• Published 18th Sep 2012
  • 22,370 Views, 3,063 Comments

Flash Fog - Kwakerjak



Fluttershy must deal with an unusually thick fog as it approaches Ponyville.

  • ...
38
 3,063
 22,370

PreviousChapters Next
September 1 – 11:13 AM

Pencil Pusher didn’t have much time to properly identify the multicolored blur that had slammed into him, mostly because his flight trajectory was a bigger concern. He barely had time to register that it had changed from “in the general direction of Fluttershy” to “uh, down-ish, I guess?” before he crashed into the surface of the fog. Pencil hadn’t flown this fast since his days as a benchwarmer on the junior varsity flight team, which was actually rather fortunate, since the impact temporarily compacted the fog, which bounced him back out into the air instead of enveloping him in its mists. What was significantly more unfortunate was the fact that all the extra exertion had made him feel rather lightheaded, which in turn made reorientation rather taxing.

Eventually, he managed to clear his head—just in time to collide with an isolated white object on the ground.

September 1 – 11:14 AM

Fluttershy rubbed her hooves together nervously as she flew back and forth over Rarity’s chair, making various whimpers that clearly signaled her vague sense of unease to anypony who might be in hearing range. Regrettably, this category included Rarity, who was not very appreciative of having her mind continually distracted from images of a sophisticated city mare falling for a simple (yet unquestionably hunky) country blacksmith, especially since the two characters were getting close to the section of the story that was completely inappropriate for foals (i.e., “the good part”).

Eventually, the fashionista was left with no choice but to turn down the corner of her page and set her novel aside. “Is something the matter, Fluttershy?”

“Oh, um, no, not really. I mean, besides the massive fog bank that looks like it’s getting bigger and hasn’t gone away yet and it’s going to ruin everything and it’s all my fault—”

“Would you like me to fetch my fainting couch for you?” Rarity asked drolly.

“Um, no, that’s alright,” Fluttershy said as she landed. “I’m just a little nervous, that’s all.”

“That’s perfectly understandable, but I daresay you’ll need to find a more constructive way to deal with your emotions. After all, other ponies are looking to you for your leadership.”

Fluttershy stared at the ground. “That’s because I’m the fog specialist, so I’m supposed to know everything.”

“Darling, I know you’re troubled by the situation, but it isn’t as though the answers are just going to fall out of the sky.” Apparently, fate had grown tired of that particular figure of speech, as it chose that particular moment to knock Rarity onto the ground in the most ironic way possible.

“Urgh...” Pencil Pusher groaned as the dust cloud around him started to settle down. “That was... unpleasant. But at least I landed on something soft this time.”

Something soft, on the other hoof, had a rather different take on the matter. “Would you kindly get off of me?! And watch where you’re putting those hooves!”

“Yipe!” Pencil Pusher lept back into the air, giving Rarity the chance to survey the damage that comes from having an out-of-control pegasus smack into your side and grind you into the dirt as he skids to a halt.

“Ah! My coat is completely soiled! It seems that I will have to make a trip to the spa today. And my mane! I spent a solid forty-five minutes getting it just so, and now it looks like I just rolled out of bed... and into a pigsty,” she added as she plucked some of the larger clumps of dirt out of her mane with her magic. “I swear, if I end up with split ends over this, so help me...”

Concerned though he was by Rarity’s ominous mumbling, Pencil Pusher still had a job to do. “Do you know where I can find Fluttershy?”

“I’m right here, Pencil.”

The stallion froze as he heard Fluttershy’s voice. She called me “Pencil....” Fortunately for his professional reputation, Pencil Pusher managed to drag his mind back to matters of more immediate concern. “Fluttershy, I’ve got the formula from Caligo here,” he said, silently thanking Celestia that the thick envelope hadn’t fallen out of his saddlebag in all of the chaos.

“Oh, thank you very much,” Fluttershy said nervously as she accepted the surprisingly heavy package. “I’ll have a look at it later.”

“Um, actually, you might want to have a look at it now,” Pencil Pusher replied uneasily.

“Why?”

“Well, I’m not sure, because you’re the only one outside of Caligo who’s authorized to read the formula, but the executive seemed to think it was really important that I get this to you as fast as I could. As in, ‘no time to think about how you’re going to stop’ fast.” Pencil Pusher hoped that the last sentence would be enough to make his crash landing seem heroic, rather than pitiful.

Fluttershy was about to open the envelope when she suddenly froze. “Oh, I just realized; they probably won’t want me to read this where anypony else might see it. Um, do you two mind if I go off by myself for a bit?”

Given the way Rarity was glowering at him, Pencil Pusher did indeed mind, but he wasn’t really in any position to do anything about it. “You’re the boss, Fluttershy.”

“Okay,” Fluttershy answered with an uncertain nod. “If anypony needs me, I’ll be in that grove of trees over there,” she said before flying off to finally learn just what she was up against.

There was an awkward silence for about thirty seconds before Pencil Pusher broke it. “So, uh, how has your morning gone?”

In retrospect, this was not the smartest way for Pencil Pusher to strike up a conversation with a mare who was obviously irritated with him, as Rarity proceeded to launch into a highly detailed screed about her activities that morning, making sure to point out precisely how he’d ruined her efforts with his carelessness. Somewhere around the ten minute mark, however, it started to get tedious.

“...and I brushed each lock of my mane fifty times before setting it with Pomade’s Mousse. Have you any idea how many bits that costs?! And then, of course, I had to repeat the process with my tail—are you yawning?!”

“Huh?” Pencil Pusher asked as he quickly moved his hoof away from his mouth. “Uh, sorry.”

“Sir, I am a lady in the middle of a diatribe! How dare you not give me your full attention!”

“Look, Miss Rarity, with all due respect, I basically got your point a while ago. I should have paid more attention to where I was flying.”

“You’re darned right you should have!” shouted a new, rougher, and even more irritated voice. Pencil Pusher turned his head and saw Rainbow Dash, flying towards him with a scowl to match Rarity’s.

For her part, Rarity’s attention immediately zeroed in the most pertinent detail. “My goodness! What happened to your fog suit? It’s all scuffed!”

“Yeah, that sort of thing happens when you accidentally fly into the ground after getting knocked for a loop by a high-speed desk jockey. Mr. Pusher here collided with me over the fog bank while he was making his descent.”

“More irresponsibility! Do you know how long it takes me to help Rainbow Dash get that suit on in the first place?”

“Is... is it really that important that the suit be shiny?” Pencil Pusher asked.

“Of course! Do you really think I’d let one of my friends wear something that hideous if it wasn’t absolutely necessary?”

Pencil Pusher sighed. “Look, I’m sorry, okay? I just really needed to get that cloud formula to Fluttershy as fast as possible.”

“Whoa! Easy there, loverboy,” Rainbow Dash said. “I know you’re all excited to give it a shot, but I think Flutters is a bit busy at the moment.”

“That’s right,” Rarity said, “you can’t just think of y—hang on. ‘Loverboy’?”

Pencil Pusher groaned as Rainbow Dash explained, “Oh yeah. Mr. Bureaucrat here is hoping that by going the extra mile, Fluttershy will be so impressed that she’ll agree to a date.”

“A date?” Rarity asked. “That’s it?”

“Well, it’s not just that,” Pencil Pusher said awkwardly. “I mean, Fluttershy seems really nice, and if there’s something there, I wouldn’t mind, you know, something more long term. But you’ve got to start somewhere, right?”

Rarity didn’t answer right away, but then again, she didn’t really need to say anything. The fact that her skeptical scowl had morphed into an ecstatic smile in an instant was enough to convey exactly how she felt about this. “That... is... the most fabulously wonderful thing I’ve ever heard!” she shouted, galloping over to Pencil Pusher and squeezing him in the tightest hug she could manage.

“Ugh... can’t... breathe... Rainbow Dash... help....”

Rainbow Dash, however, had doubled over in an obvious effort to suppress peals of laughter. That said, the brief flashes of eye contact she made with Pencil Pusher convinced the stallion that this was precisely what she’d hoped would happen when she let Rarity in on his secret.

Rarity, meanwhile, had already begun giving advice. “Now, for the most part, I think you’re going about this the right way; if you’re too aggressive, you’ll just kill the relationship before it has a chance to truly blossom, especially since her experience with that motivational speaker has made Fluttershy overly sensitive to hyper-assertiveness. That said, you’ll definitely want to make the first move, since she’s definitely the type of mare who’d enjoy being swept off her hooves, though preferably not by crashing into her.”

“But that was—”

Rarity, however, didn’t even pause to let her new protégé get a word in. “Now, given that you don’t exactly have a draft pony build, you’ll no doubt need to use charm and wit as you win her over. Fortunately for you, I’m the most charming and witty pony I’ve ever met, so I can coach you in that department. If you own a thesaurus, I suggest you start memorizing it. The more synonyms you know, the more cultured and erudite you’ll sound.”

“So... Fluttershy likes the intellectual type?” Pencil Pusher asked.

“Er... well, I’m not sure. She doesn’t really discuss her taste in stallions very often—though I am fairly certain that she is indeed interested in stallions, so you’ve definitely got a good head start on that front.”

Rainbow Dash rolled her eyes. “Look, Pencil. You know how there’s this stereotype about mares who ignore nice guys and go for bad colts instead?”

“Yeah,” he replied, his ears drooping forlornly.

“Well, Fluttershy has absolutely no interest in bad colts whatsoever. She wants a nice guy.”

Rarity’s eyes widened. “She told you that?”

“No, but she didn’t have to. In all the time I’ve known her, the stallions she’s shown the most interest in have always been nice guys. The problem is that most of those nice guys were almost as shy as she is, so nothing ever got started. Bad colts, on the other hoof, just make her nervous.”

“Are you sure?” Rarity asked. “She does seem to get along with some rather intimidating animals at times.”

“Yeah, so? I’m talking about ponies here,” Rainbow Dash said.

Pencil Pusher decided to enter the conversation again. “So, what are you saying? I should be myself?”

“Well, yeah. After all, if you—”

“Rainbow Dash!” The three ponies’ heads all turned as Fluttershy flew back into the clearing.

“Oh, hey there, Flutters,” Rainbow Dash said. “Is everything—”

“There’s no time to explain! We need to stop seeding the fog right now, before it’s too late!”

“Huh? What do you mean?”

“The fog... we’re only making it worse!”

September 1 – 11:25 AM

Hard Hitter was in a rather foul mood as he sifted through a stack of files in the Weather Department’s archives. Somehow, his normally flawless technique of badgering an interviewee with aggressive questions had failed, and his efforts to convince himself that what’s-his-name had directed him to the archives so that he could “leak” information about Fluttershy without technically “leaking” anything had fallen rather flat, as the past two hours hadn’t produced anything that was even remotely scandalous.

Sure, there were quite a few things that were unusual, most notably the fact that, despite having been certified as a fog specialist two years earlier, this was the first time that Fluttershy had been called into active service. Hard Hitter had been all but certain that this was evidence that she’d been using her pull as a celebrity to snag a high-profile job over other, more qualified ponies, but when he ran this idea by the archivist, the old stallion merely chuckled derisively and explained that the more experienced specialists were legitimately unavailable.

Without any juicy internecine squabbling to uncover, the intrepid-yet-stymied reporter had been reduced to going through lists of certification records, hoping that Fluttershy’s entry would show some evidence that something inappropriate had been going on. This might not have been so bad were it not for the fact that there were so few fog specialists that their records were lumped in with every other miscellaneous expert who’d applied for certification over the past few years. And though it would have been a coup to discover that Fluttershy’s qualifications were, in fact, nonexistent, verifying it would mean having to spend even more hours checking and double-checking to make sure that there hadn’t been any oversight, and by the time Hard Hitter was done with that, the public’s interest could easily have moved on elsewhere. More importantly, though, using that method to prove his suspicions was boring.

Also, it was irrelevant, because Hard Hitter somehow managed to spot Fluttershy’s name in that bureaucratic morass. At first, it appeared to be another dead end: all of the appropriate information was present, with nary an asterisk to indicate that any chicanery had gone on. Hard Hitter groaned in frustration and was just about to close the file when he glanced again at the entry and suddenly froze. He scanned the words which had caught his attention, silently mouthing them as he mentally worked through their implications. As he did so, the corners of Hard Hitter’s turned upwards into a vindictive smile.

Perhaps this story had wings, after all....

PreviousChapters Next