• Published 27th Sep 2022
  • 366 Views, 22 Comments

The Mare Who Knew Too Little - Alabenson



A case of mistaken identity pulls a blissfully unaware Fluttershy into a world of danger and intrigue.

  • ...
0
 22
 366

Notorious

“My word, devoured by his own basilisk?” Highly Classified said as Northern Spy finished recounting the circumstances surrounding the destruction of Convoluted Plan’s base.

“In a single bite, no less. Honestly, I feel sorry for the poor creature. The basilisk, I mean. Eating somepony that unpleasant is bound to give it indigestion. Or gas, at the very least, given how full of hot air he was.”

“Normally, I’d say making light of a pony’s rather gruesome death is in poor taste. But, in light of the fact that the stallion in question was attempting to seize control of Equestria’s food supply, I think I can overlook it this time. Now the, there is still the matter of our mysterious mercenary.”

“La Mariposa? As far as I can tell, she slipped out in all the chaos. It doesn’t even look like she helped herself to Convoluted Plan’s private vault on the way out. We found one guard who verified that La Mariposa was the one who released the basilisk, and according to him she had it under control somehow. But, as to where she went afterwards…” Northern Spy simply shrugged.

“I can’t say I’m all that happy about having a pony like that on the loose and us not having the foggiest where she is. What would you say to having a team put together to track this may of mystery down?”

“To be frank, I’d say it would be a bit like sending a herd of foals into the Everfree Forest look for an Ursa Major. If they’re very lucky, it would all be a colossal waste of time for everypony involved. If not…this is a mare who cut a swath of death and destruction through multiple teams of assassins before infiltrating and destroying a heavily guarded compound alone and unarmed. Quite frankly, I think we should just thank Celestia she seems to be on our side.”

“Well, I can see where you’re coming from. But, major incidents always seem to cause more issues further down the line. I just shudder to think about what the fallout for a mess like this will look like.”

*********

In the wake of the locust swarms, escaped basilisk and general affiliated mayhem, the late Convoluted Plan’s compound had been left a complete wreck. Curious journalists were told that Convoluted Plan had been involved in illegally keeping magical beasts as pets, and a series of cascading enclosure failures had led to his untimely demise, along with the destruction of his home.

The best lies always did have an element of truth to them, after all.

Now, the ruins of the compound were filled with teams of police ponies, overseen by a hooffull of well-dressed mares and stallions that everypony seemed to pointedly pretend not to notice. This suited these ponies just fine, and with each of them trying to out nondescript the other, nopony seemed to notice one particular mare with a chrysalis Cutie Mark. The mare did little to interact with anypony, which suited the police ponies just fine; it had been stressed to them that it was in their best interests to avoid asking too many questions and to leave their mysterious overseers be. Eventually, the nameless mare seemed to have whatever answers she was looking for and left the site without saying a word. It was only when the mare was some distance from the site that she allowed herself to relax.

“I knew bailing on that job was a good idea, ‘just a simple delivery’ my plot! Funny how Double Helix left out the part where I’d be crossing Convoluted Plan bad enough for him to have his entire organization out for blood. Normally, I’d just say arrow dodged and move on, but…” the mare tapped her hoof irritably. “Who the hay went in there impersonating me? I wouldn’t mind the boost to my reputation, but all that destruction? And not asking for a single bit extra? That’s the sort of thing that sets very unreasonable expectations for my clients. I’ve got to find this psycho and fast, otherwise things could get really messy. I just really don’t want to think about what kind of messed up nonsense a pony like that gets up to when she isn’t on the clock.”

*********

“More tea, Discord?”

“Thank you, Fluttershy. Now, tell me happened after you extricated yourself from your little case of mistaken identity.”

“Oh, well, luckily I was able to see Trottingham from there, so I was able to fly back on my own. It was a little far, but I still made it back to my hotel before it got dark. The next day, I went back to see Natural Harmony to let her know about Charon so she could see about getting him a proper home, and after that I took a train back to Ponyville. And, to be honest, I’m really glad to be back home. As nice as it was to have a change of scenery, I think I much prefer being here at home.” Fluttershy paused to pluck a flying napkin out of the air to wipe away a few stray crumbs. “Things just make so much more sense here.”

Comments ( 6 )

This definitely is one of the best Fluttershy stories that even Fluttershy isn’t aware about the whole plot at all. I don’t think I’ve seen much stories like that since this story feels like it was inspired by Mr. Bean or other films with the same premise.

Nice to see that La Mariposa came to the scene and seeing what happened when likely she might not had been able to do the things that Fluttershy did makes sense. I wonder if they’ll meet? Btw does Fluttershy know about ponies mistakenly think she was a different pony or she didn’t fully understood what Discord just say?

If this story gets a sequel it would be really cool. Another adventure with Fluttershy not knowing what’s going on :rainbowlaugh:

I think you meant “mare” unless the pony has an accent?

What would you say to having a team put together to track this (may) of mystery down?”

Heh, I'm pretty sure that, in the end, not even La Mariposa will want to mess with "La Mariposa"...not that Fluttershy would ever be aware of it, of course. :rainbowlaugh:

And alls well that ends well...for those who matter, at least. :trollestia:

this story had me laughing my arse off, all the chain reaction events happening, ponies believeing fluttershy is the most ruthless coldblooded pony in equestria

Got damb, another absolute comedy banger of a chapter!!

“Things just make so much more sense here.”

Excellent ending! :rainbowlaugh:

This story could benefit from a proofreader or editor to help fix all the typos. They're minor, but one doesn't want them breaking a reader's immersion in the story.

Login or register to comment