• Published 19th Mar 2020
  • 20,338 Views, 4,619 Comments

Fine Print - Starscribe



Tracy needed somewhere to stay, how was he supposed to know that it was in another universe? Now he'll somehow have to hold down a job on Earth while living as a pony in Equestria. It's either that, or say goodbye to being human.

  • ...
51
 4,619
 20,338

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 31

There was silence in the courtroom, as what few ponies in the stands gasped and pointed. Tracy could only hope they thought those charges were as outrageous as he did. No one dared speak, until Princess Luna finally rose from her throne, glaring across the room. “Equestria declines to prosecute on the charge of interdimensional incursion and criminal destruction of property. With no charges, the court—”

Discord cleared his throat loudly. “Excuse me, Princess. But I wouldn’t want this body to perform a preventable error. I believe I was the party that suffered the destruction of property. Also, the charge of trespassing is self-evident. It was my worldgate, and these three are evidently in our universe. Ergo, the facts are present.”

Princess Luna’s wings flared momentarily, and it seemed as though she might start yelling at him. Then she slumped back to her throne. “Very well. Strike the interdimensional incursion charge, we shall examine the other two. This court accepts the evidence for trespassing. Does the defense have anything to add?”

Tracy shifted nervously under the sudden attention of a room full of creatures. His friends watched him, all three terrified and desperate. If he didn’t say something, one of them probably would. At least he knew how Equestria worked.

“My roommate and I are the tenants of the property they entered,” he said, his voice quaking under the pressure. He hesitated, taking a deep breath before continuing. “Neither of us want to prosecute them either. We’d rather just forgive them and send them home.”

“Irrelevant,” Discord called, his voice taunting. “You did not invite them onto the property, or else you would have violated the contract. As they were not invited guests, it is up to me as the owner of the building to decide. I would like charges pressed against these lawbreakers, Princess. To the full extent of the law.”

It was hard to see from across the room, but was the princess rolling her eyes at him. “Very well. What evidence do you have to present to the court as to the destruction of property charge, Discord?”

His chair jerked abruptly, landing with a crunch of snapping wood. Yet the chair kept holding him at about the level it should. Discord snapped his claws, and an oversized photo appeared in the air beside his chair.

It showed exactly what Tracy would’ve expected—the door pried open, lock hanging mostly out of the wood. “As you see, Princess. Honored guests of the court. These three destroyed my home to enter.”

The Alicorn nodded, turning her attention on the defendants’ table. “Did you do this?”

“I did,” Marshall said, his voice so quiet that Luna had to ask him to repeat himself. “I broke in. The others didn’t have anything to do with it.”

“Hmm.” The princess nodded to the stenographer, and his keyboard rattled for a few seconds in silence. “Does the defense have anything to add?”

Tracy felt that hopeless weight all over again. But a few conversations with Rose weren’t going to prepare him for this! He wasn’t a lawyer just because he could read over a contract!

“Well, uh… one thing.” He rose from his chair, pointing across the room with a wing. “The property the defendants allegedly destroyed is located in another universe, not Equestria. Don’t you, like… not have jurisdiction over that or whatever? Seems like Discord should try to recover damages there.”

Luna glanced across the room at the unicorn in white. “Is there any precedent for prosecuting criminal acts that didn’t occur in our universe?”

The pony’s eyes went wide. Books all around her opened of their own accord and she flipped through one after another. What she could be getting from them so fast, Tracy couldn’t even guess. But it didn’t take her long to shake her head. “No, Princess!”

“The court finds in favor of the defendants as to the charge of destruction of property, and the cause is vacated due to lack of jurisdiction.”

She raised a wing, silencing Discord before he could start arguing again. “Careful. Don’t try this court’s patience.”

He folded his claws again, furious eyes fixed on Tracy.

“However, the evidence for trespassing is sufficient, and I find the defendants guilty. As to the sentence…”

Her horn glowed, and there was a faint flash of light in the air beside her. A stack of papers appeared there, one that Tracy could guess at even if he couldn’t see the writing to be sure. “Equestria does not recognize your attempt to rewrite criminal law with regard to third parties. The penalty you suggest in this document is irrelevant.”

The night princess spread her wings wide. As she did, her mane seemed to catch a wind Tracy could not feel, shining with starlight brighter than anything coming from overhead.

I’m watching a goddess run a small claims court.

“Equestria fines these three creatures twenty bits each, or fifty hours of community service each. After which, they will be returned home with an injunction against further trespassing.” Something flashed in the air beside her, though her own horn was dark. A thin white sack appeared just out of reach, wrapped with a little sun around the top. It landed with a meaty metallic rattle on the throne. “Oh look, a third party has elected to pay their fine. How unexpected. Clerk, finalize the record and get this ridiculous case out of my courtroom.”

She flopped sideways into her throne, digging around in a little basket at the side holding sheets of paper. Her next case, maybe?

Tracy slumped back into his seat, finally relaxing. He barely understood what had just happened, but one fact was clear. They weren’t even going to be asked to pay a fine they couldn’t—it was taken care of. His friends could go home, and they could put this nightmare behind them.

“The court’s decision as to the case of three unknown Outsiders is concluded, and the—” The unicorn began. She didn’t finish, because Shane rose from his chair, crossing halfway to the throne before he finally lost his nerve. “Wait! Princess, uh… please don’t send me back!”

What the hell are you doing, Shane? We won!

Guards on either side of the throne reacted instantly, gliding to block his path about halfway across the room. “Remain where you are, pony,” they said. “No closer.”

“Here he goes again,” Anton muttered. “If we go to jail over this, I’ll kill him.”

The night princess looked up, dropping her reading onto the chair beside her. She gestured with a wing, and the two guards retreated. “What are you talking about, pony?”

Shane’s bravery melted under her gaze. He slumped onto his haunches, and muttered to himself as he spoke. Despite his incredible size here in Equestria, an Alicorn still made him seem small. “I’m the real reason all this happened. I ran into Equestria because I was trying to escape that place. Please let me stay here. I’ll dig ditches, I’ll pick fruit, I’ll flip burgers. Anything, but… don’t send me back.”

“Don’t send you back,” the princess repeated, eyes narrowing. “To a realm so terrible that you would do anything to stay away. Your friends don’t seem to share your sentiment. If it isn’t something about where you came from, then it must be something you learned about Equestria. What was that?”

Now even the bored ponies from the audience were paying attention. How boring were things usually in the night court?

“I, uh… I’m sorry, I’m sure Equestria is… fantastic. But it is about not going back.” Even Tracy couldn’t watch it. He could only imagine what the princess must be thinking. “I don’t have any life waiting for me back there. I crippled myself with debt to get a degree I never finished. I’ll be struggling to survive that mistake until I die. But here—it seemed like a fresh start.”

It’s that bad? Tracy stared, as silent as the rest of the court. But at least he could understand Shane’s complaints. It was exactly why he’d gone somewhere local, even though the degree wasn’t likely worth much. It didn’t cost much either. But what was student debt to an alien?

Princess Luna looked back. “Finalize the record,” she said. “The court takes a ten-minute recess.”

Some of the crowd scattered, giving Discord’s seat the widest possible clearance. Though… he didn’t seem to be using it anymore.

“Don’t think I’ll forget this,” said a voice from Tracy’s other side, so close he nearly fell out of his chair. Discord stood there, apparently without having ever actually crossed the throne room. “Nothing happens today, but I’ll remember.”

“They’re my friends,” he said, as bravely as he could. “I had to.”

Discord laughed. “We’ll see how long you feel that way.” He vanished.

Tracy rose from his chair then, crossing towards Shane. He wasn’t the only one—Luna herself had already reached the bottom of the throne. The night princess’s expression was unreadable, looking Shane over without a word.

“Contact between realms is a rare and delicate thing, pony. Once in our history, we misused our magic, viewing the other realms as an infinitely vast waste-disposal to banish creatures we could not otherwise defeat. But that realm was home to creatures who paid the price for our hubris.”

“I’m not dangerous,” Shane muttered. “I’m just bad with money.”

“More than that,” the princess corrected. “It sounds to me like you’re the victim of an injustice, but not one this court is qualified to rectify.”

“You could let me stay,” he suggested. “I’ll do whatever you want, like I said. I’ll take whatever horse-civics you ask. I’ll memorize your pledge of allegiance and go to your churches. Whatever it takes.”

The princess chuckled, looking to Tracy instead. “Child of Night,” she said. “Tracy. You are this creature’s friend?”

He nodded. “He’s telling the truth, if that’s what you’re asking. All that can really happen.”

“Not that.” She glanced back across the room, where Anton and Marshall were still in their seats, watching fearfully. Maybe they thought this victory would be taken from them, and they’d be sent to jail after all. “It’s cruel of my sister to play this game. But the judgement is mine to make, so I have to ask. You’re from the same realm as… Shane?”

He nodded. “We grew up together, in the same town. Didn’t separate until school.”

The princess considered for another few seconds. “I heard very highly of you from one Roseluck of Ponyville. It would be easier to think your friends were of similar character if they weren’t standing in my courtroom.”

“Yeah.” He ran one hoof along the stone floor. “Shane, are you sure about this? There are ways out. You don’t have to run away to another universe.”

Shane glared back, defiant. “Easy for you to say, Tracy. You made it. You don’t have to gloat about how much better you are—I know. But I’ll do better the second time. I haven’t seen much of Equestria yet, but I know it’s better than the place we left.”

Princess Luna was silent for a few moments more. “I’ve learned through sad experience that ponies rarely value something that is given. It must be earned, then it will be cherished. I will not give you sanctuary here in Equestria. I will, however, offer you the opportunity to earn it.”

Her horn glowed, and something levitated all the way down from the throne towards them. The white cloth bag, clanking with bits. “What if I misplace these bits? Would you serve the hours you and your friends owe to Equestria—150 hours. Is coming here worth that much to you?”

I get it. That’s smart, Princess. Scare him out of this insanity the way none of us could.

“Yes,” Shane said. “I am a stranger—I don’t know how to support myself here, or the way to be a good citizen here. But I’d work anyway.”

“One more thing.” She raised one hoof, silencing his excitement. “As there is no relationship between our realms, this decision will likely be permanent. I will find a place for you to work with a skilled mentor—far from Discord’s worldgate. Do you realize the sacrifice that entails?”

Shane glanced past her, back to the defendants’ table. He considered for a few silent moments, then nodded again. “I hoped I would still see Tracy, but… I understand.”

“Then say your goodbyes outside my courtroom, and wait for my personal guard to fetch you.” She turned away, muttering to herself as she climbed her throne. “See what sister thinks of this.”

Author's Note:

Added a great picture by viwrastupr to capture the trial scene.

PreviousChapters Next