• Published 19th Mar 2020
  • 20,340 Views, 4,620 Comments

Fine Print - Starscribe



Tracy needed somewhere to stay, how was he supposed to know that it was in another universe? Now he'll somehow have to hold down a job on Earth while living as a pony in Equestria. It's either that, or say goodbye to being human.

  • ...
51
 4,620
 20,340

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 49

Tracy wasn't sure what to expect from his first Earthside date with Roseluck. But then again, he barely knew what to expect from a date with someone he didn't know. Until now, he'd been friends with everyone he'd had a relationship with before they got together. There was nothing to discover when you had gone to school and knew the entire life-story of everyone remotely in your age bracket.

Occasionally he had to remind himself that Rose was decently similar in age to himself, or at least physical and mental maturity.

Going to the aquarium was almost a return to normalcy, though there'd been nothing half as exciting to do in Ely. The place was mostly visited by families and school groups, so the evening shift kept the aquarium almost deserted. That worked out fine for the two of them. There certainly wasn't any trouble a couple could get into while walking through dark, quiet hallways with only the fish to witness.

Fortunately he wasn't a teenager anymore, and he hadn't drunk enough to lose track of common sense. He did his best to redirect Rose's attention to the exhibits, which worked decently well. "They have so many colors!" she exclaimed, in front of one of the shallow reef exhibits. "I thought your world didn't have any interesting colors, but look here! Why do we look so similar?" She held out her arm, comparing it to his.

He shrugged. "Probably something about biology or the origin of species on our different worlds. There's more variety than just the two of us, but... it isn't as exciting as Equestria, you're right."

He couldn't help but glance up and down the hall as he said it, feeling increasingly self-conscious. But there were only a handful of other visitors, and they all kept their distance. With the aquarium so empty, each group could basically have the whole thing to themselves. "Given our history, I think we're better off with the kinds of humans we have. You have us beat on that. But we have all these interesting fish."

He watched a bright orange clownfish dance around its pink anemone for a few seconds. But it just couldn't hold his interest the way his companion could.

"What history is that? Do you have a Hearth’s Warming too?" Now it was her turn to shuffle around embarrassed. Of course that only made her seem more attractive, because basically everything did. She spoke quietly, like she was about to confide some critical secret to him. "Were your tribes at war too? I'm trying to figure out if it makes sense or not. Parts of this place are so different, but other things feel the same. I can't figure out the pattern."

"Yes," he said flatly. "I don't know what Hearth’s Warming is, but yes. We had 'tribal wars'. That's probably the right amount of detail. We should focus on something more fun. Anything else you want to know about my world?"

She let him take her arm, and lead them to another exhibit. Octopi this time, two of them swirling around inside a tank. They wrestled with a few shells, tearing them open before her eyes.

"You think there's enough space in there?" Rose asked, resting her free hand on the glass. She looked down the row, concerned. "This doesn't look much bigger than the last few tanks. But these are bigger animals. Whatever they are."

"California Two-spot," he read from the card. "And... I have no idea. I don't know if they care."

She pulled away from him, suddenly enough that he stumbled for a step. He caught himself before he could fall over, resting his good arm against the fake stone wall.

Why the hell am I so clumsy all the sudden? I broke my arm, not my head.

But Rose hadn't noticed, or being equally clumsy herself it didn't seem unusual to her. "I don't know very much about caring for animals," she began. "Plants are hard enough. But they're going crazy in there, can't you see? Tearing up their toys like that... we should tell someone. Maybe they didn't notice."

"I... okay." Tracy considered the request for a few seconds, trying to figure out a harmless way for Rose to voice her concerns. But would the aquarium even care? "But it might just be something they do, Rose. Maybe they like small spaces. Or maybe they like tearing shells apart."

Rose didn't seem happy with that answer, and this time she didn't let herself get distracted. "We should be able to leave a written complaint," he eventually suggested. "Just in case. But I really don't think it will be a big deal. They seemed healthy enough to me."

They didn't enjoy the rest of the exhibits, which were as new to Tracy as they were to Rose. Rather, they cut straight to the front of the aquarium, and Tracy had to ask a bored-looking young woman at the help desk where they could file a complaint.

"Is something wrong with your visit?" She sat up, looking between them. But whatever she was expecting, she didn't see it.

"Nothing was wrong with your aquarium," Rose began. "I just wanted to tell someone about the... California Spotted octopus? I don't think they had enough space. They looked so miserable."

"Oh." Her expression faded back into annoyance. Whatever she'd been afraid of, they clearly weren't going to bring it. "I can give you a card to fill out, if you want. I'll make sure our lead naturalist gets it. What she does with it..." She shrugged one shoulder.

Rose took the complaint card, ignored the various blanks for the details of their visit, and started scribbling on it sideways. Tracy leaned over her shoulder, squinting at what she was writing. English, somehow. The Worldgate again. But is it translating, or do we just happen to share a language?

"Here." Rose proffered it across the desk moments later. "I don't know if it's anything to worry about or not, but it breaks my heart that those little creatures might be in pain."

At least it didn't sour the rest of the night. Rose didn't seem bothered by the other exhibits, though Tracy shuddered to consider what she might think of a cetacean exhibit. But there were no dolphin or otter shows after dark, so they didn't have to confront that particular aspect of the aquarium.

"Now no visit would be complete without a tour of the gift shop," he declared, gesturing inside. There was a shelf of stuffed animals against the far wall, several times higher than they were. It took only a few more seconds for Rose to notice.

At least he'd guessed one thing right. She squealed, nearly tripping over herself in her eagerness to reach them. "Who are all these for, Tracy?"

He followed, wincing at her volume. But if the single employee noticed, he didn't say anything. "Anyone who visits," he said. "You, if you want one."

"I would like a souvenir of our trip," she said. "It might be the only time I ever come out here. They're so cute!"

Tracy didn't quite make it to the back shelf. But there was something reflected in a mirror on a shirt-rack, something so strange that it brought him up short. He froze, looking back at himself in confusion.

His own reflection stared back, exactly the way he expected to look. I could've sworn there were wings in there. He took a few steps closer, pressing one hand to the glass, then turning to glance over his shoulder. Maybe there were stuffed bats? But no, the closest he could see were otters, and they couldn't imitate a set of wings.

As though summoned by his confusion, Tracy could've sworn his back started to itch, exactly where he imagined wings might be. But there weren't any, obviously. Because he wasn't a pony right now.

"I don't know what this is, but I love it." Rose stopped in front of him, hefting an oversized stuffed animal towards him. With only one hand he could barely lift the huge thing, enough to turn it sideways and see the price.

His old self balked at the insanity of spending a month's grocery money on a stupid stuffed shark with a cartoon grin and shiny plastic eyes. But that old self wasn't dating Roseluck.

"That's a great white," he said, handing it back. "They're the biggest predators in the ocean. Or... I guess that depends on your definition of predator, but they're big anyway. Thousands of pounds with razor-sharp teeth."

She grinned back at him, expression unphased. "Can we take it with us?"

"Sure." He could practically hear his wallet crying out in pain as they checked out with the gigantic stuffed toy. At least Rose didn't ask him to carry it. It wasn't heavy, but with one arm immobilized he just wouldn't know how.

"You realize how huge that thing is, right?" he asked, as they finally left the building behind. The aquarium grounds were practically deserted, with food stalls closed and the nearby pier empty. A few of the restaurants were still open, but not many. "I don't know what will happen to it when we bring it back. If it doesn't get any smaller, it'll be bigger than you are."

"That makes it a perfect souvenir," she declared, squeezing it with both arms. "Something as big and soft as you are, to remind me of my visit. With scary pointed teeth, so I remember everything. Parts of your world are cute, but other parts are dangerous."

They crossed back to the parking lot, and spent another few minutes figuring out how to get the stuffed toy into the trunk. "I can't say you've seen much of Earth yet," he said, as soon as they were settled back into the car. "But hopefully you had fun."

Rose reached over, taking his hand. She was clumsy at it, and didn't seem to know what she was doing with her fingers. But for only having a few hours in his entire world, it was a decent job. "I expected it would be scarier. You do things differently here, but... I didn't mind. Guess I was afraid over nothing."

She let go, and he pulled back onto the highway. The long commute was a worthwhile price in exchange for having somewhere interesting to take her. "Don't think our worlds are the same after this. I don't want—if something hurt you, I couldn't live with myself. Please don't come back here without me. There's lots we could do—I'd love to see how you look at the beach."

The words were barely out of his mouth as he realized how absurd it sounded. "I'd look the same at the beach," she said. "We have those in Equestria too. But Ponyville is too far from the coast.

The deep shadow of his car was enough to conceal the redness in his cheeks. But if she hadn't noticed, then he wasn't going to draw attention to it. "It's a little cold in the season to go anyway," he admitted. "Too cold to swim. Couples sometimes go for long walks. Only long walks I ever went on were through the desert. Never tried the beach before."

Rose looked thoughtful, settling back into her seat. But she didn't immediately strike down the suggestion, or remind him that she'd only promised to come here once. She watched silently for a few minutes, eyes on him more than the buildings and countryside passing outside.

"The carriage we're riding in..." she began. "Can anypony learn to use them? Or is it magic?"

He smiled back. "The car? Nothing magic here. It's a skill. I just got enough practice until eventually I could do it."

Rose reached across the car again, this time resting a hand on his shoulder. The undamaged one, mercifully. "I'll come back if you promise to teach me. How fast can it go?"

Tracy glanced into the rear-view mirror, scanning for unlit blue and red lights. When he didn't find one, he settled one foot squarely on the pedal, accelerating them rapidly past surrounding traffic. “I've done over a hundred in her a few times!" he yelled, over the rising roar of engine and wind.

Rose grinned back at him, eager. "You have to teach me!"

Author's Note:

There was always art in this chapter, don't let my failure to save the chapter's correct version tell you otherwise. >.>

PreviousChapters Next