• Published 18th Sep 2012
  • 22,327 Views, 3,063 Comments

Flash Fog - Kwakerjak



Fluttershy must deal with an unusually thick fog as it approaches Ponyville.

  • ...
38
 3,063
 22,327

PreviousChapters Next
September 2 – 12:30 PM

“You’re certain these are the blueberries you used?”

Mrs. Cake nodded emphatically. “I’m positive, Pinkie Pie. We only opened one bag of dehydrated blueberries to make those muffins, and this is it.”

Pinkie screwed up her muzzle in frustration as she looked around the bunker’s cluttered kitchen. She’d come close to panicking when Derpy’s shift at the door ended and the lazy-eyed mare had told her of the “stomach problem” that had followed shortly after eating a blueberry muffin. Derpy seemed perfectly content to brush off the incident, but Pinkie had other ideas. She had promised Fluttershy her best party ever, and in her mind, no “best party ever” was going to feature endless gallons of vomit. She was determined that there would be a five-gallon maximum of puke, and even that was expected to be mostly the result of improper house-bouncing.

“Has anypony else complained about the muffins?” Mr. Cake asked as Pinkie sniffed the contents of the bag and carefully chewed a few of the dried berries.

“I wouldn’t really call what Derpy said to me a complaint,” Pinkie replied as she closed the bag again, “but no, nopony else has said anything, and I couldn’t find any nasty-looking stains on the carpet.” Pinkie tapped her foot against her chin as she tried to come up with a solid explanation. She wished she’d had the foresight to bring her crime scene investigation kit to the party, or at the very least her detecting hat and bubble pipe. “Maybe she’s allergic?” she eventually ventured.

“I doubt it,” Mrs. Cake replied. “She eats blueberry muffins from the shop all the time.”

“But you normally use fresh blueberries in your recipe,” Pinkie Pie pointed out. “Maybe Derpy is allergic to whatever was used to dry these out.”

“Maybe,” Mrs. Cake said, “but I doubt it. I’ve never heard of anypony getting sick from this brand’s other dried fruit.”

“Really?” Pinkie exclaimed. “Wow, this is a puzzler. Well, I suppose the best we can do is just take the blueberry muffins off the menu. There’s no point in risking anypony else getting sick if we don’t have to.”

The Cakes nodded in agreement, and Pinkie Pie headed back out into the main room to oversee a spirited round of “Celestia Says.”

September 2 – 12:33 PM

Fluttershy sat in the main room of the Golden Oaks library, listening to yet another of the day’s many reports. This one was delivered by Thunderlane, who had interrupted a conversation with Applejack to tell Fluttershy that the fog had reached the edge of the Everfree Forest. Given the obvious importance of the information, Applejack didn’t mind hanging back with Twilight while Fluttershy learned what was going on.

“...Basically, it appears the fog is in fact dispersing as it enters the Everfree Forest, and so far, it appears to be behaving like normal fog, though none of the weather team seems willing to enter the forest to have a closer look. The trouble is that it’s definitely not causing a chain reaction throughout the entire fog bank; it looks like the forest’s magic only affects the clouds that are inside of it.”

Fluttershy nodded her head as she listened to Thunderlane’s report. “I suspected that might be the case. After all, this is a premium building material, so Caligo would want to make sure it could hold up even if part of it was destroyed in some sort of accident. Is there anything else?”

Thunderlane continued, “Well, I’ve asked a half-dozen weatherponies to patrol the edges of the Everfree Forest to see if they notice the fog escaping.”

Fluttershy wrinkled her brow with concern. “You think the fog might revert to its more dangerous state if it leaves the forest?”

Thunderlane shrugged his shoulders noncommittally. “I have no idea, but if it does, I don’t think anypony wants to be surprised by it.”

“So, what does all this mean?” Twilight Sparkle asked, interjecting herself into the conversation.

“Oh, not much, really,” replied Fluttershy. “Essentially, it just means that Pinkie’s party is going to have to continue for a few more hours. I’m sure she can handle that.”

“You want me ta let her know?” Applejack asked. “I was about to head on over to make sure everthin’ was going okay anyway.”

“That would be very helpful,” Fluttershy said gratefully.

Applejack tipped her hat politely and pulled on her coat before opening the door and heading out into the fog.

“I’d better be going as well,” Thunderlane said. “Rainbow Dash and I have taken to using the Carousel Boutique as our rendezvous point so we can exchange information while Rarity checks our fog suits for any problems. You want me to send either of them back here to touch base with you?”

“No,” replied Fluttershy after some consideration, “I think I’ll be alright for now.”

After Thunderlane left, leaving Fluttershy alone with her designated number-cruncher, Twilight turned towards her friend and enthusiastically told her, “Congratulations—”

Fluttershy cut Twilight off with a long sigh. “Um, no offense, but I’d rather you held off on congratulating me until the fog was gone. There’s still a lot that can go wrong.”

Twilight shook her head. “No, no. I didn’t mean it that way. I just think you should be commended for your insight on how the Everfree Forest might affect the weather magic—not to mention having the confidence to follow through with your idea.”

“Oh,” she said as a small smile crept onto her face. “Well, if that’s the case, thank you.”

“Not only that,” Twilight continued, “but all the data that Rainbow Dash and Thunderlane have been gathering would definitely prove useful for publishing your findings in an academic journal.” Here, the studious unicorn paused awkwardly. “Um... if you need some help writing a paper, I’d be glad to join as a coauthor.”

“Um, that’s alright. You can do it on your own, if you like. I won’t mind.”

“But I would,” Twilight said. “It was your hypothesis, after all. It would be unethical for me to take full credit for it, even if I handled all of the analysis. Look, Fluttershy, if the data ends up supporting your idea as well as it appears to, it shows that you have a really intuitive grasp of how unpredictable magic works. In fact, if Discord ever shows his face around here again, it might be a better idea to put you in charge.”

“Okay, now you’re just being silly.”

September 2 – 12:40 PM

Apple Bloom wasn’t certain how long it had been since Sweetie Belle had left, but she figured it couldn’t have been too long, since neither she nor Scootaloo seemed to be doing any worse. Then again, that was a spectacularly low bar to begin with, as Apple Bloom was all but certain that her friend’s wing was badly injured, and both of them were shivering in the fog’s cold, damp air. At least Scootaloo was once again coherent enough to maintain a conversation, though none of the topics she wanted to discuss were particularly pleasant.

“Can you hear anything out there?”

Apple Bloom strained her ears before answering, “No, can’t say I do, Scootaloo.”

“Well, that... that’s good, right? Sweetie Belle would make a lot of noise if they got her, right?”

“Ya mean the grownups?”

“No, I mean the humans!”

“Oh, right.” Apple Bloom really didn’t want to think about the sinister bipeds, but the alternative was listening to the chattering of her teeth. “Do ya think they’re really as bad as Bon-Bon says?”

“Of course,” Scootaloo replied in a half-groan. “She’s an adult. When adults lie to foals, it’s always because they’re hiding all the nasty stuff, and she told us plenty of that sort of thing.”

Apple Bloom didn’t seem so sure. “I guess that’s true sometimes, but what about when they’re just tryin’ ta scare us so we don’t do somethin’ stupid?”

Scootaloo drew in a shuddering breath before she answered. “If that’s what she was trying to do, I don’t think it worked very well. Besides, she wasn’t trying to stop us from doing anything when we asked her about them, so why would she make something up?”

“I s’pose I get your point, but, well, what if Miss Bon-Bon ain’t technically lyin’ because she thinks it's the truth? What if she’s just wrong?”

“What? You think her friend’s the one who’s right about humans now?”

Apple Bloom shook her head. “No, it’s just—”

“Apple Bloom, there’s no point in fooling yourself into thinking the humans will rescue us. We... just need to trust Sweetie Belle, that’s all. She’ll be able to get help. She’s the smart one, remember?”

September 2 – 12:41 PM

This was a really, really bad idea...

Sweetie Belle had felt certain that she’d run into trouble when she’d left her friends, and unfortunately, reality was not disappointing her. For the past few minutes, the familiar landscape of Sweet Apple Acres had been reduced to a series of apple trees emerging from the mist as she kept moving, each one looking exactly the same as the last. The dampness of the air was starting to affect her mane, which was sticking to her skin as it grew more and more disorderly, to the point where it seemed like she was pausing every other step to push strands out of her eyes.

Still, she kept moving, partly to stave off the fog’s chill, partly because she knew her friends were counting on her, and partly because of the inescapable sense of dread that seemed to have gathered in the pit of her stomach. It felt like she had to keep moving, because to stop would mean that she’d have to confront the unnameable monstrosity that vexed her. Was it the humans? By this point, Sweetie Belle wasn’t even sure.

No... she thought to herself. I know exactly what it is. It’s the fog. The fog, which she had assumed was only dangerous because it was acting as a sort of smoke bomb for invaders, was staging an invasion all by itself. It had enveloped her, swallowed her, and if she stopped now, the cold that kept biting into her skin would consume her utterly, just as surely as it would consume her friends.

She couldn’t shake the feeling that she was going in circles, but then, a small part of her wanted to be going in circles, in the perverse hope that she’d stumble across Apple Bloom and Scootaloo once again so the three of them could give in to despair and face the end together. No! I can’t think like that, Sweetie Belle admonished herself. She had to keep moving, if only in the vain hope that she might stumble upon something that might hint at the direction she ought to be traveling.

The unicorn filly was so preoccupied with the all-encompassing gloom that she almost didn’t notice when the grass beneath her hooves suddenly transitioned to gravel. It took Sweetie Belle a few moments before she realized that she was standing on one of the cart paths that were strewn throughout the orchard to make it easier to transport the apples at harvest time. If she followed this path, it could very well take her to the main road, and from there, she could get back to town! Well, unless she turned away from town...

But I’m pretty sure that would just lead me to the Apple’s farmhouse, and we already know that Granny Smith is there. Granny Smith could lend her one of Apple Bloom’s winter coats, and Sweetie Belle could then head into town, or perhaps help her look for the other two Crusaders assuming they could avoid being detected by humans.... But that was only if she actually got to the main road from this path, and as she turned around, she couldn’t make out a single clue that might tell her which direction led out of the orchard, and which one would take her even further in. Nor did she have any idea how many branches and forks might be between her current location and that road.

Still, this path was better than nothing, and there seemed to be little point to standing still so she could shiver with indecision. Steeling her resolve, Sweetie Belle decided to turn to her left and keep pressing on, all the while desperately hoping she wasn’t supposed to head right.

PreviousChapters Next