• Published 7th Oct 2012
  • 3,886 Views, 108 Comments

Uncharted: Applejack's journey - The-rogue-shadow



After a spell goes awry, Applejack must get back to Equestria, and only Nathan Drake can help.

  • ...
11
 108
 3,886

Chapter 8

Under the cover of night the red SUV roared down the small two-lane road, the excited occupants eagerly listening to Applejack as she told them all about Twilight and the element of magic. The element itself was glowing bright magenta, projecting an arrow that was pointing North-west from their current position.

“So that is why we have to get to Twilight before Khrushchev. If he gets her, then her unlimited magical abilities will be at risk,” she explained as the golden tiara hummed and vibrated in her hands.
“I’m still sceptical about all this Nate. Magic?” said Sully, retrieving a cigar from his jacket pocket.
“Seriously, after the last two weeks and everything we’ve seen. You’re still going to argue about the non-existence of magic,” said Elena, looking at Sully with a look of frustration and disbelief. Sully simply shrugged and smiled awkwardly. Meanwhile, Nathan was focussing on the road ahead, his brow furrowed in deep thought.

“What do you think Nate?” Applejack asked, reaching out and putting a hand on his shoulder. Nathan hesitated, running a hand through his hair and Applejack could tell that he was feeling very uncomfortable with what was going on.
“I-I’m just staring to think that we might be over our heads with this,” he said, shooting a quick look at Elena.
“Why?” Elena asked.
“I don’t know… magic, other dimensional beings and people with unmeasurable power. This isn’t what we do. I’m used to raiding some ancient tomb, solving some stupid puzzle or death trap and casually strolling out with no issues,” he exclaimed, becoming suddenly animated and slamming his fist on the dashboard.

“How can you say that with all that happened in Shangri-la?” argued Elena.
“Sure, but that’s different.”
“Not really, not in the long run. Besides, this is more about helping Applejack get back to her home than just raiding a dungeon,” Elena retorted and Nathan hesitated once more before replying.
“You’re right. I’m sorry Aj. This is just a little above my pay grade.”

***

After collecting their belongings from the bed and breakfast they continued to follow the element of magic’s arrow. It led them to a country known as ‘Ireland’ where Applejack was assured was also a place bristling with magical lore. It seemed like a very similar place to England, with the same rolling green hills and farmland that seemed to go on forever. As they got closer to what appeared to be the middle of nowhere in the center of a field, the element of magic began to hum softly and vibrate in Applejack’s hands.

When the humming changed and became a high pitched squeal, and the arrow projected above the tiara pointed straight down, there was no doubt in Applejack’s mind that they were close to finding her a way home.
With an intense vigour usually reserved for only the greatest of celebrations, they set out meticulously scanning the area for any hint to an underground temple or an above ground idol. After a while, Elena walked back to the SUV, retrieving her laptop and beginning a background check on the area.

An hour passed with nothing found, even after they had broken out the shovels and started digging at the exact spot the tiara was leading them too. Defeated and exhausted, Applejack, Nathan and Sully headed back to the SUV for a break.
“Well the digging was a waste of time,” grumbled Sully as he sat on the tailgate next to Elena, with Nathan taking up the spot next to her, while Applejack just held the element of magic in her hands, staring at it as though it would reveal its secrets under her angry gaze.

“I think I might know why. We’ve been going about this all the wrong way,” said Elena, her fingers a blur on the keyboard. “Applejack said that this ‘Twilight’ was a very studious person right, well I got to thinking that maybe the way to bring her into this world was a bit cleverer than just finding some old temple. So I decided to do some digital digging, and discovered that this part of Ireland is covered in Ley Lines.”
“Go on…” said Nathan, his voice gaining an excited tone.
“And it just so happens that this exact spot is at an intersection of multiple Ley Lines.”
“You might need to explain what Ley Lines are, for those in the group who don’t know. Like Applejack,” Sully said, prompting a hard look from the blonde woman.
“Well there’s not much about them. However, one of the legends I found said that they are the ‘veins’ for all the magic in the world, which would mean that an intersection-“
“Would be like a heart or artery,” finished Nathan, the smile on his face growing in anticipation.
“Exactly, and what’s better, these Ley Lines are supposed to be activated by the light of the full moon.”
“Which is tonight, isn’t it,” smiled Applejack, laughing when Elena started nodding. “Oh Twi, sometimes you’re almost too clever. So what now?”

“Well moon rise is in about three hours, so we’re just going to have to wait,” Elena explained, closing her laptop with an extremely smug smile plastered on her face.

***

That night, as the moon was reaching its zenith, Applejack placed the element of magic right in the centre of the intersection of Ley Line. Behind her, the others were standing by the SUV, shivering from the frigid Irish night, as well as the lack of warm clothes.

“Huh, if you think this is cold, none of you have ever been to Russia,” said a familiar voice from the darkness. Applejack’s hand instantly went to her hip, only to find herself without a weapon.
“Khrushchev! How did you find us?” Nathan shouted to the black.
“Oh Mister Drake, do you not know how a GPS works? Satellites man. Tracking,” Khrushchev explained mockingly and Applejack heard Nathan curse under his breath. “Now, I’d like you to listen closely. I want the tiara. No funny business, no magical girls popping out of nowhere, just the jewellery.”
At Applejack’s feet however, the element of magic started to hum and crackle with the sound of burning air. She started backing away, smiling all the while.

“I’m afraid that it might be too late for that Khrushchev,” she goaded, as the tiara detonated in a similar manner to the necklace at Pinkie’s temple, only this time, the lightning was a deep purple. The light from the ball of energy lit up the field, revealing dozens of black-clad soldiers surrounding them and Applejack got a quick glimpse of Khrushchev standing directly across from her.

In the centre of the sphere, a dark shape started to form, slowly making its way out of the bottom like a butterfly hatching from a cocoon, landing on the ground underneath with a thud.

Cautiously, Applejack made her way forward, but suddenly jumped back at an explosion of light emanating from the person in the centre; Twilight Sparkle. Like Pinkie, she had arrived clothed; wearing blue denim jeans, a lavender button up shirt, a darker purple sweater-vest and resting on her face was a pair or black-framed, rectangular glasses. Magenta energy sparked from her fingertips, giving her an awe-inspiring look.
“T-Twilight?” Applejack asked as her friend looked around at the many soldiers staring at her silently, before turning to face Applejack.

“Yes, it’s me. Before our reunion, mind giving me the run down about what’s going on here?” Twilight asked, her cold, monotone voice making Applejack uncomfortable.
“Uh, right. Well all those guys dressed in black are bad, and the three by the car are good. Make sense?”
“It works,” Twilight replied, taking another look around her.

“Ah great, another silly girl. Men, kill them all,” Khrushchev shouted, which was then followed by the sound of dozens of automatic rifles firing. Applejack closed her eyes tightly, expecting the pain of being torn apart by bullets, only to never receive that sensation. Chancing a look, she opened one eye to find both Twilight and herself, as well as the others and their car encased in some kind of magenta dome of energy. Applejack could still hear and see the guns firing, but the bullets were being stopped dead by Twilight’s magic bubble.

“Hmm, ultra high damage projectile. Black powder would have to be the catalyst. The weapon’s magazines would only hold about thirty projectiles and at a fire rate of two rounds a second…. Three, Two, One,” Twilight whispered to herself, the monotone curiosity in her voice sending a cold shiver up Applejack’s spine. When she finished her count down, and the rifles had all stopped firing right on cue, Applejack watched in awe as Twilight quickly deactivated the force field, her hands igniting in a light show of sparks and energy, before thrusting them outward and creating a wave of white light that cascaded toward the soldiers, colliding with all of them and sending them flying.

Twilight grabbed Applejack’s arm tightly, dragging her over to the SUV, where she placed her other hand, which was once again glowing, onto the vehicle.
“Keep calm,” she said simply, as they all disappeared in a flash of white light.

***

Nathan and Sully heaved, throwing up from the sensation of being teleported, with Elena having passed out in transit. Twilight was looking around the dark field cautiously, as though expecting another attack. Applejack just watched her silently, unsure of how to act around her at the moment.

After a moment, Twilight’s frown changed to a satisfied smile and she leapt on Applejack, giving her a big kiss on the cheek and a hug tighter then the farmer had ever felt before.
“Oh Applejack, I’m so happy to see you again. It’s been so, so long,” Twilight exclaimed happily as Applejack returned the hug, nuzzling deep into Twilight’s embrace.
“Aw shucks Twi, it’s only been a couple of weeks,” Applejack replied casually, tears of happiness forming in the corners of her eyes. Everything about Twi seemed so much like home, even the scent of Ponyville. Twilight pulled out of the hug, a look of shocked confusion in her eyes.
“What? A couple of weeks?”
“Yeah, these folks found me in an ancient temple on top of a mountain, and I’ve been travelling with them since, trying to find a way home.”

“Oh no… Uh, Aj, I think there’s something you need to know,” Twilight said, taking a few steps away.
“What is it Twilight? What’s wrong?” she asked, suddenly worried for her family.
“It’s not been ‘a couple of weeks’ in Equestria. You’ve been missing for five years,” said the pale girl, looking down at her feet. Applejack’s knees buckled at that, causing her to collapse onto the soggy ground beneath her.
“F-Five years? And my family?”
“Every pony’s fine, but a few things have changed in your absence.”
“Like what! Tell me Twilight Sparkle, or Celestia help me I will punch you!” Applejack screamed, her voice starting to crack.
“Well for one, I’m no longer the Ponyville librarian. I’m now Princess Twilight Sparkle of Equestria,” explained Twilight, and with that, two glowing light purple wings appeared from nothing on her back, spreading wide and looking as though they were made from nothing but light.

“P-Princess?” Applejack asked weakly, her eyes glazing over from the beauty of Twilight’s wings.
“Yes, I should also tell you that your family misses you deeply. Granny Smith, Applebloom and your nieces.”
“Nieces?”
“Yeah, Big Mac and Fluttershy married about two years ago and now they have twins; Red Delicious and Whisper Jack, named for you,” Twilight told her, crouching to look her friend in the eye. Applejack continued to cry, but a small smile had found her lips.

“Tell me more,” she said, reaching out and pulling Twilight close. “Tell me everything.”
“We can go more in depth when we are in a safe place, but for now you should know these important facts; Pinkie and Dash are a couple, Applebloom has her cutie mark, Spike got accidentally changed into a pony by Discord when he got free and went on a rampage, although that turned out well, because he’s married to Rarity now… But that event did mark one big change for us. Because you weren’t available to be the element of honesty during that time, we had to find a replacement.”
“Wait, what are you saying?”
“I’m afraid you are no longer the element of honesty in Equestria,” Twilight explained, the look of shock on Applejack’s face making her cringe.
“Well then who is?”

“Applebloom took over. Applebloom is honesty.”

Author's Note:

Okay, sorry this took so long, but it was a weird chapter to write, both from a research point of view, and from the content.
I mean, in the end it's been written, but I'm not all that happy with the end result, although i think that's because this chapter had to be very dialogue heavy.

Comments ( 19 )

Interesting backstory.

Hmmmm.....Well, this isn't the first time you've replaced AJ as the Element of Honesty. At least this time, it's an Earth Pony and not a Pegasus......

2632729
Thank you. Is there any part in particular that is interesting?

2632795
I know what you mean, and I agree. I was just worried about falling into that trap of 'Side Character takes took long to believe it and they and the hero keep getting into arguments about it.'

Although, I do think I messed it up.

2633518
Yeah... You know, even though she's my favourite of the Mane Six, I always seem to put her through some bad stuff.... Now I feel sad.

2634675
There are odder ways to show one's devotion to a character so......

2634663 Just the way you summed up the last five years.

2666519
Oh wow, that is really cool thank you so much for translating it.
And I'm really sorry for the late reply, I've been missing a lot of comment messages after the notification system as changed.

Looks like this story deserves an alternate universe tag. Also, is time going faster in Equestria still, when the other ponies arrive on earth? What will they see when they get home.

*Tune in to the next chapters of.... Uncharted: Applejack's Journey!* :pinkiehappy:

2841151
Good point, I'll add that tag whenever I get around to uploading the next chapter.
As for your other question... Yes, time is still going faster in Equestria.

So, when's the next chapter? :raritystarry:

3143048
As soon as I find the time to write it unfortunately. I'm really sorry that it has been so long.

Wait... WHAT?!?!?!:pinkiegasp:
Aw crap! Shit just got real!
I :heart: the story by the way
Please update soon!

Oh hey, neato cover art.

So, yeah, I've had this in my "Read Later List" since about this time last year.... :facehoof:

Welp, after reading it, and catching up with it, I gotta ask; is it dead?

I'd rather it not be, after getting so into it.

I'm more interested in seeing this completed than I am about half of the multi-chapter stories sitting in my favorites list, so if you could just sate my thirst for an answer, I'd be happy. :ajsmug:

5018391
Hi there!,
I'm glad you like the story. As for the answer to your question... I dunno. If I may be brutally honest with you. I overworked myself with my fics, while at the same time running the 'Ask Green Lantern Fluttershy' tumblr. And then I had some incidents with the toxic parts of the fandom and I got... well I got scared away.

I had so much fun writing this story and it's one of my favourites that I've done. And I still have the intention of going back to it.. but at the moment. I just don't think I can.

So at the moment, call the story... on life support, but with a high chance of recovery.

5020364 I'm sorry bout' that reply time, been keeping busy.

I can understand. I've overworked myself before, so I know that.

Sorry to hear you found some of the "lesser half" of the fandom.

Its got a chance of recoverey?! I'm happy to hear that! You got my follow and stuff, so I look forward to it! :rainbowdetermined2:

This is not a bad story, you should continue it. You even gave me an idea to make my own version, but more base off the games. I play lots of Video Games and I'm well aware of the Uncharted Series.

I find myself thinking of Artemis Fowl when I think of Twilight in this story.:twilightblush:

Login or register to comment