• Published 2nd Dec 2012
  • 2,741 Views, 26 Comments

MLP: Equestria - Draconis187



While trying to escape a grim death in space, a human with strange capabilities gets flung into Equestria.

  • ...
10
 26
 2,741

Part 9: Friendship is Eternal

MLP: Equestria
Friendship is Eternal
Author: Draconis 187

(Michael’s POV)

“Discord, what have you done?!” I shouted as the God of Chaos and Disharmony laughed at the shocked expression on my face.

“Why isn't it obvious? We are going to play a game of hide and seek like I said. I have hidden the Crystal Heart somewhere in the Crystal Empire, find it and you’ve won but should you lose…” Chrysalis smiled as Discord pointed up at the sky above the Empire. An army of Changelings, numbers too vast for me to take on alone and survive. “And the Changelings will have a new city to call home. This is what I meant by a part of Equestria will vanish.”

Ok, now this is very, very bad news for me. If I fail here, the Crystal Empire falls. So I guess there’s no pressure then? Discord rubbed his chin with the white tuft on the tip of his red tail as if it were a hand, lost in thought.

“Oh I almost forgot: you can not have any help from the ponies here, can not change your form in any way and oh, yes…” He chuckled. “You have four hours to search the entire Empire for the Heart. Ta-ta!”

He vanished, leaving me to figure out where to start first. Well since I am under the Crystal Castle, I may as well search it first. I ran up the steps of one of the entrances, searching frantically for anything that could resemble the Heart.

(Nightmare’s POV)

Ugh, this train ride is taking too damned long! How can any of us help Michael when we can’t get there fast enough to be of any use? Pinkie was trying to pass the time by playing: ‘I spy.’ I wasn’t in the mood and the group played without me. I still thought bringing an injured Rarity with us was a bad idea but I guess a change of scenery would be ok for her.

“Pinkie, what are you doing now?” I asked.

“Counting all the snowflakes silly!” the pink mare replied.

I looked out the window and watched as the scenery began to change from a lush green to the pure white of the snow that was covering the land as we passed by. The scene was comforting but it was beginning to make me uneasy.

“Calm before the storm.” I said softly to myself.

“What storm?” Pinkie asked. She had just appeared right next to me! “I don’t see any storm clouds.”

“Ah! Pinkie please for the love of Celestia, don’t do that!” I shouted.

“Oki doki loki!” She replied as she hopped off down the carriage to get food, which in her case was a large variety of sweets.

We all gave a small chuckle as I continued to gaze outwards, towards the spire that was the top of the Crystal Empire’s castle. I noticed there was a dark cloud above it, but it seemed to be moving. As the train edged its way towards the Crystal Empire I noticed that the ‘cloud’ was made up of something, something with bug wings.

“Uh, ladies. I think the Empire is in trouble.” I said with a slight tremble in my voice.

(Michael’s POV)

“So it wasn’t in the castle.” I muttered to myself. “I swear I am going to kill Discord.”

“Ha, now that’s a laugh!” Discord’s voice calls out from high above me.

If I could change into REX I could use the radomes to search for any form of energy that the Heart could be emitting or any disturbances in any spectrum but thanks to Discord’s rules, I couldn’t for fear of forfeiting and most likely fighting the horde of Changelings above me.

This wasn’t an option if I wanted the Crystal Empire to remain in pony hooves. The Changelings still just hovered above the city, waiting for me to fail I guess. Maybe they were waiting for my time to run out, in which case it was and – to my dismay – at an alarming rate.

I ran off to the Crystal Empire Library to continue my search there. As I searched through the Library I was hit with a sudden realisation, something I should have noticed much earlier: there was nopony around on my way here. Thinking back I couldn’t recall there being any guards in the castle either. This was odd and it was also making me uneasy since there were at least guards when I arrived here.

I searched the entire library in vain. The wall to wall bookshelves only served to waste time if anything. Then there was the fact that I had the rest of the city to search. I left the library and looked around the desolate streets. How did I miss the fact that there was no living soul here other than myself and the Changelings above me? I shook my head and picked a street, proceeding to go door to door in search for the Heart.

(Nightmare’s POV)

The girls and I arrived at the Crystal Empire’s train station and exited. As I looked around I saw that the platform was completely deserted, I couldn’t see anypony other than myself and the other mares that just got off. Even the train was empty, we were the only passengers. Could it be that they were at the funeral? Could it be that they were in hiding due to the ‘cloud’ of Changelings above the city? Too many questions and not enough answers.

“Come on.” I said to the others who followed as we set for the Crystal Empire. We had little time to waste.

(Michael’s POV)

I ventured into the deserted streets and observed something else that was disconcerting: the stalls were fully stocked. I had walked into one of the city’s many markets and the stalls were fully stocked but there were not consumers or merchants.

I walked up to one of the houses that lined the district, wondering if they were inside or if it were locked. I knocked on the door but there was no response. I knocked again, this time slightly harder and still got no response.

“Hello? Is anypony home?” I asked as I tried to slowly open the door.

Still silence was all I got as the door seemed to be unlocked. It creaked as I let myself in. I was slightly scared since this was a very creepy situation. I found the table the ponies were eating at was fully set with knives and forks. There was even food on it and it had been partially eaten! That made me even more worried, the place didn’t look like there had been any form of struggle. What happened here?

As I walked up a crystal staircase I began to wonder: did they just up and leave once they found out about the Changelings? Did Discord make them vanish in a flash? As I searched through the house I still saw nothing that indicated in the slightest that a struggle had occurred. I walked into a room but something caught my eye and brought a few tears as well.

I had walked into a small nursery, kind of like the one for Pound Cake and Pumpkin Cake back at Sugarcube Corner. As I looked at the cot I saw that even the filly was gone but a plush toy was still there in the cot. The cot was still warm as well, whatever happened, it happened recently. Usually that would mean that was his/her favourite and wouldn’t dream of leaving it behind. This is only serving to make me feel worse by the second.

“Oh, Michael!” I hear from outside… it was Discord’s voice. His eyes then appeared on the plush toy and it jumped out of the cot. “You have two hours remaining, thought you may want to know.”

As soon as he finished saying that, the plush just slumped over. Picking it up I noticed it had returned to normal. Discord really knows how to be a pain in the rump. I continued to search the house for any clues as to the whereabouts of the Heart or the Crystal Ponies that were living here.

(Nightmare’s POV)

The six of us got off the train as fast as our hooves would allow. Now that we were just on the Crystal Empire’s outskirts we could confirm what it was that caught my eye earlier: a giant horde of Changelings encircling the skyline above the city.

As we entered the city we all noticed that the citizens were missing. It was as if they all upped and vanished without a second thought. I would have expected some overturned stalls, some indication of chaos and yet it was if they all spontaneously vanished off the face of Equestria. Walking through these eerie streets was unsettling and was making me nervous.

“What’s that?” I muttered as I spotted a figure in the distance… it looked like Michael! “Michael!”

I called out, trying to get his attention but to no avail. He seemed to be in quite a hurry, judging by the speed he was running. He isn’t as fast as a pony at full gallop but still, it was his usual preference to walk that worried me. He only runs in that fashion if there is something wrong, an aspect of his personality I learned a long time ago.

We ran off towards him as he entered another house. As we barrelled through the house I noticed it was completely empty. The house was fully and beautifully furnished and yet there were no tenants. This was unsettling, as bad as the nightmares I used to have during my exile. They were along the same lines: I would walk into Celestia’s room to find her gone. I would walk around the old castle and find no guard or staff anywhere. Ponyville didn’t exist at the time and neither did Canterlot for that matter since Nightmare Castle used to be the one Celestia and I ruled in, or at least before Luna gave in to me.

I shook my head to clear my thoughts: I had to find Michael and find out what is going on.

“Michael!” I shouted once more.

(Michael’s POV)

After yet another fruitless search, I ran into another building and hoped to Celestia that I would find something of importance or a clue. I just about burst through the door in my rashness but since it looked like the Crystal Ponies were nowhere to be found, I decided to forego subtly.

I hightailed up the stairs, looking for the Heart and hoping I could find it before the word ‘deadline’ meant something else. Again the house was devoid of occupants, this was a sad sight. To see nopony else and yet knowing that there should be ponies here only served to make it worse.

I looked through every cupboard and under every bed frantically. I couldn’t let Discord win like this, no I won't let Discord win like this. I had to think: where could a being that creates nothing but chaos hide the Crystal Heart? He wanted to win and made sure that no Crystal Ponies could help me but then why add that stipulation? Why say that nopony in the city is allowed to help me when there is nopony in the city other than Discord, Chrysalis, the huge army of Changelings and me?

I continued to search everywhere, hell I even looked inside the oven in the kitchen for Celestia’s sake! I sat down on one of the beds on the second floor of the house and tried to think. There had to be a way to figure out where Discord hid the Heart. I then heard something from below me but it sounded like somepony I knew… Nightmare?

I walked down the steps to see my friends. All six of them were looking around the bottom floor, presumably for me.

“Hi everypony, what are you all doing here?” I asked as I reached the bottom of the stairs.

Everypony was there: Rarity; Pinkie (her mane was back to normal which was a relief); Applejack; Rainbow Dash; Fluttershy and Nightmare Moon. It was nice to see somepony else here.

“We came to help of course dear.” Rarity replied. Do I see bandages around her forehooves? What was she doing?

“Michael, what happened here?” Nightmare asked.

“It’s Discord… he hid the Crystal Heart somewhere and I have probably around an hour left to find it. If I don’t then those Changelings above the city are going to take over the Crystal Empire.” I received several gasps in reply.

“Darn it! If only I had my things.” Nightmare said who was visibly angry at all this.

“Leave it to me and my party cannon!” Pinkie cried out as she stood next to her blue cannon with pink, floral patterned wheels that seemed to appear out of nowhere.

“How did you do that? Actually, I don’t think I want to know.” I said, knowing Pinkie it would probably be some big story that makes absolutely no sense to nopony other than her.

She fired off her cannon and the cannon fired an enormous amount of confetti, covering everyone as well as our vision in the multi-coloured pieces of paper. As I opened my eyes again I saw Nightmare out of her dress and wearing her armour with her blades at her side. I scratched my head, trying to figure out how Pinkie can switch Nightmare’s outfit with one that was a number of miles away from where we were via a shower of confetti from a cannon. I just decided that it was best to give up thinking about it.

“Okay, well it’s not here, I checked.” I deadpanned as I walked towards the door.

“Okay we’ll split up and search the entire city.” Nightmare said as she followed behind me.

We all left the building and ran up to the centre of the city, underneath the Crystal Castle.

“Ok, I’ve been down that street as well as that one over there and I searched the castle earlier on.” I said as I indicated which streets I was talking about.

“Okay, Rar and I will go down that a way.” Said Applejack, pointing to one of the streets.

“Ok then Fluttershy and I will go down that way.” Dash said, also pointing to a street.

“That leaves Pinkie, Nightmare and I to take that one down there.” I surmised.

So that was essentially it, we all had a street to search down and less than an hour to go but I can't complain. Discord didn’t count on my friends helping me and that is what is going to save us.

Pinkie and I went together into a house while Nightmare went into another one on the opposite side of the street. It was the reason the others split into pairs. We were three only because we were the only ones left and there was only one more street I never went down. The house was empty yet again, the crystal chandelier and décor only served to sadden the situation.

“Time’s up Michael!” A voice from outside rang out. No he doesn’t mean… “You lose!”

“No. Nonononononononono.” I said feverishly. I had to have had a few more minutes left, I was sure of it.

I exited the house to see the embodiment of Chaos standing there in the middle of the street, smiling as if he just won the lottery. I felt my heart plummet as Chrysalis stood next to him, wearing a huge grin like the cat that got the mouse.

“Weeell, it looks like you lose my dear Michael. You actually had about twenty minutes left but once you involved your friends, you forfeited your remaining allotted time.” Discord said as he snapped his claw. “Did you honestly think I wouldn’t notice six ponies enter a completely empty city?”

In the instant he snapped his claw the Changelings flew down, towards the deserted city. The others came barrelling through the streets, frantically trying to get back to us while we were making for the centre of the city. We all caught up by the Heart’s Pedestal, eyeing our surroundings as the Changelings were… hovering just beyond the archways?

“What are they waiting for?” I asked as Discord materialised out of the floor nearby with his usual grin.

“We are waiting for you to leave of course.” Chrysalis said as she stood just beyond the archway next to Discord.

“No, there is more to it than that… the barrier. They are just beyond the secondary barrier!” I shouted. “You never moved the Heart did you Discord?!”

“My aren't we perceptive? That’s correct my dear boy, I only concealed the Heart and then made it appear that the barrier vanished.” Discord chuckled. “But that no longer matters.” He snapped his claw and the Heart appeared in his other claw. “You played the game and lost.”

As he was holding the Heart, the secondary barrier lost its power. The Changelings charged through the city in droves, the buzzing was deafening. I pulled out my halberd and charged out, swinging at a few but unable to land a hit, they were moving too fast for my human reflexes. Around me I saw the citizens had reappeared if only to be taken by the Changelings. Around me ponies were being abducted left, right and centre. I looked on in horror at the scene before me as some Changeling Hulks came crashing down on some of the ponies, crushing their heads into powder and causing their blood to fly over the floor.

I changed into REX and charged at some of the Hulks. Using the hydraulics in my ‘toes’ (the spikes I use for traversing rough terrain) to impale and crush one while I unloaded my twin machineguns at the others. Blood and bullets flew threw the streets but in the end I wasn’t doing enough. All around me there were ponies being killed or taken. Nightmare tried to help out in another area with the others, I could see the odd flash of lightning from behind some of the buildings as well as the odd glimpse of either their coats or Cutie Marks.

I opened up my missile bay on my back and fired a salvo. It hit a number of Changelings that had decided to attack me but as the missiles got close… they exploded in a burst of different flowers. I turned around to see Discord sighing at me.

“And here I thought you were going to play fair. You lost and I thought such an upstanding Alicorn/Human/Monster whatever you are to honour your end of the deal. That is how the game is played.”

“Michael!” It was Nightmare and the girls. They ran up to me, looking absolutely drained. They aren't truly fighters despite the events that have occurred these past few weeks. “We don’t seem to be doing any form of damage! They just keep coming!”

I tried to weigh up my options: 1. I could honour my agreement with the Scion of Chaos and leave. 2. We could keep fighting and probably end up dead. 3. I could try to get my friends to leave and fight on by myself.

Now the problems with these options: 1. I couldn’t live with myself if I just gave up, it wasn’t me. 2. Our deaths would be pointless since we would hardly make a dent in their numbers without any backup. 3. I would also wind up dead and Nightmare wouldn’t leave me to fight on my own.

There was another option but I wonder… “Activate command Zeta, 345-6Beta. Authorisation: Hellfire 32.” I said aloud.

“Michael, what are you talking about?” Nightmare asked. The others looked confused while Discord and Chrysalis looked curious.

ERROR 324.’ My HUD replied.

“So it’s just a simple port error… reroute command through firewall 456 then through 175.” I replied to my HUD while I only confused my friends more.

CODE ACCEPTED. WARNING!! ACTIVATION OF OMEGA PROTOCOL IS NOT RECOMMENDED. DO YOU WISH TO CONTINUE?’ The HUD replied with red lettering instead of the usual green. It seemed to work, my last ace up my sleeve was actually still working.

Now then, every participant of the Hellfire Project was ‘fitted’ with a form of ‘kill switch’ should we ever become too great a danger to my old universe. Icarus was one of the only scientists on the project who knew of the activation codes. Each code for each subject was unique but could never be changed by the subject as it was set to activate on the slightest hint of tampering. After the Bleach Protocol was issued Icarus found me in a bar on a station in the Andromeda system. He told me of the Bleach Protocol being given the go ahead. As he was my closest friend, he changed the code for me and informed me of two things: 1. Only I could activate it because he added voice recognition as a prerequisite. 2. It had the capability to cause an explosion similar to a supernova but it was possible to modify how the explosion reacted, what direction it went when set off.

“Sorry Discord, but this game just went into overtime!” I declared as I turned my attention to the Draconequus and the Changeling Queen. They looked to each other for a second before they burst out laughing at my words.

“Guys, this is going to have to be it.” I said to my friends as I changed into Starlancer. They were – by now – truly confused. I walked up them and hugged each one in turn. “Pinkie, don’t you ever stop smiling. Pinkie Promise me that you will never let your mane go flat like that ever again, ok? Applejack, your family and the farm as well as your friends still need their honest, dependable friend. Don’t let me down by letting them down. Rarity, you have to see the same beauty in life that you see in your work. Make the world shine and sparkle. Dash, since when have you ever given up on life? You still have that fire in you, find it and let it burn. Fluttershy, don’t be sad. I don’t want to be sent to Tartarus if I make you cry and I'm sure you don’t want to see me there either.” I turned to Nightmare with a tear in my eye.

“Don’t even try to use some sad story about your past and mine being similar in order to make me let you go do something stupid. They are not similar and will never be.” She knew what I was about to try and do, sort of since she doesn’t know of the kill switch. I gave a very soft chuckle that ended up as a small choking cry.

“I-I would never dream of it Nightmare.” I replied as I hugged her tightly. “You were the best friend I could have ever asked for and now everypony knows it. Keep trying to prove others who still doubt your change of heart wrong. Show them there isn't a reason for them to fear the true Princess of the Night!”

“Wait Michael!” She shouted as I charged off.

I opened my wings and flew upwards towards the very centre of the swarm. As I got as high as the Crystal Castle’s balcony, I changed into Hades and fired up the afterburners. As I journeyed upwards, I fired everything I had at them: the four guns, every air-to-air missile I had. I needed to get to the very centre of their formation and bunch them up. I turned and used the turrets on the top and bottom of my fuselage to keep them from straying too far. I flew around them, edging closer to them whilst keeping up my assault. They began to act in the way I wanted them to after a few passes, soon they became too afraid to leave the ball they had made.

“What do you think you are doing?!” Chrysalis shouted angrily in my general direction. I chose to ignore her as I sped upwards, above the ball of Changelings. If I could sigh in this form, I would have. As I reached a high enough altitude, I shut off my engines and fell towards the Changelings.

“Ready the Omega Protocol. Route command Zeta, 345-6Beta through firewall 456 and then through firewall 176. Authorisation: Hellfire 32. Ready disc dispersion burst mode.” I said to my HUD which switched from green to yellow.

READYING OMEGA PROTOCOL. DO YOU WISH TO CONTINUE?’ was the message I was given by my HUD. I steeled myself at the horde of Changelings and the one word that was to be my reply.

“Yes.” I said as I entered the formation of clumped up Changelings.

INITIATING OMEGA RPOTOCOL 0-3-4-5-6-3.

I began to feel energy begin to concentrate itself within my body. It built up further as the Changelings tried to stop me. One tried to bite my wing and broke its fangs in doing so but I had not one single scratch on the area it attacked. I wasn’t surprised, with fangs versus metal the victor had already been decided before it even attempted. I felt the energy begin to reach critical mass. I got ready as this would be the end, one way or another.

READYING COUNTDOWN

“No. Initiate now. Forgive me, my friends.” I replied as I detonated.

(Nightmare’s POV)

“Wait, Michael!” I shouted as he charged off. “Let go of me Pinkie!”

Pinkie was holding onto my tail for dear life, stopping me from following Michael as he flew up into the air. How was she that strong? He quickly changed into that thing he used back at Manehattan and ascended even faster towards the Changelings. I could only watch as he circled the Changelings, firing on them from some strange points on his body. He wasn’t killing a lot of them but it was keeping them from moving a certain extent.

“Hmm, what is he up to?” Discord pondered as he watched Chrysalis flew up towards him. “What game is he playing at?”

In an instant there was an enormous flash of light that forced us all to avert our eyes. The earth rumbled as if there was an earthquake of considerable strength occurring beneath our hooves. We all stumbled about before eventually falling down while Discord just took out a pair of sunglasses and put them on as well as levitating just high enough off the ground to not be affected by the trembling earthquake. As we looked up the Changelings, including Queen Chrysalis… were gone. It was as if they completely vanished off the face off Equestria, just like the Crystal Ponies but only this time it wasn’t through Discord’s doing.

“Michael? Michael!” I shouted to the empty sky. A small box fell from the sky, smashing on the ground as it collided. Inside were the remains of Twilight’s Element: Magic. “He-he’s gone, isn't he?” I said solemnly to Pinkie who only gave me a sad smile.

“Yes.” She replied, not losing that smile of hers.

“Pinkie, why are you still smiling?” I asked, this was a tad odd as I would have expected her coat to dull and her mane to flatten like when Twilight died.

“Michael made me Pinkie Promise and I will never break a Pinkie Promise.” She said with an air of passion I hadn’t heard from her since Twilight died.

I just looked back towards the clear, empty blue sky. There was no trace of Michael or Chrysalis at all. Ponies were coming out of their hiding places and cheering happily for us, thinking we got rid of them all. I looked up and saw Michael was also gone, it made my heart sink.

“Nightmare, are you crying?” Pinkie asked. “Come on and smile. Michael wouldn’t want to see you crying.”

I was about to reply but I was stopped by the sound of Discord’s laughter. “’Michael wouldn’t want to see you crying’ oh that’s rich. Haha!”

“You wouldn’t understand what friends would do for each other Discord! We are always there to support each other through the good times and even more so in the bad!” Pinkie shouted. “That is why you are doomed to fail!”

“Oh dear me! I'm going to fail! What ever shall I do? Oh please, you don’t have the Elements with you to even try to stop me. You don’t even have the element of Magic to complete it.”

“Pinkie, I think it would be funny if your elements were to appear.” I whispered to Pinkie. She just turned to me with an enormous Pinkie Pie grin.

“Way ahead of you!” She said as she pulled out the cart she uses to greet new ponies to Ponyville.

The cart sprung open, leaping a few inches off the ground in the process. The confetti cannons of her fired off and the Elements flew up into the air. Dash flew up and threw them down to her friends and putting her own on. I looked at the former Element of magic but I noticed something inside the box, a message in Michael’s handwriting.

To my friend Nightmare
This tiara is the Element of Magic but the name is flawed and incomplete. As I searched through Twilight’s library I found several books that covered magic but also friendship as well. They noted that both were of equal importance. I believe you might realise where this is going: the sixth element is the Element of Magic, the magic of friendship. That is why Twilight was able to revive them that night; she discovered the power from her friends around her. Now it is time for you to do the same.
Good luck
Michael
P.S. I’m sure you're wondering how I wrote this, simple: I printed it out with Hades and placed inside the box before I detonated.

At the bottom was a small picture of his Starlancer form squeeing. I realised it made sense, Twilight was only able to defeat me by discovering the power of friendship, the bond she shared with the other five. Something I seemed to still be neglecting. Discord appeared behind me and snatched the note.

“How sappy! I'm sure even you wouldn’t believe such drivel!” He said mockingly as he burnt the note.

I turned to the mares behind me with a smile. “You all consider me a friend despite our history when we first encountered each other. I was still sceptical, thinking it was a ploy by Celestia to keep me under surveillance. I realise now that, I was wrong for ever thinking that. You are my friends, the ponies I would charge into Tartarus for without a second thought.”

In that moment there was a flash as Twilight’s tiara exploded in a bright light. Each of the shards and fragments shone a brilliant light as they flew towards me, accumulating above my horn. As the light faded, the tiara was repaired but it was far different from its original form. The star that adorned the top had been replaced by a waning moon while the tiara was coloured azure, identical to my ceremonial armour. The waning moon was coloured white as it began to shine brightly.

“What’s this?” Discord asked with a raised eyebrow.

The light shot out to the other five’s Elements, changing their gold necklaces from gold to the same azure colour. Afterwards all six began to shine in their respective colours. Taking the hint, the six of us stood next to one another and got ready. I had never used the elements, Luna did a few times but I never did so I was unsure of what to expect. I felt a strange feeling of warmth coming from myself and the others. I felt it begin to build in the tiara, looking for a way to escape, to be given a sense of direction. I aimed it at Discord who merely scoffed at us.

“Oh, please. You won't succeed.” He sneered.

“We shall see!” I replied as a rainbow coloured blast fired from the tiara towards Discord whose eyes shot open in fear.

“Nono, wait, wait!” He shouted as the blast collided with him.

Before everypony’s eyes, his body began to stiffen and change in texture. He was turning to stone once more. As the blast ended we all fell to our knees from the exertion but we were none worse for wear. I turned my attention to my friends who smiled happily at me. As I looked back at Discord I saw the Elements finally worked, he was turned back to stone. He had his lion claw in front of his face which he turned to the left and his griffon claw was outstretched, presumably trying to stop the blast. We all chuckled as we picked up the statue to take back to Canterlot.

“So, it’s finally over.” Rarity dully noted. I nodded my head as we placed the statue next to us.

“It would appear so everypony. Chrysalis is long gone as well as the Changelings and now Discord is a statue once more. I just wish we didn’t have to lose Michael as well.” A few moments as the train left the station was filled with silence as we remembered the one who helped us without any form or indication of a hidden agenda.

“Don’t worry darling, I’m sure wherever he is… he’s proud of you.” She replied.

I shook my head. “No, of us. I’m sure he’s proud of all of us. We have some explaining to do but we can face tomorrow with our heads up high.”

“Yeah, I’m sure we will. We will keep our promises to Michael. I know the Wonderbolts suffered huge losses but I’ll help them get back on their hooves!” Dash said with pride.

“I’ll make a new line of fashion for him. I’ll call it: ‘Silence of the Stars’. Your group’s call sign was known as ‘Silent Strike’ and his Alicorn form was Starlancer so I thought it would be a good idea to remember him by.”

“I’ll keep smiling, I did Pinkie Promise after all.” Pinkie smiled.

“Yes, you told me already Pinkie.” I chuckled.

I turned my attention back to the view outside my window and gave a deep sigh as I saw the Crystal Empire slowly vanish from view. I wonder what Celestia and Luna will say or better yet, what would Cadence and Shining Armor say when they hear our tale?

By the time the train pulled into the station it was already well into the night. On the platform we were met by Lyra, Bon Bon, Celestia and Luna. They all gave us inquisitive looks and gasped when we levitated Discord out of the train. They all walked up to the statue and examined it in silence.

“What happened?” Celestia asked.

I took a deep breath and told them everything: from Discord’s riddle in Nightmare Castle to Rarity attempting suicide, from the six of us boarding the train to searching through an empty Empire. Cadence and Shining were shocked at this news but I told them the citizens were all safe and sound now. We walked over to Sugarcube Corner as we handed the care of Discord’s stone form to some Solar Guards. As we entered, Pinkie charged off and made us all milkshakes since we didn’t really finish them the last time.

“Well, what now?” I asked Celestia as she sat down next to us.

She thought for a few moments before answering. “Well for now we finish Twilight’s funeral and we give Michael a proper send off, a tribute but the thing is: I don’t know what he would like.”

“He would want something simple, no over the top business.” I deadpanned. “Remember when he didn’t want us to use his title as prince? I would think he doesn’t want something extravagant, so maybe something just between all of his friends.”

Celestia gave a small sincere smile and nodded her head. “Yes, I believe we can arrange something to that effect.”

As we all finished our shakes and went home I walked up to the battlements of Nightmare Castle and looked to the clear night sky.

“Michael, if you are up there and you can hear me… thank you… for everything.” I said softly as a tear fell from my face and onto the stone floor below.

I will live on; I will show them that Michael’s death was not in vain. The old notion that I am evil shall be banished from my name. I am Nightmare Moon, the other half of the Princess of the Night and bearer of the Element of the Magic of Friendship. I will protect Equestria and my subjects until the day I die, that is a promise.

Author's Note:

And that's it! The end of my first ever story on FimFiction. I thank you all who took the time out of your days to read and support this by favouriting and rating up.

Comments ( 7 )

wow that was sad. :raritycry:

but it was also a good story. :pinkiehappy::pinkiehappy:

2224573 Thanks. In truth I wasn't going to have the sacrifices and the deaths of Twilight and Michael, they just came to be as I went along:derpytongue2:. Thanks for your kind words though.:pinkiehappy:

3339080 Not too sure about that but it's not the Dawnbreaker. It doesn't do what my version does. I need to go back over this fic and update it in terms of grammar and styling. Hope you enjoy it though.

4993497 No, Surprise is Pinkie before they settled on her being pink and an earth pony. Besides, the Surprise in Seeing the Pattern has a different cutie mark.

Hey I was wondering sequel yes or no?
Because I would enjoy a sequel very much like after the fact!
Be great if you did and very excellent story and I would have never thought it would end this way.:applecry:

5593012 I honestly never considered a sequel to this story since there is nothing I can really think of to carry it on. What part did you not expect though?

Login or register to comment