• Published 19th Mar 2020
  • 20,331 Views, 4,619 Comments

Fine Print - Starscribe



Tracy needed somewhere to stay, how was he supposed to know that it was in another universe? Now he'll somehow have to hold down a job on Earth while living as a pony in Equestria. It's either that, or say goodbye to being human.

  • ...
51
 4,619
 20,331

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 15

Tracy watched a few seconds more, gauging the pony’s reaction. But he’d barely been in contact with her for the last few weeks, ever since her first attempt to get him… arrested? Whatever the ponies would’ve done to someone who didn’t belong. Maybe nothing, if Discord was telling the truth.

“Do you not have ice cream here?” He settled both on the kitchen counter, then went for bowls and a scoop. He placed one there, not waiting for Rose before filling the bottom of his bowl and making a little space at the edge of the table.

Strange things could happen in another world, including his body trying to trick him into enjoying bugs. But his favorite flavors still tasted as fantastic as he remembered. He savored each bite, even if he had to balance a spoon with a wing while he did.

“No time,” Rose croaked, shaking herself free of the small mountain of pages. They scattered all around her, and she rose to her hooves. “I only have until tonight to… make the final order. If I get it wrong…” Was she so tired she’d forgotten how much she hated him? Tracy settled the spoon back into his bowl, though some part of him didn’t care if he spilled.

But it was hard to look at a creature in so much distress, no matter how much she’d done to him. How long could he hold a grudge? “You look like you’re having some trouble,” he said, keeping his tone as neutral as he could. Anything less, and she might think this was just another attack. “Do you want some help?”

She glared back at him, and Tracy half expected her to at least try at an insult. Then she looked away, apparently too exhausted even for that. “What would you know about business?”

Not very much, but I know a lot about data entry. “It wouldn’t even take that long,” he continued. “Toss my ice cream in the freezer for me, I’ll grab my scanner from upstairs. Your forms all look the same, so this shouldn’t take more than an hour.”

“What are you talking ab—” He hurried past her up the stairs, through the open door to his bedroom. Most of his crap was still packed in boxes, but at least he’d sorted enough to know which had technology and which didn’t. He tore open the portable scanner—a relic he’d inherited from his father’s old things, nothing he’d ever expected to use. His inability to throw anything away was Rose’s gain.

Nothing had changed as he hefted it downstairs, balancing it in his wings and one hoof. He nearly tripped more than once but managed to set it down beside the entertainment center.

“My ice cream, I said…” he groaned, but fell abruptly silent. Rose was crying again, staring down at her oppressive mountain of accounting as though it were a beast about to devour her. You should’ve gone for help sooner, Rose. You’re stubborn about more than just your paranoia.

Tracy took a few minutes to set things up on the couch—his laptop would be a pain to use down here without the modified keyboard, but his dexterity had made great strides in the last few weeks. He could manage a touchscreen, anyway.

He took a few sheets at random off the table, carrying them over to the form-feed drawer on his printer.

Rose barely noticed. She was in a daze, staring down at her binder and occasionally scratching at it with a pencil. It didn’t seem like she’d made any progress for some time. Maybe days, if Tracy was right about how familiar that page looked.

The process was painful at first, since he had to manually map scanned input to columns and rows. By the third sheet he only had a few things to enter, and by the tenth he just had to correct smudged numbers or unreadable writing. Tracy might not know very much about running a business, but the data spoke clearly enough. He piled up the scanned sheets on the empty recliner, gathering up anther wing full to bring to the scanner.

“What are you…” Rose remained at her chair. She didn’t even try to stop him, much less get up and look. “What kind of… weapon is that?”

“It’s called a scanner, and it’s running OCR on your accounting. I’ll admit I was a little optimistic. More like… three hours.” He glanced back to the kitchen and winced as he saw the slime dripping slowly across the floor. Right. Didn’t put that away. He could always buy more tomorrow. When he got hired, he could buy more than any human or horse could eat.

“That doesn’t… mean anything,” Rose groaned. But she didn’t have the energy to keep arguing, or do anything else for that matter. She flopped back onto the kitchen table, and soon enough she was snoring.

Tracy could feel a little of that tiredness himself, though he felt no pressure to rush to bed on a Friday night. He could keep awake for a good cause. Already there were more pages piled up on the couch than scattered on the table. An hour passed, until the table had been completely cleared and all he was missing was the binder. Probably the oldest of Rose’s records were in there, based on the dates from what he had scanned, but even so… getting that information into the database would at least give him some idea of what had gone wrong.

It was probably noon outside, or midnight in the world that made any sense to him. Too bad he hadn’t ever properly moved in, or he could’ve put a pot of coffee on to help keep him awake.

“I need your binder,” he said, prodding at it with a hoof. “I’m assuming you care about your records earlier than a year ago. At least I won’t have the scanner jamming on half the pages with the stuff you actually took care of.”

She stared up at him, pulling it closer to her chest reflexively. “I don’t…” She finally seemed to see him then, and the empty table in front of her. She stared around, until her eyes settled on the organized piles across the room. “It’s not about getting them straightened, Tracy. I need to… I need to know what to order, and how much. If I can’t give the bank a… profitability estimate, they’re not going to give us the bits.” She shook her head once, and a little of the glaze vanished from her eyes. “I don’t know why I’m even telling you this. There’s nothing you can do. Not even Lily and Daisy can help, and they’re in the stall with me every day. But just knowing how to arrange flowers or how to keep them alive… it isn’t the same thing as actually running the stand.”

“I know.” He crossed the room towards his laptop, resting a hoof on the lid. “I scanned everything. I know how many of each item you sold, I know how much you paid each time, and whether you made a profit or a loss. If we generalize, we might be able to guess which flowers sold best at which times of year.” He lowered his voice to a mutter, tapping the screen to scroll through the reports the accounting software had spat out. What would work think about him using their license to run the books for an alien florist in another universe? “The only thing I can’t figure out is why the hell I’m helping you.”

“You can’t.” Rose dragged her hooves as she crossed the room, staring uncomprehending at his laptop screen. “I’ve been working on this for weeks now. Ever since I gave up on the last—doesn’t matter. I’ve been trying to get the festival numbers for weeks. What did you even… do?”

“The same thing every company does nowadays,” he responded, pointing at the screen. “Know your numbers, know your business. I’d like the rest of your records before you make predictions based on this.” He slipped past her, opening the binder and flipping past her garbled attempt to correlate all this. More than one separate attempt based on the number of crumpled pages.

He slipped the other pages out, then settled them into the scanner. By now the computer barely even stopped him for input, just an occasional confirmation on which way to read a character. Through reasons that defined all explanation, it handled alien handwriting no different than any of the others it could reference from its online OCR database.

Should we even be speaking the same language? But he was getting into details again, and the more he tried to figure out the less sense any of this made. Discord might strictly enforce his contracts, but he didn’t make a whole lot of sense.

Rose settled onto her haunches, watching silently as the printer scanned her accounting. The graphs shifted a little each time, expanding the time horizon back and showing exactly how her little company had become insolvent. Finally, he’d gone through the last sheet, and he tabbed over a few times to the general inventory report. It was basically the same thing she’d been trying to create herself, only… without all the mistakes and starting over.

“This what you wanted?” he asked. “Wait, hold on. I’ll just…” The printer hummed, and a few seconds later spat out a stack of pages. He settled them in front of her, then finally let himself sit down. “That’s what you wanted, right? Three years of inventory. You didn’t keep great information about how long your inventory lasts, or else it would probably be able to give you more precise waste calculations. I just guesstimated three weeks for everything based on how long my mom used to keep flowers before they went bad.”

Rose backed away, taking the sheets and spreading them on the floor in front of her. She snatched the binder back, tearing her own graph paper right out and holding it up to the printouts. “H-how…” Tracy couldn’t guess how she could confirm much of anything from the state of her own books, but apparently the numbers satisfied her. “I thought we were having trouble with the petunias. I just thought that, fractionally…” She trailed off, looking back at him. “How?”

“You’re not the first company to switch to digital. Everybody does it, and they all have different books. I just… made some guesses about what you wanted, and scanned it all in. You’re way better off keeping it digital from now on, by the way. You can get your day’s numbers added in a few seconds.” Except you’ll need to borrow my computer each time, and I’m not sure why I’d let you.

Rose flung her forelegs around his neck and started sobbing all over again, right into his shoulder. Tracy let her do it, body stiff and awkward. “It’s… okay?” Was it? Those numbers were bleak.

“You can’t… know what this means,” she sobbed. “I was wrong… about you.”

PreviousChapters Next