• Published 19th Mar 2020
  • 20,311 Views, 4,619 Comments

Fine Print - Starscribe



Tracy needed somewhere to stay, how was he supposed to know that it was in another universe? Now he'll somehow have to hold down a job on Earth while living as a pony in Equestria. It's either that, or say goodbye to being human.

  • ...
51
 4,619
 20,311

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 16

Tracy stared down at the tablet Janet had given him, skimming over its lines one more time. Some part of him expected this to be a trick, that he’d tap it and the next screen over would announce it was a joke. It didn’t matter that doing something so cruel probably wouldn’t even be legal, even if Janet had been the type to try it, which she wasn’t.

“FORMAL OFFER of EMPLOYMENT CONTRACT”

It began, before spilling out into blocks of legalese. Like what he’d signed to work as an intern, though far more favorable to him in this case. As soon as he signed this, he’d go from an indentured servant to something approaching a real human. He skimmed through the next few pages, searching for the most interesting part. When he saw the salary, he nearly dropped the tablet. It was probably less than many others made at bigger companies, even starting. But it was also more money in a week than he saw in a month, with less hours.

“Why?” he finally asked, the only sound he could manage. “I thought… I was going to be evaluated for longer—”

“Long enough to tell if we want you,” Janet said, folding her hands together across the desk. “I’ve made my decision, Tracy. My department wants you. That little stunt with our contractors last week—still can’t believe they thought they could revise a contract after negotiation and we wouldn’t notice. That just isn't the competence we expect from our hardware team.”

He shrugged. “I’ve had the motivation to really dig into my last few contracts,” he said noncommittally. Then he held up the tablet. “This is real, Janet? I sign this, and… it’s official?”

“It’s official,” she agreed. “Evaluation’s over. There’s no reason to keep you in suspense now that my decision is already made. Yours is the only one that needs recording. Feel free to take the tablet with you, if you want to read over ours. You… won’t find anything trying to screw you in there, though. Standard six-month noncompete after termination, nothing fancy when it comes to options. Those come later, when you’re a little higher up the totem pole. But there’s no reason you couldn’t be, Tracy. You’re exactly the kind of candidate our department was looking for.”

He did take a few more minutes to read over the contract, much more because he’d made a big deal about it than because he expected the company to be trying to screw him. He found nothing he hadn’t expected, certainly nothing like a demon trying to trick his soul away in exchange for his signature. He brought the tablet back to Janet a few minutes later, and that was that. Life was changed now, he’d made it.

He barely noticed time pass during the rest of his workday. Next thing he knew, one of the software engineers in his department was waving him over to their private breakroom.

“I hear you’re official,” Eric said. “Things will change around here now.”

You’re going to get your own coffee from now on? He didn’t say so, though. Tracy was far too excited to be bitter with anyone. “Yeah?”

“Tonight’s pub night,” said Lori, flicking a card towards him.

He caught it in one hand, staring down. He’d driven past this place a dozen times on his way into work, though he had no idea what it was.

“Now that you’re not going to turn to dust in a month, you’re invited.”

He winced, turning over the card in one hand. “That’s awesome!” he said, feigning excitement. But some horse aliens invited me to a festival tomorrow and I probably shouldn’t be super hung-over for it. “I’ll have to take a rain check until next time, though. Family is, uh… already made plans to celebrate with me. Yeah. But I’d go if I could.”

He could sense their dissatisfaction before he’d even finished explaining. But how could they argue—it wasn’t every day he finally got his dream job.

“We’ll look the other way this time,” Janet said, folding her arms sternly. “But consider them essential from here on. You’d be surprised how many good ideas come out of Friday nights.”

Laughter echoed from around her, and someone muttered, “If that’s what you’d call them.”

She turned to glower back at the offender, but Tracy only nodded. He could probably use a little social time with actual people, instead of the magical animals who lived on the other side of his apartment door.

Best not mention that part, though.

He did stop somewhere on his way home, even if it wasn’t at the company pub. He wasn’t sure what passed for formalwear among the horses, but apparently the Equinox was an important day to them. And even if it ended up being a little overkill for the festival, he’d need it for his real life eventually.

He was practically humming as he reached the door into Nowhere, hanger over one shoulder. Do I even tell her? There was very little about his life that translated to that side.

He waited until there was no one to watch, the same way he always did. Even on a day as bright as this one, he could still have nightmares about what might happen if someone caught a photo of him crossing over.

He slipped rapidly inside, ready to catch the suit folded over his back before it could get all wrinkled and ruined on the ground. He had the coordination to do it.

The inner door was always shut, so there was no more accidentally exposing Earth to the unprepared eyes of his roommate or any of her guests.

He was right to be prepared this time too, he could hear several energetic voices through the door as he pushed his way in.

The smell hit him first, a floral perfume that rolled past “pleasant” without even slowing down into territory that his mind was scarcely prepared to comprehend. There was no mystery about why—the entire living room had been transformed into a product preparation space.

Green insulated boxes were packed in near the doorway, each one with uncut flowers waiting to be prepared. Rose’s sisters Lily and Daisy worked in the kitchen, one stripping away some of the extra flowers and the other working skillfully with clippers. Rose ferried their finished work—trays of orange and red brooches and little wreath-crowns—into a waiting cart with vapor rising slowly from massive blocks of ice inside.

“Tracy!” she said, grinning at him as he made his way in. Genuine excitement too, not the barely restrained suspicion of their last two months. “I was wondering when you’d show up. You should try one of these.”

She nudged a tray towards him, gesturing expectantly. A bright orange flower pinned into something green with sprigs of leaves emerging artfully from either side. “Try it?” he asked, raising an eyebrow. “I, uh… I don’t know what you mean. How do I wear it?”

“You’re kidding me,” Daisy muttered, exasperated. “You sure this is the same one who found the bits we needed? He thinks you’re supposed to wear those?”

Rose ignored her, lifting the tray closer to him. “You eat it, silly. No one at the festival will get one as fresh as this, Tracy. Try it.”

He probably wouldn’t have, if he wasn’t in such a good mood. That and she had said his name correctly this time. Didn’t they make tea out of flowers in Asia somewhere?

He bent down, closing his mouth around an entire flower-and-cucumber… sandwich? He expected having to pretend he liked it, but his expectations shattered instantly. He was overwhelmed with a brief hint of mint and cucumber, combined into something he couldn’t quite identify.

Rose settled the tray back in place, looking satisfied. “See, told you. Half of Ponyville wishes they could have one that fresh.”

“What is it?” he asked, as soon as he’d finished chewing. That part was as annoying as he’d expected, even if the taste made up for it. Petals didn’t want to be chewed, but that was only a few more moments of inconvenience.

“Blooming Canape,” she answered. “Cucumber, tulip, mint, and turmeric. They’re popular in the festival season. And those are the three bouquets we always sell the most of…” She gestured back into the kitchen.

“I sure hope so,” Lily called, though she didn’t take the clippers from her mouth, and her words were slightly garbled. “There’s no way they’ll loan us anymore bits if all these don’t sell. This is either the start of things getting better, or… the end for the flower stand.”

Now probably isn’t the time to mention a promotion Rose won’t even understand, he thought. “I’ll be there for moral support,” Tracy said, smiling weakly. “Even if I have… no idea what this Equinox festival is, or what I’m supposed to do there.”

“You won’t have to do anything,” Rose said quickly, cutting off Daisy before she could offer some unhelpful advice. “It’ll mean a lot for you to be there. Maybe this is the beginning of our recovery, or… maybe this is where we crash and burn and must make hayfries for the rest of our lives. Either way!”

Wish there was something I could do to help you. He couldn’t even give her a reassuring pat on the shoulder without fearing that it might mean something else to the horse people, and imply more than he wanted to do. With her family here, he’d never live it down.

“The numbers are sound,” he said. “Unless your population totally turned over since last year’s data, they’re going to have similar purchasing behavior. Just do what you always do, and you’ll do great!”

“Except we aren’t selling half our old flowers,” Lily grumbled, from across the room. “Ponies might be a little upset they don’t get their favorites.”

“Yeah…” Rose muttered, turning towards her. “Maybe we should try to place an emergency order, prepare something before it’s too late—”

Tracy caught her with a hoof, stopping her before she could get any closer to the door. “No, Rose. I mean… it’s your money, you can do whatever you want with it. But the data just doesn’t support that. Too much variety is what got you into this mess in the first place. If you go make tiny emergency orders now, you give up your economy of scale. Just keep the plan you made; it’ll pan out. I promise.”

Daisy marched back to the front door, tossing an empty wooden crate aside with her teeth and opening the next one. She did that with her teeth too, abruptly enough that Tracy felt sympathetic flashes of pain with every gesture. But the mare didn’t seem to notice. “Might as well keep doing what we’re trying,” she said. “If we made a mistake now, it’s probably too late to fix.”

Rose slumped to her haunches, ears flattening. “Yeah… but the numbers looked good. Mom would’ve thought this was a good idea. We just need to be brave and try something a little crazy.”

He retreated towards the stairwell, adjusting the jacket he carried. “Oh, before I… when does this thing start? I’d like to get some sleep first.”

“Bats,” Lily muttered, annoyance in her voice.

Rose glared back at her, then answered, “And you probably don’t need all that.” She nodded towards the suit. “I’m sure it would look great on you, but… this isn’t Canterlot. Earth pony holidays are usually casual dress. All that history of not having the bits for clothes… it might make you stand out.”

Of course it would. Because wearing clothes makes me rich around here. Tracy made his way back upstairs, then into a room that no longer looked like he’d just moved in. There were still a few unpacked boxes up against the wall, but this time he had to find some room in the closet for the suit. Probably should’ve asked if I needed it before I bought this, he thought, flopping sideways in bed and fumbling around for his phone. His stubbornly oversensitive ears could still make out the work going on downstairs, as the flower sisters prepared for the festival.

Good thing they don’t work from here every day, this smell is insane, he thought, closing his eyes. Like an explosion on the perfume aisle, but… better than he’d been expecting.

Waking up early for an alien festival was a little more exciting than just getting up for work, even if he wasn’t an intern anymore. Too bad he didn’t have anyone to celebrate with.

PreviousChapters Next