• Published 18th Sep 2012
  • 22,353 Views, 3,063 Comments

Flash Fog - Kwakerjak



Fluttershy must deal with an unusually thick fog as it approaches Ponyville.

  • ...
38
 3,063
 22,353

PreviousChapters Next
August 31 – 8:18 AM

“Alright, will somepony please explain what in tarnation’s goin’ on here?”

Twilight Sparkle and Fluttershy glanced up from the various books, maps, and charts they’d been poring over for the past half-hour to see Applejack standing in front of them with a perplexed look on her face. “Is something the matter?” the unicorn asked, rising from the mountain of resources that had been building up around her.

“I dunno. That’s why I’m askin’. I came into town to sell my apples at the market, and for some reason all the weatherponies are flingin’ tornados every which way but loose. I figured I’d come and ask y’all about it, since it seems like you’d either know what’s goin’ on or know where to find out.”

“Well,” the librarian said, “I think the tornados are supposed to be pushing moist air out of the area, but you should really talk to Fluttershy about the specifics.”

Having never heard Twilight Sparkle defer to Fluttershy on any issue unrelated to Equestrian fauna, Applejack was somewhat taken aback. “Uh, okay. Er, what’s goin’ on, Fluttershy?”

The pegasus seemed a bit reluctant to divert her attention away from her isobaric map, though this seemed to be the result of general nervousness, rather than an intense work ethic. “Oh, um, there was an accident in Cloudsdale last night, and now a massive bank of industrial clouds is heading towards Ponyville. The Department of Weather put me in charge of taking care of it.”

Applejack raised an eyebrow skeptically. “They put you in charge? Why not one of the weatherponies?”

“Um, yes. I mean, low-altitude clouds are classified as fog, no matter where they come from, and I’m supposed to be a fog specialist... I guess.”

If Applejack detected any uncertainty in her friend’s voice, she gave no indication. “Huh... and this fog business is really worth makin’ a big deal over?”

“Probably, but I’ll have a better idea once Pinkie Pie gets back. I sent her over the Unicorn Range to have a look at it.”

The apple farmer rubbed her chin thoughtfully. “Is that so? Interestin’... So, if I were to suggest that my customers stock up on apples—”

“Applejack, you can’t seriously be considering exploiting this situation to make a few extra bits,” Twilight Sparkle said with more than a hint of moral indignation in her voice.

The earth pony sighed. “Twi, you don’t understand. I’ve got a business to run, and that means takin’ advantage of the situations life gives ya, and from where I’m standin’, this kinda looks like it might turn out to be one of ’em.”

The unicorn didn’t seem very convinced. “In other words, you’ve got opportunity in this ve-ry community.”

Applejack groaned. “Alright, alright. I get yer point. I won’t scare customers just ta drum up sales. Still, I better restock on dried apple slices. When the preppers hear about this, they’re gonna go nuts, no matter what my sales pitch is.”

“Preppers?” Fluttershy asked.

Applejack shrugged. “Some ponies spend a lot of time and money preparin’ for every kinda doomsday y’all could think of. Can’t honestly say I blame ’em what with all the weird stuff that’s happened around Ponyville since Twi came to town. They’re always stockin’ up on food that’ll last a long time, since they’re expectin’ society to collapse at any moment.”

“Oh, come on,” Twilight said. “I know things haven’t turned out as pastoral and idyllic as the local postcards imply, but that’s ridiculous. How bad could things possibly get?”

“Well, a popular one recently is that the six of us are plannin’ on overthrowin’ the princesses an’ rulin’ Equestria with an iron hoof.”

“What?! But why would they buy apples from you if they think you’re part of a conspiracy?”

“They don’t. The ones that believe that buy them from Big Macintosh. But most of the time, it’s stuff like natural disasters they’re worried about, or maybe some big ol’ bad guy poppin’ up when we least expect it. In any case, they all plan on hiding with their food until it’s safe to rebuild civilization, or somethin’ like that.”

Twilight sighed. “I just don’t understand how anypony can be that paranoid and stay sane.”

“Says the unicorn who keeps assumin’ that Celestia’s gonna dump her as a student,” Applejack added with a smirk.

“That’s... different.”

Applejack chuckled softly, apparently deciding to drop the conversation and spare her friend the indignity of losing the argument. “Yeah, I know. But it’s fun to tweak ya. Anyway, I gotta get back to the market. Our apples might be able to sell themselves, but they sure as hay can’t make change. Oh, and Fluttershy?”

“Yes?” the pegasus answered.

“If’n there’s anythin’ I can do ta help out, just give me a holler.”

“Um, alright. Thank you.”

August 31 – 8:25 AM

It didn’t take Pinkie Pie very long to remember why she disliked her family’s business so much: it was boring. The gravel lines she was following just went on and on and on, only occasionally being interrupted by rocks that had been meticulously placed in spots chosen to take advantage of the natural flow of earth magic. This flow was enhanced by raking the bed of white gravel, and then Pinkie stopped listening to what her parents were saying because they started talking about the value of patience and inner peace and other stupid and pointless things that had absolutely nothing to do with having fun.

Still, even though the passage of time and a complete lack of interest in the subject had eroded much of Pinkie Pie’s specific knowledge of petriculture, she was fairly certain that if she followed the ridges, she’d eventually reach the edge of the rock field. Then, if she moved along the edge of the rock field, she’d probably reach the home of the ponies who owned it, and then she could figure out what to do next... assuming the farmers were home, that is.

Pinkie Pie’s uncharacteristic pessimism was broken, however, when she suddenly saw a light shining through the fog, swinging back and forth as though it were being dangled from a pony’s mouth. She cautiously moved towards it, afraid that it would turn out to be nothing more than some sort of hallucination, but stopped when the light suddenly lowered down and stopped moving. Had it been placed on the ground? That question was soon answered with another one: “Hello? Is there anypony out here?” The voice was rough and grating, a sandpaper baritone that nonetheless managed to be perfectly clear and articulate, and Pinkie recognized it almost immediately.

“Daddy?! Daddy, it’s me, Pinkie!”

As she continued to gallop towards the light, a very familiar silhouette began to form, with a wide-brimmed hat and an impressive pair of sideburns. “Pinkamena? Is that you?”

The pink pony grinned as wide as she could when she realized that the stallion she’d heard was exactly who she’d thought he was. “Oh, I’m so glad to see you! I mean, I knew I was lost, but I had no idea I was this lost, but now you’ve found me and I’ll be able to get back to Ponyville and everything is going to be super-duper!” Pinkie threw her forelegs around her father’s neck and squeezed him in the tightest hug she could manage, and the tan stallion was more than happy to return the favor, even though his smile wasn’t nearly as pronounced.

However, this hug also alerted Shepherd’s Pie to a more pressing matter: his daughter was cold, wet, and shivering. Without a second thought, he immediately took his raincoat off and placed it on Pinkie’s shoulders. “There... that should help you warm up a bit. But what are you doing out here?”

“Oh, I’m here to investigate the fog, actually. One of my friends is working for the pegasi in charge of all the weather, and she asked me to have a look because I can actually walk into the fog to see how thick it is.”

“I see... but wouldn’t the Department of Weather have this sort of information already?”

“Um, maybe, except this is actually the result of some sort of accident that happened last night.”

Shep looked really confused now. “Last night? But how on earth could you get here from Ponyville so quickly?”

“I flew here in my flying machine.”

“You have a flying machine?”

“Uh-huh.”

Shepherd’s Pie chuckled at the off-hoof way his daughter talked about such a strange idea as though it was perfectly normal. He and Rhubarb had been right to let her move to Ponyville—never had he met a pony so ill-suited for the life of a rock farmer. “So, why didn’t you just fly back out?”

“I had to land it after I got tired. Pedaling that thing takes a lot of energy, and even I’ve got my limits. I guess I should have just rested for a while and gotten back on it again, but... um... I was kind of curious, and I didn’t think I’d lose sight of the spruce tree so quickly. I probably would have gotten out on my own, but the fog was so thick and I was looking all around me and I wasn’t paying attention and I got lost—”

“No, Pinkie, you are mistaken,” Shep interrupted his daughter with an ever-so-slightly detectable smirk on his face.

“Huh? What do you mean?”

“You were not lost, my daughter.”

“But Daddy, I had no idea where I was, and I’m pretty sure that’s what ‘lost’ means. Oh, wait, is this one of those inspirational-type things where you tell me that I was never lost because I had my family in my heart or something like that?”

“Not exactly. While it may be true that you didn’t know where you were, there are some unfortunate implications to that statement. You see, I only knew to come look for you because the Sense told me that there was a pony who’d gotten lost nearby.”

“What’s so bad about that?”

“In itself, nothing, but you forget that your mother believes the Sense to be nothing more than a series of coincidences, and she clearly voiced her disapproval of my decision to go outside at the urging of a tingle in my ear. Thus, if you tell her you were lost, that would mean she was wrong, with the implication that I had won the argument. As I would rather avoid the consequences of this situation, I ask that you tell your mother otherwise.”

It took Pinkie Pie a few seconds to fully understand what her father was saying, but eventually, her eyes lit up. “Oh... right. So, I was just... um... dropping in to visit?” Pinkie finished her proposed fib with a wink.

“Lose the wink, and I think that will do quite nicely,” Shep said as he stroked his chin. “Now, come on. We’ve got some hot tea brewing back at the farmhouse.”

“Okie dokie lokie!”

“So, tell me, Pinkamena, how’s your aunt doing?”

“Oh, just fine. She just got reelected to another term last month, so I threw her a grand old party to celebrate...”

PreviousChapters Next