to the palace in a luxurious stretch carriage made from a magically-expanded courgette which was pulled not by a team of volunteers but was drawn along using an electrothaumatic engine.

The courgette carriage allowed for more couple intimacy, as each pair in the trio of couples could settle with one another and snuggle, or speak intimately, or both. Rarity and Fluttershy occupied the extreme rear of the carriage, the fashionista unicorn attempting to calm and assure her pegasus love that the evening would be alright, and to not worry about having to meet relative strangers for networking purposes, as Rarity would protect her from harm and pressure; Pinkie and Twilight were sitting in the middle, left of the central aisle. Twilight was in full instructor mode, laying down the ground rules and regulations for Pinkie in order to avoid a repeat of what the Canterlot insiders had come to call 'the incident.' She was also very sweetly and very directly stating that she would never leave Pinkie's side, even if the princess required her to do so.

Applejack and Rainbow Dash were seated near the front of conveyance, slightly apart and looking a bit awkwardly at one another. They hadn't spoken since Dash had picked up AJ at her home and flown her to the carriage. They both seemed otherwise pleased to be together, and were apparently enjoying the trip. But conversation seemed to not come.

The silence persisted until AJ asked, “You gonna try and hang out with them Wonderbolts again?”

The response to it was quick, as if the question had been expected, “Nah! That didn't work out. I figure I'm better off hanging with my mare, helping her out by using my awesomeness to attract customers.”

“Yer in luck. Ah ain't gonna be doin' no more-a mah griftin'. Ah ain't got the chops fer it. Only one Apple in this family's got the skills, much as he tries t'get me ta do better at it. So, ya get me, an' all mah undivided attention. That's the sorta thing ya like, right Dash?”

“Heh heh, yea... ya got me. Nothing wrong with somepony as great as me wanting an audience. But it's gotta be the right audience. I can handle a crowd of one if it's somepony that's cool, and cute, and sweet and awesome and...”

“Dash...”

“If that somepony is you.” Dash suddenly kissed AJ on the end of her snout, between her nostrils and just above her upper lip. She pulled away very quickly, looking a little sheepish, perhaps even... guilty. “S-sorry about that. Got caught up in the moment, y'know?”

“Don't make no nevermind ta me, Dash...” AJ said, breathily, a hoof coming up to gingerly touch the spot that had been kissed. “Yer mah mare, and ah'm yers. Ain't we supposed ta kiss an' hug an' alla that?”

“Oh yea! Oh yea we are!” Dash suddenly grabbed up AJ and gave her a squeeze that would have been too hard for most ponies. The farm mare was hardy enough to handle the power of the squeeze. “S-sorry. Guess I just can't get it through my head that I've got you.”

AJ adjusted her position to try and find one that felt comfortable and natural in the embrace. Nothing seemed to fit. She wasn't quite squirming around; that wasn't her style. But she was uncomfortable in the awkward wrap, even if her body could take the strength. “Ain't nothin' wrong with that. Ah'm kinda special, ya know. A real catch. Guess ah'm still stunnin' ya.” AJ smiled a huge smile, trying to hide discomfort with smugness.

Dash gave a laugh that was loud, strong and sincere. With a shake of her head she released AJ and gave her a sincerely appreciative look. “Yea, that's totally it. The co-awesomest pony in Equestria is my mare. Kinda tough to keep that straight. I'm just glad you are.”

The ride for them continued on in silence while the others conversed. That all ended when they reached the front of the palace, where they were announced by an officious-looking unicorn in a majordomo outfit. “Presenting the Elements of Harmony with adjunct Spike the dragon.” This created a small smattering of polite applause as they left the carriage and strolled to the front gates.

“Tickets, please.” Their movement was impeded by a pair of pegasus guards, looking fairly imposing in their polished gold barding. The one who had spoken was a large, thickly-muscled stallion with piercing golden eyes and a strong voice. The other was smaller, slightly feminine but certainly male, who seemed very rigid, his eyes staring straight ahead even as his wing shot out to interrupt passage.

“Of course, sirs.” Twilight spoke for the group, levitating out the seven tickets and letting them hover over each one's head for an accurate count before handing them to the larger pegasus.

The powerful stallion nodded his head and used some type of gem-studded device to pierce the tickets, which lost their golden sheen. He then tore them in half and deposited them into a pouch under his barding. He and his partner lowered their wings and he snapped his golden eyes forward. “Please enjoy the gala.”

As soon as they were through the doors, the six were off in different directions, two by two. Rarity, with a demure and slightly huddled Fluttershy in tow, made her way right into the crowd of well-dressed ponies. She recognized a few important figures such as Fancy Pants, who was engaged in polite conversation with an elegant-looking white unicorn mare, very probably a model with whom he was acquainted. Pinkie was off like a snap to the area containing the buffet, Twilight desperately following in her wake with polite cries detailing what the etiquette book had to say on matters. That left AJ and Dash with nowhere to go. The VIP section would gladly let them in, but Dash had promised not to go. AJ had nothing to sell outside, which was the only other place they could think to go.

“Okay... nothing to sell out of that snake-oil cart of yours, no going to the VIP section to hang out with the famous folks. Now what do we do?” Dash hovered slightly over the heads of the surrounding ponies. “I don't see any games around here. I know that sounds like a Pinkie Pie thing but... a contest would be nice.”

“Ah hears ya, sugarcube, ah hears ya...” AJ looked through the milling crowd of bodies to the halls beyond. She could see the musicians again, the same group as the previous year. The ponies before them were dancing in a formal and stilted fashion. “Say now... ah think ah've got a notion...”

“What? Whatcha got?” Dash hit the ground and started looking around with a furious energy.

“Look over there. A buncha ponies fancy-dancin'. Ah ain't much fer that an' ah know you ain't fer it neither. 'Tween the two of us we's got eight left hooves, when it comes ta that. But ah'm willin' ta wagers that ah can handle doing that there dancin' better'n you can.”

With a lick of her lips and a scrape of her hoof against the floor, Dash nodded and gave AJ a squinty look. “Like Rarity says, 'It. Is. On.' Let's get to it.”

They both made their way through the crowd with a certain grace, though they were on the cusp of running, a sort of elegant power-trotting that attracted annoyed expressions but no actual complaints. Soon enough they were facing one another on the dance floor. “Ah'm gonna be a gallopin' lummox at this. But y'all ain't gonna be much better. Let's get it.” With that, AJ started to move, following the cues she could find in the music's tempo and taking a look at what the surrounding ponies were doing.

Dash smoothly matched the moves, even if it galled her. She was playing catch-up. Worse, she was doing it by imitating her partner. But she had no choice. She was completely lost when it came to fancy dances. If there were some screaming tunes blaring, and they were at a club, she'd be tearing it up, a mare under each wing while she thrashed her body around...

The contrast had never been more stark. Even if both were out of their elements, she was in the middle of her new life. Her old life would never have brought her anywhere close to Canterlot palace. The only 'palace' she would be in would be any club that got pretentious with their name, and she'd only be in low terrace clubs in Canterlot, if she ever worked up the cash and flash to get in. But she was there, in a dress she never would have considered before, doing a dance she couldn't name to music she never listened to, inside of a Palace she never thought she'd enter.

The insecurities were the same as at the last Gala, but they had had a fine point put on them with the addition of Applejack, the mare she was never supposed to get. She was a flashy Fooler who did her time in bars and clubs. Even without a lot of notches in her belt, she had come close enough to closing a lot of deals, not to mention all the action that ran up to that. She should have been destined for a string of short relationships and loneliness, or a solitary life interrupted by partying and vomiting. She had pulled herself up out of all of that, but there still remained that part of her that felt unworthy of anything not included in that kind of life.

Applejack was certainly nothing to do with that sort of life. She was the good kind of mare. The kind that looked at ponies carefully, only ever dated the right ones, settled down with their perfect match, raised a pile of foals and retired to a rocking chair on the porch, content and happy. She was like some kind of living yardstick. If a pony dated that kind of mare, they were something. If that pony was chosen as a long-term partner, they were perfect. Upright mares chose good mares. That was why she felt unworthy of AJ. She was nothing at all like a good mare.

The self-deprecating thoughts came to an abrupt halt when Dash saw a stallion slip up and give AJ a sudden hug, which certainly surprised the farm mare. He whispered something to her, something that made her halt the hoof that was coming to strike the stallion. He was dressed in something that looked relatively nice but dated, a white dress shirt with a ruffled chest, a black vest and a black jacket. He had a lace bow at his throat, and a black mane that was slicked back and shiny. The caramel coat and chocolate eyes were somehow familiar.

After the quick whisper and hug he slipped off and was soon completely lost in the crowd. “Hey, AJ, who was that?”

Applejack didn't answer for a while. She didn't do anything for a while. Just stood there, looking stunned, confused and even a little bit sad. Finally, the question reached through her head, at least enough to move her to lift up her head. “What was that?”

“I said, who was that?”

“Oh... he's... he's nopony. Nopony we can talk about, anyhow.” AJ hung her head and gave a sigh.

It suddenly clicked in Dash's head. The coloring, the look, the inability to talk about him, even when he could say something and hug Applejack. “Wait... that was your uncle, wasn't it? The one...”

“Yea Dash... jes... jes be quiet 'bout it. It was our family's one bad apple.” AJ strolled up to Dash and gave her a hug. “Leave it off, Dash. Let's jes... get some vittles. Ain't nothin' more ta be done 'round here.”

“O-okay... fine.” Dash followed along behind AJ, looking into the spot where the stallion had vanished. “But... what did he say?”

Though she hesitated, AJ couldn't keep the answer inside. “He said he was glad we was together. And he'd send a letter, sooner or later.”

- - -

The Gala went far better than the previous year. No disasters, panic or confusion. The biggest scandal had been the absence of Princess Luna. Rumors were plentiful, from stage fright to intentional snubbing to small whispers that she had had some company that evening. Those were dismissed; after all, the thousand-year-displaced princess was unlikely to hit it off with anypony so quickly, not without something in common. The official response from Princess Celestia had been simply that her sister had been taking care of important business and lost track of time.

The Ponyville contingent unanimously declared it a successful evening indeed. Networking had paid off for Carousel Boutique, with many of the fashion buyers noting how much their opinions had been swayed by Fluttershy's charming timidity. Twilight had found the evening far more entertaining than she had thought she would; following Pinkie around keeping her out of trouble had been almost like a game. Pinkie herself had had a grand time playing 'Follow the leader' with Twilight. Spike had danced with ten different mares, and even been kissed a few times, once on the lips. While commentary from the two was sparse, AJ and Dash both noted they had done some fancy dancing and ended up coming in with a tie in their competition.

Neither one said what had happened after. Following the encounter with her uncle, AJ had sought comfort in food and drink, finding nothing but empty calories until Dash had intervened with a kiss. That had taken her mind away from all her troubles. For a moment, they were allowed to be a normal couple, perfectly in love with one another. So long as their minds were occupied with one another, they were fine.

After the Gala, that still held true. Overthinking and navel-gazing brought on a distinctly dark cast to thoughts about the future. They only created bad impressions of the thinker. So there was a retreat from self-examination, on both sides. They accepted the situation as it was. That suited them well.

Not long after, the invitation came. Ditzy Doo the mailmare deposited the envelope in Rainbow Dash's hoof. “Here you go, Dash! I was told to deliver this personally!”

“Uhhh... thanks, Ditzy.”

“No problem. Later!” The mare zomed off with impressive speed, banking down towards Ponyville to continue her route.

“Hoof-delivered letter. Maybe it's from the Wonderbolts...” She checked the front of it. The writing was flowing, but with some tremble to it. Miss Rainbow Dash, Cloud Manor, Ponyville. No return address, and no postage. That meant it was paid at the post office and put on a special delivery schedule.

She tore open the envelope and found a neatly-folded message written on heavy cardstock, in the same elegant yet shaky script as on the envelope.

Dear miss Dash,

You are invited to have dinner at the Apple family homestead this evening at eight. Informal attire or none is acceptable. Please be punctual, dinner will not be delayed.

Cordially,

Eugenia Smith-Apple

“Huh... never figured Granny Smith would be that fancy. This is a pretty big deal. Guess I've gotta go. I've been wanting some of that free grub anyhow...” Dash contemplated the letter. Now there was something she had really never considered before. A formal invitation to anything. Least of all to dinner at a beautiful mare's home, with her family there, making it... awkward.

That's the thought that attacked her all day, through her duties and preparations. She had promised herself that she would stop letting things get to her. But it wasn't her fault that things just kept coming up. It was even more unusual for some working stiff from a factory town, who was good at athletic things, to be getting all kinds of formal, fancy things. She certainly found herself in more than her fair share of situations that required a dress. She had even tried her hoof at designing her own. For all the disaster it was, she had still tried.

Suited to it or not, she had adapted well to the various situations. The circumstances never truly threw her for a loop. Her natural talent as a showmare left her able to move and blend as required. She acted fast, thought fast, and responded fast when she needed to. So even a nobody from Cloudsdale could look right in Canterlot, rubbing wither with the rich and famous.

She took the letter to heart, opting to keep her style the same as ever: Rainbow mane properly separated into the individual colors, tail the same, and no outfit to hide her awesome figure. She didn't even bother to slick her mane like she had before. Though in a touch that was more 'flitty Fooler' than intended she added a spritz of spicy body spray.

She arrived at the homestead slightly early, almost an impossibility for her. But she had the feeling her usual casual tardiness wouldn't fly, considering the trouble they had taken. She slipped a hoof through her mane one more time, cracked her neck, and knocked on the door.

As happened before, the door was very swiftly answered by an eager Applebloom, who snorted dismissively and turned away. “Sis! It's YER gentlemare caller.” She stalked away into the house, complaints barely audible.

“Applebloom, what did ah tell ya about doin' that?!” Applejack shook her hoof at her little sister and snorted heavily before turning on Dash with a friendly smile. “Good evenin' Miss Dash. Please come in.”

“Thanks AJ. This is... I'm not even sure what this is. Glad you're having me in for some food but was the letter really necessary? We could just have a picnic or something.”

“Ain't how we work things in this family, missy.” Granny Smith hobbled up with a smile and a slight bow of her head. “Ya don't get a garden soir-ee fer a while. No unless there's a special reason. Gotta do it right, after all. Now come to the table, young'un. Let's get ta eatin'.”

The table in the dining room had been elaborately set. A white tablecloth covered it, nice but ill-used. Silver candelabra sat on either side of a centerpiece made of silk flowers. There were fine porcelain plates at each place, as well as an unnecessary number of utensils beside each plate. Even with all that, the dishes were all laid out surrounding the centerpiece, including a large soup pot. “Wow. AJ, this is really... wow.”

“Thank ya fer yer kindness, young'un, but t'aint no big deal. We're very fancy here when we have a mind ta be. Fancy as anything y'all'll find in Canterlot. No need ta worry 'bout us not bein' up ta standards.” Granny Smith delivered a solicitous smile as she pulled out a chair for Dash.

“Uh, yea. I can... see that...” Out of her element again, Dash sat on her flank in the chair, rear legs pulled in while her hooves rested on the table.

“Hooves off the table, dearie. Ah knows ya come out of a fact'ry town, but manners're always the same.” Granny Smith's tone was scolding but very light, as though afraid of offending Dash.

“Oh, right, sorry.” Dash placed her hooves on the front of the chair, looking desperately at AJ, who was seated in a similar posture. As she had at the Gala, she would be taking her cues from the other mare. Surely, AJ had to know what to do. It was her family, after all.

AJ sat with a fairly good posture, hat already off and set to the side. She watched as the rest of the family took their seats, noting with a scowl that Applebloom looked annoyed once more. “Applebloom, keep makin' that face and it'll stick.”

“Maybe ah want it ta stick like that, so's ah can have a cutie mark fer makin' faces. Ever think 'bout that?” Applebloom stuck her tongue out at her sister, getting an immediate swat on her flank from her grandmother.

“Hush up, now! We has ourselves a guest. Mind yer manners or ah'll cut mahself an apple switch. Don't think ah won't.” Granny Smith's eyes were stern and firm, making it well known that it was no idle threat. After seeing that Applebloom took her words seriously she smiled at Dash and motioned towards a large roast delicata squash. “Miss Dash, seein' as yer getting' ta sit at the head of the table, would ya care ta carve?”

It seemed like a straightforward question. But something about it reminded her of the last time she was there. The formality and order. She looked quickly to AJ, who was subtly shaking her head. “O-oh, that's alright. It's, er, your squash and your house. If you want to, you can.”

“My, my. How kind of you to give up that sort of honor. See, Applebloom? Now that's good manners. Ah knew ah had a good feeling about you, miss Rainbow Dash.” Granny Smith took up the utensils and cut into the flesh of the squash, releasing a warm, sweet aroma around the table.

The dinner proceeded along in a cordial, if stiff, fashion. Conversation was restricted to light topics such as Applebloom's adventures in the Everfree with Zecora or Big Mac's assessment of the state of the orchard. The food was a good collection of apple-infused staples and roasted vegetables. Dessert was even provided, an apple tart for everypony at the table.

“Ahh, that was quite a dinner, Granny Smith.” Dash rubbed her distended belly lightly and sighed, leaning back casually in her chair. A glare from AJ sent her back up, straight and tall.

“Glad ya liked it, young'un. Now, would ya care ta stay fer some cards 'r some other kinda parlor game?”

Dash checked her blonde-maned crib sheet and noted the shake. “Nah, that's alright. It's kinda late. I don't want to impose.”

“Ain't no imposition. But if ya must go, ya must. Yer job must start powerful early. Ours sure does. It's been a pleasure, miss Dash. Applejack, be a dear and see yer marefriend out.” Granny Smith sternly nodded her head and hobbled out, followed by Big Mac and Applebloom.

“Woah. What was that?” Out on the porch Dash shook her head and peeked behind AJ into the house.

“That was Granny rememberin' when we was flush in Pericarp. But that ain't nothin' that oughtta bother ya. Ya made it through the worst of it. Ain't gonna be so formal from here. She had ta put ya through it ta see if yer 'fact'ry city' self could take it. Ya did good, Dash. Ya done real good so far. Ah think yer gonna make it in the family.” AJ leaned forward suddenly and drew Dash into a tight embrace. “Whatever mah crazy kin may do, jes remember ah loves ya, Dash.”

Dash went stiff for a moment before settling into the embrace. She nuzzled her snout in against AJ's neck and slid up, snuffling her warm mane as she reached the underside of the farm mare's ear. She smelled like work; musk and sweat, with the traces of dust and hay and the ever-present perfume of apples. It was beautiful. It was perfectly her. After taking a nibble on the lowest cup of that ear Dash pulled back to look into AJ's eyes. “I'm sorry I'm so weird, AJ.”

“Mm, t'aint yer fault, sugarcube...” AJ sighed and shivered lightly, loosening her grip on Dash so the cyan pegasus could move as she desired. “Mah kin were weird to ya first. An' besides, yer life was pretty unconventional. Ain't hard ta act a mite squirrely after all ya been through. Ah can only imagine what that Gilda put ya through. But, hay, ya came through it beautiful, and yer jes right fer me.”

Dash stiffened up for a moment, and pulled her mouth away from AJ's ear. She had no idea what she was saying. She couldn't. If she thought a flitty Fooler who used to puke up her liquid supper after tasting some stranger's tongue was just right for her, she was deluded. The embrace and nibbling seemed even more wrong. Even though AJ held her loosely, she thought it would be better to be let go. She leaned in for another kiss, catching her on the snout again. “Better get back in there. They're probably waiting.”

“Yea... ya ain't wrong there... Granny'll give me a whoopin' if ah keep on with this here. We can be alone some other time. Maybe in th' orchard or when we're in town.” AJ winked and released Dash, turning back to the house. “Ya can buy me an egg cream at Sugarcube Corners, sugarcube.”

Dash gave a cool, relaxed laugh, sliding a hoof through her mane. “Egg cream, got it. But only if you buy the cupcakes.” She took to the wing, hovering above the porch. “Deal?”

“It's a date. A real one.” AJ gave one last wink and grin before closing the door.

Dash zipped off with a trace of worry on her face. A date. A real one. An informal one, sure. Egg creams and cupcakes in town. But wasn't that when a relationship was most secure and deep? When dates were casual and relaxed? There was so much comfort in both they could just let it all hang out and enjoy one another's company. She felt like she was rushing forward at Sonic Rainboom speed, without a clue, without a plan, without a helmet, pads or anything. Just a tumbling path straight into the ground.

Buck the habits of the past few weeks after the Gala. There was no time for rationality and sense. It was a time for navel-gazing, overthinking and stress. Lots of stress. Maybe there was something to cut a little of the stress out of the equation.

Booze used to work really well.

- - -

They had their date. And it went well. It was the most casual thing in the world. Had they not been giving each other occasional meaningful glances and talking about family it might have seemed just like two friends sharing some sweets. It was so successful they repeated it a week later. Then again a few days after.

The regularity of it, and the reduction in time between was far from comforting. Stuck in a strange relationship limbo, not living together, not separated from one another and coming together only for dates, and not really formally engaged, the friendship-turned-love was filled with ambiguity. Rainbow Dash hated ambiguity of all sorts. To make things worse, it was ambiguous in another order.

Applejack was also no fan of ambiguity. That kind of 'maybe-yes-maybe-no' uncertainty, filled with shades of gray just rubbed her entirely the wrong way. She was a simple, strong country mare. Things were or were not. It was what made her such a great Element of Honesty. Truth was determinable and sure. Opinions and stammering conditions didn't enter it.

To AJ, the relationship was not only going smoothly, it was growing more and more secure, much like the relationships of her friends. They all showed no indication of uncertainty or hesitation. Except Fluttershy, but that seemed to be genetic. It proved to her that her decision was right.

She had stopped overthinking, and gone with the relationship as it appeared. She approached it with no illusions or deceptions. She had tried to thrust aside the trembling uncertainty and slight self-pity by being as straight and narrow as possible, the picture of honesty. If she was so honest and honorable, she would no longer need to feel tainted and bruised. She was nopony's bad apple. She was just Rainbow Dash's mare.

Dash resolved the ambiguity another way. Every evening in her cloud house she had a bottle of ale. Just one. Or two if there had been anything stressing her out more than usual. It was just a little something, something that really worked. It was both comforting, through the action of the alcohol, and nostalgic. Certainly, not all the memories it brought back were pleasant, but they were her memories, and alcohol had been there. A soothing echo of the past.

As before she was certainly no lush. Ponyville already had one, if the rumors about Berry Punch were to be believed. She just liked to kick back at the end of the day and drink. Alone. In order to stop herself from thinking too hard about her relationship. The realization that she was trying to hide from her own thoughts had been worth a third ale. Nothing major. Just one more than normal. Easy.

That suited her just fine for another few months, when another letter came to her. It was less formal than the last one, and asked her to be down in the orchard in a week for a party. There were promises of games, contests and plenty of free party food. That night saw no need for ale. She was satisfied with the contemplation of her luck. No confusing, scripted social situations or awkward parting at the door. Just some games, some grub, a smooch in the orchards and then back home. Just like the drunk old days, minus the booze.

Life never went exactly as promised. There would always be some kind of catch to trip up the unwary. Anticipation would bring joy, and excitement, but then make it all the worse when reality set it. Certainly, Rainbow Dash got her garden party. When she saw the setup it was as promised. Obstacle course, horseshoe toss, other sports and games, along with an informal buffet of apple snacks. That action started immediately and let her be lulled into a sense of security. She never felt anything but joy when she was trying her all against the only mare she knew could match her.

She was feeling bright and relaxed, unprepared for being drawn over to the table where Granny Smith was setting out roasted vegetables for an additional hot supper. “Havin' a good time, miss Dash?”

“Oh yea! This is awesome. I just love plenty of action. And, your cooking, of course, ma'am.” Dash pulled from her contorted expression of delight and smiled more formally at Granny Smith.

“So polite, an' so kind. Ah needs two more jes like ya. Hmm... maybe jes one. Ah, makes no nevermind ta me. Yer good fer mah AJ. That's all that matters. Can ya spare a bit of time ta sit here an' talk to an old mare?”

“Sure.” Dash would have greatly preferred to be back at the games. But she had learned her lesson. Do what Granny Smith asked, no matter what.

“Ya really are a kind mare. Now... ya never answered mah question. Is that there cloud house paid off 'r are ya carryin' a mortgage on yer back?”

“What?”

“Come on now, ya can tell me. How about yer job? You still down at the bottom doin' all the scut work 'r have the promoted ya? Yer the supervisor 'r the manager, ain'tcha?” The old mare was staring into Dash's eyes, practically boring into her skull with the force of her serious gaze.

“I- I- I'm organizer. I take care of the big jobs. They don't let just anypony lead the Winter Wrap-Up cloud clearing and snow melt. Sure, I could probably be supervisor but I don't need to be. I make a good living. The cloud house was paid off quick, I did the labor on it. I'm not carrying a mortgage or anything.” Suddenly, she was feeling uncommonly defensive. Why was she being asked so many personal, and awkward, questions?

“Winter Wrap-Up. Well that's lovely dear.” The old mare gave a large, sincere-seeming smile. She then snapped back into her intense look. “But why ain't ya the supervisor? If ya got the skills why ain't they takin' advantage? Is there somethin' the matter with the way ya work. Can't they trust ya with the cloud stock?”

That was an attack. She couldn't deny that the old mare was attacking her! “H-hey, what does that mean? Cloud stock? What about the cloud stock? I'm an honest weather pegasus, and I do a good job!”

“Calm yerself missy, ah'm jes askin' questions.”

“No! This is getting... it's... I'm outta here!” With that Dash launched herself into the air, trailing rainbows and the sound of grinding teeth.

“Dash! What's the matter? Dash!” AJ called up at the rainbow trail, a look of concern in her eyes. “Granny what... what happened?”

“Ah ain't got a clue. Ah was jes askin' some questions 'bout her job and house and suddenly she was up and off. Are ya sure she's the kinda mare that ya want hangin' 'round these parts?”

She suspected. She suspected just what class of questions had been asked. It wasn't hard to guess when Granny Smith was concerned. But she kept her mouth shut. She just watched her marefriend fly off. She needed some time to cool down.

Rainbow Dash was doing her usual to resolve the churning emotions. Pouring ale down her throat. It seemed like a three bottle night. Until she realized the third bottle didn't make her forget that she had been all but called a thief and a failure. The seventh bottle took care of that, with the added side effect of making her disgorge all the food she had packed down her gullet and sending her off to sleep with her face still in the toilet.

That was where she woke up, head screaming, mouth made of cotton, a truly awful taste on her tongue and her body stiff from her awkward sleeping posture. As the painful light poured over her muddled mind, one thought managed to break upon her. She was out of ale. She had stopped because she ran through a week's supply.

With sunglasses covering her bloodshot eyes and a hooded jacket keeping her mostly covered, she flew down to the local shop. She knew just what she wanted and needed. She was in the section with alcohol, getting the cheap, potent ale. There was another pony there, getting the bottles of harder liquor, but she ignored the other presence. There was no reason to take note. She just took the purchases up, showed identification and paid, perhaps a bit too loudly for her comfort.

She was almost clear as she left the shop, saddlebags clanking slightly with her motions, when she heard the last thing in the world she wanted to hear. “Sugarcube! Hey sugarcube!”

“No...” The word dribbled slowly from her dry mouth, tongue feeling thick and stuck against every surface. She was in no mood to meet the exuberance of the country mare, especially since there was likely to be a lot of...

“Ah'm so sorry. Ah know Granny Smith can be a hooffull. She's jes got her ways about her. She don't mean no harm by it. She's jes worried about her kinfolk. Ya unnerstand, dontcha Dash? Ya gotta unnerstand. She don't mean nothin' by any of that.”

“It's fine...” She said with a dismissive sigh backing her words. She spread out her wings and flexed them a little. Still good enough to take her up and out, though not as fast as usual.

“No it ain't fine, Dash. She had no right ta ask that...” AJ began.

“I said it's fine.” There was more anger than intended in the curt cut-off, but the ache in her head screamed with a vengeance, and all the sunlight and contrition were not doing her any favors.

“W-what's the matter? Did Granny really upset ya that much?” AJ leaned in to look at Dash closely, almost moving aside the glasses.

“Drop it! Just let me get home! You're such a pain, AJ!” With that Dash mustered all he strength and zipped off towards her house, leaving a crooked trail of rainbow in her wake.

“Sugarcube?” AJ watched the retreating trail with a quiver running through the pit of her stomach. From the uncertainty and for the odor of Dash's breath. That said a lot of bad things. She turned away and noticed another figure coming out of the shop. “Mornin' missus Punch! Y'all gonna be by the farm for some more cider? Ah knows ya love it an' Granny is always so happy when ya come by.”

Berry Punch stood, stunned, for a moment, her saddlebags clanking faintly as she processed the call. “What? Cider? What? Oh! Right, yes... tell your Granny that I should be by sometime soon for some cider... she really does make the best.”

AJ salvaged some of the day by puffing up with pride and giving a nod. “That she does. Ah'll be sure ta tell her y'all'll be by fer some more. Good day to ya, ma'am.” With a nod AJ trotted off for the Farm.

- - -

The relationship stalled. Dash did her job, but seldom slept in the orchard trees anymore; AJ worked hard all day and often attempted to call on Dash, once even getting Twilight to give her a cloudwalking enchantment so she could call on her directly. But Dash was still Dash, and dutifully showed up for free food and games. She was just far more brusque and far less chatty. It once prompted Applebloom to note that Zecora would probably be more fun company. A threat with an apple switch got her silent on the subject.

One evening, after a dinner of fumbling and grumbled conversation, AJ very seriously confronted Dash on the front porch. “Jes what is the matter with you? Ya ain't actin' like yerself. It's a mite suspicious. If ya don't like mah family then why are a here? Ya sure ain't here fer me.”

“What are you talking about? I'm just... AH! I can't keep doing dumb stuff like this.” Dash kept her head turned away, a hot snort coming from her. “Of course I care. I wouldn't put up with this dumb stuff unless I cared about you.”

“Well that 'dumb stuff' is a family way. It's a part-a me, deep down. Yea, ah thinks it's silly an' don't unnerstand it most times but it's me, Dash. It's all me. Hey! Look me in th' eye and show me ya mean what yer sayin'!” AJ reached out and forcibly turned Dash's face towards hers. “Lately seems ya ain't so carin'. Tell me why!”

“Let it go AJ. I care, I care! Just let me... let go! You're hurting me!” Dash struggled away as AJ's grip faltered. She would have preferred it was because of her words. But she knew what it really was.

“Sugarcube... ya... ya been... right before a dinner? What would possess ya ta get all liquored up before ya came on by? Was that why ya flew off weeks ago? That why ya been avoidin' me? Tell me what's wrong, Dash!”

“It's nothing! Nothing! I'm a grown pony and I'm allowed..! Just leave it alone, AJ! Leave me alone!” Dash ripped from the scene with tears in her eyes, sparing herself the sight of AJ, disbelieving, fighting back her own tears. She went back to her cloud house, broke a few bottles of booze, punched her cloud pillows until they rained and went to sleep crying and confused.

AJ was honest and true, as ever. Even if she never promised, she did as she was told. She stayed away from Dash when there was no reason to be with her. She said they were having a rough patch, and had taken a break, like the big city ponies did. It wasn't a lie; she had seen the magazines saying things like that. But she couldn't be sure they were taking a break. She couldn't be sure of anything. All she knew was that to respect and honor the mare she loved she had to break away from her completely.

Dash barely happened to notice that AJ had been keeping away from her except for group activities. She was too focused on another matter. She was focused on the time she had spent thinking that the end of the day needed a tall bottle of ale. Stress or no stress, nostalgia or no nostalgia, Gilda or no Gilda, nothing ever needed the application of a bottle of alcohol. That was as good as running away.

That was what came to mind when she thought back to her seven bottle night and the repeat of her old days. She had been running away from responsibilities and maturity. Then she had been running away from the sting of breaking up with Gilda. And even running away from all attempts at intimacy, because they were nothing but pain and temporary affection. She wasn't what she pretended. She had wanted it to work with Gilda. She had wanted something Gilda just couldn't give to her.

She still wanted it. But as she had back when the romancing of Applejack had started, she questioned if she even deserved it. She may have been right all along, at least as far as images went. Drinking, groping, club mares. That was what an awkward, uncouth and irresponsible mare deserved. Especially one that just ran away from everything with emotional barbs and booze.

“No!” All the contemplation and consideration finally brought her to a sudden realization, one which made her slam her hooves into her couch and send off puffs of material. “I'm Rainbow Dash! Best young flier in Equestria, performer of the Sonic Rainboom and Element of Harmony! I'm cool, awesome, radical and way too amazing to just run away from anything. Especially the other awesomest mare in Equestria.”

The strong resolve collapsed a moment later when she remembered what a raging nag she had been to Applejack. Partly in the bag, gruff, coarse and generally unworthy. She had pushed her away and, on reflection, done so with enough force to make it stick. They did group activities well enough but didn't hang around like they had before. No competitions, no bickering over tree sleeping, no quiet moments of snuggling in the late evening, not even any scripted and silly dinners.

She had to chuckle over that. Showing up at the door, freshly washed, not too made up, sometimes wearing something nice like a vest or a coat or that sweater she had. And it was usually Applebloom that met her there, always disappointed that it wasn't Zecora, like a filly waiting for a date. If it wasn't her it was Big Mac, looking so stoic but slightly amused. He got to watch her struggle and flounder while he kept his mouth shut. A free show that was probably as good as anything on television. Then the dinner, taking cues from AJ, always aware that there were tests to pass. Like school, but actually important.

She took her cues from AJ... like a dance. Even though they couldn't bring themselves to dance together at that Gala they had, in their own weird, special way, managed to be together in a meaningful way. Competition or not, she had been dancing to AJ's tune. At Twilight's party, at the Gala, at dinner, she followed while AJ led, a desperate attempt to prove she was worthy. She wanted what AJ had. Not her land and notoriety, but that stable, sweet, pure honesty and earnestness that was everything that Gilda had never been mature enough to provide.

If she was even a little bit worthy she wouldn't be there in her house feeling sorry for herself. That got her up off of her flank and sent her out the door. She zoomed through the sky with a will, charging straight for the apple orchard. It was approaching evening but AJ never did anything halfway. She'd still be out there finishing her work.

Dash located her in one of the more secluded portions of the acreage, drawn by the motion of trees and the unmistakable feminine grunt of her working her mighty heart out. She was down, bucking apples and filling a large cart with the bushel baskets. Judging by the number of empty baskets she was almost done. Dash hit the ground with a skid, toppling one of the full baskets and spilling apples all over. “What the hay..? Dash? Jes what do ya think yer doin'?”

Realizing that making her job harder would be counterproductive, Dash gathered up the fallen apples. :”Sorry, AJ. I just... I mean, I had to come down and find you. I was kind of in a hurry.”

“Ah can see that. Jes what put such a bee in yer bonnet that ya come down here, crashing inta mah things and spilling mah apples all over?” AJ gave a stern glare and crossed a leg over her chest, setting the hoof under the other leg.

“S-sorry... but, I picked them up! Okay, not the point. Listen AJ... I just... I needed to say... you know. Sorry.”

AJ said nothing for a moment, face stony and unreadable. “'Sorry'? Ya got anythin' more'n that? 'Sorry' don't tell me nothin', Dash. What're ya sorry 'bout? An' why should ah take yer 'sorry'?”

It seemed like too much, like AJ was spoiling for a fight. They sure could do that. They put a lot of passion into it. Passion... she deserved a real answer. She was asking because passion, filtered right, was love. “I'm sorry I came over a little drunk when you had a dinner for me. I'm sorry I yelled at you on the porch. I'm sorry I've been a raging nag. But really... I'm sorry I never said anything when I was supposed to. I love you AJ... I really love you. But I haven't ever done anything to make you realize it. Maybe you shouldn't take my 'sorry.' Unless you think I deserve it.”

“Sugarcube...” AJ strolled forward and slowly ran a hoof along Dash's cheek. “Y'all done plenty ta tell me ya love me. It's why ah held out so long when ah weren't so sure. Why ah kept on thinkin' it even when that critter told me ta give up. Ah knew, deep down... jes tell me why ya were boozin' before dinner. Jes tell me an' ah'll ferget it all.”

“No... don't forget it. I need you to tell me I was an idiot. For a while I was ending my day with some ale and a frustrated groan. I couldn't take your family. And I was... running away. Running away into how it used to be. The Fooler clubs and getting completely sloshed. It was just a little. But it felt good. Took my mind away from... from...”

“What is it? What did ya wanna get outta yer head so bad? Come on Dash... trust me. We can work it out...”

“I'm not good enough for you...” Dash let it fall flatly from her lips, head and wings drooping. “The night Granny Smith asked me about my house and my job, when she made me sound like a loser... I believed it. I poured a week's worth of the stuff into my stomach to forget and just let it all back up again. I did it because it was how I used to get by. If I was running away from responsibility or reality, I just drank it away. I got past it, but it worked before. I thought it would work again.”

AJ said nothing for a while, just stroked Dash's cheek over and over. Suddenly, she came in for a kiss, pressing her lips firmly up against Dash's. The pegasus struggled for a moment, eyes wide in shock. But seeing the look on AJ's face, the calm, closed-eyed certainty and gentleness, she let herself melt into the contact, and brought her own hoof up, to stroke along AJ's neck. After the kiss broke, AJ pulled her head back a bit, but did not move her hoof an inch. “Is that all? Dash... how can ya think ya ain't good enough fer me? Yer... more'n ah deserve...”

“Hey, hey! No way! No! Way!” Dash suddenly shot a look to AJ and gave her a shake. “That's totally wrong! All this time I've known for a fact that I was wrong for you. Never mind that I'm a Cloudsdale nopony that loafs around all the time. I used to do nothing but hang around the Fooler clubs and get drunk, feeling up mares and making out before I ended my night with my head in the toilet. All because Gilda showed me I was good at it. I wanted more and I ignored it. I was just too bucking weak...”

AJ drew Dash into a crushing hug, like the one she had received so long ago on the ride to the Gala. The difference was she didn't allow any awkward overcompensating into the action. She squeezed Dash tightly because it was she genuinely wanted to do. “Ah was weak, Dash. Ah been turnin' a blind eye to mah family, thinkin' we's so dang good an' noble. But we ain't. Ah ain't no pony ta look up ta, Dash. Jes an ugly lil apple, shine's gone off the skin an' ah ain't in no purty shape nohow. Too dull fer an eatin' apple, too misshaped fer a bakin' apple. Best ya can do is throw me in a mixer, hide all mah bad spots and make applesauce.”

“I like applesauce...” Dash said, in an amused whisper. “But your bad spots... they wouldn't be there if it wasn't for me. Teaching you how to shirk and loaf and laze under the trees. I made you less upright and rigid. I made you less you. And I don't mean to! I fell for you the way you were. I didn't do it so I could change you into something else. If there's anything off on you, it was because of me.”

“Dash...” AJ leaned in to press a kiss on the pegasus' lips. Then gave her a swift thump on the back of the head. “Get over yerself. Ah'm perfectly capable of makin' mah own bad habits. Yea, ya taught me 'bout loafin' an' loungin' about but ah'm the one that decided ah deserved ta loaf an' lounge. It's mah fault if ah ain't so pure, if ah ain't the mare ya thought ah was. Nopony's the pony other folk think they are. Ain't none of us that's really how we look. Think ya can handle that ah'm not yer perfect country mare?”

Dash chuckled lightly and nosed in under AJ's chin, kissing along her throat. “If you can handle me being... me. I mean, minus the booze. I'm done with that. If you can handle this much awesomeness and coolness, all this radical...”

“Dash...” The farmpony stared pointedly at the pegasus, now used to this aspect of her marefriend's personality.

“Right. If you can stand me being... me.” Dash chuckled and rent back to kissing AJ for a moment before she merely settled into a warm hug.

The hug was savored for a time, before AJ slowly directed Dash against the tree she had been harvesting. A hoof trailed slowly along Dash's side, up and along her shoulder, and back along the fluffy pinions of one wing, rubbing and stroking the sensitive, quivering feathers. “We ain't so diff'rent, Dash. We ain't perfect. But we's perfect together.” then the other hoof came up. Rather than going to the other wing it traced down to slowly and loving cup one slim and muscular flank.

The wing massage had been so distracting Dash had barely registered the other hoof, until it was lovingly caressing the firm, sensitive flesh of her hind end. “A-AJ? What are you doing? We're in the orchard! And... I thought you country ponies didn't do this kinda thing!”

The hoof continued to move, stroking, cupping and squeezing the tight, toned spot, while the other went on with the massage, caressing and fluffing each feather as the wing stayed spread. “Don't ya believe it, sugarcube. We's jes as active as you city ponies. We jes hide It better. Ah ain't sayin' ah've ever done... that. But ah'm sayin'... yer mah mare, we're all alone an' ah want ya ta show me how. Teach this farm pony yer city tricks, then ah'll show ya what ah can do...”

The two dissolved into one another, hooves searching out the spots on each body that would create a shiver or a shake. They remained, long after the sun had fallen low over the horizon and the moon come up into the sky. They shared their bodies with each other shamelessly, and soothed every uncertainty with love. Nothing disturbed them all the hours they remained out there, exploring and savoring. They fell asleep out there, a sweaty, tousled, intertwined mess. Nopony would find them, nor see any part of them until AJ wandered in for a shower. With Dash.

- - -

Time flowed along like the river it was, bringing with it more relaxed and enjoyable dinners and garden parties. Granny Smith stopped asking embarrassing questions and concentrated on fussing over Dash, making sure she was constantly kept happy. She was always dropping hints about a formal engagement. Courtship was fine, but it had been going on for a long while. She never said anything about lovemaking or anything similar, but there was always some hint that she knew.

One particularly ordinary afternoon Dash checked her mailbox and found a very unexpected letter. She didn't recognize the name of the town from which it was posted or the name above the return address. Brigandine Jasper Saltingslide. Something about it seemed familiar, though. Something about the script nagged at her brain. She opened the envelope and found a substantial missive. The introduction hammered home the identity of the mystery figure in a flash. It is always a pleasure to receive a letter from my niece, even if it was written for somepony else. It always means I’m somewhere with decent food and a soft bed available for myself, even if I have to occasionally stop and remember which name I’m using.

It was from AJ's uncle. The one they couldn't talk to, but with whom she traded letters. He was writing to tell his story, something she had never heard all the way through. It was all down in the letter, a very conversational message which contained numerous asides. All the ones encouraging her to get closer to AJ made her blush. He knew. AJ had never said a thing but he still knew. But that’s nothing to do with Applejack. She’s as good of a pony as you’ll find. Kind, sweet, pure as the fallen snow. She’s everything you could want in a wife, when the time comes. Ah, well… not so pure anymore, am I right? Don’t be ashamed. We country folk know from getting a little… romantic with pony folk before the ceremony.

It was an informative letter. It made her do a lot of thinking. But more than that, it made her realize that she was still running away. There was one last thing to do if she wanted to have everything Gilda had never given her. Even though she knew she should wait, or think it through, that wasn't really her strong suit. She left the letter on the table and rushed off to the Apple family orchard.

Applejack was down there, working her heart out, as ever. In a state like that it was hard to get her to stop. So Dash took the direct route and crashed into her. “What the hay?! Dash? What are ya doin'? Ah told ya we'd... 'get ta our fun' when ah was done fer the day.”

“This can't wait. I just got a letter from your uncle...”

“Ssssssshh! Not so loud...” AJ firmly closed Dash's mouth and looked conspiratorially around the orchard. “If Granny was ta hear ya...”

“Chillax, AJ. Nopony's around. I checked. And this isn't about him. It's about what I realized after reading that letter.”

“Oh yea? And jes what was that?”

After disentangling herself from AJ Dash went down to her knees and smiled a little self-consciously. “I'm... just completely lost. I didn't even bring a ring or anything but I wanted to...

“Wait... are ya tryin' ta... right here? Dash! This family has a tradition an' rituals fer that sorta thing. Ya gotta ask Granny and...” AJ's rant was cut off by Dash's lips, the kiss turned from a one-sided gesture into a shared experience, with additional stroking and squeezing.

“I know...” Dash whispered, rubbing her snout under AJ's chin. “I know. There's probably a ritual dinner, and a ritual question, and she's gotta say 'no' once, and then I've probably gotta go out and do some weird apple ritual...”

“Sugarcube, ah can't seem ta tell when yer bein' serious, when yer bein' funny and when yer bein' mean...” AJ pulled back and deadpanned at Dash for a moment before breaking out in a smile. “But ah look forward ta tryin' ta figger it out... so... even if it ain't official, an' even if we's gotta wait fer the whole thing ta get done right... yes. Yes, ah'll do it. Ah'll be yer bride...”

Comments ( 30 )

Let me guess; the category about how they live in the relationship?

To tired to read now, but i AM going to read it tomorrow :rainbowdetermined2:

I'm not really one who's much for giving constructive crit, all I can say is adorable story and good job. <3 Appledash ftw! :D

1832098

Certain people like to downvote bomb any AppleDash stories. Its a sad thing but the less time one spends on the front page the better the rating will likely be.

i.imgur.com/xmRQV.png i.imgur.com/Uvt7B.png

1831989

I hope you enjoy it. I powered through it with more vigor than any recent stories. I'm in it to win it! :rainbowdetermined2:

:twilightsmile:

1832098

My thanks. And thank you for diluting the effects of the vote-bots.

1832239

Sad indeed. i worked hard on this thing! I appreciate kind folks like you being decent and reasonable.

Why does this story have so many dislikes? the grammar was good the story was unique i assume its for the contest about who can make the best unique appledash shipfic right? other then that the story was perfect why so much hate?:raritycry:

I'll be reading this when I wake up, but boyo, if there are any mistakes for me to document, well, you know how much I love long stories for edits. :ajbemused: Nice work on getting it out quick though.

1832482
The internet is full of bored assholes.

1832269 Fairly well done story ^.^ I noticed a few spelling mistakes, and missing words. ALTHOUGH I don't like to think of Rainbow in that way, other than that it was great. You put the story together in a way I could follow easily, and you put a little of a wait inbetween the different parts that kept me reading. Some people dislike stories cause they are idiots and are bored, but also sometimes because of grammer. No idea why but they do. If you go through you can see the grammer mistakes easily.

The opening scene setter was awkward. It needs some italics and a break at very least.

What that really a thing? Was.

ignored; but Either a comma or no punctuation.

Now that do we do? What.

quickly, no without. Not

Needs a break between end of gala and letter part.

rubbing barrels Wouldn't it be withers as you rub shoulders?

good evenin' miss Dash Good and Miss.

chuckled and rent back. went

together." then Then

With something long like this, you really should split into chapters along the natural breaks, just make it easier to digest. I know you wrote it in one shot, but it can still have chapters.

Applejack's dialogue gets really hillbilly grammar-y, pull back on that. They are Southern, not mush mouth swamp dwellers. For an egregiousness example: gubbmint. No no no no no. :facehoof: It'd take forever to mark everything wrong with their speech, but I'd suggest reading it out loud after writing it. I think you'd find out quickly how ridiculously slurred it is.

Overall, not bad, but I still much prefer your more original concepts, as you can more easily mold the voice how you wish. Plus, honestly, this story didn't add all that much that could not have been gleaned from your other stories.

1847036

I actually didn't throw in chapters because I know for a fact I would never have finished. I would have said, "Oh, chapter. I can stop my momentum. And that is fatal for me.

Oh boy. Fixes. You cannot imagine how much I love fixes. Ah, no trouble this week. I get TWO days on the itnernet. It's like a gift.

I love to giveGranny the much more mushmouthed dialogue. AJ gets it because it actually feels more natural for me to do it. We could agree to disagree but I think you might actually think you are right. Cursed "death of the author" thing.

1847036

Something I forgot in the prior comment: I rather contend that this DOES add something. Specificity. Richness. A more complete understanding of who Rainbow Dash and Applejack are. There were implications of Dash's boozing and mare-grabbing, and AJ's lack of compliance with family rules are known. But they were never explored.

Remember: The way I approach my stories is to write within a world, to show the varied richness and breadth of the world. It's like a tour of Equestria, with encyclopedic and bigraphical asides.

1853345

I'll give you Rainbow's past, but we've already seen those aspects of AJ in previous bits.

As for the accent, as I live in the South, and have friends I speak to regularly in other parts of the South, including one from the backwoods and swamps of Louisiana, I know my accents. Applejack has always been more Texan, and when you go into the accent too hard, it just gets weird. Granny can get away with more, being older, but some points just get into Jeremiah was a Bullfrog territory. I neglected to mention it earlier, but the proper way to say government here would be gov'ment, not gubbmint.

1856212
I have to agree with you, but to me she has more of an Appalachian accent, instead of a Southern one. If you listen closely to a person from Texas you can hear that they take away letters from words, while a Southern accent would usually add letters. Texan accent sounds like an Appalachian accent. Mostly because most people who moved to Texas originally came from the Appalachian region. So more or less an Appalachian accent and a Texan accent are almost identical. :eeyup:
Sometimes I think that I bore people.

1859590

I was using Southern as a base accent, as to me, all the other dialects branch off from there.

1872051

Thank you! I'm glad you liked it.

I... loved the story, but the Apple Family's accent sounded like TOO MUCH, leaving the country-way of talking, and bordering having a talking disability. I'm sorry but I'm very picky with that kind of stuff, so this is what stopped me from giving you a thumb up. Sorry

1940676

At least you're honest. I admit, it's sort of come back to bite me. If I can't indicate AJ and the rest are speaking in a specific manner then they seem dull and bland and lack any of their charm. Plus I need to maintain concordance with earlier stories.

Did you find the story itself, leaving aside the accent, engaging and itneresting?

1976158

As I said, I loved the story per se, but the accent maked it harder to enjoy. You see, I don't say you should NOT use an accent, I've seen many authors write that way and yeah, it sounds... boring and lacking something. but if you see... lets say my stories, I write an accent for the Apple family members, but only for some words, and just some little changes, that way, it looks 'different' yet not unintelligible.

1977256

I get you, I get you. Well, glad you enjoyed the story overall.

Hey, sorry it took so long to get back to you. Work, and working on my own fic (even since before the contest) ate up most fo my time, and I've practically commented on none of the fics that were entered. Sorry about that.

In regards to the fic, it's a bit hard to get through. I'm not sure I can put my finger on it. If anything, I'd say it feels a bit over-convoluted. The Apple rituals feel overly complex and a bit ridiculous, but that was the point, to get Dash to deal with it. Which she... kinda did. She got through with it, with the help of booze.

That's the issue I see here though. The fic focuses mainly around Dash, and how (poorly) she deals with what Granny tosses at her. It feels more like a conflict between the Apple family (and Apple Bloom's antagonism is barely explained) and Dash, than it is about an AppleDash relationship. When we get to the end, where Dash and AJ have a real heart to heart, we get to see glimpses of the relationship. Up until then, AJ felt very, very passive.

In essence, a bit too much focus on Dash, vs AppleDash.

I am not in any way saying this is a bad fic. Writing quality is good (though maybe a wee bit strong on the accent as others have said, but that's a minor issue), the story is intriguing, the characterization is good, for the backstory you've created... It just felt like it missed the point of the contest ever so slightly. It certainly fit as an entry, but stood out more, hence their mentions.

Again, sorry for getting back to you so late! I'm still definitely faving/thumbing up this story, and would love to see more AppleDash from you if you feel like writing more :twilightsmile:

2112318

I do suppose I should have explained better. I don't know if you will ever see this (I know about life getting in the way, I have one day a week to get on here, as my phone care barely manage it) but I feel O owe everyone, especially you, an explanation that would have taken up too much story space.

First of all... AJ being passive is... sadly that's show-accurate. AJ episodes are often about her not being there, or being a vehicle for others. So I thought capturing the show's spirit might help.

The Apple rituals: As said in other stories and implied here, Granny Smith and her fmaily USED to be very rich. They were the quintessential Faulknerian Southern Gothic family, cleaned up and Equestria-fied. As well, it has always seemed that "quaint" and "proper" families, especially conservative Southern/rural families have all these unspoken rules and rituals to keep outsiders on their toes and provide order and imposed-manners on the family. Combine money, the fear of folks coming in to try and take that money, and a conservative-esque rural codfish aristocracy and you get this.

Applebloom: It's simple, really. She always wants the the door to be for her. She's a little filly. It's like that time Calvin flipped through all the mail in the mailbox, saw nothing was for him, then went into the house, empty-handed, and said "Mail's here." As well, she really, really likes being with Zecora. This is before Granny Smith started putting on the pressure for Zecora to "put a ring on it" so she can hit her with a "zap-zap, no takebacks" should that ever happen.

I can see what you are saying, it does have a feel like a "Dash" story. I did my best, with AJ's self-loathing and critical judgement of her obedience and orderliness. But I guess that was not enough. Thank you for the honest statement. It was quite informative. I now see that it wasn't a bad story. It just had the wrong focus. :twilightblush:

2122195
I admit I haven't read any of your other stories either - so some details that you've mentioned existing is something I did not see. It's context to the apple family that we didn't have in here, at least. Maybe more detail would have cushioned their oddity XD

I do see your point about AJ, which admittedly happens often enough. It's just that it felt more like Dash vs Granny, than AJ + Dash. AJ reacted, but.. until the end, not really enough. Some tweaks to expand her role in the fic some would help a lot, I'd say :)

Glad I didn't come off as too brusque! >_>

2122221

Oh not at all! You were quite wonderfully pleasant! :raritystarry:

I feel that I should leave this story as it is, but let me explain. I realize that it did not quite meet the expectation of the contest for which it was written, but in a strange way it meets the requirements that I have for a world-building story in this universe I have knocked up. It fills in some Ponyville-centered gaps between some other stories, most particularly between the end of "Elements of Discord" and "The Unfavorite" and then "The Unfavorite" and "The Bad Apple Chronicles" part one which is, actually, very close to part five. Yes, I am a dork and everything is interconnected. :twilightblush:

Excellent story! A near two hour read, but still an excellent story. I look forward to reading more stories from you and I wish you well in your future writings.

2232530

Thank you! It's good to know my efforts are appreciated.

Two hours? I had almost forgotten just how long it is :derpyderp1:

This was a great story. I kind of wish there was a MLP version AA or Al-Anon instead of just a detox.

9145989
They have groups for that. Berry Punch is in one. But you have to go to them. Berry's fully committed to it, but Dash never seemed the type.

9146752
I think I had a great uncle who was that way. He sobered up and quit drinking when he married his second wife. She had been married to an alcoholic and told him if he ever got drunk, she'd leave him. Well, she went out of town for a week and he fell off the wagon. My grandparents had to sober him up quick and the whole town had to keep his secret. He never drank again.

Login or register to comment