• Published 19th Mar 2020
  • 20,312 Views, 4,619 Comments

Fine Print - Starscribe



Tracy needed somewhere to stay, how was he supposed to know that it was in another universe? Now he'll somehow have to hold down a job on Earth while living as a pony in Equestria. It's either that, or say goodbye to being human.

  • ...
51
 4,619
 20,312

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 42

Despite her fears, Rose found "calling" work to be far less of a big deal than she would've thought. She'd seen Tracy play with that slab of metal and glass he called a "phone" plenty of times, and knew where he kept it.

As he had suggested, getting it to listen to her required she use a stylus in her mouth, tapping and scrolling before she finally found the place he had suggested.

Daisy and Lily would have nightmares about trying to figure this out, she thought. She tapped the “speaker” button, and it started to ring. Tracy always says there's no magic on his side, but it doesn't seem like that's true. Talking to ponies far away instead of just sending them letters or telegrams seems pretty magical to me.

Maybe it was just a question of attitude—they didn't want to call it magic, so they made up another name. But it was the same thing really.

There was a click, then a voice on the other end. A female voice, sounding young enough that Rose might've been worried. Might have, if it wasn't for how harsh and unfriendly she sounded. "Tracy? Since when do you call?"

Rose glanced over Tracy's notes one last time, then cleared her throat. "Uh... hi! My name is Roseluck, I'm Tracy's m—girlfriend."

"Okay," said the voice, tone entirely unchanged. "He never mentioned you before. But I guess he doesn't really talk about his home life at all. I assume he wanted you to call?"

"Yeah." She went through the lie they'd rehearsed as best she could. Rose didn't feel so bad about it, not when the important details were true. She was just translating the specifics so they would make sense to the creatures in the other universe, that was all. She didn't have to lie about the fear she felt at the time, or how seriously Tracy was hurt.

Despite her initial response, Janet became far warmer by the end of the conversation. "You let Tracy know I'll make sure everything's worked out with HR for the next week," she said. "Apex wants him to take the time he needs to come back healthy. Remind him that we're going into crunch next week for the Emmerson project, he'll know what that means."

"Sure." Rose scribbled that down, though she was fairly certain she'd completely botched the spelling. She spat out the pencil. "Thanks so much, Janet. You were one of the first things he thought of when he woke up—he's been stressed like you wouldn't believe over failing you."

The alien made a grunting sound that wasn't quite a word, one that Rose couldn't quite parse. Was it frustration, relief, confusion? "Tracy's lucky to have you. You should come with him to one of the company parties, meet everyone. Family's always invited."

The machine made a noise, the screen flashed, and the sound stopped.

Rose stared at it for a few more seconds, in case it started doing things again. But it didn't, and a few moments later she felt comfortable returning it to Tracy's desk. She's a little mean, but she does seem to care about him. Not the worst pony to work for.

Come to think of it, Rose didn't actually know what Tracy did with “Apex”. He spoke about himself so rarely that Rose sometimes forgot he had another life. Maybe I should go with him to a company party. He's become a part of my life, I should be more a part of his.

Rose took full advantage of the time alone to clean up the whole house, including Tracy's room. He wasn't the messiest stallion she'd ever lived with, but there was something about bats. He didn't buck the trend in terms of their organization strategy of choice: piles.

Her reunion with her own family was far less dramatic than the one with Tracy himself. "You don't have to make up a story," Daisy said, as soon as she finished explaining everything. "We get it. You found somewhere romantic up in Canterlot, maybe that... cavern retreat? Your bat would like that. You already live together, what's there to be embarrassed about?"

"We weren't—" It was a stupid thing to be embarrassed about. But mostly she was indignant. "You're going to feel awful when you see him, Daisy. He'd been so electrocuted that the nurses started calling him after it. I don't even know how long it will be before he can walk."

On this side. On the other, he only had two legs, and neither one had been damaged. But that was too much for them.

The stand wasn't particularly busy, but even so she could feel the pressure of eyes from around them. Lily leaned out from the back, watching closely. "You should've gone to the retreat. Don't you like caves? It would've been romantic."

"And expensive," she finished, holding up a hoof and glaring at Daisy. "We were planning on going camping in a week or two, off to the Peaks of Peril. He was willing to go with me. But... guess we'll have to wait for next month. Half the fun of camping is the hike out, and he'll still be hobbling around in a week."

"Good." Daisy patted her on the shoulder. "Please, please go. We can tell how you're getting, Rose. You need some attention. You aren't the kind of mare who can live alone and be happy."

Her face grew redder, but she didn't argue. Daisy wasn't wrong. She wasn't the one who had to live with an attractive bat who spent half his time dressed like he was some Canterlot dandy, while flying face first into danger whenever it flew his way. Even thinking he was an alien invader hadn't made it easier.

"The caverns aren't worth it," she said, as though Daisy hadn't said anything. "But we'll figure something out. I wish he hadn't been hurt so badly. Our first date went... really well."

She had to tell them, of course, in great detail. It would've given them something to talk about for the entire shift, if there hadn't been so many other distractions to talk about.

"Seems like you had a good time," Lily said, when she was finally finished gushing about it all. "Too bad about the ending. You should make the next one less dramatic."

"I kinda promised I'd do the next one in his world," she admitted, tensing as she said it. She wasn't wrong, either.

"That sounds dangerous," Daisy said, after settling a fresh display onto the counter beside them. "You, of all ponies? Magic and danger and faraway lands? You sure that's what you want?"

Yes. But how could she explain that? "It's the one thing I feel like I'm missing," she said. "With the others, I could see how they acted in their clan. But Tracy's like us—he doesn't have a family. So I want to see what he's like when he's himself."

Lily nodded. "That sounds smart. Want to know that he's really the pony you think he is. Didn't you say ponies are strange over there? You'd have to be like them."

She nodded. That was surprisingly insightful for Lily. Maybe she was listening better than Rose gave her credit for. "Weird, yeah. They're two-legged like minotaurs, stretched out and thin. I can show you pictures if you want, he's got some in his room."

"I want to see," Daisy said. "Not that I'm telling you what to do with your life, big sister. You're grown, and... honestly, picking a bat who can't fly away on you might be the smartest choice you ever made. Still not sold on his ideas for selling flowers, but... guess I shouldn't be arguing with success. You think it's worth sticking with, so I believe you."

The shift was uneventful after that. Nightmare Night wasn't quite close enough to bring in the demand yet, so having a pony at the front of the stall was probably more than they needed. But what we really need is a store, not a stall. Somewhere with enough room for a real fridge, and plenty of growing space.

Their parents had planned and scrimped and saved for that goal exactly, but all those bits had melted into the simpler mission of just surviving after the invasion.

We've just about paid off all the loans. I wonder if anyone would give us a lease on one of the empty buildings around Ponyville. That goal had not gotten easier as their resident librarian rose in prominence in Equestria. She took the town—and its real-estate prices—up with her.

She tried to bring it up with her sisters, but Lily didn't really have the mind for long-term thinking, and Daisy just agreed with anything Rose thought.

"But think about it. If we had our own store, like... out near the edge of town, by the train station. We'd get all the hoof traffic passing by the front, and we'd have the space to grow more of our own stock. That would mean better margins, since we wouldn't have to import. More free time too, since we wouldn't need to forage nearly as much. We could keep just one pony in the store on slow days, and all be there only when there are big holidays and large orders."

Finally she'd said something that was getting through to them, or Lily anyway. "I wouldn't mind more time off."

"Well, think about it. One minimum, instead of two. Or... buck, we could even have a service window for snacks out front. We'd be the first thing ponies see on their way into town, and their last chance before taking the train home again."

"Sounds fantastic," Daisy said, her tone flat. "By the way, are you sure you weren't the one who hit her head? Where's this coming from, Rose? Why isn't the stand enough?"

It wasn't for Mom and Dad. It doesn't have to be enough for us either. She didn't want to argue that now, not while there were still potential customers passing by. Even if there were no major holidays and no Pinkie parties in the next week, there was still the snacks. The reason they needed two ponies instead of one. And if we had a fridge, we could do that in advance too.

"It's something to strive for now that we're in the black," Rose said. "We've got the Harvest Parade and Hearth’s Warming coming up. The way things are going, we'll have..." She did the mental math, then stopped herself. If she told them, her sisters would want to spend it other ways, insisting on taking their share off on vacation or something. One third wouldn't be enough.

"Lots," she finished lamely, trailing off. She let the subject drop after that, though she would find somepony to talk to about it. Long-term financial planning might be another one of her bat's skills.

It was hard to shake the feeling that she should be doing something more, after she'd been the one to get Tracy into danger this time. But aside from cleaning their house and planning out the next week of meals, she couldn't think of anything else. She probably shouldn't be so excited about it, but she couldn't help but think of all the time she'd have together with him.

His work had given him a week to recover before coming in. On the one hoof, that hadn't seemed fair—but on the other, it would probably be the longest uninterrupted block he had ever spent in Equestria.

One way or another, Roseluck would make it count.

Author's Note:

Another adorable and fantastic piece in this chapter, this time by the talented Pony Way. We're all spoiled around here, so might as well enjoy it together.

PreviousChapters Next