• Published 18th Sep 2012
  • 22,364 Views, 3,063 Comments

Flash Fog - Kwakerjak



Fluttershy must deal with an unusually thick fog as it approaches Ponyville.

  • ...
38
 3,063
 22,364

PreviousChapters Next
August 31 – 5:07 PM

“Cross my heart and hope to fly; stick a cupcake in my eye,” recited the seventy-odd volunteers in an unenthusiastic drone. It wasn’t that they weren’t taking the act of making a Pinkie Promise seriously; rather, the overwhelming majority of them were not looking forward to holding up their end of this particular agreement. The fact that many of them had made the classic mistake of assuming that they needed to physically poke their eyeballs with their hooves didn’t help, either.

“Okie dokie lokie!” Pinkie Pie chirped to the crowd. “Welcome to SPHERE! There’s a meeting next Saturday, and we’ll be able to explain our goals more clearly then.”

“Super,” Rainbow Dash said. “Can I get going now? I need to get an up close look at that fog before I talk with the rest of the weather team.” The pegasus was feeling really self conscious about her reflective fog suit (for example, several of the more vain ponies had taken the opportunity to use her backside as a mirror), and the fact that Pinkie Pie had dragged her into joining SPHERE along with the rest of the Element-Bearers didn’t help matters much. Sure, she agreed with the principle—if the five of them stood with the pink earth pony, others would see that there was more to joining up with the weirdos than “Pinkie being Pinkie,” but that didn’t make it any less embarrassing.

Pinkie glanced over her shoulder at Fluttershy, who nodded silently. “Looks like you’re good to go, Dashie!”

“Cool,” Rainbow Dash replied, though her tone of voice made it sound almost sarcastic. She then shot into the air like a silver bullet towards the mountaintops, leaving the rest of her friends to handle the crowd of earth ponies (and a few unicorns) that Applejack had rounded up.

As soon as the weatherpony was out of sight, all eyes turned to the remaining pegasus, who looked as nervous as ever as she stood on Douglas Fir’s porch, which had been spontaneously repurposed as a makeshift dais. A stopgap platform for a stopgap expert, Fluttershy briefly thought to herself before banishing the thought from her mind. Thinking that way wouldn’t help her anymore. If she was going to get out of this mess, she had to press on.

“Um, thank you for coming...”

“What’s that?” came a voice from somewhere in the middle of the crowd.

The pegasus tried to raise her voice a bit. “Thank you all for coming on such short notice. I—”

“Speak up!” shouted another pony.

Fluttershy did her best to comply, but her attempt to increase her volume seemed to have the unfortunate side effect of causing her words to speed up: “Thank you for coming to help with the fog the Department of Weather is very grateful for your help and I’m-sure-everypony-else-in-Ponyville-will-be-glad-too andsoamIsothankyou!” The pegasus took several deep breaths before she opened her eyelids (which she only just now realized she’d been squeezing shut) and saw that her audience, although a little confused, seemed to appreciate her gratitude. “Um, Twilight?” she asked the unicorn standing next to her. “Would you mind giving the instructions for me?”

Twilight nodded and stepped forward. “Alright, everypony, I know that you haven’t had a chance to get a lot of information about this fog, so some of you may be worried about what’s ahead....”

As the librarian continued her explication, Rarity quietly sidled next to Equestria’s most skittish authority figure. “You’re doing splendidly, Fluttershy,” she said.

The pegasus didn’t seem to agree with the attempted encouragement. “How can I be doing well when I can’t even work up the nerve to tell other ponies what to do?”

The dressmaker smiled. “Dear, I don’t think your job requires public speaking. Your job is to make decisions, and to delegate the tasks that you can’t do yourself to other ponies who can. By that standard, I’d say you’re performing admirably at the moment.”

Fluttershy might have responded further, but Twilight Sparkle was nearing the end of her speech: “So, the unicorns will be levitating the firewood onto carts, and the earth ponies will be hauling them up the mountains along several well-established paths. Applejack has been placed in charge of directing the specifics of the transport operation, so if you have any further questions, just ask her. Is that clear?”

Upon receiving several nods and grunted affirmations, Twilight smiled. “Then let’s get to work!”

August 31 – 5:31 PM

There were many thoughts flowing through Rainbow Dash’s mind as she returned from her sortie at the fog bank, but two in particular stood out. First, either Pinkie Pie had been understating the severity of the fog, or it had somehow managed to get thicker and colder since this morning. Second, she probably shouldn’t have been so quick to dismiss Rarity’s suggestion that she cover her tail in the silver fabric, as even this had caused a large amount of drag as she flew through the magically-enhanced blob of water vapor. Any way you looked at it, her team would have their work cut out for them.

Speaking of whom, Rainbow Dash spotted the entire team, including all of the reservists, milling about the designated rendezvous point on the top of Mt. Barbaro. Some of them were no doubt grumbling over the fact that they had to meet on the ground rather than nice soft clouds, but Fluttershy had insisted that this area be as free of moisture as possible. The weatherpony landed and had her team gather around her.

“Alright, guys, listen up. I just got back from the fog bank, and I can tell you right now that it’s every bit as nasty as we’ve been told. Obviously, I don’t have the equipment for an exact reading, but I’d say it rates at least a 9.0 on the Pea Soup scale, easy.”

“You’re joking,” Cloudchaser said incredulously. “Fogs never get that dense outside of the Haysead Swamps!”

“Normal fogs don’t, but as I’ve repeatedly said all day, this fog is not normal,” Rainbow Dash replied seriously. “If we don’t get it under control, it might not just be the ponies in Ponyville that have to deal with it. I trust that I won’t have to explain why I insisted that everypony bring their fog suits along?”

This was answered with a round of indistinct groans as thirty or so fog suits were pulled out of the saddlebags where they’d been stashed. “Don’t worry,” Rainbow Dash said, “you don’t have to put them on until the fog actually gets here.” Regular fog suits were not known for being comfortable on warm summer days, and having to wear them while building and tending the bonfires central to Operation: Heatstroke might have resulted in some weatherponies coming down with actual heatstroke. “Now, all of the squad leaders still have those flint-and-steel kits I was passing out earlier, right?” Upon receiving several nods, Rainbow Dash smiled. “Great. So, are there any further questions before we get started?”

Several hooves went up into the air. Rainbow Dash pointed at the nearest one. “Yes, Thunderlane?”

“Uh, yeah, how are you supposed to go to the bathroom in that thing?”

“I’m not. I have to take it off to do that. Next question.”

“So, can you actually stand on a cloud while wearing that?” asked a reservist in the back.

“Um, no, I can’t, actually. It’s pretty much the opposite of a cloudwalking spell.”

“Does it come in any other colors?”

Rainbow Dash groaned. “Are there any questions that aren’t related to my fog suit?” A single hoof rose into the air. “Yes, Flitter?”

“Can Rarity make me one like yours?”

This was starting to get a little ridiculous. “I just said no more questions about the suit!” Rainbow Dash shouted.

Flitter seemed genuinely puzzled by this outburst. “But... that wasn’t a question about your suit. It was about the one I want her to make for me.”

Rainbow Dash sighed and briefly massaged one of her temples with her hoof. “Listen, I’ll be happy to explain that sort of thing after we’ve finished up here. Now, do any of you have questions that actually have something to do with your job?”

After several seconds of silence, the weatherpony smiled. “Good. Now, everypony get to your stations. The volunteers will be hauling up that firewood any minute now.”

August 31 – 5:35 PM

It took less than half an hour to get everypony into place. The stronger earth ponies were hitched up to carts, while the weaker ones stood by to relay messages and provide first aid, if necessary. The unicorns were standing in a clearing in Douglas Fir’s storeyard, ready to load up the carts with timber. Everything had been executed flawlessly—with one rather glaring exception.

“Uh, Fluttershy,” Applejack said as she strolled up to the fog specialist. “Don’t mean ta be a downer or nuthin’, but it seems like you might've forgotten somethin’.”

A look of utter horror washed over Fluttershy’s face. “Oh no oh no oh no!” The pegasus ground her teeth in panic as she tried to figure out how her house of cards was about to fall down. “I have ponies to load the firewood, deliver the firewood, build the fires, and to provide support for the ponies... the carts! We don’t have any wheelwrights or carpenters in case the carts break down! Oh, what am I going to do?”

“Uh, ya don’t need to worry about that. I’ve fixed a cart or two myself at Sweet Apple Acres. Actually, Sugarcube, I meant that there ain’t nopony to cut down the trees.”

Upon hearing this, the pegasus calmed down almost immediately. “Oh, thank goodness. I thought it was something serious.”

“How in tarnation is that not serious? I don’t know if you noticed, but it’s not easy to build a fire if ya ain’t got firewood.”

“Oh, don’t worry. I, um, asked for a little bit of help from some friends, and they got in touch with someone who could help out there.”

Applejack raised an eyebrow as she picked up on a nuance in her friend’s reply. “‘Someone?’ Not ‘somepony?’ Fluttershy, did ya get the help of some beavers to get those trees taken care of? Cuz that’s mighty clever of you.”

“Oh, my, no. Beavers take far too long to gnaw through trees. Instead, I’ve found someone with more, um, efficient methods.”

Applejack opened her mouth to ask for a further clarification, but she was interrupted by a sudden, screeching roar.

“Manticore!” Bon Bon shouted. “The humans have recruited manticores! Everypony panic!” Indeed, many ponies would have panicked were it not for the fact that this sounded much like every other rant the paranoid candymaker made about the mythical bipeds.

Fluttershy turned towards the commotion and saw a large winged feline with a nasty-looking scorpion tail walking towards her. The creature let out another ghastly roar, which might have caused the assembled ponies to reconsider their decision not to panic if their surprisingly fearless leader hadn’t flown over to it with a warm smile on her face. “It’s so good to see you again, Manny. How have things been in the Everfree Forest?”

The manticore roared again, blowing Fluttershy’s mane out of place.

“A pride? Oh, that’s wonderful!”

The manticore looked somewhat sheepish at Fluttershy’s praise—Applejack wasn’t certain, but she thought it might have been blushing. Well, either that, or it was red in the face with anger. It was somewhat difficult to tell from a distance. “Rooaaarrr!

Fluttershy wagged a hoof at her friend. “Now, there’s no need to be pessimistic like that. I’m sure you’ll be a superb father.”

Roooaaaarrrr!

“Of course I’ll be willing to help out, but in an emergency, you should probably see the local veterinarian, or perhaps Zecora.”

The manticore paused for a bit and scratched his head with a claw, seemingly uncertain about how to continue the conversation. Eventually, he was able to formulate his thoughts coherently: “Roooaaarrr roar rrrooooooaaaaarrrrr!

The pegasus nodded her head vigorously. “Well, obviously.”

Roooooooaaaaarrrrr!

“You’re quite welcome. It’s the least I can do for you now that you’ve agreed to help out. Come on, let me introduce you.” Fluttershy flew back to where Applejack was standing, now joined by a terrified-looking salesdonkey. “Manny Roar, this is Douglas Fir, and I believe you’ve already met Applejack.”

Applejack tried to avoid cringing, but the monster’s sheer bulk made that difficult. “Uh, Sugarcube, I’m pretty sure I’d remember meetin’ a manticore,” she replied when it became clear that the donkey was too shocked to speak.

“Oh, but you have met Manny. Don’t you remember? On the night when we defeated Nightmare Moon?”

Applejack swallowed hard. “Huh? You mean this is that manticore?” She briefly wondered if he remembered her attempt to subdue him by jumping on his back and riding him like an angry bull.

“Of course. Go on, say hello, Manny.”

Rrroooaaaarrrr!

Apparently, the manticore did indeed remember, assuming that that was the reason for all of the extra spittle. Applejack barely managed to keep her hat from blowing away. “Um, nice ta see ya again, I s’pose. So, uh, Fluttershy, would ya mind explainin’ how this thing—”

“That’s ‘Manny’ or ‘Mr. Roar,’” Fluttershy corrected sternly.

“Sorry. But how’s Mr. Roar s’posed ta be better than a beaver?”

“That’s quite simple, actually. You see, for eons, manticores have been competing with timberwolves for territory, and the venom in their tails is very effective at creating weak points in wood. So, he’ll follow Mr. Fir, who will point out which trees are going to be removed. Then Manny will sting the trees near the roots, and after a few seconds, he’ll be able to rip the tree off of its stump. It’s a very efficient plan, don’t you think?”

Applejack glanced over at the donkey, who was looking extremely pale. “Uh, somethin’ tells me Mr. Fir might be more comfortable if you came along with them. You know, for... communication issues.”

“Oh, my, I hadn’t thought of that...”

“Listen, don’t you worry none about the carts and such. I can handle that, and if you’re needed, I’ll send somepony to fetch you.”

Fluttershy nodded. “Um, okay, then. So, now that everything’s ready, um, I guess we ought to get started.”

“Right,” Applejack said with a nod. “Alright, everypony!” she called out to the masses. “Get ready to move ’em out!”

Author's Note:

It wasn't until I wrote this chapter that I discovered that Hasbro had given the manticore from the second episode an official name. I must have missed that EQD post.

PreviousChapters Next