• Published 25th Jun 2022
  • 1,639 Views, 71 Comments

Equestrian reformation - Vladilen_pro

  • ...
9
 71
 1,639

Sudden news

"Oh, come on, guys, can't you stay a little longer?" Spike was a little upset about us leaving the party early.

"Sorry buddy, but Mac and I have to get up early for work tomorrow. We need to get some sleep." I said, Mac confirmed my words with a nod.

Spike sighed sadly.

"Come on, it won't be our last party together, I'm sure. It's not like I'm leaving Equestria tomorrow. Or at all anytime soon..." I said ironically.

"Haha, you're right. But are you two sure you can make it home? Looks like you... Had some fun with the cider." Spike asked in a teasing tone.

"Well... We'll find out now." I shrugged.

"Okay, be careful, you two." Spike smirked and went back inside.

As we started to leave, I saw, out of the corner of my eye, a flash in the window on the second floor of Twilight's house. By this time, I had long since realized that it was a teleportation spell, always accompanied by a small flash.

(Is Twilight practicing? It looks like it...)

The two of us walked in silence for a while. The walk back home seemed longer than usual.

"You know..." Mac spoke up. "Maybe I won't make it home after all ... Do you mind if I stay at your place? It seems easier that way..."

"Why not? Let's go." I said without hesitation. "Maybe Celestia will count that toward the progression of our friendship, too?"

"That would be nice..." Mac said, yawning.

Indeed, the way to my house was much shorter than the way to the farm. A few minutes later we arrived at my house. I opened the door and let Mac go in first.

"I haven't had this much fun in a long time..." I collapsed on the couch.

Mac sat down next to me, tiredness clearly visible on his face.

"This day would be perfect if I didn't have to work on the farm tomorrow..." I leaned back on the couch. "Where do you want to sleep? On the couch or the bed?"

"The couch will do." Mac yawned even harder than last time.

"Okay, settle in. I'm going to get a drink." I got up from the couch and went into the kitchen.

"I guess I am, too. If you don't mind, of course." Mac halted for a moment.

"Ah, take what you want." I said, reaching for another can of soda.

A minute later we were both sitting at the table, sipping our drinks.

"Hey, I was wondering..." I broke the silence. "What was going on the day of our fight when I blacked out?"

"Not much..." Mac paused for a moment. "Ambulances, cops, news vans..."

"News vans, huh? They're always so quick when there's a little conflict to stir up around the world..." I said it with sad irony. "Yeah, you got me good, I still get headaches sometimes."

"Hey, you did good too... My nose was bleeding for a while after you hit it." Mac smiled a little.

"Fighting is magic, huh?" I grinned.

"I guess you can put it that way." Mac glanced behind me. "Are you smoking?"

I followed his gaze and saw that it went on a pack of cigarettes lying on the kitchen countertop.

"Yes, sometimes, when I really feel like it. What about you?"

"Same thing." Mac looked away. "Especially when Applejack really bugs me."

"Hey, it's okay. Resorting to bad habits to avoid stress is a common practice. I know that very well." I stood up and picked up a pack of cigarettes. "Shall we go for a smoke?"

Mac agreed without hesitation.

(How much does your sister bother you? I can only guess...)

We went outside and sat on the stairs. A pleasant night breeze began to blow over us. I handed Mac a cigarette and lighter.

"You know..." I took a puff. "Lately I've been wondering... Do you really think we could be friends? Or do you want to end our program and forget these events like a bad dream?"

Mac was silent for a few seconds.

"You want an honest answer?" Mac was serious.

"I guess..."

"I think you weren't too happy when you found out about this program either, right? Neither was I. Of course, I was very frustrated, and I wanted to get it over with quickly. My feelings were a mixture of anger and despair... To be ripped away from my comfort zone when I had finally found a better place in my life... It's not hard to guess that at that moment I hated you, I thought you were the root of all my problems. I couldn't even imagine that we could have even a peaceful conversation with each other... But when we met again here in Equestria, I realized many things. I realized that I wasn't perfect either, and as I said before, this situation could have been completely avoided if we had been guided by common sense instead of wild emotions. Sometimes it's just not worth it, but often we realize it too late." Mac paused, looking at his cigarette. "Damn, my cigarette burned out while I was talking..."

I silently handed him the other one, trying to take in all the information I heard.

"Thank you. So what was I saying there... Ah yes. Anyway, I think we have every chance of a long-term friendship beyond the reformation program. The only question is whether YOU want it."

"I'll tell you what... We'll go to the bar again when we get out of Equestria. I know a good one, you'll love it. They probably have the best beer mankind ever invented." I looked up at the night sky. "Probably even better than those stars."

"Princess Luna wouldn't like those words." Mac smiled.

"Sometimes you have to be able to accept the harsh reality, buddy."

We both chuckled.

"It's getting chilly, huh?" I rubbed my hands together.

"Yeah, I guess we'd better get back inside."

I threw what was left of my cigarette in the bin. A few seconds after we went inside, there was a knock on the door.

"What the...? Who could come this late...?" I turned to Mac. "I'll take care of it, you can go back to the kitchen."

Mac nodded and left, while there was another knock on the door.

(I hope it's not who I think it is...)

When I opened the door, I realized I was right.

"Greetings! We remembered your request from last time, now no sudden teleportation! Just a knock on the door."

I sighed and went outside, closing the door behind me.

"I really appreciate it, Luna, but honestly? Your timing of the visit isn't quite good." My voice was as polite as possible. "I have a guest right now, and our conversations are kind of secret, I guess...?"

"But, we have very good news for you! You're going to love it for sure!" Luna was almost jumping on the spot with excitement.

"I mean, yes, very well, but let's discuss it tomorrow, okay? I think my guest is already beginning to suspect something."

"Vlad, is everything okay?" Mac's voice could be heard even through the closed door.

(Oh shit!)

I gestured to Luna to fly up so that Mac wouldn't see her, and she instantly complied with my request. Then Mac opened the door.

"Is everything okay? I thought I heard a second voice."

"Uh, yeah, I'm fine..." I tried to lie without arousing suspicion. "It was... One of my new friends..."

Mac looked at me suspiciously.

(Am I really that bad of a liar?!)

"Well... If you say it's fine... I'll be in the kitchen." Mac went back into the house.

I breathed a sigh of relief, and then looked around. Luna was nowhere to be seen.

(All right, I'm sure she'll visit me tomorrow and tell me the news that "I will love for sure"...)

After standing outside for a little longer, I went back inside to join Mac.

***

The morning was "great" as usual. After turning off the ringing alarm clock, I lay in bed for a few minutes, staring at the ceiling.

(Why are we still here? Just to suffer?)

When the morning routine was over, I went down to the first floor and was surprised to find that Mac was already awake.

"Buddy, are you ever sleeping?" I asked, starting to make coffee.

"You get used to getting up early when you've lived on a farm all your life." Mac sat down next to me. "Will you make me one, too?"

"Of course." The coffee poured first into one mug and then into the second. "I wish I could get up early so easily..."

"How did you get up for work while you were living on Earth?" Mac raised an eyebrow.

"Well... I've always tried to find a job where I don't have to get up TOO early. In fact, I changed jobs a lot, and I could choose one where I didn't like... But I could get up later! Isn't that cool?" I took a sip of coffee. "I also tried working from home, but I wasn't very good at it... So many distractions, it's hard to stay focused. In fact, if our worlds had found a connection earlier, maybe you would have caught that crazy year! That year we stayed home all the time, and we were advised not to go out. Honestly, it was probably the best time of my life..."

"Yes, I heard something about it while I was on Earth. But honestly, I don't think I'd enjoy sitting at home for a year, it's absurd." Mac reached for his coffee.

"Well, we're all different and we all have our own concepts of the perfect."

"So you like sitting at home so much that you're willing to make sacrifices?" Mac smirked.

"Yeah. Are you going to blame me?" Now it was my turn to raise an eyebrow.

"Haha, of course not. Who do you think I am, a moral cop?" Mac continued our eyebrow-raising contest.

"It's nice to know you're not." I said, finishing my coffee. "Well, shall we go? I don't think your sister will be happy if we're late."

"You want to check it out?" Mac grinned even more than last time.

"Not really..." my heart skipped a beat.

We arrived just in time - Applejack was already waiting for us at the entrance to the apple farm.

"There he is!" Applejack approached Mac. "You could have at least warned me! I was a little worried, you know."

"Take it easy sister, I'm not a foal anymore."

"Hey Applej-"

"Okay, big guys, let's go. We've got a lot of work to do." Applejack headed to the pile of empty baskets.

"-ack..." I did a poker face.

(Do you really need to do that to me?)

"First time?" Mac patted me on the back.

I just sighed and followed him.

***

"And that's it for today. Good work, boys!" Applejack looked at the full baskets of apples.

But I was not at all happy with these apples. By this time I wanted only one thing... To lie down.

"Are you okay, sugarcube?" Applejack stood over me as I lay on the grass.

"Do I look okay?" I asked ironically.

"Oh, don't worry, you'll get used to it." Applejack grinned.

I got up from the ground and rubbed my aching arms.

(I need a shower, and a rest... That's all I want right now.)

"Hey, is that Spike running?" Applejack pointed in his direction.

And indeed, it was Spike. He was running toward us, holding some scroll with a seal on it.

"There you are! Whew!" Spike held out the scroll to me. "Twilight asked me to give you this letter from Princess Celestia as soon as possible. There's something important in there."

"Wow, Spike, you're fast as lightning! " I was fascinated.

"Thank you!" Spike was breathing heavily. "Okay, I should get back to Twilight, see you soon!"

"What's the rush?" Mac called out after Spike.

"Must be something REALLY important!" I unfolded the letter and began to read it.

As I read the letter, my eyes widened and my mouth opened without my permission.

"NO. FUCKING. WAY." That's all I could say.

"Hey, watch your language!" Applejack glared at me menacingly.

"Sorry girl, but these news is too good to keep out the profanity!" I walked up to Mac and handed him the letter. "Would you look at that!"