• Published 18th Sep 2012
  • 22,359 Views, 3,063 Comments

Flash Fog - Kwakerjak



Fluttershy must deal with an unusually thick fog as it approaches Ponyville.

  • ...
38
 3,063
 22,359

PreviousChapters Next
September 1 – 12:36 PM

With Fluttershy’s personal issues finally out of the way, the committee of friends finally could sit down and start brainstorming possible solutions. For the most part, it was Twilight, Rainbow Dash, Applejack, Rarity, and Pinkie Pie who threw out suggestions, while Fluttershy quietly listened and evaluated their ideas, occasionally interjecting with a bit of technical information to keep them from focusing on plans that were more plausible in theory than reality. Pencil Pusher, meanwhile, sat in a corner, scribbling notes on each idea to assist him when it was time for him to think of ways to get around the inevitable bureaucratic hurdles back in Cloudsdale.

Unfortunately, twenty minutes of tossing around ideas hadn’t yet produced a plan that was viable enough for Fluttershy’s endorsement. Rainbow Dash suggested various schemes centered around freezing the fog, but Fluttershy pointed out that the formula was designed for the extremes of desert weather, which meant that the fog could easily survive temperatures below freezing, because deserts could get very cold at night. Rarity’s idea of distributing premium fog suits on a large scale was shot down not only because they were impractical for everyday wear, but because “ignoring” the fog would do nothing to help the earth pony rock farmers who risked hypothermia every time they went outdoors to tend their crops.

For a while, it seemed like asking Princess Celestia to help out might get the job done, but Twilight Sparkle pointed out that increasing the sun’s intensity could simply result in a repeat of their first plan, except that the wider scale could cause the entire fog bank to set faster. Instead, she favored using electrolysis to separate the water in the fog into hydrogen and oxygen. However, the fog was still made up of separate water droplets, which meant that there wouldn’t be a complete circuit to allow for an electric current (and even if it was feasible, it would still be extremely dangerous for the rock farmers inside the fog bank).

“Ooh! I’ve got an idea!” Pinkie Pie suddenly shouted as she bounced in her chair, waving her hoof in the air like a precocious schoolfilly.

There was a brief pause as the other ponies considered whether it would be worthwhile to listen; Pinkie Pie’s ideas tended to be rather hit-or-miss. Then again, when her ideas “hit,” they tended to be really effective, so it wasn’t long before Applejack broke the silence: “All right, Pinkie. Let’s hear it.”

“Okay, you know how it’s a lot easier to eat a pan of brownies if you cut them into tiny squares first? Well, I guess you’d also have to take them out of the pan, and maybe put on some chocolate frosting and sprinkles and get a glass of milk to wash it down and—”

“Yes, Pinkie, we understand the concept,” Rarity cut in. “Please, continue with your explanation.”

“Well, what if you used really fast bursts of wind to chop up the fog into little foglets? Then you could just move them out of the way until the magic wore off.”

“I don’t think that’ll work too well,” Rainbow Dash said. “The strongest winds in Equestria are the north winds from the Crystal Mountains, but they take way too long to change speed for the kind of thing you’re talking about.”

“Um, okay, but can’t you just take a local wind and make it a little bit stronger?”

Rainbow tapped a hoof against her chin as she considered this. “I guess in theory we could redirect the crosswind that keeps clouds out of the Everfree Forest, but I still don’t think that’s a good idea. It’s not like we’d have a place to move that fog to, and since these are construction materials we’re talking about, there’s no telling how long it would last, even if it was broken up into chunks. Besides, if we move the Everfree crosswind, some of the stray bits of the fog might get blown in there, so that’s definitely a no-go.”

“Why’s that?” Pinkie asked, looking disappointed that her idea was apparently not as super-duper as she thought it was.

“It’s the Everfree Forest,” Rainbow Dash said. “Pegasi have no way to control normal clouds in there. I don’t think anypony would want to risk the chance of this stuff getting in there.”

Fluttershy leaned back in her chair, listening quietly to the conversation. Though Pinkie Pie’s idea had been somewhat creative, she had to agree with Rainbow Dash’s assessment; not only would pulling it off before the fog solidified completely be a logistical nightmare, but the resulting clouds would need to be continually moved around Equestria’s skies for decades, since there was no ecosystem—not even the desert—that called for partly cloudy skies one hundred percent of the time. The fact that these clouds would have to be kept isolated from normal clouds in order to keep them from regenerating their structural integrity only made matters even more complicated. Still, something seemed off about Rainbow Dash’s reply. The big picture was right, but Fluttershy couldn’t shake the feeling that her friend couldn’t see the trees for...

...the forest.

Fluttershy’s ears suddenly perked up and her eyes widened. “The Everfree Forest,” she said out loud, surprising the other ponies in the room.

“Um, what about the Everfree Forest?” Twilight Sparkle asked, looking rather confused.

“That’s it,” Fluttershy responded. “That’s the solution! We can blow the fog right into the Everfree Forest!”

“What?!” responded all the other ponies in unison.

“Now, if we aren’t careful, this could get out of control,” Fluttershy admitted. “For one thing, we might need gale-force north winds to push all that fog over the mountains....”

Rainbow Dash flew out of her chair and hovered over the table in front of her friend. “Fluttershy, you can’t be serious! There’s no telling what that fog will do when it hits the Everfree.”

“Oh, but that’s not really the case, when you stop and think about it,” Fluttershy corrected her friend in a gentle but unusually confident voice. “We know exactly how fog behaves in the Everfree Forest, because we saw fog in there the night we defeated Nightmare Moon. Since weather magic doesn’t work in Everfree, it’ll behave like natural fog and start dissipating into the atmosphere.”

Twilight shook her head. “Fluttershy, you don’t know that for sure. Nopony’s done any research on weather in the Everfree, and you’re only working from a single instance of first-hoof experience.”

“It’s not just my experience. I asked Zecora about fog in the Everfree Forest when I was studying for my certification, since it wasn’t covered in my course and I thought it might be on the exam. From her descriptions, there doesn’t seem to be much that’s unusual about it, other than the fact that pegasi aren’t controlling it.”

Rainbow Dash didn’t seem altogether convinced by this. “But still, you wanna send something deadly into something else that’s also deadly? That’s, like, double the deadly!”

Fluttershy shook her head. “Rainbow, the reason pegasi can’t control the weather in the Everfree Forest is because pegasus weather magic stops working once clouds cross its border. If it just changed how the magic works, somepony would have developed a new set of guidelines so we could manage the Forest’s weather by now.” Fluttershy’s voice, while still quiet, seemed to have lost a lot of the ethereal qualities that usually made her seem more fragile than a wet tissue.

“This is all well an’ good,” Applejack said, “but ain’t it gonna be kinda complicated to blow fog around Ponyville to get to the Forest in the first place?”

Fluttershy gave a small nod. “You’re right, that would be complicated. Adjusting the local winds that drastically might take the better part of a week, and the fog will probably set by then.”

“So you’re giving up on your idea, then?” Rarity asked.

“Oh, no,” Fluttershy said. “That wasn’t the idea I was suggesting. I’m suggesting that we reduce the Everfree crosswind and have some north winds blow the fog over the mountains and directly through Ponyville.”

“What?!” came another shocked unison cry.

“It shouldn’t be too difficult, actually. The fog isn’t setting regularly, like it would at a construction site, so that means that there’s structural weaknesses. I’ll need to have Twilight do some math... um, I can tell her what the properties of the fog are without getting in trouble, right?”

Pencil Pusher seemed a little startled to have been addressed; he hadn’t really taken much part in the brainstorming. “Uh, no, that shouldn’t be a problem, as long as you don’t talk about the pegasus magic Caligo actually used on the clouds.”

“Fluttershy,” Rarity said, “please be reasonable. That fog put Pinkie Pie in serious danger, and you’re now talking about sending it directly through Ponyville itself.”

“I... I know it’s risky,” Fluttershy said, her voice briefly regaining its usual wavering quality, “but I’m supposed to be doing what’s best for Equestria, not just Ponyville. Besides, an unusually cold, damp mass of cloud stuck in the middle of Equestria is probably going to wreak havoc on nearby weather systems, so leaving it anywhere near Ponyville could damage local crops. No plan is perfect, but I think this is the most likely one to work. And... well... this is my decision, isn’t it?”

Rainbow Dash sighed. “You’re right. This is your decision, and you are the most qualified pony to make it. Alright, let’s do this.” Once the head of the local weather team was settled, the other ponies acquiesced, even if a few still had misgivings.

“Thank you, everypony,” Fluttershy said with a smile. “This plan is going to work. I know it. I just need your help to make sure everything goes smoothly.”

“Okay, Fluttershy,” Twilight said. “What can we do?”

“Well, at the moment, my plan is really vague, and I’ll need to make it more specific in order to make sure everything’s coordinated. That’s where you come in,” Fluttershy said, nodding in Twilight’s direction. “I need you to do some calculations for me so we can find out exactly what we need to do and when we need to do it.”

Twilight nodded. “Do you want the numbers for ideal conditions, or should I calculate probabilities and run some simulations first?”

Fluttershy bit her lower lip for a second or two as she considered this option. “Give me the numbers for the worst-case scenario first, then start running simulations if you have time.”

“Got it,” Twilight responded as she walked over to a chalkboard and started to draw matrices.

“Rainbow Dash,” Fluttershy continued, “I need you to gather data for Twilight, and then meet with your weather team and have them get ready to shut off the crosswind. Once those plans are in place, make sure that local cloud houses have their elevation raised; we don’t want anypony’s home getting destroyed by the fog if we can help it.”

“Gotcha. Will I need to keep Twilight updated with data?”

Fluttershy sighed, “That would be nice, but you’ll be rather busy.”

“I think I can help with that,” Rarity said. “You gave me enough material for two or three more fog suits. Rainbow Dash can send a few of her associates to the Carousel Boutique, and I’ll outfit them so they can assist in monitoring the fog as well.”

Fluttershy smiled. “Thank you, Rarity. Applejack,” she said as she turned her head towards the farm pony, “I need you to... um... get some volunteers, I suppose. We need earth ponies and unicorns who are willing to patrol Ponyville while the fog is moving through town, to make sure that nopony is caught outdoors.”

Applejack pushed her hat back and nodded. “I reckon I can handle that,” she said.

“I’ll help you!” Pinkie Pie added gleefully.

“I’m sorry, Pinkie Pie, but I need you to do something else,” Fluttershy said.

“Aw, I wanted to throw a ‘fog patrol’ party,” the pink earth pony said glumly.

“Actually, I do need you to throw a party,” Fluttershy told her with a smile.

“Really?” Pinkie Pie said, her eyes widening.

Fluttershy nodded. “That fog is going to be extremely dangerous for any foal who gets caught out in it. Hypothermia will probably set in quicker with them, and on top of that, the inside of the fog is particularly dangerous for any pegasus who isn’t wearing full safety gear. I need you to throw a party so amazing, that none of Ponyville’s foals will be curious enough to wander out into the fog. In other words... I need you to throw your biggest and best party ever, and I need you to pull it together as soon as possible.”

Pinkie Pie looked uncharacteristically intimidated by this request. “Um, how soon is ‘as soon as possible,’ exactly?”

Fluttershy sighed. “Well, this is just an educated guess based on the information Caligo Manufacturing gave me, but I think we have at least two days before the fog sets permanently. But, um, I’d prefer we do it before then, just in case I’m wrong, so I’m hoping to do everything tomorrow.”

“Oh, um, okay...” Pinkie trailed off for a bit as she thought about the situation. “Does it have to be my best party ever? Don’t get me wrong—I’d love to do it, but I normally have to plan my really big parties months in advance.”

“What are you talking about, darling?” Rarity asked. “You put together Princess Cadance and Shining Armor’s wedding reception in a matter of days.”

“Yeah, but Celestia was paying the bills. The Cakes could never afford to pay me that kind of money for working in their shop.”

“I think you’re forgetting that Fluttershy is making this request in her capacity as a Weather Department official,” Pencil Pusher said. “Specifically, one who has access to the DOW’s emergency spending fund.” He shuffled through a stack of papers and extracted a form. “Just get her to sign off on all your expenses and send the bill to Cloudsdale when you’re done. As long as you don’t go too far overboard, nobody will so much as bat an eye.”

Pinkie’s eyes widened almost as much as her smile as she let out a squeal of delight. “I won’t let you down, Fluttershy!” she shouted with glee. “I’m going to throw the partiest party in the history of partying! This... will be my masterpiece!”

“That’s just what I wanted to hear,” Fluttershy said. “Well, I guess we’d better get started, then. Pencil, can you take care of the paperwork for me?”

“Already on it,” the stallion replied. “I’ll get back to you in an hour or two so you can sign everything.”

“That’s good to hear,” Fluttershy said. “And, um, if you all don’t mind, I’d better let Mayor Mare know what’s going on.” As the meeting broke up and the friends prepared to take on their various assignments, Fluttershy paused in front of a small mirror to adjust her cravat, which had gotten rather crooked as a result of her repeated tuggings during her breakdown. Rarity was right, she silently admitted to herself. I really do look like I know what I’m doing.

Author's Note:

In case you're wondering, I'm assuming that all that extra fog coming into the Everfree Forest won't be a problem for the Tree of Harmony.

Thanks go out to my readers, who did an admirable job of coming up with ideas for the brainstorming session. Special thanks go to those whose ideas I ended up using: Posted, Bulbasaur, Comicfan616, and Cal Iaponia, who suggested various plans centered around freezing the fog; PocoRitardo, who thought of distributing fog suits; Admiral Biscuit and Burning Skyway, who suggested letting Celestia take care of the mess, and Silent Sir 224, who suggested electrolysis. In addition, a lot of folks had ideas revolving around cutting up the fog into smaller pieces, but I'd actually written that part before even asking for suggestions in the first place. And to top it all off, there's xTSGx, whose idea that they "Magic the magic bonds in the magic so that the magic will magic itself" is as close as anyone got to guessing what I actually had in mind.

PreviousChapters Next