• Published 19th Oct 2012
  • 9,642 Views, 929 Comments

The Last Human - Blackdragn18



Humans were once in Equestria but they were all murdered except one

  • ...
110
 929
 9,642

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 73: Ruins

Am I dead? I opened my eyes to find it was pitch black.

Don’t be so dramatic.

Why is it so dark then?

Maybe because we’re buried under a bunch of rubble.

Really? Stretching my wings I felt resistance. Well that’s good. Wait how are we nod crushed? That building came straight down on us.

You were too busy closing your eyes to notice that the building ended up hitting some destroyed wall. That made the building just break.

Excellent. Now how are we supposed to escape?

You realize it’s just rubble right?

True. Using most of my strength I pushed up. After a few seconds the rubble began to lift until I saw the light of day. Freedom! I crawled out of the hole and stretched.

Aren’t you forgetting someone?

Oh yeah. I looked back to see Luna and Progenitus. The hydra was sitting next to the unconscious princess looking upset. Walking over I lifted Luna up, carefully carrying her and walked away, Progenitus quickly followed. Looking around I saw we had ended up in what seemed like a crater of destroyed buildings. Spotting a massive pile of rubble I climbed up it to get a better look of the area.

Well that’s not pretty.

Canterlot was practically gone. Almost as far as I could see there was nothing but destroyed buildings. Looking towards the mountain I saw a small impression where part of the city used to be but nothing was on it.

When he said Canterlot was going to fall he was quite literal.

Yeah. Celestia’s gonna be pissed. Then something crossed my mind.

“Celestia!” I carefully placed Luna on a piece of flat rubble. “Guard her Progenitus.” The hydra nodded before sitting next to her. I gave a thumbs up before flying to where the east bit of town used to be.

What are you doing?

“I have to find Celestia and the others.”

Assuming they’re alive.

“They are.” I said as I landed. “Where do I start?”

I’m not sure, this is a large area to cover.

Yeah, they could have been turned into ponycakes anywhere.

Not helping Nick.

“They aren’t ponycakes, Celestia found a way to save them from the destruction.” I lifted a large part of a house before throwing it far behind me when there wasn’t anyone under it. “She always has some sort of trick or plan.”

What about all those times she’s been bested? Like getting beaten by Nightmare Moon, was that part of a plan?

Well technically yes. She was making herself scarce so that Twilight and the others would have to face her.

What about Discord?

She did manage to get Twilight’s morale back up so she could fix her friends.

Changelings! You can’t deny me the changelings.

That one I have no defense for her.

“Celestia!” I shouted, lifting a large sign. Dropping it I lifted what I think used to be a fountain. “Twilight!” I growled before throwing the fountain at the mountain.

Calm down.

“I have to find them.” I said as I dug out some bits of building. “They have to be somewhere around here.”

I think you need to face it Sean.

“Face what?” I asked before growling and smashing a bit of broken palace.

That they’re gone.

“They can’t be.” I shook my head.

King Boring is right for once. We’ve been looking for an hour! If they were alive they’d have turned up.

“You guys are wrong. They’re here somewhere, you’ll see. We’ll find them any minute.”

“Where are they?” I asked as I sat down on a piece of wall. “They have to be here somewhere.”

I’m sorry but they aren’t. There is no way they could have made it, even if they had I’m sure all your shouting would have made them find some way to show you where they were.

“But.”

But nothing! They’re dead! Gone! RIP!

Ignore him. Anyway, I don’t like it either. However, there is one pony left that needs our help.

“I guess you’re right.” I stood up and began to walk away. "Bye guys."

“Hey, wake up lazy.” I slapped Luna. “Come on, this is not nap time.”

Maybe she’s dead too.

“She better not be.” I pressed my head to her chest and was glad to hear weak breathing. “Good.”

She doesn’t look too good though.

Bob was right, her armor had a large singe in the chest, there was a decent cut across her leg, and she was covered in bruises.

“What’s up with this blood?” I looked at some red that was trickling over her eye. “Where’s it coming from?”

That’s not a good thing. Take off the helmet.

“If you say so.” Grabbing the sides of her helmet I pulled it off. “I don’t think foreheads are supposed to bleed like that.” There was a reasonable cut on her forehead that was releasing a fair amount of blood.

This is bad, we need to get her to a hospital.

“Where do you propose we go for that? You saw the towns we freed, they are in no shape for medical care, and the rest were evacuated.” I asked impatiently as I took one of my gloves and wrapped it around her head.

What about the zebras?

“That’s true.”

No, that’s too long a flight. Once we move her we have to get somewhere quickly.

“Since when are you a doctor?”

Since shut up.

“Whatever.” I shrugged. “So Dr. Bob, where do you propose we go? Most of the other races hate us” There was a pause.

The Crystal Empire, Cadence is the ruler.

“True, that’s still a pretty long flight though, and I’ll have to fly slower than usual.”

It’s better than anything else we have. Our choices really are either try it, or stay here and let her die.

“Fair enough.” I stood up and stretched before reaching down and carefully lifting Luna up, Progenitus quickly jumped onto my shoulder. “I’m guessing dragon is the smarter flight.”

Probably.

“Well let’s go visit Cadence.” I then changed to my dragon form, holding Luna in one of my hands. Progenitus ended up climbing into that hand to sit next to her. “And we’re off!”

Hey! Don’t you close your eyes!

“Sorry?” The adrenaline had finally worn off and I was beginning to feel the toll of six battles in one day. “I’m so tired.”

Well lucky for you the Crystal Empire is just ahead.

“Really?” I looked up to see. The name was apparently quite literal, the entire place was made of crystal. The buildings glistened in the sunlight as we neared it. “I didn’t expect it to actually be made of crystals.” Then I felt something clink off my armor, looking down I saw three more small projectiles come at me, two hit my armor and one bounced off my arm. “Who is doing that?”

Crystal ponies.

Looking closer I saw he was right, they were hard to see but pony shaped figures were on the ground holding crossbows. After a second several more bolts came flying at me, they were all of course useless as the metal projectiles merely bounced off me.

Are we just ignoring them?

“Pretty much.” I continued to fly towards a massive crystal castle. “I’m guessing Cadence is in there.”

What was your first clue?

Once I reached the castle I landed at the front door and returned to my human form. Moving towards the large crystal door I prepared to knock before a bolt flew and jabbed through my hand.

“Halt!” I looked back to see four crystal ponies with crossbows glaring at me.

“Look, I don’t have time for you idiots.” I tore my hand free. “My friend here is in danger of death and I need Cadence.”

“If you want to get near the princess you will have to do it over our dead bodies.”

“That can be arranged.” I opened my mouth to prepare a fireball, Progenitus growled at them growing a foot taller. Then the sound of the door opening was heard behind me.

“What’s going on out here?” Looking back I saw Cadence standing in the door way.

“Princess stay back!” One of the guards ordered.

“Hi Cadence. Would you get your glittering morons away from me?”

“Hello Sean.” She nodded. “You ponies stand down.”

“You know this creature?” One of them asked.

“Of course, he’s a friend of mine from Equestria.” She turned and walked inside. “Come in Sean.”

“Thank you.” I turned and stuck my tongue out at the ponies.

That’s mature.

You’re expecting maturity from me?

“So, what brings you to my kingdom Sean?” Cadence asked looking back.

“Oh right, Luna needs medical attention.” The reason I had come slipping my mind for a minute.

“Aunt Luna? What’s wrong with her?” Cadence asked, getting closer to see the alicorn in my arms. “What happened to her head!?”

“Griffins happened.” I growled. “They got to Canterlot and attacked.”

“Explain the rest in a minute.” Cadence’s horn glowed and we were teleported. As we rematerialized I looked around. We were in a new crystal room, the crystals were a white shade. There were a few beds made of crystals along with other furniture.

“Where are we now?” I asked.

“The royal infirmary.” Cadence said as she pressed a button. “The best doctors in the Crystal Empire work here.”

“If you say so.” Then a door swung open and a crystal pony ran in. He was made of lighter colored crystals, wearing a lab coat. His cutie mark was a stethoscope.

“You rang Princess.” He bowed to Cadence.

“Yes, Princess Luna needs serious medical attention.” The doctor walked up and looked at her, his eyes widened as he saw the head injury.

“That she does.” He whistled and four more ponies came in with a gurney. “Place her on that.”

“You’re the doctor.” I nodded before carefully putting Luna on the gurney. “Just make sure you fix her.” I glared at the doctor. “Assuming you like that face of yours.”

“Sean, back away from the doctor.” Cadence ordered. I growled and backed away to stand next to the pink alicorn. The ponies looked at me concerned for a minute then Luna before slowly leaving the room with her.

“What was that about?” Cadence asked me.

“I just want one of them to survive.” I clenched my fist.

“What do you mean one of them?”

“One of my friends from Equestria.”

“Give me full answers.”

“Canterlot was blown up.” I looked at her. “And Celestia, Twilight, and the elements with it.”

“What!?”

“Let me give the full story.”

“Then. BOOM! No more city.” I told Cadence and Shiny as I leaned back in the crystal chair.

“Those filthy griffins.” Shiny slammed a hoof on the crystal table we were sitting at. “They can’t get away with this.”

“And they won’t.” I looked at him.

“What about Twilight and the others?” Cadence asked looking upset.

“They were on the other side of town when it crumbled, I looked for them but couldn’t find any trace.”

“If you couldn’t find a trace of them maybe they escaped.” Cadence looked hopefully.

“Doubt it.” Shiny shook his head. “From what he says the griffins knew about all secret escape routes, they wouldn’t have been able to hide.”

“There’s still a chance.” Cadence stood up. “Tomorrow I’ll send some of my guards to search the ruins for them.”

“Knock yourself out.” I crossed my arms and yawned. “I searched for two hours and found nothing, but whatever.”

“Are you ok?” Shiny looked at me quizzically.

“Yeah, just tired.”

“Why don’t you get some rest?” Cadence said. “You can use one of the guest rooms.”

“That’s appreciated.” I stood up as Cadence turned and walked out of the room. Following closely we eventually came to a series of crystal doors. Opening one of the doors it opened up to a large crystal room. It was fairly simple there was a large bed in the center of the room, a crystal dresser, and chair. Progenitus ran and jumped onto the bed, curling up at the foot of it.

“Make yourself comfortable.” Cadence smiled.

“Thanks.” I flopped onto the bed.

“I just realized a problem.” Shiny said as he entered the room. “With Princess Celestia likely dead, and Princess Luna hospitalized, day and night are stuck.”

“What time is it?” I asked looking at him.

“6:18.” He responded.

“Alright, I got this.” I stood up and walked to the window, looking outside I spotted the sun. Activating Nick I concentrated on it.

You really think you can do this?

With Nick’s help.

“What do you mean?” Shiny asked as he came to stand next to me. After few seconds he looked at me in surprise as the sun began to set and the moon rose. After maybe a minute it was night.

“There you go.” I said as I returned to my usual form. “Goodnight.” I flopped onto the bed.

“How did you?” I heard Shiny ask before I fell asleep.

“Um Sean.” Someone was shaking me, the voice sounded familiar.

“Celestia, what did I tell you about waking me up?” I growled before opening my eyes. Cadence was in front of me looking confused.

“What?”

“Nothing.” I sat up. “What is it?”

“Well now is when Aunt Celestia would raise the sun.” She pointed to a clock, the hands showing it was almost 7:00.

“Oh.” Climbing out of the bed I stretched. “One sec.”

It’s too early. Nick groaned as I activated him.

Deal with it. Walking to the window I spotted the moon, repeating last night’s process I lowered it and raised the sun.

“There you go.” I turned to Cadence as I removed Nick. “Is that all?”

“I also came to give you an update on Aunt Luna.”

“Is everything alright?” I looked at her urgently. “Do I need to crack that doctor's crystal skull?” My voice lowering in pitch.

“Calm down.” She held a hoof up. “It’s the opposite really, they say she’s recovering well and should be conscious in two days at most.”

“Oh.” I took a deep breath. “That’s good to hear.”

“I thought you’d like that.” She nodded. “Now then, would you like to join Shining Armor and me for breakfast?”

“Sure.” I followed her as she headed out of the room. Walking down a crystal hallway she spoke up again.

“So, what are you going to do for the day?”

“Well I should probably get a look around this little empire of yours.” I shrugged. “Since I’m going to be here for a while longer may as well understand where I am.”

“That makes sense.” She nodded. “I’ll make sure the guards don’t attack you this time.”

“Thank you.” I nodded. “I assume this is it.” There were two large crystal doors in front of us.

“Yes.” She nodded before using her magic to open them. Behind the doors there was a large dining room. It wasn’t as extravagant as the Canterlot one but still nice. Shiny was already there waiting at a large rectangular table.

“Ah there you two are.” Shiny nodded. Cadence trotted over to sit next to him, I followed and sat across from them.

“Unfortunately we weren’t able to get you any of your usual junk food on such short notice.” Cadence told me as some crystal waiters entered with trays covered by lids.

“That’s fine.” I shrugged. “What do you have then?” As I asked that one of the ponies placed a tray in front of me.

“All we could think of was the fact you were part dragon.” I lifted the lid, on the tray there was a pile of gems.

“This should work.” I nodded before taking a bite out of one, my jaw ended up breaking. “Forgot to change.” I groaned as I snapped it back into place.

Genius.

Shove it. Changing my jaw to a more durable dragon type I began to actually eat.

“And this is the local bar.” Cadence pointed to a small building, it was wedged between two larger crystal buildings.

“Good to know.” Cadence had taken it upon herself to show me around her kingdom, pointing out all the major shops, restaurants, and meeting places. I don’t know how anyone could live here. Literally everything seems to be made out of crystals. It’s all way too sparkly.

“That about concludes the tour.”

“This is a nice place.” I nodded. “Quite the leap in power for you.”

“Filthy griffins.” I growled as I looked at Luna. She was lying in one of the beds unconscious, a bandage was wrapped around her head and leg, a cast was wrapped around one of her wings. The heart rate monitor weakly beeped with her pulse. A mask was on her muzzle to offer more air. The doctors claim it wasn’t necessary but what do they know. “They won’t get away with this.”

Well right now you’re letting them. We need to take action.

You’re right.

May I intervene?

No. I’m going to get them back, and you can’t stop me. I turned and left the room.

PreviousChapters Next