• Published 5th Sep 2021
  • 4,860 Views, 112 Comments

Only Human - Abremelinthemagus



Out of all the punishments sometimes the most merciful is also the cruelest.

Comments ( 8 )

That's one of the most interesting explanations for pony aggression that I've ever heard. Well done, an impressive amount of thought went into this chapter.

Theory… in the last chapter Celestia mentioned ponies don’t tend to have (or at least show signs) of mental disability. What if it’s not because of superiority, but rather because they don’t tolerate it? As they care about the good of the Herd over the individual, just removing a problem foal and “trying again” is seen as a better option. Sort of like Euthanasia that the Germans practiced in ww2, it’s not uncommon for horses to kill foals in the wild for this reason after all. Even with tamed horses, it’s not uncommon either.

11354935
Didn't think of that. Admittedly the mental health issues thing is specifically due to biology of how their brains are constructed, and comes at the downside of leaving them much more vulnerable to magical corruption than even most other species on Equus. However I wouldn't be surprised if eugenics was practiced to a much later date than in human societies and that even by the shows period in this canon, they weren't that concerned about a few weak foals falling through the cracks.
Keep in mind I'm not saying that ponies are any more inherently evil than humans, just that this is to them what our violent chimp aspects are to us. The mark of a sapient species and a truly good individual is to rise above the archaic vileness of our species past and get just a bit closer to godhood.

Pear, Pear, Pear... oh you poor thing.

People can rise above their darker instincts. The Resistance as a whole is, to quote the Castlevania's 'anime', the ponies who stood up and said "No, we won't behave like animals anymore!" and tried to stay true to the spirit of harmony and friendship. They're the reason ponies and humans can coexist, rather than one side treating the other as an enemy to keep crushed under a boot heel.

If they can be the true heralds of friendship and harmony, maybe there's hope for the future.

Well written and very fucked up, in the best sort of way. I love how it takes the grim conclusions of the setting and follows down their logical path.

11366544
Geology, fauna and flora are supposedly unharmed by the barrier's passing. It specifically states that "humans or things made by humans" (implied to be manufactured or artificial stuff, not plants and animals) get wiped out. So vast tracts of land would look weird, as though there were buildings or roads here and there but someone did a rush job in Photoshopping them out. And yes, "man-made" includes ancient historical sites or whatever artifacts or ruins were in the way. Celestia didn't create the barrier (that came about as a byproduct of the transfer) but damn if she didn't take full advantage of it.

Is this fic dead?

Login or register to comment