• Published 12th Dec 2023
  • 2,582 Views, 100 Comments

Gamophobia - RunicTreetops



Chrysalis is supposed to thrive at weddings. Today, she ran from the most important one of her life: hers.

  • ...
16
 100
 2,582

Gamophobia

Anon wipes a tear from his eye. There, at the end of the aisle, is Chrysalis, his wife-to-be. It’s the first time he’s seen her adorned in the gorgeous wedding dress that Rarity made for her, and in this moment, she has never looked more beautiful. Music plays as she slowly walks down the aisle. She is escorted by no one, but that was at her request.

All eyes are on her. To be fair, there aren’t a whole lot of attendees at the wedding. Chrysalis eventually relented and allowed Twilight, Rarity, and the rest of their friends to attend for Anon’s sake… with the condition that they all sit near the back. It hardly matters, as the seats are far from full, but she got her wish.

On the other side, a tall stallion no one has ever seen before watches with a gentle smile. Anon and Chrysalis know this stallion to be Thorax in disguise, not wanting to potentially upset his subjects by being here but still hoping to show his support. In the row in front of him, Ocellus and her friends from the School of Friendship all politely watch, though the conflicting feelings on Ocellus’s face are clear. They want to support their favorite substitute teacher, but it’d be an understatement to say that they have conflicting feelings about Chrysalis.

Such is the general vibe of the wedding as a whole. Chrysalis hasn’t done a great job at ingratiating ponies to her side. Lyra and Bon-Bon are, of course, acting as her bridesmaids, with the former in particular being extremely excited at the opportunity to be maid of honor. However, what few ponies are in attendance, like Sunburst and Mr. Tale, are mostly there for Anon. The fact that neither the bride nor the groom have any family to invite isn’t helping matters, either.

That said, no one really cares. You don’t need a bunch of attendees to have a wedding. There are a few others dotted about here and there, but for the most part, it’s a smaller wedding, which is exactly what Chrysalis wanted. She visibly takes a deep breath as she continues her walk down the aisle, clearly trying to keep her nerves in check. Thoughts of pretending to be Cadance swim through her mind, and she finds herself trembling.

She gently shakes her head, clears her eyes, and gets a good look at Anon. All at once, it’s like all of her intrusive thoughts just melt away. A tiny smile forms on her face as she continues walking.

The sight of Chrysalis in a wedding gown is a bit strange for everyone but Anon. While he thinks she looks downright beautiful, it’s an adjustment for everyone else. The ex-queen of the changelings isn’t known for being particularly attractive. If anything, she’s known for being terrifying. Seeing someone like her gracefully walk down the aisle, adorned in a beautiful, carefully crafted gown with a smile on her face and tears beginning to form in her eyes is… well, jarring.

And yet, her happiness is contagious.

Finally, the music begins to fade away as she reaches the altar. She takes her spot next to Anon, where they both stare deep into the other’s eyes. Behind them stands Mayor Mare, the only pony Anon could find with enough authority to officiate a wedding but not so much authority that Chrysalis has a problem with it.

She begins speaking, though for the bride and groom, her words fall on deaf ears. They are surely meaningful and carefully prepared, but neither Anon nor Chrysalis can focus on anything but each other. A mixture of excitement and anxiety and joy and absolute terror fills their hearts. Gamophobia can be a hideous beast, but overcoming it has led them to this moment. And more than anything else, it’s their love for each other that beats out all other emotions.

Through the emotions running wild within him and his teary eyes that remain locked on Chrysalis, Anon almost misses his cue to say his vows. With a shaky, anxious voice, Chrysalis does the same. When the time comes to say “I do,” Anon responds with clarity and determination. However, at Mayor Mare’s prompting, Chrysalis hesitates.

“...”

Her breathing is ragged. Everypony waits with bated breath. For a moment, Anon feels a tension growing in his chest. However, it fades away just as quickly as it arrives.

I trust her.

Finally, after almost ten agonizingly long seconds, she closes her eyes and takes a very deep breath. When her eyes open again, the tears within them break from their confines and run freely down her cheeks, prompting Anon’s to do the same.

“I do.”

“Then by the power vested in me by Equestria, I now pronounce you husband and wife.” Mayor Mare does a slight bow and takes a step back. “You may–”

She doesn’t even get to finish before Anon and Chrysalis eagerly embrace, their lips locking immediately as they hold each other close. The few attendees present sound their excitement and approval with applause, though the newlyweds don’t even register it.

Finally, they are together.


“And that’s how your mother and I got married.”

“...”

There’s a moment of silence in the quiet living room. Anon sits in his favorite recliner. In his lap, a young, comfortable, light changeling girl stares at him in quiet awe. She’s light pink with bright blue eyes and highlights around her neck and hooves. Unlike most other light changelings, those eyes of hers aren’t a solid color, and instead look much more like her mother’s.

Her name is Gena, and she’s the second youngest of Anon and Chrysalis’s five children.

“...That’s so ROMANTIC!”

On the far side of the room, an old sofa rests against the wall. On it sit three creatures. On the far left is another light changeling girl. Much like the one in Anon’s lap, she is still a school-age child with bright blue eyes, though her body is green. She was the one who spoke, and she grins with a faint blush peeking through her brightly colored cheeks. Her name is Seta, and she’s the largest and the oldest of the children.

“I don’t know, I find it hard to believe that mom has ever run from anything, least of all a wedding.”

The second-eldest child, a golden changeling boy with orange eyes, sits in the middle of the sofa between his sister and mother. He glances between his parents incredulously, still trying to process the story of their wedding. Tarsus is his name, and the amount of respect he holds for his mother is enough to make her feel like a queen again.

“I can’t picture her crying, either.”

The middle child, a blue changeling with purple eyes, sits on the floor while wrapping himself in a blanket much too large for him. His name is Canthus, and he has a penchant for sarcasm.

“Auntie Lyra and Auntie Bonnie are spies?”

“N-no, Terga.” Anon scratches the back of his head as his youngest child, a purple changeling with green eyes, rocks back and forth in her spot on the floor. Despite being the youngest child, she’s bigger than Canthus and Gena. Also, despite their relative “ages,” they all hatched on the same day. As siblings do, however, they put a lot of stock into who the eldest, youngest, biggest, and smallest among them are. “They retired a while ago. Also, you probably shouldn’t bring this up around them.”

Anon laughs sheepishly as the energy in the room seems to increase with the kids’ excitement.

“You really fought through a secret underground spy base?! That’s so cool!”

Tarsus jumps off of the couch and attempts a sloppy recreation of “spy” moves he read about in one of his comics, causing Terga to start mimicking him while giggling.

“I don’t know,” Seta says with a coy smile. “That sounds like mom, but dad? Frankly, it’s hard to believe you were dodging punches or throwing ponies into walls.”

“It’s true!”

“How many times must I tell you to stop underestimating your father?” Seta’s smile fades as she glances at Chrysalis, who wears a coy smile of her own. “Careful. Misbehave while I’m not around and you might feel his wrath for a change.”

“That isn’t even remotely as threatening as you were intending.”

“Daddy?” Anon looks down at Gena, whose gentle voice is barely audible over her siblings’ commotion. “What happened to S.M.I.L.E.?”

“Well, Princess Twilight gave it a thorough examination. Silver Bullet and Miss Proctor were both fired, as were a bunch of other agents that were abusing their position.”

“So… it’s still around?”

“It sure is. Only now, it’s working to keep you kids safe.”

He gently boops her snoot, coaxing a laugh out of her.

On the floor, Tarsus, Canthus, and Terga have all begun wrestling with each other. It isn’t a problem that their parents feel needs addressing until Tarsus hits his head on the nearby coffee table. As soon as that happens, Chrysalis stomps a hoof, prompting all five children to stand at attention and look in her direction.

“That’s enough. You’re all up way past your bedtime.”

Anon glances at a clock mounted nearby. Sure enough, his story went on for much too long. They should have been in bed an hour ago. Or, at least, they should have if it were a weekday.

“Isn't it a weekend?”

“They still have somewhere to be in the morning.” She tilts her head, motioning to the steps that lead to their bedrooms on the second floor. “Brush your teeth and get to sleep.”

One by one, the five colorful changeling children collect themselves and start to head upstairs.

“Goodnight!”

“‘Night, mom!”

“Goodnight mom, goodnight dad!”

“Goodnight, daddy!”

“‘Night.”

Once all of their children have disappeared upstairs, fought over the bathroom, and retired to their own rooms, Anon and Chrysalis share a deep sigh.

“I’m really lucky to have you, Chryssi. I don’t think I’d be able to handle them on my own.”

“Give yourself some credit, Nonny.” Chrysalis stands from the sofa and sashays towards her husband, who looks at her with a smile. “I might be good at keeping them in line, but you’re the one teaching them how to be good little changelings.” She stops when she reaches the recliner, prompting him to sit upright. She leans forward as if to kiss him, but stops just before their lips touch. “Though you could afford to grow a spine.”

“Can it.”

Anon closes the gap the rest of the way, and a tiny moan escapes from Chrysalis. Her dinner is late today thanks to that story, and she intends to savor it.

When they eventually part, they’re both left gasping for air. Anon reaches out and pulls Chrysalis on top of him, prompting her to roll her eyes before acquiescing and getting comfortable, much like Gena had been minutes before.

“You stopped at the best part of the story, too.”

“Hm? D-did I forget something?”

“Our honeymoon?”

Anon recoils slightly, coaxing a quiet chuckle out of Chrysalis.

“The less they know about our honeymoon, the better.”

“What? Scared to teach your children about the birds and the bees?” Her tone is quiet and mocking, but clearly not meant with any ill intent. Anon rolls his eyes before she gives him another long, quiet kiss. “They’re gonna be asking soon, anyway.”

“What makes you say that?”

Chrysalis raises an eyebrow while her coy smile only grows, though she says nothing. As Anon looks into her eyes, he realizes that she’s letting him piece it together himself. It isn’t until he recognizes that she’s feeling a bit heavier in his lap than usual that he finally understands her meaning, causing his eyes to quickly widen.

“Y-you don’t mean…?”

“I have no idea how many eggs are in here, either. Guess you’d better be prepared for the worst, shouldn’t you, Nonny?”

“How in the world are we going to be able to afford this?”

Anon’s eyes start to glaze over, but they regain clarity as Chrysalis nuzzles into his neck.

“Don’t worry. Thorax intends to start paying me as an official advisor. Generously, I might add.”

“Wait, really?”

“We’ll be fine. Besides,” she starts as she lets out a wistful, contented sigh. “You should probably get used to this.”

“Huh?”

“I told you when I first moved in, didn’t I? That this would be my new hive?”

“I-I didn’t think you meant–!”

“Settle down, loverboy.” She cackles at Anon’s growing discomfort. “I’m joking.”

“Phew.”

“Maybe.”

“...Why are you like this?”

“Hey, you signed up for this when you married me. I won’t have you turning back now.”

After a moment, Anon sighs and begins to run his fingers through her mane as he leans back in the recliner.

“There’s nowhere else I’d rather be, Chryssi.”

“Really? No regrets?”

“No regrets.”

“Good.” She closes her eyes, suddenly feeling extremely comfortable in Anon’s arms. “Me neither.”

Closing his eyes as well, Anon allows himself to bask in the feeling of comfort and contentment this moment has brought him. He’s got a family that loves him, a society that accepts them, and Chrysalis by his side.

It’s everything he’s ever asked for.

“I love you, Chryssi.”

“I love you too, Nonny.”

Too comfortable in each other’s embrace to move, the couple quietly dozes off to sleep right where they are. In this moment, their worries are miles away.

They are finally at peace.

Author's Note:

And that's the end! Thank you so much for joining me on this journey, it's been a lot of fun!

As always, I appreciate any and all feedback!

Comments ( 17 )

Changeling/10, wish I had a bug wife lol. Great work! :twilightsmile::heart:

Grats on the completion my friend

Beautiful. Just... Beautiful.

A fitting end for an awesome story, Runic. Super glad you could finally see this one through!

Awwwww, feels

Loooovely! loved this series, thank you very much

good old big family there!

10/10 would read again.....and I actually might.

The longest run for romance is worth it.

Happy ending to great story. Just how I like it. :)

Honestly probably gonna read again now that its complete.

Such a cute heart warming ending. Good job.

“I told you when I first moved in, didn’t I? That this would be my new hive?”

Hot. Loved the story. Kinda hard to believe in the end of the SMILE part but I love it nonetheless!

It's official, you are my favorite FimFic author.

You are actually AMAZING at writing these types of stories, holy crap.

Razzy #16 · 6 days ago · · ·

D'awwww, a happy ending.

Anon's gonna run out of name ideas at some point.

Wait, no, the honeymoon!
Chrysalis would totally regale the grubs of their multi-week vacation of seemingly endless debauchery and romantic embracing!

Login or register to comment