• Published 2nd Mar 2023
  • 1,394 Views, 160 Comments

You're not Twilight - Miner



A brony's dreams come true or did it?

  • ...
20
 160
 1,394

The Fallen

Author's Note:

Warning this is a sad chapter. Proceed at your own risk.

"AAWWWEE! You two are so cute together!" Screwball says, squealing, causing both ponies to blush, suddenly remembering that they are not alone in the room, "You remind me of how my hubby confessed to me. But with far less crashing into things and a lot more words,"

"Uhm, okay," Aaron dumbly replied,

"Anyways, I have a question that I have been meaning to ask," She clears her table of snacks and drinks before sitting up straight in her chair, "Every time one of you mentions this other Mare, you refer to her as Princess Twilight," She holds two pictures in her hooves one of Twilight sparkle and the other of a mare that has the same color scheme as Twilight but with a darker tone, "Just for clarification. Is she a princess who so happens to be called Twilight? Or are you talking about the Alicorn known as the Princess of Friendship?"

Without missing a beat, Aaron replies, "The Alicorn known as Princess Twilight Sparkle. Why do you ask?"

Her eyes widen at this news before giving them a flat stare, "She is an imposter,"

Both ponies double-take at her response, causing Misty to wonder what she is talking about while enraging Aaron, "Why would you say that?" He gets on the table, forgetting who he was talking to, "You haven't even met or seen her. How can you be so certain that she is not Twilight?"

"How do you know she is who she says she is?" Screwball raises an eyebrow, unimpressed at his outburst, "Last I checked, Princess Twilight ruled over Equestria a thousand years ago before the fall. And somehow, some random mare that looks like her, who comes from outside of her own Kingdom, claims to be said, Princess? Unlikely," She raises a hoof, cutting him off, "Even if you are correct about her being the Princess of Friendship. How do you know that she is Princess Twilight?"

"You wouldn't believe me even if I told you so,"

"Try me,"

Aaron studders trying to explain himself, "Uhm, well, I have documents about her,"

"What kind?" She says, leaning closer to him and making him lean back, "I want details,"

"Uhm, well,"

"Aaron, is there something you want to tell me?" She grins at him, causing him to squirm.

"Not really,"

"Eeh. I will know soon enough," Screwball grabs Aaron's foreleg pulling him over the table as she materializes a pair of tweezers and moves them to his hoof. Aaron tries to protest, but she isn't having it as she repositions herself to lock his foreleg in her armpit, giving her better access to whatever she made in mind for his hoof, "Enough acting like a crybaby. Hold still," She manages to take a piece of his hoof-nail and let him go suddenly to fall off the table with a thud, "Ah, there you are. What are you hiding, my little friend," Screwball says as the center of her eyes expands in a circle like a robot's eye filling half her eyes. Screwball started stating scientific statements that the others in the room couldn't keep up with, only getting bits and pieces. Misty and Aaron stare worriedly at the mare as she finishes up her investigation.

"-twenty-eight years old, favors his right hoof, sucks on his left, and doesn't bathe regularly," Misty gives Aaron an uneasy look as he tries to play it off like she is crazy, "There is also the evidence of magic residue that is used for dimensional travel," Screwball looks at them for a moment scarring them as her almost normal eyes are more frightening than her swirl ones. But then, much to their disgust Screwball licks the nail before glaring at Aaron as her eyes return to normal, "You're a human!"

"How did you-"

"This is an outrage! You must leave at once," She quickly tackles Aaron making a cloud of smoke, causing random noises like a cartoon as Aaron tried to fight back while she was chanting, "OUT! OUT! OUT! OUT! OUT!"

"What is a human?!" Misty asks, completely taken aback at Screwball outburst as the dust settles, revealing that Mistress of Chaos had hog-tying him before she pulls on the rope one last time, tightening them,

"Something that doesn't belong in Equestria, and am I not going to deal with this one! So, I will send this one back where it came from!" Screwball says, causing a portal to appear, and starts dragging him to it. Misty tries to interfere but is trapped in a steal cage with a flick of Screwball's hoof,

Aaron looks on with fear before pleading with the all-powerful mare, "You can't,"

"And why not?" She stops short of the portal, wanting to humor him, "I am the Mistress of Chaos. I could turn all Equestria into cotton candy if I wanted to! Give me one reason!"

"BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING LEFT TO GO BACK TO!" Aaron shouts, causing the room to go quiet. Screwball makes a motion to him to continue, "Look, I've been alone for a very long time. I was 18 years old when I lost my family. I tried to become something back where I came from and failed many times. No one wanted anything to do with me. I had no future there. And then, one night, I was thinking of ending it. But that's when I found Twilight," He looks up to Screwball as she tilts her head, "She saved my life. I came to Equestria to thank her; also so that I could experience the love and friendship that Equestria has to offer,"

"And that is why you fell in love with her," Screwball summarizes, taking a breather as she gets rid of the portal, "Fine. I will let you stay. On the premises that you don't cause any more trouble for my little ponies, got it," She bops his nose as they both smile,

"Got it," Aaron tries to get up but forgets that he is still tied up and fell, "So about the magic spell book?"

"I will talk with the Curator and get back to you later. But Aaron, I meant what I said about your Twilight being an impostor," She flicks her hoof setting Aaron and Misty free,

"How do you know?" Aaron asks as Misty gives him a hug that he returns,

"Trust me. Aaron, she is a fake," She sighs before clapping her hooves together with a smile, "Now that the unpleasantries are out of the way. I will let you two go about your day and enjoy the festival. Also, Aaron. Come back and talk to me so we can fix your housing problem, okay?"

"Got it,"

"Now then, I got some ponies to talk to. Happy Harmony Day," She says before vanishing in bright light with the door to the room returning,

Misty holds the hug for a moment longer before letting go, "You think she is telling the truth about her not being Twilight?"

"I don't know. I wanted her to be wrong, but something is not right. How is she so certain that I am wrong?" Aaron looks down before whispering to himself, "And she spent the rest of her life making a museum,"

"Aaron?" He turns to leave the room without saying another word as Misty reaches out to him but only touches air before giving chase, "Aaron, where are you going!"

"To Castle Friendship!"


Present time with Sunny's group,

Once Screwball let Sunny go, she had her explain everything that happened to them since Aaron came into their lives. Once she had finished her tale, Screwball rubs her eyes with her hoofs, "So let me see if I can get this straight," She points to Sunny, "You pretended to be Twilight Sparkle so that you could gain Aaron's trust to gain his knowledge of ancient Equestria,"

"Yes,"

"And instead of simply asking him for his knowledge and that you were accidentally cosplaying as Twilight Sparkles. You decided that it was better to continue with the lie which led you to discover the location of Canterlot somehow, along was gaining most of his knowledge of ancient Equestria in the process," She starts pacing in front of them, moving quickly wearing out the ground underneath her, "And then once you have the location of Canterlot you were making plans for an exposition to come here; however, Aaron ends up getting himself arrested along with Misty for escaping jail. As a result, delay your plans of coming here while they serve community service. But it all didn't matter because you all got here by sheer coincidence. After all, you were looking for Aaron and his group after they got lost in the forest for using a stolen prototype motorized wagon while still serving their sentence?"

She stops in the middle of her trench, grabbing her head, "DID I MISS SOMETHING?!" Screwball throws her hooves above her head, causing an explosion behind her, scaring everypony, "I mean, sure, it totally sounds like something I would come up with, but this was not my idea. What is wrong with you, ponies?"

Everypony has a look of embarrassment and confusion as to the certain events that led them here, "I was going to tell the truth," Sunny insisted,

"But you should have done that at the beginning," Screwball scolded her, "Now look at the mess you are in,"

"I know. I'm going to make things right,"

"Don't say that to me. You got a stallion to talk to. However, I think you might be a bit late on that,"

"What are you talking about?" Hitch asks,

"Last time I saw Aaron. He and Misty were getting ready for the Harmony Festival. However, it wasn't later that I discovered he and Missy had spent the rest of the day going through Equestria's History at the Crystal Museum. And from what my daughter told me. He's not doing so well. I believe her words were that he is suffering from denial."

"Denial?" Hitch says as everypony look at each other with worry. Sunny speaks up,

"Screwball, where is he?"

She shrugged her shoulders before remembering something, "Right, he should be with everypony else. At The Fallen,"

"The Fallen, what's that?" Zipp asks,

"It's a memorial cemetery we ponies of Ponyville made to honor those who gave their lives during the fall of Canterlot. And every year on the second day of the Harmony festival, we come back to Canterlot to pay our respects to the fallen,"

"Which way to The Fallen?" Sunny pleads with her,

"Let's see you go down this street, go about three blocks, take a right, go around another two blocks, then the left until you see a fork in the road; you want to take a right, and then once you find the massive crater where the mountain used to be, you are there," She finishes saying with a smile before noticing that she lost her audience half through her explanation, "However, since you are new here, I would suggest just follow everybody else," She gestures to the small group of ponies walking down the street nearby, "I'll be making my way there myself, but I need to pick up a couple of ponies. Take care," With that, Screwball disappears in a flash of light,

Sunny's group looks at each other and silently agrees to follow the ponies. They walked for a good fifteen minutes passing through the ruins of Canterlot and what is left of the castle; before long, they could see the gathering of ponies around a Giant Red Gazebo in the middle of the biggest crater they had ever seen. The entirety of Canterlot could fit within this crater with room to spare. The Gazebo sits on a solid stone foundation thirty feet by thirty feet by ten feet with steps leading to the center on all sides where the monument of The Fallen stands. Candles line the edges of the steps of the Gazebo, with offerings of flowers and trinkets surrounding the monument of The Fallen.

Some ponies would walk up the steps and offer their respects to the monument while others wait at the Gazebo's base for their return. Some ponies would be singing songs that Sunny and her friends never heard before while others played instruments feeling the atmosphere of a tender afternoon. Sunny and her friends waited for their turn to walk up the stairs to see The Fallen.

Once they had climbed the steps, they could see at the center of the Gazebo stands fifteen-foot statues of four alicorns back-to-back facing East, West, North, and South, with two of them taller than the others. Even as statues, you can see how their mains and tails blow into the breeze, their wings above their heads with their forelegs hanging in the air as if they're soaring into the sky. A golden plack lies beneath each one with the names of their respective alicorns written in gold. The last final feature of all four of these alicorns was their faces. There were no traces of anger, frustration, sadness, or morning. No, all four of these princesses were smiling.

And in front of one of the alicorn statues were two familiar ponies. One of them was trying to comfort the other as he stared at the Princess's name before him. The mare took notice of their company and struggled to decide whether to inform a stallion of their presence or remain silent. However, this proved unnecessary; as if suddenly realizing they were behind him, Aaron turns to face them. He recognizes some of the ponies before him, all except for one, but even with the change in color scheme, he knows who she is. After all, he's been talking to her for the past two weeks. He gets up and moves to them, revealing the name of the alicorn statue, 'Friendship is Magic, Twilight Sparkles, The Princess of Friendship,"

Sunny looks away, overwhelmed with guilt. This is not even close to how Sunny imagines telling Aaron the truth, but before she could say anything, he spoke with a cold and empty voice,

"You are not Twilight,"

End of book 1

Comments ( 9 )

"You are not Twilight,"

We both wished that wasn't so

Look's like the cupcakes finally hit the fan.

Poor Aaron, I feel bad for him as he's just learned that Sunny lied to him when she should have told him the truth and now she's reaped what she sowed.

4… I wonder where Flurry is at? Man, can’t wait to see book 2 since this is pretty good story. Man, Aaron and Sunny will have it rough for sure… Makes me wonder if Aaron will go crazy enough to try to do something about the situation to get Twilight back :twilightblush:

Welp, can’t wait next time for “You aren’t Twilight” 2 written by Screwball :pinkiehappy:

awesome chapter for a amazing story and the cliffhanger is grate.

i am really liking Screwball

Woooooo that was an adventure.

"BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING LEFT TO GO BACK TO!" Aaron shouts, causing the room to go quiet. Screwball makes a motion to him to continue, "Look, I've been alone for a very long time. I was 18 years old when I lost my family. I tried to become something back where I came from and failed many times. No one back where I came from wanted anything to do with me. I had no future there. And then, one night, I was thinking of ending it. But that's when I found Twilight," He looks up to Screwball as she tilts her head, "She saved my life. I came to Equestria to thank her; also so that I could experience the love and friendship that Equestria has to offer,"

11634021
I don’t get it. Where was Ponyville mentioned in those sentences?

11740577
I think they are stating that the statement in the quote depicts Ponyville.

Login or register to comment