• Published 18th Sep 2012
  • 22,364 Views, 3,063 Comments

Flash Fog - Kwakerjak



Fluttershy must deal with an unusually thick fog as it approaches Ponyville.

  • ...
38
 3,063
 22,364

PreviousChapters Next
September 1 – 7:04 AM

The Cutie Mark Crusaders awoke to both good news and bad news. The bad news was that the fog was still there, and the adults in Ponyville seemed to be noticeably stressed out as a direct result (also, Apple Bloom wasn’t getting any dessert for a week as punishment for “bein’ sneaky”). However, the good news (which in their opinion far outweighed the bad) was that this meant that there was still a need for their human trap, which in turn meant that their maddeningly elusive cutie marks were at long last within their grasp.

Of course, that made unforeseen problems all the more infuriating—for instance, when they made their initial plans, the three fillies had never expected to tangle with labor disputes. Nonetheless, the hamster whom they’d surreptitiously “borrowed” from Fluttershy was being remarkably intractable, and the fact that he’d had the foresight to contact a negotiator to hammer out the details of the arrangement didn’t make things any easier.

“Ugh, look, Angel, I don’t see why this has to be so complicated,” Scootaloo said. “We’re offering food, water, and shelter. What more does Mr. Shnookums need?”

Undeterred, Fluttershy’s pet rabbit lifted a piece of white posterboard and pointed to the symbol that he’d drawn there, tapping it repeatedly to emphasize his point.

“He wants a stick with a pair of wings and two snakes wrapped around it? Isn’t that kind of dangerous? I mean, snakes eat rodents, right?” Scootaloo looked longingly out of the clubhouse window. Even though the heat was already becoming uncomfortable, even at this hour, she’d much rather have been out there with Sweetie Belle and Apple Bloom building the trebuchet, but she’d been too slow on the draw when it came time to declare herself “not it.”

Angel simply rolled his eyes and looked briefly to where Mr. Shnookums was sitting inside a hollow pink plastic ball, almost as if he was asking his client for more patience, and then he turned his attention back to the pegasus filly, letting out a long stream of annoyed squeaks and grunts.

“C’mon, Angel, I don’t speak rabbit,” Scootaloo said with a rather irritated glare. “Not everypony is like Fluttershy, after all.”

Scootaloo had absolutely no idea what the odd facial expression that appeared on the bunny’s face meant, nor could she figure out why he suddenly hopped out the clubhouse door, leaving his client behind. However, when he returned to the clubhouse followed by a rather confused looking hen, whom he “introduced” with a sweeping flourish of his paws, Scootaloo let out a groan. “Please tell me that’s a stupid attempt at a joke, and that you don’t actually think I can speak chicken.”

When Angel’s response was to awkwardly shift his weight back and forth while avoiding eye contact, Scootaloo smacked a hoof into her forehead. “This is going to be a long morning....”

September 1 – 7:38 AM

Ponyville’s weather team hadn’t fully assembled for the morning’s operation when the clouds arrived at the base of the mountains. Fluttershy just stared at the approaching delivery of a dozen massive globs of greyish-white vapor, all contained in equally massive nets that were being pulled through the air by teams of pegasi.

“Um, Rainbow Dash?”

“What is it, Fluttershy?” answered her friend, who was standing next to her. Rarity had already sewn Rainbow Dash back inside her silver fog suit, and had planned to spend the morning at Douglas Fir’s cabin in case she needed to take any “breaks.”

“Uh, well, it’s not, you know, critically important, but... why haven’t I ever seen clouds being delivered like this before?”

Rainbow Dash smirked. “Because usually the deliveries happen at night so all the clouds are there in the morning. I’ve had to help out with daytime deliveries once or twice. Wasn’t too bad, but I can’t imagine working the third shift to do it every night. Still, I hear the pay is good. A lot of weather ponies start out doing it to get their hoof in the door, actually. They do it for maybe a year until they get the experience to get transferred to a job where they can actually have a social life. Anyway, enough small talk—I think somepony’s flying down here to see you.”

Indeed, no sooner had Rainbow Dash finished her statement when a light purple pegasus mare with a short, green mane landed in front of them. “Are you Fluttershy?” she asked.

“Um, yes, I am,” Fluttershy responded uncertainly, “and this is my friend, Rainbow Dash.”

The mare blinked a few times as she stared at the silver-clad pony for a few seconds. “Whoa, Dashie. Never knew you were into that sort of thing.”

“Hate to break it to you, Climate, but you’re hardly the first pony to try that one.”

Fluttershy looked rather surprised. “You know each other?”

“Of course,” Rainbow Dash said. “Fluttershy, this is Climate Change, the lead weatherpony for Canterlot and its suburbs.”

“A pleasure to meet you,” Climate Change said, extending a hoof.

“Um, likewise,” Fluttershy replied as she extended her own hoof and timidly bumped Climate’s. “I, uh, guess that these clouds are for us?”

“You got it,” Climate Change replied. “We got the order to transfer them to Ponyville by telegram about a half-hour ago. Lucky for you guys Canterlot was scheduled for a massive thunderstorm this afternoon, otherwise you’d have to wait until they could be shipped from the Weather Factory. These should be enough to hold you over until the first shipment from Cloudsdale gets here.”

Fluttershy nodded absently. “Thank you. Um, I’m sorry about the inconvenience.”

Climate Change laughed out loud. “Oh, you wonderful, idealistic specialists. I hope you guys never change. Listen, we’ve had thunderstorms held up for much longer periods of time, for far stupider reasons. Trust me, we can handle this pretty well.”

It was around this time that the first of the draft teams drove a rather large stake into the ground, to which they then tied their cloud-net. “So,” Climate said genially, “want to inspect the shipment?”

Fluttershy would have very much liked to do so, but she wasn’t entirely sure what to look for. “Um, Rainbow Dash? Do you think these clouds will work?”

“Hey, you tell me,” Rainbow Dash replied with an awkward smile. “You know fog better than I do.”

Of course, the fact that Rainbow Dash had made this comment nonchalantly didn’t change the fact that it was actually a very good point, and as such Fluttershy needed to keep her friend from dwelling on it if she was to stay out of the clutches of the Equestrian Revenue Service. “I suppose that’s true,” Fluttershy answered in what she hoped was an equally easygoing tone, “but it’s not often that anypony attempts to deal with fog this way, and you have more experience with rainmaking.”

Fortunately, desperate wishing seemed to be effective this time. “Eh, I guess you have a point there.” Rainbow Dash flew up to one of the nets and removed a small chunk of cloud, batting it back and forth with her tail as she evaluated its properties. “A bit more static electricity than I’d like, but I guess that’s to be expected with thunderheads. Yeah, it’s good.”

“Well,” Climate Change said, “then all I need is a signature, and I’ll be on my way—unless you need me for something else, since you’re apparently the absolute ruler of the DOW until further notice.”

“Oh, um, of course,” Fluttershy said awkwardly as she searched for a pen. As the pony flew back towards Canterlot, Fluttershy turned to Rainbow Dash. “I guess the weather team should get started, then.”

“You got it, boss!”

September 1 – 8:11 AM

Pencil Pusher was still riding high from his success at the Department of Weather as he entered Jasmine Breeze’s office in Caligo’s headquarters for the second time and placed a stack of forms on the androgynously-named stallion’s desk. “There you go. Fluttershy’s set up to become a consultant. All that’s needed is Caligo’s approval.”

The executive didn’t answer directly; instead, he started rifling through the paperwork, nodding in approval as he looked over the completed forms. “Yes... everything seems to be in order.” He looked up and made eye contact with his guest. “I can’t thank you enough, Mr. Pusher. Your idea has made an extremely awkward situation much easier for us to manage.”

As Pencil Pusher was not accustomed to receiving credit for his own ideas (at least not the good ones), he was a bit taken aback by this praise. “Oh... uh... you’re welcome, I guess.”

“You have no idea how much of a relief it will be to walk into the next meeting with the board of trustees with something positive to report.”

“I can imagine,” Pencil Pusher replied. “I bet the guys at the insurance company won’t be pleased when they hear about this.”

“Oh, they already know,” Jasmine Breeze said with a dismissive wave of his hoof.

“Really?” Pencil asked. “How’d they take it?”

“Pretty well, considering the circumstances. I think they were too impressed with the creativity behind the idea to get angry.”

“But doesn’t their company risk losing millions of bits if they have to pay off your policy?”

“Of course they do. That’s why they took out a reinsurance policy against having to pay it.”

“Oh, that makes sense,” Pencil Pusher said. Two seconds later, he changed his mind. “Hang on! If they’re insured against paying off your policy, why did they raise such a fuss in the first place?”

“More than likely it’s because the reinsurance policy doesn’t cover everything they’d owe us if we made a claim. Also, their premiums would rise.”

Pencil Pusher let out a long sigh. Insurance companies were a completely different breed of bureaucracy than what he was used to, and without firsthoof knowledge, even his special talent could only go so far in piercing their murky depths. “Anyway,” he said, getting the conversation back on track, “do you have the information, or does your legal department need to go over these forms?”

“No, I’m authorized to expedite the process,” the executive replied as he began signing several of the forms. Minutes later, he’d pulled open one of his desk drawers and placed a thick, sealed envelope in front of Pencil Pusher. “Everything that Ms. Fluttershy needs to know should be in there. I assume you’ll be delivering it yourself?”

Pencil nodded. “I figure the fewer times it changes hooves, the better.”

“You’re absolutely right on that count. And for the love of Celestia, don’t let that seal break before it gets to her.”

“Right,” Pencil said with a nod as he placed the envelope in his saddlebag. “Still, with any luck, this data won’t be necessary. The Ponyville weather is going to start on a new attempt to disperse the fog this morning.”

“Oh?” Jasmine Breeze said as he began drinking from a plain, white porcelain mug of coffee. “It’s good to hear that the specialist isn’t sitting on her haunches,” he remarked between sips. “No offense, but our past experience with government employees has been... mixed at best.”

Pencil didn’t seem to mind this sentiment. “None taken.” After all, his boss was a pretty good example of exactly the kind of pony Mr. Breeze was talking about.

“Mind if I ask what the plan is?” continued the executive.

“It’s fairly ingenious, actually. They’re going to add clouds to the fog to try and make—” Pencil Pusher halted in mid-sentence as he scrambled away from the spray of coffee that erupted from Jasmine Breeze’s mouth.

What did you say?!

Author's Note:

In case you were wondering, I am aware that technically, Angel should have drawn a picture of a normal stick with one snake wrapped around it. However, I'm from North America, where, accurately or not, the caduceus has been associated with medicine for more than a century.

PreviousChapters Next