• Published 4th Nov 2012
  • 2,713 Views, 47 Comments

Changing Octaves - Twinkletail



Octavia has a reunion with her long-lost sister, but not under the circumstances she'd have liked.

  • ...
2
 47
 2,713

Epilogue

The Pie family rock farm was not accustomed to so much company. The farmhouse itself was a small building, barely big enough to properly suit the full family of five back when they were all living there. In the last two weeks, however, it had been host to many visitors. Today was no different. Pinkie had brought her five closest friends from Ponyville to visit, and Octavia had invited her bandmates as well. It was a day of celebration, after all, and a celebration wasn't a celebration without good friends and family to celebrate with. It was only moments ago that the papers were officially signed, entrusting full ownership of the farm to the Pie family. Pinkie had collaborated with Mr. and Mrs. Cake to make the perfect cake for the celebration. The giant rock-shaped cake was so perfectly crafted that it had nearly tricked Goodie. With Octavia leaving the farm to live in Canterlot, Aquarina would be keeping control of the majority of the work on the farm, although fellow farmer Applejack had offered her help if she could fit it into her schedule. It wasn't much of a surprise to Pinkie that the two of them became fast friends.

Aquarina finally told Pinkie the truth behind the lack of communication from the family about earlier in the day. Even though Pinkie had told her not to worry about it on the day of their reunion, the guilt was too much for her to bear. It didn't go flawlessly, nor should it have. Pinkie was hurt by the revelation, but it didn't take much for her to forgive her sister. She had just gotten her back, and she wasn't willing to lose her again. Besides, to paraphrase what her father had said years ago after the ban on parties in the house, Aquarina's guilt had punished her enough. Today was not a day for hard feelings. Today was a day for celebration and reminiscing.

"Remember the time you led the whole family in the Pony Pokey?" Aquarina asked, nudging Pinkie and chuckling.

"Oh gosh, I remember that," Octavia chimed in, grinning. "I could barely do it. I'm no dancer."

"Oh, you were better than your father was!" Goodie laughed. "That is, after Pinkamena spent about 20 minutes convincing him to join in!"

"Totally!" Pinkie agreed. She then nudged Aquarina back. "And I remember YOU complaining near the end!" She broke into an imitation of Aquarina. "Pinkamena, that's enough dancing! I don't want to put my whole self in anymore! My whole self is staying out!" The entire group laughed, including a now-blushing Aquarina.

"Well...I was tired!" the blue mare answered.

"We were all pretty tired," Octavia agreed. "Except for Pinkie. She never gets tired as long as there's still partying to do!"

"Youuuuu know it!" Pinkie answered, ruffling her sister's mane. The group shared another laugh.

"You know, Pinkamena," Goodie said, once the laughter had quieted down. "Your father would always talk about you." She sat down next to Pinkie, wrapping a foreleg around her. "He missed having you here so much, but he was so happy that you were out in the world, doing what made you happy." Pinkie beamed, feeling a couple of tears coming on. It wasn't the first time her mom had told her something along these lines, but it made her just as happy each time. Luckily, she had friends who could sense when she needed them most, as Twilight and Rainbow both moved in to be close to her in case she needed them. The party pony smiled wistfully as she looked towards the porch, over to the vacant rocking chair that her father used to occupy when he was done with his part of the work. She took a deep breath, keeping her smile up. She may have been away from home for a long time, but it still hurt her to think that he would never sit in that chair again.

"How's everypony doing out here?" Pickerton asked as his aide pushed his wheelchair out to join the party.

Doctors had been positively baffled at the old farmer's sudden recovery. Nopony could properly explain it. Most ended up agreeing upon the fact that he was just a tough old stallion who wouldn't give up the ghost without a fight. The family, however, believed otherwise. He certainly wasn't out of the water and still didn't have all that much time left, but the light in Pickerton's eyes when Pinkie returned was like nothing the family had seen in him in a long time. Perhaps it didn't make sense from a logistical standpoint, but when Pinkie was involved, sometimes it didn't have to.

Comments ( 15 )

Well that was a shocking turn of events. :pinkiegasp:

So many feels...

What a tweest! :pinkiehappy:

This is a story I remember finding early on in my time in the fandom and it presented one of my earliest favorite pieces of fanon, that being the idea that Octavia was one of Pinkie's two sisters. That's since become an idea that's not only fallen to the wayside in the fandom, but now outright disproven via the canon of the show. Sticking to such an idea for the core of a story can be incredibly hard, I know this personally for one of my own stories. Too often authors become too enamored of their own headcanon ideas that it can lead to poor stories and hard feelings, but this is one time when the final product turns out pretty good. The story is overall paced pretty nicely with interesting flashbacks and expositions between the characters, and everyone involved seems to be portrayed pretty well in-character.

If I have any real qualms with this story, it's the "twist" ending. That nearly gave me whiplash to be honest. I can appreciate wanting to give things a "happy" ending, but I don't feel this is a story that needed this kind of a wrap-up. A little more explanation or build-up to it would make it easier to take, but as it is it's really rather abrupt. Still, it's certainly not enough to taint my enjoyment of the story as a whole. Well done, and I look forward to reading your newer work as it updates. :pinkiehappy:

Cheesy and trashy end.

So, basically, what your telling me is;

Da beeg poneh deyed and den he woz soopa stong... strong and cam bak too laf!

BEST STORY WRITER EVER! :twilightoops: I'm so amazing...

2974027

Or, you know, he could have been close to death, but managed to hold on a little longer. It's not like he's cured of his sickness. He's just not dead yet.

I don't mind criticism in the slightest. I wasn't sure about the ending myself. When it's presented in an antagonistic fashion, though, that's when it bothers me.

What a nice happy ending :pinkiehappy:

This fanfiction is really similar to one I have read called going home... I'm wondering if you or that author may have taken ideas from one another. Anyways great story none the less and I really enjoyed it so thank you. :)

This story has been reviewed by: The Equestrian Critics Society

Story Title: Changing Octaves

Author: Twinkletail

Reviewed by: Shahrazad

Changing Octaves is a drama about the Pie family. It’s worthy entertainment for any drama fans. The story starts a bit slowly, but don’t let it fool you. The ending packs a strong, emotive punch, and the story finishes with a solid epilogue.

The story never gets dark or edgy. This isn’t a bad thing, but readers shouldn’t expect a sudden shift in narrative tone. In addition, the story doesn’t have clearly defined antagonists or protagonists. Again, this isn’t a bad thing, it’s just a stylistic choice that readers need to just roll with. In addition, the plot isn’t exactly canon, but it’s certainly believable. In the end, it’s worth the time it takes to read if you enjoy slice of life stories.

Full Review

Score: 7.0/10

4225671

Thanks for the review! It's much appreciated :pinkiehappy:

Appears I've read some of this before. After a refresh I can't remember why I didn't finish this. Gonna re-add it to my list. Until that time here ya go

i.imgur.com/6MrWqNZ.png

Great story.

Aquarina finally told Pinkie the truth behind the lack of communication from the family about earlier in the day.

Bleeeeeeeeeeech. I would have liked to have seen that conversation. I feel like it would have been an excellent opportunity for some strong character development and bonding.

Perhaps it didn't make sense from a logistical standpoint

I'm not convinced that's the right word.



All in all, I really enjoyed finally finishing this story. It was indeed like Christmas all over again.

Wow. This story's headcannon is really ancient now that you take a look back. Regardless a lovely story.

Login or register to comment