• Published 19th Mar 2020
  • 20,337 Views, 4,619 Comments

Fine Print - Starscribe



Tracy needed somewhere to stay, how was he supposed to know that it was in another universe? Now he'll somehow have to hold down a job on Earth while living as a pony in Equestria. It's either that, or say goodbye to being human.

  • ...
51
 4,619
 20,337

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 5

Roseluck stared at the closed door longer than she should’ve, feeling frustration stir in her chest. She was doing everything she could to be a good friend, and how was this bat responding? With coldness and apathy. It’s alright Rose, he just woke up. Not everypony is themselves early in the morning, or late at night. He’ll be better on the weekend, then maybe I can really get to know him.

“It would be a bat,” Lily said, after a minute of awkward silence. “You’re shameless, Rose. Don’t you care that they keep breaking your heart?”

She spun back around, glaring across the puzzle at her sister. It was quite a complex model this time, depicting a bouquet of flowers in ten thousand pieces. Moving them around for earth ponies was as much about patience and dexterity as attention to detail. Good practice for flower arranging, really.

But she was ready for this—she’d been expecting it the second she saw those bat wings. “I moved in first. It was a vacant room when I looked at the place.”

“Sure it was,” Lily repeated. “I believe that. And if you believe that, I’ll sell you some chrysanthemums that bloom during the snow.”

Daisy laughed along with her, but Rose only grunted, backing away from the table. “You saw him. It doesn’t matter how he looks if he’s going to act like that. I don’t know who he is. Haven’t even seen him in Ponyville before today…”

“He must fly to work,” Daisy suggested. “Maybe he’s a night guard?”

Lily pushed away from the table, rising too. The puzzle was barely started—at this phase, it would be easy to leave it behind without getting too attached. “If he was, he’d probably have swords and stuff, right? They wouldn’t fit in that bag he was carrying.”

“Don’t we have more important things to worry about?” Rose walked past her sister, lifting the heavy set of ledgers from under the table and dropping them beside the puzzle with a meaty thump. “These books aren’t going to balance themselves. Shipping me off to this place doesn’t make all the red ink disappear.”

“Or we could spy on your roommate,” Lily said. “We could dress it up! Say that we’re, uh… helping unpack! Yeah, we could do something nice, help him get moved in. And while we’re at it, you can see if he’s boyfriend material.”

Rose could take only so much teasing. She shoved Lily in the shoulder, hard enough for her to stumble for a moment. “Stop trying to set me up with stallions, Lily. We have a business to run, that means no time for distractions.”

But by then, she’d already lost Daisy to this incredibly silly train of thought. “We could still help him get moved in. Maybe you’d get credit on the house chores or something.”

“We haven’t worked out a system for—you’re already going upstairs.” Rose followed slowly, wanting to turn around and give up every moment. But if she didn’t restrain her sisters, they’d probably do something rash. Kinda like going through a stranger’s things without their permission. Just because Ponyville was a close-knit community with lots of trust didn’t mean strangers from elsewhere would feel the same way.

They’d already let themselves in, into a room that was somewhere between perfectly ordered and completely chaotic. Like a pony who knew they needed to take better care of things, but often lost track. It also smelled like bat stallion in here, in a way that would’ve embarrassed her into leaving immediately if she didn’t have company.

Then she saw what they were staring at. It wasn’t the smell that had fascinated them, but the wide picture window. Rose hadn’t ever bothered to open this door in her week since move-in, because it wasn’t her space. But now that she saw…

“Did Celestia move the sun while we were climbing the stairs?” Daisy suggested. She backed away, turning across the hall and pushing Rose’s bedroom door the rest of the way open.

The window was open, and the light of an early evening sky filled it. A single streetlight burned outside, and a few lone ponies remained on the street. Rose stood frozen, glancing between both halves of her house.

“How is it night on one side, and day on the other?” Lily asked. “Is it another national disaster?”

The incredible strangeness of what they were seeing overcame curiosity, Rose’s sisters hurried past her back to the stairs. She followed, pausing long enough to shut the door behind her. There was no reason to make it obvious they were doing things they shouldn’t, if they weren’t going to dress it up like they were doing the new pony a favor.

She followed her friends into the living room, where they had an uninterrupted view out the kitchen window. To… night in Ponyville, exactly as it should be.

“That’s weird.” Daisy said. “It doesn’t look different down here. Maybe it ended?”

“Or it’s a bat thing.” Lily stopped inches from Rose, looking smug. “You’ve been with them before. Do bats have magic windows that make daytime and nighttime get swapped?”

“No!” She rolled her eyes. “That’s silly. Thestrals are nocturnal. Daylight would just make them sleepy. You wouldn’t want a magic window to make you think it’s bedtime when it’s time to go to work.”

She hesitated a moment, stepping back so that she was between them and the rear of the duplex. “There was one thing. The pony that leased me this place, uh…” Clearly knew how desperate I was and probably took advantage to sell me a cursed house. “Told me that I should never use the back door. Something about… poison joke growing in the vacant lot? I think that was it. But we’re never supposed to go that way.”

“Oh.” Daisy looked thoughtful. “Maybe nopony warned the bat. Having day and night swapped does sound like something it would do to a bat.”

Rose remained in place until she was sure that her sisters weren’t going to try and force their way past her and see what was out there. But it was a silly thing to do—the flower sisters were known for many things, but adventures and risk-taking were not one of them. A few seconds later and they’d forgotten about it.

“We should focus on the books,” Rose said, seizing on their distraction. “We have to figure out where we’re going to get next month’s ornamental bulbs, or we’ll miss out on the summer festival profits for the second year in a row. Neither of you want that, do you?”

Finally she’d gotten through to them. Even Lily returned to the table, groaning. “I guess… I guess not. We should budget or whatever. For the stand.”

“For the stand,” Rose insisted. They didn’t go back to the mysterious bedroom again.


Work could’ve gone better.

Tracy’s hopes of getting in before the supervisor got there were dashed when he arrived at his desk to find a frowning post-it on the screen. Nothing else—Janet just wasn’t the type to be more direct. But that note would mean a stern talking-to when it came time for weekly review.

I forgot to set my alarm properly, I was too busy being a horse. Yes please lock me up in an asylum somewhere and throw away the key. As tempting as it would’ve been to use the true excuse, he didn’t mention anything about the place.

Except to HR, which he visited late into the day. Late enough that even he could smell how awful his clothes had become. He couldn’t even run to the car for deodorant, since Discord had moved everything into the alien house for him.

“Got that form,” he said, handing it across HR’s desk. “Sorry about forgetting to come in sooner.”

She took the page, frowning down at it and scanning each field in turn. “Well, this seems to be in order.” She sniffed, turning up her nose. “They told you about office facilities on your first day, right?”

“Y-yeah,” he stammered. “Sorry.” He left before he could say anything else.

But despite how stupid he felt, he was still wearing the employee badge when he walked out of work. He climbed into his car, flicking the air conditioner all the way up—then remembering that it didn’t work, and rolling down the windows instead.

I’ve got the whole weekend to work this out now. I can move everything into the car I need, only visit the house when I need to pay rent. It’s okay.

A part of him didn’t even believe what he remembered from his previous night. The curious mix of real-estate magnate and landlord who was also the Devil just didn’t feel like it had happened to him. Obviously he wasn’t remembering correctly, that was all.

The house still looked the same from the outside, when he finally parked in front of it. Chinese takeout sat in the passenger seat beside him. He ate it there in the car, letting a more pleasant smell cover up the scent of unwashed engineer. I’m going to have to go in there eventually. Use the shower, get some clean clothes, and I’m out.

I’m not going to go completely insane because something insane happens to me. This isn’t Lovecraft. I can do this.

He finished the meal, walking his empty bag to the bin out front before making his slow way to the front door. He settled the backpack securely on his shoulders—mostly because he wasn’t sure he’d be able to do it himself—then opened the door and stepped through.

His hope during the workday—that he’d imagined everything in a fit of desperation and insanity to find somewhere to live—quickly proved false. He felt the same rush of motion, then his hands on the floor, then his tail hanging in the wind. Along with everything else back there. Because of course his memory of being naked was entirely accurate.

The second door was still shut, which was probably for the best. It wouldn’t be good for those horses to find a way out into the city. He could only imagine the disaster that would cause. And given his luck lately, he’d probably find a way to be blamed for it.

I just have to make it upstairs. It’s okay. He pushed on the second door, and found the knob didn’t actually connect to anything. It was probably just there to make it easier for horses to grab them with their mouths. Disgusting. Can I use wings for that?

He’d barely even looked at them since this disaster began. Having wings was fairly low on his list when he was trying to not get his immortal soul locked in horse hell.

There was only one horse in the living room this time, the one who called herself “Roseluck.” By the look of things, she’d fallen asleep on a book, or at least surrounded by them. The kitchen table was a mess of puzzle pieces and ratty-looking paper. He winced, then pretended not to notice her and headed for the stairs.

But there was no walking quietly when every step on the wood brought a clopping sound he couldn’t muffle.

Roseluck blinked, sitting up as he reached the stairs. She looked around, then over at him. Her ears flattened, tail twitching in some way that probably meant something to an animal. But he didn’t know how to read it. “O-oh. Hehe… guess I stayed up working a little too late.”

“Know the feeling,” he said, without even slowing down. His day had been quite hard enough without inviting more from the horse-woman.

At least his bedroom was the same as he’d left it—a mess. He flicked on the light, then started digging through boxes until he found the toiletries. He gathered all that up, then hefted the towel and the bag of various soaps across the hall to the bathroom.

There was no lock on the door, because of course there wouldn’t be. But at least the sink had two taps, and there was a gigantic shower on one side of the room. Someone had thought it was a good idea to build a window in the shower, without blinds or curtains or privacy glass. It was just… right there, where the whole world would see him.

A shaft of orange light cut across the horizon outside, and the sun rose on an alien world.

Even Tracy was momentarily distracted from his sourness, staring up at the sky through the bathroom window. A little flight of horses passed high above, somehow pushing the clouds away in front of them. He squinted, wondering if his horse body needed glasses—but he wasn’t blind. They were flying, actually using those little wings. They’re flying.

He glanced over one shoulder, and felt a twitch from the thing that wasn’t quite an arm attached to a shoulder. Could he do that too, or were those just for show?

Don’t even think about it, Tracy. You’re not staying. Just get clean and get out.

PreviousChapters Next