• Published 27th Nov 2023
  • 256 Views, 2 Comments

The Weight of Knowledge - The Sleepless Beholder



Gabby, a curious harpy, climbs the mountain of the gods to satiate her curiosity. The God of Knowledge is happy to answer.

  • ...
0
 2
 256

A Load to Bear

Mount Equestria, the highest mountain in the known world, a place no sane adventurer would dare try to climb. Harsh winter winds, sharp icy rocks — it may as well be a fully defended fortress.

Yet Gabby still persisted.

Short jumps let her harpy wings guide her just enough to make progress without being blown off. Her sharp claws found careful grips on the rock, digging into it when it wasn’t safe to grab.

She was determined to reach the peak, the most sacred place. The home of the Gods. From the Famous Pillars, to the Royal Sisters, to Cadence and the Ladies of Time. All of them gathered in a single place, just beyond the reach of the mortals that worshiped them. And she was going to be the first to meet them.

Many had tried before, of course, but none of them had succeeded. They had become lost in the mountains, punishment for trying to step on that holy land. But Gabby was different. She wasn’t seeking enlightenment, nor power, nor favor. She simply wanted knowledge. About the gods, their nature, their culture, and how they all came to be.

She’d been told she was insane, that her actions would only land her as one more casualty among the dozens that had tried and failed to reach the heavens. But as she continued jumping and weathering the storm, the peak growing closer and closer, she knew she would do it. Her heart was pure and her intentions honest. She surely would find the answers that she sought.

And as her claw grabbed onto the final ledge of her climb, she knew for sure that she would succeed.

Bringing herself up, Gabby dusted the snow off her body and flapped her frosted wings before venturing forwards. The clouds and frozen winds made it hard to see, but she was confident that the Gods would be close.

As if to confirm her theory, there was a path cleared for her, a pair of golden doors standing imposingly at the end of it. She approached the entrance, mesmerized by the intricate carvings it bore. One of them, the largest, was a symbol she recognized from her studies.

Starswirl the Bearded, the God of Knowledge.

If anyone could give her the answers she was looking for, it would surely be him. The god that knew everything. The famous wizard that thousands sought favor from so he could impart in them their knowledge of magic. The most unreachable of the pantheon.

And Gabby was about to meet him.

She couldn’t be happier.

The golden doors opened for her, and inside she felt the welcome warmth of a hearth burning with blue flames. The room was a spacious circle, the walls covered entirely by shelves filled to the brim with books. Starswirl’s temples were almost always immense libraries, but the contents of this room put all of them to shame. Up top, the ceiling was a dome of crystal clear glass, letting the night sky shine in all its glory, albeit with the moon curiously absent. But in contrast to all of that, the furniture of the room was much less impressive. It was merely a withered desk and a simple armchair where Starswirl was currently sitting, reading one of the millions of books in his possession, not reacting at all to Gabby’s presence.

Steeling her resolve, the valiant harpy took a firm step forward, then another, and another, until she reached the desk. “H-hello… I’m Gabriella,” she said, making her presence known. The god didn’t react. “I… apologize for intruding, but I came here seeking-”

“Do not bother haggling your proposal,” the god finally spoke, cutting her off. “I'm well aware of your intentions. It’s the reason why you were able to even approach this mountain.”

Gabby was taken aback. “I… guess that's to be expected from the God of Knowledge. Will you let me ask my questions then?”

“You've no need for it. These questions have been asked many times before you, and will be asked many times after your departure from this world.”

Gabby was confused. “If they have been asked before-”

“-why is there no record of it?” The god interrupted as he closed his book and it floated back to its shelf. “Because people are very good at forgetting.”

“Really? About something as important as-”

“-how to join the pantheon? What are the duties of a god? What limits them? How did it all start?” The god leaned back on his chair. “The first one is the easiest. You've heard many rumors about it.”

“Yes. We all hear about the great actions that allowed many of them to ascend.” Gabby paused. “A lot of them involve defeating someone truly evil.”

“That's because historians and those who read about history prefer a tale of good overcoming evil.” The god shook his head. “But no. The defeat of evil isn't a necessary step.”

“What about creating something revolutionary? Like Meadowbrook. She became the Goddess of Healing by developing the basics of all medicinal practice.”

Starswirl shook his head. “Closer, but no. There have been many inventions in many fields over the centuries. Sailing. Astronomy. Military. Agriculture. The world evolves at an exponential pace.”

Gabby perked up. “But rarely in the magical aspects,” she pointed out. “There’s a lot left to discover in that field. Is one of your disciples about to become a God of magic?”

Starswirl chuckled. “None of them hold a candle to Clover. The clever traitor.”

“Clover, the clever-” Gabby muttered in confusion. “I’ve never heard of that name.”

“Let's not get off topic.” The god waved his hand dismissively. “What one truly needs to ascend is simply to have the will and resilience to command a domain. Be it the seas, diseases, the sun, or even concepts like strength and hope. If you're able to embody them.”

Gabby's eyes widened. “But then… anyone could-”

“-join the pantheon. Yes.” Starswirl frowned. “A terrifying concept, isn't it?”

“W-why would it be?”

“Anyone,” he pointed out. “From the most powerful kings to the lowliest slaves. From saints to murderers. From heroes to villains. All could hold the power of a god if they truly wished so.”

Gabby felt a shiver running down her spine. “I-I-I’m sure there must be some regulation. Right?”

“Indeed there is. Myself.” Starswirl stood up and started walking around his desk. “My knowledge reaches every corner of this land. I can see and predict every good-for-nothing fool that would try to claim powers that they don't deserve. It's my duty as the God of Knowledge.”

Gabby stepped back to give the god his space. “What about the other gods? Do they also help you?”

“No. Half of them are fools that pick favorites among the rabble that they think are worthy of even a taste of the power they wield.”

Gabby was shocked at the contempt in the god's voice. Gabby knew that when a god or goddess gave a mortal a blessing, they did it out of love or respect. Though Starswirl was the only god that had never given any blessing at all. “That feels… harsh. Aren't you friends with them? At least with the ones that fought alongside you to stop Grogar during his time?”

A genuine smile appeared on Starswirl’s lips. “They’re the most trusted companions I could’ve ever asked for. I owe my life to them.” The smile banished. “But our friendship doesn't excuse their occasional foolishness. Even family needs correcting from time to time so they don't fall into bad habits or poorly elected relationships.” Starswirl looked out of one of the windows, seeing something out in the clouds that Gabby couldn't discern. “I let them have some liberties, of course. I'm not a cruel man. But their cooperation is needed.”

Gabby found herself taking a step back from the god. “Okay… how about the next question. What are your duties?”

Starswirl turned towards Gabby. “Have you not been hearing? I thought I had been clear enough.” He took two steps closer to her. Gabby took another step back. “My duty — my never-ending task — is to make sure this world doesn't fall into chaos. That only those worthy or easy to keep in check reach the higher ranks. I'm the one that keeps this world safe.” Starswirl turned around. “The others have easier duties. Just keeping their domains and attending to their followers and indulging their pet projects they call adopted families.”

“Those are heroes,” Gabby protested.

“Some, yes. But others are either jesters using power for their own entertainment or fools that could be manipulated into doing horrible acts. Or even worse, the ones that decide to do those acts.”

Gabby frowned, her claws clenching. “There has never been a case where-”

“Like I said, you people forget easily. I make sure of it.” Starswirl leaned back into his desk. “Next question, then. What limits do we have?” He scratched his long beard. “Not many. Mostly just other gods disagreeing with our decisions. Doesn't happen often, thankfully. Saves me a lot of headaches. Though there's an annoying one that keeps eluding me. Her ability to make even me forget about things has proven to be my only blindspot.”

Gabby tilted her head. “Which god is that?”

Starswirl grinned. “Your last question. How did it all start?” He lifted his hand and summoned a small orb filled with colors and shapes, all constantly changing and pushing each other, making the sphere vibrate and pulse like it was about to explode. Then, a golden light surrounded it and a rainbow shine covered it, until all of the colors merged into a simple black orb. “It started when I figured out how to tame Discord’s chaotic magic with Harmony's blessing. She was the one that chose us six as her champions, before she became too weak to maintain her influence. One truly ancient god tasking us to keep harmony, peace, order.

“At first, we didn't know how we could achieve it, but I figured it out. How to bend our aspects into a domain. How to use the power of dying gods to create an apotheosis. So… our order was formed. The Chosen of Harmony. Her Elements to continue her will. The Pillars that would support the new world. Even as the world forgot about the war against Grogar. Even as we were forced to take others into our circle. Even as my friends foolishly assumed that our task was over.” Starswirl looked directly into Gabby's eyes. “It's tiring, you know? Having to spin all these plates. To make plans and countermeasures to be sure nothing can step out of line. To keep everyone at my side in check. But that's my duty. The weight of the knowledge that without me, this world would fall apart, and all of our efforts would end up for naught.”

Gabby started backing away towards the exit. “I think that… I think I've heard enough. Thank you for answering my questions.”

“My pleasure,” Starswirl said with a happy smile. “It’s quite cathartic to let it all out from time to time. I was looking forward to this meeting for a while. I'm a bit sad it's over.”

Gabby reached for the handle of the door. “I'm sure we'll meet again when I've more questions.”

“A nice sentiment.” The black orb in Starswirl’s hand flew out towards Gabby and struck true.


Gabriella never returned to her home. She was dismissed as just another casualty among the many who’d foolishly tried to reach the higher powers and, just as Starswirl had said, quickly forgotten.

But the god knew there would be others. So many others. And just like Gabby, he would welcome them. He would share his knowledge with them. And he would make sure that knowledge never reached the wrong ears.

It was a losing battle. The world evolved. People grew and changed. Maybe one day, they would surpass the very gods. He could not see the future, but he knew the past and present. Those were his sword and shield. His tools to keep the world he and his friends had fought so hard to create.

It is his duty. His load to bear. The weight of his knowledge.

And he would not fail.

Comments ( 2 )

That was cruel.

Starswirl chuckled. “None of them hold a candle to Clover. The clever traitor.”
“Clover, the clever-” Gabby muttered in confusion. “I’ve never heard of that name.”

I feel like that's going to come up during Sunset's journey.

A fascinating look at this world and Star Swirl's self-appointed duty in it. His arrogance is truly breathtaking, but is it really arrogance when he can see the consequences his absence would bring? Of course, then we get into the matter of whether his omniscience is colored by his own biases and beliefs. And there's that whole "fueled by the power of dying gods" business...

Excellent portrayal of a necessary evil who sees himself as the greater good. And there's the question of how necessary he really is. The tale as a whole is more of a world building exercise than a story in its own right, but I still enjoyed it thoroughly. Thank you for it, and best of luck in the judging.

11760362
Gods often are. Especially when they're Star Swirl.

Login or register to comment