• Published 21st May 2021
  • 1,998 Views, 13 Comments

The Persistence of Love - Undome Tinwe



Time passes, and ponies change. But Twilight Sparkle knows that love persists, even as it changes as well.

  • ...
8
 13
 1,998

Choices


Choices


"I really enjoyed myself," Twilight said as she picked up the napkin and daintily wiped her mouth.

"I had a wonderful time as well," Cadance replied. "Thank you."

"Should we ask for the check?" The advantage of having everypony looking at them was that she knew she wouldn't have to wait long to attract a waiter's attention.

Cadance snorted. "As if they'll let us pay it."

"It's still polite," Twilight replied. "It's important for us to set a good example."

"Fair enough." Cadance raised her hoof and made a signing motion in the air. A moment later, the bill was placed on the table by the maître d'.

Another snort from Cadance after he left them alone in their bubble once again. "Yup, paid in full already."

Twilight shrugged. "That's just how the game is played here." She lit up her horn and summoned up a stack of bits from her private treasury, then left it on the tray as a "tip." "That should cover it."

Cadance sighed. "Don't you ever get tired of playing by all these secret rules?"

"All the time," Twilight admitted. "I really want to just reach over and hug you, or kiss you, or do any of the things that couples do, but we all have our roles to follow. It's important to keep things predictable and ordered as best we can, for the good of Equestria."

"There's something to be said for shaking things up, though," Cadance rebutted. "And love is many things, but it shouldn't ever be predictable. Sometimes, you have to lose yourself in the heat of the moment and see what kind of new opportunities unfold for you." Without warning, she stood up.

Instinctively, Twilight did the same. "What—"

Her words were cut off as, in the blink of an eye, her date crossed the distance between them and swept her up in her hooves. "I want you so much, Twilight," Cadance whispered, leaning down. "I need you."

Shock immediately gave way to panic as Twilight's eyes widened. "Cadance!" she hissed. "They can see us!" She didn't dare look around to see how the other patrons were reacting to Cadance's impropriety.

"So what?" Cadance replied. "I don't care about them. I care about you, Twilight. Life is full of choices, and we don't have to let fate or other people decide what we do. Listen to your heart."

It was honestly hard not to do as Cadance said, considering how loudly said organ was hammering within Twilight's chest. Part of her wanted to glance around, to evaluate the reactions of the ponies around her and make a calculated decision about the risk of doing what she so desperately wanted to do.

But Cadance was right. Love was about more than logic and reason and social convention. It was about listening to what mattered most. She leaned in and let her lips press against her date's.

The soundproofing spell shattered as passion overwhelmed Twilight's senses, and she dimly heard the sound of applause as she gave herself fully to this mare who held so much love in her heart.


"Rarity would have had a fit if she were here to see that," Twilight said, snickering as she pointed to a stallion with a top hat decorated with far too many gems.

Discord winced. "I'm a Spirit of Chaos and even I think that's a bit much. Honestly, the state of fashion these days."

Twilight refrained from commenting on the fact that he was currently dressed up in a retro outfit that hadn't been in vogue for over four decades. "So, what happens now?" she asked.

"Hmm?" Discord glanced at her curiously, but before he could say more, the door to the dining room opened to reveal the waiter carrying their meals on a tray. They thanked him before returning to their conversation.

"Well, our dinners are here now," Twilight explained, "and so far, everything's gone according to plan. We had a nice chat, we made fun of the prices and the stuffy ponies here, it's all following the schedule."

"Isn't what you wanted?" Discord asked, raising an eyebrow. "I wanted to make this happy night for you."

"Yes, but it's not you," Twilight replied. "You've been a perfect gentledraconequus this whole night, and you're never a perfect anything. Perfection is your antithesis." She trotted over to him, thanking Cadance for giving her the confidence she needed for this, and lifted his chin up with a hoof. "I want to go on a date with you, Discord."

Discord's eyes widened in realization, and then he smirked. "Your wish is my command, princess."

He raised up his claw, and snapped.

The walls around them fell away, leaving them and their dinner table floating in a void surrounded by portals of all shapes, sizes, and orientations. "The restaurant was fun," Discord said conversationally, "but a little too symmetric for my taste." His smirk widened. "How would you like to enjoy your meal in a universe where distance is a function of order of operation?"

Twilight's heart skipped a beat, and she thrust herself forward to lock her lips with Discord in a passionate kiss, letting the fire in her heart consume them both. "Let's go," she said breathily.

All but one of the portals faded away, and as they drifted over towards it, Twilight let a contented smile rest on her expression. Discord was very different from Cadance, and dating him would be a whole other experience, but she wouldn't have it any other way.

Twilight had made her choices, and she was going to enjoy every moment of the consequences of them.

Comments ( 9 )

Oh how cadence swept twilight off her feet made my heart a flutter.
And i really must know what can cost 100 bits

This one was lovely. Both comedy, romance and feel. :twilightsmile:

Such an interesting structure! And I'm left ruminating on the spectrum of Twidance outcomes leading up to Twicord, ...

God, I love this story. And while I acknowledge that I do hold some bias because it's an extension of a story I wrote, I truly do think it is just incredible.

I love your characterizations here. Your Twilight is impeccable, which shouldn't be a surprise to anyone who has read your work, but Discord and Cadance are delightful as well. You captured Twilight's dynamics with each of them really well too. I think I love it so much because it feels like a take on them totally unique to you, one that doesn't detract from the original piece, but instead adds so much more depth and nuance to all of their interactions.

You know, when I submitted With the Thought of Us, I was expecting either a prequel with more TwiDance, or a sequel with more TwiCord. To get both in one story is such a treat. And the way you structured this so that the two parts, past and present, intertwine and play off of each other... It's almost like a dance. It's truly beautiful to see.

There's so much more I could say as well. This story is tender in its interactions, and so natural in its conversations. There are so many interesting ideas presented--the whole bit with prophecies, for instance. Just so much fantastic writing here.

This story is everything I could have wanted from an expansion, and then some. A perfect follow-up, and one better than any I could have made thanks to your unique perspective. Thank you for this.

I loved this so much, the parallels between the two first dates so interesting. It truly shows how Twi’s relationship with Cadance has boosted her confidence and made her more relaxed in these types of situations. The characterisation for all three is just so on point and the kiss between Cadance and Twi was extremely heartwarming, considering they had to act almost distant on their first dates.

Great work, really hope we get more of these three

Absolutely delightful

.great saga of fics, very heartwarming

This was great! It took a bit for me to realize that it was jumping back and forth in time, but that structure worked really well for it. Twilight's relationship with Cadance and Discord is presented wonderfully here, and makes them work in a way I haven't seen elsewhere (other than wish's original story).

Wonderful indeed

Login or register to comment