• Published 25th Jun 2022
  • 1,667 Views, 75 Comments

Equestrian reformation - Vladilen_pro

  • ...
9
 75
 1,667

Betrayed expectations

It's been a little over a month since my "Grand Canterlot Escape". That's what the ponies called my attempt to unleash my anger without hurting anyone. Honestly, I like the way they called it, sounds epic. The few Ponyville newspapers I was able to steal while no one was looking were all about my "escape." Or yet another interview with Celestia, and the endlessly repeated question: "Your majesty, why didn't you stop him?". I don't know how long this hype will go on, but I wish it would die down sooner.

(Well, definitely not "a couple days" as Twilight said when I went to get the tools in Applejack's shed.)

The decrease in hype is certainly not helped by the posters with my face on them, which are probably already plastered all over Equestria and possibly even beyond. I guess I really am a wanted man now.

As for the wolves, I haven't seen them again since that time. Maybe they told their leader how dangerous I was and he decided I'm not worth the hassle... But it doesn't matter, I feel safe as long as I have hairspray and a lighter. I attached both of these vital devices to an old tool belt I found during my late night hunting for supplies. Someone kindly left it in the backyard of a furniture store. Well, thanks, buddy.

On the other hand, I'm almost finished renovating the treehouse, and borrowing tools from Applejack has helped me a lot. Next to my new residence, I planted potato and carrot seeds, enclosing them with a small fence.

(It's not much, but it will help me not starve to death.)

But it wasn't all smooth sailing... For the past few days, I've been feeling like someone is watching me. This unsettling feeling is always with me wherever I go. It feels like every day the spy is getting closer.

(Maybe I'm starting to go crazy from being alone?)

No, I'm definitely not alone here, and I found proof of that today. A spy came close to the tree house last night, forgetting to clean up the evidence - the hoofprints. Yes, the spy was a pony, which didn't surprise me much.

(So they found me after all... But why haven't I been caught yet? Whose side is the spy on? And if I'm found, should I look for another place to hide? But I've already settled in here nicely! Argh!)

Anxious thoughts kept me on my toes and were literally burning out my brain. I could not do any useful work in improving my home because of it.

(Okay, that's enough, I need to calm down. These are the first steps to insanity, aren't they? I'm not going to change my location, and if they do find me... So be it. I have nothing to lose.)

With these thoughts, I continued my life as a hermit. Surprisingly, the spy didn't show himself for several days in a row. But that was just the calm before the storm, and the storm came suddenly. It was a calm warm day, I was chopping wood for the evening fire. The bushes rustled. During this month in the forest, I had learned to distinguish the rustle of small forest animals from the rustle of something... Larger.

"Congratulations. You found me. It's a wonder I was able to hide for a month." Saying that, I continued chopping wood. "Well, was it worth it? Time well spent?"

I was ready for this confrontation. It was foolish to think I could hide forever.

"Well, Twilight, is that you? Or maybe the princess of lies herself? Either way, you can come out of the bushes."

But against my expectations, a zebra emerged from the bushes.

(Okay, I wasn't prepared for that...)

"So the rumors was right, there is a human in my sight."

(What the fuck? She talks in poetry?)

Just in case, I kept the axe in my hands and kept my distance from this mysterious zebra.

"Please do not fret, its not a villain you just met." Zebra continued to speak in poetry.

(Holy crap, you're not really helping to defuse the situation by talking in those creepy poems!)

"Okay." I threw the axe to the ground. "Why don't you introduce yourself?"

"I am Zecora of Everfree, the one who knows potion recipe. I am skilled in herbalist art, and know how to make it work fast."

"Wow, that's quite a description." It took me a few seconds to process it all. "Well, I suppose there's no chance you don't know who I am."

(Also, wait a minute... Zecora? Man, I swear I heard that name somewhere... But where? Hmm...)

"Of course I know, my dear, who you are, that's perfectly clear."

"Well, that's not surprising, though." A heavy sigh left my lungs. "So who sent you?"

"Sent me? Well, my friend, no one I believe."

"Oh really? Are you sure about that?" my suspicion was at an all-time high. "Celestia is out there somewhere isn't she?"

"Now now, my friend, do not fret. Celestia is not here, you bet."

"Celestia isn't here? Okay, then Twilight must be here." I sat down on a large log I was about to chop.

"Twilight is not here either, my dear. Perhaps you feel that these answers are not quite clear. And you feel that I speak with intention to deceive, but Zecora will only tell the truth so believe."

For some reason, I was starting to believe her.

"Okay, let's say no one sent you here. Then why were you spying on me at night? I know you did."

"Oh, my friend you are quite right, I was watching you last night. And although my methods may be rude, I only want to do what is good."

"So you... Just wanted to introduce yourself to me, am I reading you right?"

"Oh yes of course, my friend, that is my main intent." The zebra smiled at me.

"Okay... Do you know why I live here in the woods?"

"I can see, escaping big city to live worry free."

(Looks like she knows... But I'll clarify, just in case.)

"And what is this big city you are talking about?"

"It's Ponyville, no doubt, and as I can see, you will be sticking around?"

(Hmm... That's interesting! She thinks I escaped from Ponyville, not Canterlot.)

"Yeah, I'll probably stick around for a while, unless... Uh..." I wasn't sure if I should continue.

I saw the look of confusion in Zecora's eyes.

"It doesn't matter. So uh, do you... Know Canterlot?"

"Why yes, it's a home of Princesses!"

"And... Did you hear what happened there the other day?" I was a little nervous asking that question.

"The answer is no, I believe, news travel extremely slow here."

"Yeah, I can imagine..."

An awkward pause ensued.

"Well... Since you wanted to get to know me... Do you want to stay for dinner? I was planning to make vegetable stew." I picked up the axe from the ground and continued chopping wood. "You have to work hard to stay fed living in the forest..."

"Oh, thank you for your kind invite, I think I'll have a bite."

“Hey, that's great. To be honest, I could really use some company..." I smiled awkwardly.

"I love to spend time making new friends, to hear their stories, listen and make amends."

"I had friends too..." I remarked sadly.

"Oh, this is very sad indeed. I am sorry to see you are in such grief. Would you happen to have lost your friends, a group of three? Or was it four, I do not know what I should believe. But whatever happened, you must tell, so Zecora makes sure your problems will not swell."

"It's... It's hard to describe, really. I'm not sure I have the strength or the will to do it, sorry..."

"My friend, no need to say sorry, if you do not want to speak of this sorrow. I would not wish to burden you with any more weight, for it is clear that your heart's filled with a lot of pain. But if you want to tell one day, I will listen to what you have to say." Zecora put her hoof on my hand.

"It's funny, I just met you not more than 15 minutes ago, and I already feel like you're a good old friend. How's that possible?" I was at a loss.

"It is quite simple, my friend! Because we are not that different, in the end... We both have friends that have left us alone, and we both love the forest to roam. We both know about sadness and grief, and we both know about joy and belief."

"You having trouble with your friends too?" I thought about it for a couple seconds. "I guess living in the woods isn't helping with new friendships much, huh?"

"This is very much true, my friend, the woods do not help. I lived alone for quite some time, and did not have anyone by my side."

"Hey, I think we can help each other with this." I smiled for the first time in a long while. "We need to stick together."

"Oh, my friend, I greatly agree, we both are in need of company. Being together will surely bring us some cheer, and help us keep away the darkness and fear."

(I still don't fully trust her, but time will tell... I guess if I don't get caught by Celestia tomorrow morning, Zecora really can be trusted.)

Meanwhile, I finished chopping the wood and proceeded to start a campfire.

"So... What do you do for a living here?" I was trying to keep the conversation going.

"I am an herbalist by trade and training, but in my free time, I brew potions of healing."

"Wow, potions? That's cool. I'm used to unicorn magic here, but potions? I haven't seen one yet."

"Unicorn magic is quite a sight, the power to control elements and use it with might. While my potions may not be a powerful as that, you must agree that these concoctions have some magical facts."

"Yeah, no doubt here."

I put the heavy pot on the fire, and then poured water into it.

"Well, it's going to take some time. In the meanwhile, I need to wash and chop the vegetables." I stuffed carrots and potatoes into my already heavily stained backpack. "And that means it's time for a stroll to the river. Care to join me?"

"Oh, my friend, I would absolutely love to tag along, a little stroll by the river side will do no wrong."

"Great, then let's go."

On the way to the river, I noticed that some of the leaves on the trees were starting to turn yellow.

"Looks like autumn is coming, huh?"

"With the leaves starting to turn yellow, I can already see that the season is mellow. The trees give off a beautiful shade of gold, and the air feels so much more bold. It is quite a lovely sight, don't you agree? I must admit, autumn is quite nice to see."

"Yes, autumn is a beautiful time of year." But then I had a thought. "Hmm, maybe I should be stocking up on supplies of food now..."

"Indeed, my friend, that is quite wise. The weather is sure to get colder in winter's guise. Stocking up on supplies now must be done, otherwise the winter, it shall not be fun. As the skies turn gray with snow, the temperatures drop and the winds really blow."

"Here comes the river." I pointed forward with my hand.

Near the river, I took the vegetables out of my backpack and decided to show off my makeshift knife.

"Look, I made this knife myself! It wasn't easy sharpening that stone, but it was worth it for sure."

"I am sure it took a lot of sweat and tears, as I can see the result is quite clear."

"Ha ha, yeah, that's for sure. Well, maybe also a couple drops of blood... I got a little cut, but it's nothing serious." I showed Zecora the small scar on my arm.

"Ah. I see you have injured yourself in the process of making the knife. Are you sure it is not too deep of a cut, I hope it is healing fine?"

“I'm fine, really. It's just one of the trials I have to go through living in the woods. Isn't it?”

"I suppose you are quite right, we are putting up a fight."

I started peeling vegetables, meanwhile Zecora was looking for something in the forest greenery.

"What are you up to?"

"Oh, just collecting some herbs and flowers, so I can make potions and oils of powers. These plants have different effects
that can provide multiple affects. Some can be used for medicinal purposes, or be used as a way to help you relax and ease stress."

"I'm really very interested in learning more about potions and their making... Any chance you can show me?" I asked with hope in my voice.

"Of course, my friend, I could teach you a thing or two. If you are interested, I will tell you what you must do. You should сome to my hut the next day, I will show you the craft without delay!"

"Wow, thank you! That would be just wonderful. We can also get to know each other better."

"I think we also should go on a mushroom hunt, this time of year is a must!" Zecora pulled back a patch of grass and I caught a glimpse of a mushroom.

"That's not a bad idea either!"

Soon I was finally done with the veggies and we headed back to my place. Zecora also turned out to be an excellent cook, helping me prepare the stew. Actually, it was no surprise that someone who knew how to brew potions have no trouble making ordinary food.

"Thanks for the tips, Zecora. They've definitely improved my cooking skill."

"Oh, you're most certainly welcome, my friend. For teaching you how to better cook, a true blessing I have lent."

"So what about tomorrow? You'll visit me in the morning and we'll go mushroom hunting, and afterward you can show me potion making?"

"Oh, my, it would be my absolute delight, to go on a mushroom hunt. We shall set off when the light is right, and search for every sort of mushroom in sight. We shall come back after some time, with lots of mushrooms in our find."

"Cool, I'll see you tomorrow, then. Have a good evening and night."

"My, my, I cannot wait for tomorrow to arrive, we shall have so much fun with this expedition we devise."

Zecora left, and I was alone again.

(What a day... Was I really able to find a friend again even after all the shit that happened a month ago? Unbelievable.)

The sun was already setting over the horizon. I climbed into my tree house and sipped berry tea, admiring the sunset.

(Celestia, if only you were as good at telling the truth as you are at raising and lowering the sun...)

Soon the sun had completely gone below the horizon, giving up its place to the moon.

(I wonder if Luna told her sister the details of our cooperation? I hope she doesn't get in trouble for it.)

(What a beautiful night it is... It feels like the moon is shining brighter than the sun. I would have taken some pictures, but my phone died 2 weeks ago.)

I was yawning like crazy. It's bedtime. I collapsed on a pile of dry grass that was replacing the bed for me and covered myself with sewn together potato sacks.

(Well, this isn't how I imagined my life to be, of course...)

A few minutes of finding a comfortable sleeping position, and my eyes began to close.

(Lottery begins... Will I find Celestia on my doorstep in the morning? Guess I'll see...)

***
My sleep was interrupted by a knock on the wood. It's that woodpecker again, my personal alarm clock. I rubbed my face and stretched out in the improvised bed.

"Thanks, buddy. What would I do without you? Right... I'd be sleeping till noon."

The morning forest is amazing with its fresh smell, it's like a drug for me. I could stand on the small terrace of a tree house for ages and just breathe, but I have things to do.

(Zecora will be here in about an hour, gotta be ready.)

Not counting the morning routine, preparations went quickly. Of course, I hadn't forgotten my tool belt, which provided quick access to the "flamethrower".

(I wonder how Zecora defends herself against wolves? Need to ask her about it, maybe she can give me some advice on that? Better safe than sorry.)

I was finishing yesterday's cold stew when I heard a familiar voice.

"Greetings, my friend, I have come today to go mushroom hunting with you, as I did say. Just come on out, no need to delay,
for this expedition will be in our hands to play."

"Hello, Zecora. Yeah, I'm all set. Let's go."

"So let us seek out some mushrooms, we shall trek deep into the woods."

Zecora led me deep into the forest, where she told me the largest clusters of mushrooms were located.

"Not going to lie, your tool belt caught my eye."

"Hm? Ah, the tool belt? I knew you'd notice it. Yeah, I've got some pretty unusual items on it, but trust me, they saved my life a month ago." I pulled hairspray and a lighter from my belt. "Any idea how this combo could be used?"

"A lighter and hairspray? A most intriguing combination it is indeed, but do tell, how you used it in your time of need."
Zecora tilted her head and looked curious.

"Actions speak louder than words, so take a look."

I put the "flamethrower" on full power and fired it toward the open space so I wouldn't accidentally set the forest on fire.

"And that's how I saved myself from the wolves a month ago."

Zecora looked impressed by the display of fiery ability.

"By the moon, that was quite a display of heat! I should say, it is pretty neat!"

"Thank you. By the way, I was wondering how you keep yourself safe from wolves? I bet you don't have a flamethrower like that."

"When I journey in the wild, it is in my nature to be alert of what's around. I also carry with me a couple of herbs, one of which is very useful for repelling the worst of all beasts."

"Well, guess I'll stick to my flamethrower." I shrugged.

We walked some more, and finally came to a large meadow.

"This is the place?"

"Indeed, my friend, this is the place. The meadow is abundant with shroom, of all kinds, no disgrace."

"Then what are we waiting for? Let's get started."

Zecora wasn't lying, there were indeed a lot of mushrooms here, more than the two of us could carry. I was at max capacity in 10 minutes.

"There's probably enough mushrooms for the entire Ponyville."

"Indeed there is, my friend, we have a lot, it's quite the amazing amount."

At this moment, I noticed that the sky was getting covered with gray clouds.

"Oops, looks like it's going to rain soon. I was hoping for a sunny day, oh well..." I got a little bit sad.

Zecora, in contrast to me, took a moment to gaze at the sky.

"The sky is starting to get a bit gray, we should prepare for the rainfall today. Please come with me to my place, this way we should avoid the rain pace."

"Ah yes, that's a great idea. And you'll show me your potions at the same time, right?" I was excited like a child.

Zecora smiled and chuckled a bit.

"You are most certainly right, this is a good idea in which I delight. Let us leave the woods without delay, with haste we shall be on our way."

Zecora led me through the forest to her hut. The hut was a huge old tree. There were some colored vials hanging from the branches near the entrance.

(Another tree house? Equines have bird dna here?)

"This is my dwelling, a tree that I call home, the only place in the forest, a place where I am not alone."

Zecora invited me inside. Inside the hut, there were many vials on shelves, some hanging from the ceiling. Also there were strange masks hanging on the walls, which I thought told a whole story about Zecora and her tribe. In the center there was a large cauldron.

"Wow, is this where you make your potions?"

"Indeed, this is where I make my potions, where the ingredients are added in the cauldron with caution."

"Yeah, I imagine it's best not to fool around when making potions..."

Suddenly I heard thunder.

"Ah, looks like there's a thunderstorm coming..." I looked through the window. "Hopefully it won't last long."

Zecora's ears perked up, as she also heard the thunder echoing faraway, and the pitter-patter of raindrops falling onto the roof of her hut.

"Yes, the thunderstorm is coming with the rain, it's going to soak the terrain."

The wind was picking up outside and I felt so comfortable in the hut, like I was back home.

"Before I show you my craft, perhaps, we should grab a snack?" Zeсora went to the kitchen.

"Yeah, sure, why not?"

Zecora served berry tea, which reminded me of the flavor of the one I'd made myself, and homemade pastries.

(Well, that's not surprising, apparently we pick berries in the same place.)

"Now, I need to tell you this... Please do not resist." Zecora looked at me seriously.

I choked on my tea.

"Huh? What do you mean?" suddenly I felt alarmed.

"You know what i'm talking about, there is just no doubt."

My heart jumped and an icy shiver ran through my body.

"No... It can't be, not again..."

I rushed to the door, opening it, but... It was too late. Celestia was standing on the doorstep, and our eyes met.

"No... NO, FUCKING NO! Seriously?! Aggh!"

Celestia's gaze was fixed on me.

"Don't you give me that fucking look! Did you really instruct her to gain my trust to catch me?! Oh my God, I'm the biggest idiot in the world! Fuck!" I made a powerful facepalm. "I had my concerns, but I decided to trust and that's what happened!"

Celestia stepped inside.

"We need to talk, Vlad."

"No! I already said we don't have shit to talk about! You fucked up, thats the entire conversation!"

"Please, we really..." Celestia didn't get a chance to finish.

"NO! You've destroyed my life, so please be so kind and don't destroy it further." I turned to look at Zecora. "And you... I'm very disappointed in you. You've destroyed the last bit of the trust I had. Now I can't trust anyone but myself. And maybe I won't trust myself soon too."

I walked past Celestia, ignoring her words, and stepped out of the hut. But after taking a couple steps, I felt like I couldn't move anymore.

(What the...?)

Looking down, I noticed a yellow magical aura wrapping around my legs. I turned back to Celestia.

"Don't you dare to pull that stunt on me..."

"I'm sorry, but you leave me no choice. You have to come with me." Celestia completely immobilized me.

I felt my entire body now wrapped in Celestia's magic, and the next moment I was off the ground.

"Whoa whoa whoa, what the hell are you doing?!"

I tried to struggle, but my attempts were useless. She put me on her back, still not letting me move.

"Have you finally lost your damn mind!? It's a kidnapping! I protest!" Another attempt to break free, and failure again.

"I didn't want to resort to that... But there's no other way." Celestia sighed heavily.

Zecora approached Celestia.

"Princess, will he be alright? You're not going to harm him, right?"

"Don't worry Zecora, everything will be fine, I promise."

I didn't gave up yet and was trying to break free.

"I think you could use a little nap and calm down." Celestia said with a taunt.

"Well, maybe you need to-"

Suddenly I felt a great weakness in my body, as if I hadn't slept for a week.

"No, don't even think about... Using this... On.. On meee...ee..."

I tried to stay awake, but the magic broke me and I passed out, unable to do anything to resist.

Comments ( 4 )

Oh Nooo! No chance of escape what's going to happen Next!?

11892350
Guess we have to wait and see!:trollestia:

Glad to read this chapter, I've really been enjoying the series. And that was a very scummy thing for Celestia to do, practically going against all the teachings she gave Twilight by having a stand in pretend to be Vlad's friend only to betray him and sell him out to Celestia. Can't wait to see what happens next

11899285
Hi, glad I'm still able to interest you with my writing, really appreciate your feedback!

Login or register to comment