• Published 20th Aug 2021
  • 667 Views, 49 Comments

A New Fairy Tale - Marina Stars



Discord returns to Canterlot bringing destruction in his wake. Celestia is overthrown, her daughters loose their memories. All but two who still pose a threat to Discord's reign. A rewrite of my original fanfic of the same name.

  • ...
1
 49
 667

Under a Gathering Storm

Author's Note:

Enjoy!

Through the crumbling ceiling of the long forgotten caste, the sun finally made its way into the abandoned throne room where Sunset rested. She’d slept long and deep, her body compensating for the magical exertion the night before. Finally stirring, she once again scared off the curious critters who’d made their way into the castle. On shaky hooves she rose to her haunches, every muscle within her crying out in protest. Lay a little longer. Rest.

But she couldn't. The aching of her body was nothing compared to the aching of her heart. It came with the knowledge that they shouldn't have lost. She was supposed to be the protector. She was supposed to keep her sisters safe. Nothing could compare to the sorrow of failing in a minute at what she’d spent years training for.

Her family was gone and she could do nothing, not for a long time.

If only they’d had a few more years, some time to grow up before Discord returned. If only they’d been together.

If only. If only. If only.

That night, just last night, the castle buzzed with activity as servants ran about through busy halls and corridors in preparation for the much talked about birthday celebration in honor of the youngest princess who had blessed their lives from the day she was born.

Sunset Shimmer's job that night was to watch over the filly, and the two kept busy by getting themselves ready.

Fluttershy had been a beautiful young filly with a soft buttercream yellow coat and sparkling teal eyes. Although she was young, everypony knew she would grow up to be an enchanting beauty, a rose of the rarest kind. That, paired with her heart of gold and infinite kindness, would make her a fine mare beloved by the ponies of her kingdom.

It was a simple fact that the filly of eight years had already won the love of all who met her and if she had been the one destined for the throne, no pony would have complained. As it was, she was the youngest, and thus furthest from the throne, not that she cared, the filly certainly was more inclined to the lush greenery of the palace gardens than the velvet cushions of the throne room. Still, she would serve the ponies well. Any role she chose in the kingdom would allow her to further bless the lives of the citizens.

Sunset Shimmer stood by, helping her into a simple green gown decorated at the waist with small flowers, the back of the bodice laced up with a green silk ribbon, and the skirts flowed freely. The gown had been made to look sweet and beautifully innocent, a look that suited the filly perfectly.

Sunset herself- a unicorn with a fiery red and yellow mane not to be forgotten, and a golden coat like sunshine- wore a simple gown, as befitting of the occasion; a black bodice decorated with beads of onyx, and a red skirt with layers of glittering tulle draped over top.

“Sunset?” Fluttershy asked softly in the gentle manner of a princess, “When can we go to the party?”

“Soon,” Sunset smiled, tugging on the laces of the filly’s gown, careful not to pull too tight, “It won’t be too much longer. By the time we’re ready, everything else should be ready too.”

The King, Queen, and other princesses had wanted the plans and decorations to be a surprise for the young filly. This would be her first birthday celebration with more than just her family- even if that meant the simple inclusion of the servants and a few close friends. That was all they needed. Even for a small gathering it was looking up to be quite the event.

Everypony wanted tonight to be just right. That is why Sunset volunteered to watch Fluttershy, to make sure she would be entertained, and have someone to talk to while the others were busy that evening. That, and to be sure she wouldn't try to peek.

Although Fluttershy was a good natured filly, without an evil bone in her body, she had surprised them once or twice with her cleverness. And after what some of her sisters had attempted at her age-namely Rainbow Dash and Pinkamina- they figured it would be best to take no chances and avoid ruining the surprise.

Despite what should have been a perfect scene, Sunset felt unexpectedly on edge. Something was off in the air.

Her horn buzzed faintly all night, almost like it was picking up spikes of magic. Unfamiliar magic. She dared to say dangerous magic. And that worried her. The sensation felt like lightning before it strikes, a warning of an oncoming storm. She feared what it could be and hoped she was wrong, that this was due to the unexplained storm clouds that had rolled in that very evening.

Either way, she would not let the happy atmosphere be ruined by her worrying. Fluttershy deserved better than that.

So, with a smile she finished lacing up the gown. No sooner than she’d done so did Fluttershy begin to squirm in excitement. While normally a quiet and timid filly, she had quite a bit of the buoyant energy you’d expect from an eight year old.

It was her birthday, after all.

“Can you do my mane now, please!” Fluttershy pleaded, earning a smile from her sister who knew that the filly loved having her mane brushed or played with.

“Of course, Fluttershy,” Sunset smiled, “As long as you sit still and stop wiggling.”

Fluttershy nodded and promptly quit moving so Sunset could do as requested. The unicorn levitated a brush and began to run it through her sister’s soft locks, being sure to remove all tangles and smooth down any frizz, of course there wasn't much issue with that since Fluttershy’s mane was very fine and easy to work with. Had this been Pinkamina, well, that would have been an entirely different story.

Sunset set aside the brush and set to work expertly braiding Fluttershy’s mane, taking time to weave ribbons and flowers in as she went. And when she finished, she fastened it off with another ribbon, the same green as her skirt.

“There,” Sunset said, moving to let Fluttershy see her reflection in the mirror, “Done,”

The young princess gasped in amazement “Pretty,” She whispered softly, before she suddenly turned to her sister and embraced her in a tight hug “Thank you Sunny,”

Sunset smiled fondly at her sister’s nickname for her and returned the hug with a laugh, “Of course Flutters,”

Although Sunset hated delaying the filly any further, they had not yet received word that it was time to make their entrance. Good thing there was one last thing to take care of, else they might have had to find new ways to entertain themselves.

“Before we go,” Sunset levitated two small boxes, one wrapped in a soft pink paper and tied with a deep blue ribbon, and the other slightly larger and wrapped in golden paper and tied with a pink ribbon.

The filly looked at them with wonder and curiosity.

“What are those?”

“This one,” Sunset handed Fluttershy the small pink box for her to open, “Is my gift to you,”

Fluttershy smiled and opened it gently, but with growing excitement to find what was inside. She pushed aside a layer of tissue paper to reveal a gold locket with a pink jeweled butterfly in the front and her name engraved in elegant cursive lettering on the back. Fluttershy.

When she opened it, she discovered it’s enchantment: beautiful images of Fluttershy and her sisters, her parents, her entire family swirlied endlessly before her eyes. It was not the ordinary locket which held only a memory or two, but something far more magnificent.

Fluttershy’s smile deepened as beautiful moments replayed themselves for her.

“Oh! Thank you Sunset! Thank you! I love it!” Fluttershy threw her arms around Sunset again, squeezing her tightly.

“I knew you would,” Sunset returned the hug, “Now you can always keep your family close to your heart, even when we aren’t all together. All you need to do is think of those you love and your best memories will always follow,”

“I’ll never take it off,” Fluttershy vowed as Sunset levitated the necklace in her brilliant jade aura in order to fasten it around the filly’s neck

“I’m glad to hear it. As for this other gift...” Sunset retrieved the other box and set it in the filly’s hooves, “This is from mother, she would have given it to you later, but she wanted you to have it for the party.”

Fluttershy’s interest piqued as she began to open her second gift. Inside the box lay a simple jeweled tiara that’s shape resembled an elegant little lotus flower, small and delicate. In the center petal rested a pink butterfly jewel. Their mother, Celestia, had commissioned a tiara made for each of her daughters on their eighth birthdays, and each had been made to be as unique as the girls who’d wear them. These crowns marked their special role in the kingdom, and in each of their families. It had become a tradition for the royal family, as well as a necessity. And now every daughter had a tiara of her own.

“It’s beautiful,” Fluttershy gasped, admiring the lovely headpiece and allowing Sunset to gently remove it from the box. With great care the elder sister placed it in its rightful place atop Fluttershy’s head, tucking it into her mane. When she was satisfied that it would not budge during the party, she stepped back and looked into the mirror at Fluttershy.

“There,” Sunset whispered, “Now you’re ready.”

The filly practically glowed, her joy, love, and kind heart radiated in her delicate features, her beauty shining out from within. Though she was still so young, Sunset knew she would grow up to be one of the most beautiful mares in the land with a grace about her that would undoubtedly go unmatched by anypony, even her own sisters. It was for these reasons and many more that Sunset considered Fluttershy her favorite sister, though she would never admit it out loud… she still loved every one of her little sisters greatly.

Sunset glanced at the door, her worry deepening. The filly was ready, and despite the fact Sunset took extra time to prepare, no word had come.

Even as she busied herself tidying up the room and chatting with Fluttershy to pass the time, she couldn't shake the feeling something wasn't right. It was a rare occurrence, but tonight she hoped she was wrong.

The buzzing grew stronger with every passing minute, her magic even cutting out sporadically. Lucky for her, Fluttershy didn't notice. The last thing she needed was for the filly to worry too. She didn't have an acute sense for magic, unlike unicorns. Briefly, Sunset wondered if Twilight felt the sensation too and if she had figured the magical implications? Or was this only in her head?

A knock finally came. Despite anticipating it for several long minutes, it startled Sunset enough to pull her out of her own head.

Fluttershy perked up, sitting taller, and the elder princess sighed in relief once over her initial surprise.

“Come in!” Sunset called.

The door opened and revealed a young purple dragon with green scales dressed nicely in a suit. Spike, as you may well know, had been hatched from an egg by Twilight when she was young, a feat that had earned her a cutie-mark for her skills with magic. From that day on, Spike became like the brother the royal sisters never had. A brother she hoped they’d never go without.

“Hi Spike,” Fluttershy said with a wave, and the young dragon waved back with a smile.

A nervous smile.

Sunset’s stomach formed into knots.

“Is something wrong, Spike?”

“I was sent to tell you it’s time, but…”

“But,” a deeper voice cut in, “There has been a change of plans.”

A regal gray unicorn stallion stepped up from behind Spike. He stood tall and strong, with a mane black as midnight and eyes like emeralds. Atop his head rested a crown of polished silver and rubies. This was the king of Canterlot, their father, King Sombra.

“Papa!” Fluttershy beamed and ran into his arms.

“Oh! Don’t you look absolutely stunning!” He laughed heartily, squeezing her tight.

She giggled, “Thank you papa,”

“We did want to look our best for tonight,” Sunset smiled warmly, stepping out into the hall with them.

“As you should!” He boomed,

“What do you think, Father?” Fluttershy asked sweetly, her big blue eyes shining with an overwhelming mixture of innocence, hope, and joy that nearly made the king’s heart burst.

“I think you could wear a potato sack and still look as beautiful as you do now,” He answered playfully, pulling his little filly in for another hug.

She giggled too, trying to wiggle free, “Papa! I’m serious!” she insisted, and pouted adorably when he responded with a booming laugh.

“As am I darling,” He replied, pulling her a little closer as she stopped protesting. She smiled and put her hooves around him again in another embrace as he whispered tenderly to her, “Your beauty comes from within, little flower. Your kind heart has always shone through, and always will, no matter what. Remember that my darling.”

“I will papa,” She whispered back, “I promise,”

“Good,”

They finally let go of the other and the king turned to Sunset, his eyes focused. The mirth he’d just held disappeared.

“Is something the matter, Father?”

He heaved a heavy sigh, shaking his head, “I wish it wasn't so.”

So she’d been right. Her gut was telling her all along that something was amiss. Why tonight?

“What is it?”

He allowed himself a small smile, one that was almost sad, “Nothing you haven't prepared for.”

Sunset’s heart skipped a beat.

“It seems an old foe of your mother’s has, at last, returned.”

There was only one being she’d been prepared to fight against. One creature whom she’d trained specifically to stand against. And there was only one way to stop him.

“Are you sure, father?”

He nodded solemnly. “Celestia has already sent your sisters to meet you. We suspect she will be his first target. Thus buying all of you some time. Luna has hidden but will be at your side should anything go wrong.”

Sunset didn't know how to respond. How could she? On one hoof she had a terribly bad feeling about this. On the other, his eyes begged her to trust herself. He had full confidence in her, so did her mother. But her sisters were still so young. Were they ready for this fight? Heck, she was still young. Could she lead them?

Fluttershy looked worriedly between her sister and father, “What’s going on papa?”

He turned to her, offering her the warmest smile he could, “You have a job to do, a special mission if you will. Listen to Sunset, do everything she says, and things will turn out alright my little flower. Can you do that?”

“I’ll try papa,”

“Good, now you must hurry. Time is of the essence.” He pulled both mares in for a tight hug, speaking quietly to Sunset, “Remember, no matter what happens to me, whatever happens to your mother, you do what must be done. You are their protector.”

When he pulled away he saw tears forming in her eyes, a fear of what may come, and a determination to come out triumphant. “I won't let this be good-bye, father.”

“I know you won’t.” He ushered them away, gave his final orders to Spike and ran to the ballroom to await his foe. He gave them one last meaningful look as both watched the other over their shoulders. “I have full faith in you.”

It took all her strength to keep a brave face for Fluttershy as they rushed through the palace halls. Even with the sinking feeling of dread. Even with her horn buzzing painfully, more than before. Even knowing the possibility that they may not be fast enough to help her mother. She had to have faith she could still save their kingdom.

Was that the cost of harmony? Or even a few seconds delay?

As you may have guessed, their sisters never made it.

The air outside the palace was more full of that staggering chaos energy than the inside had been. Her own magic reacted harshly to it.

Then came the sensation of great loss, and an anguished cry from somewhere within the gardens.

Despite the rain patterning around them, she knew that voice.

Twilight

Sunset would have rushed to her side, but the sensation came again stopping her in her tracks. Another loss.

Somehow, and she had to trust her gut instinct, she knew.

She knew he’d gone after her sisters.

Chaos had taken the route they’d all hoped against.

She knew they weren't going to make it.

‘They are forgetting.’ Her Aunt Luna’s voice warned in the back of her mind. ‘You will too if you do not act quickly.’

As she felt the pain of each sister’s loss, she knew she might only have a few seconds to act. Even a second's delay could mean complete and total victory for their foe.

So she held Fluttershy close, desperate to protect the last, biting her cheek in hopes that it would stop her from crying.

“Fluttershy, I need you to listen carefully.” She forced the fear out of her voice, replacing it with what she hoped sounded like certainty and strength. “Equestria is in danger. Our family is in danger.” She could feel herself shaking, “And we might be the only two who can save them. That means doing everything in my power to make sure you are safe. It means I have to go away for a while.”

“What!?” She gasped, “Sunset, no!”

“We are the last hope for our kingdom, Fluttershy. Our enemy, Discord, is extremely powerful. If we try to fight him now we’ll surely fail. We must hide so that he can not find us. But we can’t hide together.”

“Sunset-”

“What I’m about to ask of you will be hard, but I know you can do it.” The filly nodded despite her fear filled eyes, and Sunset was proud of her, “I need you to stay here in Canterlot, in the palace. Discord won’t think to look for you here.”

“Why not?”

“He knows I am supposed to hide you, to protect you at all costs. I have no doubt about that. Everyone expects us to go somewhere far, far, away. That’s the first place he’ll search. But right here, under his nose: he’ll never suspect you.”

“But won’t he recognise me? Won’t everypony know me?”

“I’m taking precautions.” She assured her, “I’ll cast a spell so no one, not even he, will remember you. When I do, you will no longer be Fluttershy, but one of many palace servants: Rosewater Ivy. Remember that name. It’s yours now.”

“Rosewater…” She tested the name, her nose wrinkling at all the questions running through her head. “But why-?”

“I need you to trust me. If I had time to give you all the answers I would, but I don't. The cost of even a few seconds is great. I need you to trust me. You are a servant. You will only be known as such. Stay calm, stay quiet, and please, for the love of our family, don’t get noticed. The more you fade into the background of his attention the better. But never forget. Please, never forget your family. Can you do that for me? Please?”

The filly nodded, tears filling her eyes. Her hooves wrapped around the locket Sunset had just gifted her. The unicorn made a mental note to add a masking spell to it. Something to keep it from being noticed by anypony who didn't know it was there. “When will I see you again?”

“It’ll be a long time… but I promise I’ll be back,” Sunset pulled her into a desperate hug. She had a feeling it would be many years before she could make sense of this mess. Many more till her sister was ready. But she had to hold on to hope that the day would come when they could save their family… or at least their kingdom.

She felt the strike one final, crushing loss and knew time was up.

“I’ll miss you,” The sweet pegasus cried into her shoulder as they savored what would surely be their last embrace for many years.

“I’ll miss you too.” Sunset’s horn at last lit with jade magic, which enveloped the two in it’s surprising warmth. She concentrated on the transformation they must undergo: a spell severing them from their own names, erasing all memory and trace of themselves till Sunset Shimmer and Fluttershy were nothing more than sorrowful whispers on the lips of ponies.

No loose ends, she reminded herself, deepening her concentration. As she felt the spell coming to it’s fulfillment she held her little sister as tightly as she dared, hopingthe filly would remember her embrace. “Goodbye Fluttershy,”

In an overwhelming burst of light that pulled the two away from each other it was over.

Leaving Fluttershy in Canterlot was one of the hardest things she could do, but keeping the two of them together was far more dangerous.

The simple fact that she was still here in the castle of the two sisters with her memory intact, rather than in a dungeon or in some far corner of Equestria without her memories, meant she had succeeded.

She hadn’t failed yet.

And she didn't intend on starting anytime soon.

Not until she had her whole family back.

Still, her heart ached. “I will see you again,” She choked out, feeling hot and angry tears.

Discord would pay for what he’d done to her family. This wasn't the end.

No, it was only the beginning.

She pushed herself off the floor, trudging to the crumbling thrones that had belonged to Celestia and Luna in the early days of Equestria. She pushed Luna’s throne aside with only some difficulty, revealing a long forgotten passageway. She bravely stepped in, sealing the door shut behind her.

Discord might have secured himself a few years on the throne, but when she returned, after she found her sisters, after this mess was sorted and they were together again, he’d pay dearly for ever thinking to seperate them.

Next time, she would not lose.

Fluttershy sat up with a gasp, her heart pounding fiercely at the nightmare she’d woken from.

She clung to the thin blanket draped over her as she realized she wasn't in her own room.

Gone were the welcoming colors of spring, grand windows, and cozy furnishings she’d been accustomed to. They’d been replaced by smaller windows and bland walls with cots and bunk beds in every corner.

So it wasn't all a dream?

The royal family was gone….

Her family.

Her sisters.

Gone to who knows where.

And she never got the chance to say goodbye.

Meanwhile she was forgotten, as promised by Sunset. No pony had remembered her as Princess Fluttershy. That filly did not exist anymore.

But she couldn't forget. She wouldn't forget, even when it was dangerous to remember. With Discord taking the throne, she could never go back to her old life. Well… not never, she hoped. But not for a very long time.

And she didn't know when that would be.

She sighed and stared at the ceiling, hooves lifting to the chain she wore around her neck. And there, tucked into the neckline of her nightgown, was that small golden locket. She wrapped her hooves around the trinket. Something she knew would always remind her of who she was.

She clenched her eyes, fighting the tears as she remembered how wonderfully the evening had begun. And how terribly it had ended. While she hardly knew what was happening, she knew Discord terrified her. She’d only spent minutes in his presence but everything about him-his mismatched body, his razor sharp teeth, his dangerous red eyes-had her trembling in fear< shuddering at the memory. That was he who`d turned her world upside down. That was he who’d left the ballroom a shattered mess. There was no doubt a battle had taken place there. She just wished she could have seen her family’s work before it was destroyed.

Last night felt like a fairytale gone wrong.

Once upon a time there was a family… A royal family. A king, a queen, and seven princesses.

Once upon a time they hoped to come together to celebrate their youngest princess.

And once upon a time that princess was called Fluttershy…

But not anymore.

Fluttershy would be forgotten with the rest of the royal family.

She would have to forget too.

Not completely. Not for forever.

Sunset’s promise repeated, only slightly overshadowed by Discord’s more sinister one.

You belong to the castle now. The pain and the memories will all fade in time.

Of the two, she hoped Sunset’s held true. She couldn't bear to forget her family. The fact that she hadn't yet had to be a good sign, right? Perhaps he thought they would lose hope, and that's how they forget. Perhaps he wasn't expecting them to try to remember. Well, she didn't intend to ever forget. While she would pretend, while she would lie, and while she would hide, she would never forget her family. She loved them too much. She would wait anxiously for their return, and pray Sunset would figure things out soon.

For now, her fairytale had been re-written. Now she was Rosewater Ivy. Orphaned and alone.

Comments ( 6 )

“I’m taking precautions.” She assured her, “I’ll cast a spell so no one, not even he, will remember you. When I do, you will no longer be Fluttershy, but one of many palace servants: Rosewater Ivy. Remember that name. It’s yours now.”

Ohhhhhhhhhh wow

Oh man it looks like we went back when Discord separate everybody are the only ones who are left is Sunset and Fluttershy it looks like they will preparing for her birthday but unfortunately it cut short because Discord it started to attack the castle and even kidnapping Fluttershy sisters and then separate them without any memories Sunset had to do what she has to do to protect Fluttershy she has to change her identity so Discord won't recognize her and no matter how painful it is she has to be stay strong hopefully sunsets we'll figure this thing out to find them and stop Discord once and for all but until then Fluttershy is rose water basically she just has to be there keep an eye on the castle and what is Discord doing hopefully he will not notice her since he to forgotten who they are which apparently it's a theme now forgotten well well I just hope they find a way I wonder how they're going to do this I guess we'll find out next time

11169165
No problem your story is very interesting and I did like how you set up the beginning of the story and seen how the Mane 6 are doing after the separation I can't wait to see how the rest will go

Update soon please. Like this fanfiction.

11169165
Great story. Can't wait for more chapters.

11590723
All of the chapter titles are quotes/references to musicals. "Something’s Missing, Something’s Lost" comes from the show 'Come From Away'

I'm glad to see you've enjoyed the story thus far. Updates will be coming soon, I just finished a chapter of life which kept me far too busy to write or post anything which would explain why it's been a while. Thank you for taking the time to comment!

Login or register to comment