• Published 18th Sep 2012
  • 22,362 Views, 3,063 Comments

Flash Fog - Kwakerjak



Fluttershy must deal with an unusually thick fog as it approaches Ponyville.

  • ...
38
 3,063
 22,362

PreviousChapters Next
September 1 – 8:12 AM

Even though the weather team had spent much of the previous day removing the humidity from the region around Ponyville, Celestia’s sun was already hot enough to make that accomplishment feel completely irrelevant. The fact that Rainbow Dash was flitting back and forth across the southern edge of the fog bank like a hummingbird in her fog suit did little to make them feel better, since the reflective silver fabric (and the fact that she could periodically duck inside the cool, dark fog) at least gave her some relief from the ever-growing heat. Still, most of the weatherponies knew better than to grumble about their boss while she was in the midst of barking out orders.

“Come on, ponies! The sooner we get this done, the sooner everything can get back to normal.”

“Oh, yeah, I’m sure we’ll be out of here in no time,” Thunderlane said sarcastically as he stopped pushing a particularly energetic puff of storm cloud towards the fog to wipe some sweat from his forehead. “After all, we’ve got more than enough cloud on hoof to seed the biggest fog bank any of us has ever seen.”

Rainbow Dash sighed; Thunderlane had been her unofficial second-in-command for quite some time, which meant that he was far more fearless in voicing his dissatisfaction than the rest of his coworkers. “Look, it doesn’t have to rain all at once. Once we get this section raining, the north winds will push the rest of the fog into the rain, which will keep up until it’s too thin to keep precipitating.” The final word in that sentence was enough to keep Thunderlane (and by extension, most of the regulars) quiet, since Rainbow Dash generally only used weatherpony jargon with her team when she wasn’t in the mood to argue.

The reservists, however, were a different matter entirely. “Ow!” shouted a rough male voice as the scent of ozone filled the air. “Why can’t we use normal clouds?”

Rainbow Dash didn’t personally know the burly brown pegasus stallion with a wooden crate for a cutie mark, but she felt quite sure that this level of whining over a relatively minor lightning mishap ought to be grounds to revoke his perma-stubble privileges. “We’re using storm clouds because they’ll make the fog rain faster. Now quit your bellyaching!”

Meanwhile, on the ground below, Fluttershy nervously tugged on her cravat.

“It’s best not to tighten it too much, darling,” Rarity said as she glanced up from her book. The fashionista had tagged along in case Rainbow Dash’s fog suit needed “periodic upkeep” (which was the euphemism she had taken to using in place of “letting Rainbow Dash out of her suit so she could use the little filly’s room”), but had otherwise decided to use the opportunity to pretend that she and Fluttershy hadn’t missed their weekly spa appointment. Granted, sitting on a chaise longue and reading the latest bodice-ripper from the celebrated pen of Ruffled Feathers wasn’t really comparable to getting a massage from Aloe or Lotus Blossom, but beggars couldn’t be choosers.

“Oh, I know,” responded Fluttershy (who really looked like she could use one of those massages), “but I’m still nervous. What if this doesn’t work?”

“Well, then you’ll simply form a new plan, of course. After all, by then, Mr. Pusher should be back with that information you need from the manufacturer, correct?”

Fluttershy sighed and smiled weakly. “I suppose that’s true. There’s probably nothing to worry about.”

September 1 – 8:12 AM

“Well, how’d it go?” Sweetie Belle asked as Scootaloo trudged back from the clubhouse. She and Apple Bloom had been waiting in the clearing that had been designated as the staging ground for the trebuchet for nearly fifteen minutes.

Scootaloo, however, didn’t seem to hear the question; instead of responding, she launched into a tangentially-related rant. “I don’t see why those stupid animals can’t just learn to talk normal. This is Equestria! Speak Equestrian!”

“Um, I’m not sure that they can,” Sweetie Belle said with a note of apprehension in her voice. “I think it has something to do with their vocal cords.”

Scootaloo, however, was in no mood to discuss zoology. “Thirty minutes,” she said, pausing briefly for dramatic emphasis. “It took me thirty minutes to figure out that Mr. Shnookums wanted a comprehensive health care plan, and another twenty minutes to bargain him down to paying for a trip to the vet if anything goes wrong. It wouldn’t have been so bad if that hamster hadn’t gotten Angel to negotiate for him, though. I mean, Angel kept pushing for full dental coverage, and he refused to listen when I tried to explain that this was just a temp job!”

“Well, now ya know why Sweet Apple Acres only hires family members,” Apple Bloom called out from beside the trebuchet, where she was inspecting the various support beams.

“But do we have our hamster?” Sweetie Belle said, hoping to circumvent any further rants about the inconvenience of labor relations.

“Yeah, Shnookums is on board,” Scootaloo said wearily. “All I can say is that we better get some cutie marks out of this.”

“Sounds ta me like somepony needs some cheerin’ up,” Apple Bloom said. “How ’bout we test out the trebuchet?”

“It’s finished?” Scootaloo asked.

“Yep,” Apple Bloom replied as she gingerly patted the catapult with her hoof. “At least, I’m pretty sure it is. I figure a couple of test shots oughta let us know if everything’s workin’ the way it’s s’posed ta. C’mon, we’ll even let you take the first shot.”

Scootaloo looked genuinely touched by this gesture. As she lifted a hoof to her face to wipe away a drop of sweat that had made it all the way to her eye and was most definitely not a tear, she said, “You guys are the best friends anypony could ever ask for,” and pulled the other two fillies into a tight hug.

It was only when she released them a few seconds later that Scootaloo asked the most pressing question: “So, what are we going to use for ammo?”

Apple Bloom slowly looked around the orchard. “Well...”

September 1 – 8:14 AM

“Well?!” Bon Bon shouted as she gesticulated wildly in the general direction of the apple in the middle of her living room, still surrounded by shards of glass from her now-broken window. “How much more evidence do you need?!”

Lyra took a slow, deep breath and tried to address her friend’s concerns as diplomatically as possible. “Bon Bon, are you certain you aren’t jumping to conclusions here?”

“Of course I’m jumping to conclusions, because there isn’t anything else to jump to! The humans have clearly announced their warlike intent by firing the first shot as a warning. The invasion has begun, Lyra, and we need to call an emergency meeting of SPHERE immediately so we can start distributing weapons.”

“Weapons? Like what?”

“Oh, you know, knives, scissors, knitting needles... um... and other pointy objects which I might think of later. Speaking of which, you should really consider sharpening your horn for self-defense.”

“What the— It’s a horn, not a pencil! Not only would filing it to a point hurt like nopony’s business, my ability to use magic could be permanently damaged. And what’s even more important, I don’t think you’re right about the apple.”

“Oh, come on, Lyra, are you seriously going to argue that ponies chucked this into my window?”

“Don’t be ridiculous. Of course it was the humans who did it. However, I happen to think that this was intended as a demonstration of their goodwill.”

“Goodwill? Since when is property damage a sign of goodwill?”

Lyra, however, shook her head. “You’re assuming that the property damage was intentional. For all you know, the wind threw off their aim. What’s important is that they didn’t send a weapon, like a bomb or something. They sent food. One does not offer apples to somepony one wishes to harm.”

“Unless they’re poisoned apples,” Bon Bon countered.

Lyra rolled her eyes. “Okay, now you’re just being difficult.”

Bon Bon slumped onto her couch. “Listen, we’re getting nowhere with this conversation. What we need is somepony who’s completely impartial, but is willing to actually take what we say seriously.”

Three seconds later, the answer came to both ponies simultaneously: “Pinkie Pie.”

September 1 – 8:15 AM

As Pencil Pusher couldn’t remember the last time he’d seen anypony shift from calm to panic as quickly as Jasmine Breeze, he was inclined to assume that getting back to Fluttershy really was as important as the executive had claimed. In his effort to exit the headquarters of Caligo Manufacturing as quickly as possible, he nearly tripped over his own hooves while rounding a corner in the labyrinthine hallway. This happened three more times before it occurred to Pencil that, as a pegasus, he could avoid this problem by hovering above the floor. Unfortunately, this was not the only obstacle he’d have to deal with before getting outside.

“Excuse me, sir, are you Pickle Barrel?”

Pencil suppressed a groan as best he could as he continued to make his way towards the office building’s lobby. He had never met this particular stallion before, but he recognized his reddish-brown coat and baseball cutie mark from the times he’d visited Greg in his office. A reporter of some sort, if he remembered correctly. Pencil Pusher didn’t know his name, and at the moment, he didn’t really care. There were far more productive things for him to be doing at the moment than acquainting himself with Greg’s friends. “Sorry, that isn’t my name.”

“But you do work in Requisitions at the Department of Weather, right?”

Pencil Pusher sighed. “Yes, I do, and I’m very busy right now.”

However, the stallion refused to be brushed off so easily, and flew directly in front of Pencil. “Hard Hitter, Cloudsdale Eye. I was hoping for a moment of your time.”

“Pencil Pusher,” the bureaucrat reluctantly replied. “I don’t really have much time at the moment,” Pencil said absently. “I need to get back to Ponyville.”

“Why is that?”

“Because I’m acting as the liaison to the fog specialist. Now, please get out of my way.” Pencil Pusher finally managed to squeeze around the reporter and make his way to the staircase.

Unfortunately, Hard Hitter had decided to use the “pester your subject with questions until they give you something worthwhile” strategy that day. “Well, perhaps you can tell me about the specialist, then,” he called out as he caught up with Pencil Pusher in the main lobby.

“She’s already a public figure. I doubt I could add anything to the mix,” Pencil replied, doing his best to avoid eye contact.

“But how did she get the position? It seems a little odd that an animal caretaker and a former supermodel would stoop to being a mere fog specialist in her spare time, after all.”

Pencil Pusher didn’t bother suppressing a groan this time. He stopped moving and glowered directly at Hard Hitter. “Look, I don’t know what you’re trying to get at, but it doesn’t matter. I’m positive that Fluttershy wouldn’t be listed as a fog specialist if she didn’t have the prerequisite qualifications. But if you really think that there’s some sort of funny business going on, you can just head to the DOW archives and have a look at her file, which I’m fairly certain is open to the public. If anything fishy was actually going on, that’s where you’d find your evidence. Now, if you’ll excuse me, I have a job to do.” Pencil Pusher didn’t wait for a response, and took off southwards, towards Ponyville.

Hard Hitter just stared at the grey stallion as he flew farther into the distance. “But... you were supposed to be a pushover....”

PreviousChapters Next