• Published 19th Mar 2020
  • 20,287 Views, 4,619 Comments

Fine Print - Starscribe



Tracy needed somewhere to stay, how was he supposed to know that it was in another universe? Now he'll somehow have to hold down a job on Earth while living as a pony in Equestria. It's either that, or say goodbye to being human.

  • ...
51
 4,619
 20,287

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 4

The screaming continued for long enough that Tracy’s ears began to ring. But however confused he was, it wasn’t enough to stand in place acting like an idiot. He looked pointedly away from the things he wasn’t supposed to see, fixing the other creature with an intense glare. “Look, I’m sorry if—”

She blinked, expression changing swiftly into a smile. As though he’d flicked a switch, and she hadn’t been bellowing at him moments before. “I’m sorry, I hope you’ll forgive my manners. I’m a little easy to startle, i-if you can’t tell.”

She approached casually, as though she wasn’t completely naked directly in front of a total stranger. Maybe this is a good thing. If I’m facing someone directly, then I don’t have to look at anything.

Tracy knew on an intellectual level that it shouldn’t feel weird at all. She was just an animal, right? It wasn’t like he’d ever felt vicariously embarrassed for farm animals, or the creatures of a petting zoo. But they never tried to talk to me.

“Y-yeah.” He retreated from her, until his rump was against the wall and he didn’t have anywhere else to go. “It’s f-fine, really. I was just—”

“Landlord said I should expect a new roommate,” she interrupted, clasping his hoof with both of hers and looking him over. It was hard to tell for sure, but it felt like she was staring at his… wings? Why was that so embarrassing? I’m not even supposed to have those! “I just didn’t expect you to come in through the back, he said I shouldn't go out to the vacant lot back there. Ooh, were you insect hunting?”

She flushed, letting go and covering her mouth. “Sorry, that’s probably insensitive. I shouldn’t repeat stereotypes.” She spun around, gesturing near the living room. There were several boxes there—the ones containing his gaming consoles and undersized television. “I guess you moved in during the night? Sorry, you’re probably just getting home from work or whatever. Do all bats work at night? No wait, that’s insensitive again. I’m sorry.”

Was Tracy’s mind going on him too, or did the horse seem just as embarrassed as he was? Like she was afraid of even a moment’s silence. I’m not going to look I’m not going to look I’m not going to look.

“I was, uh… just finishing my move-in,” he said lamely. But anything would probably help keep her from a nervous breakdown. “And yeah, I guess I am pretty tired.”

He walked past her, over to the front window. His last time in this room had been overwhelmed by many other things, but closer inspection proved he hadn’t been wrong after all.

“It’s daytime out there?” he asked, staring through the shutters. Hadn’t the sun just set? His mind reeled for a moment, trying to reconcile the evening he’d seen with what was obviously the light of morning.

“Uh… yeah.” She glanced briefly towards the kitchen, where something sizzled on a skillet. “I was just working on breakfast. And I probably shouldn’t let it burn, excuse me!” She darted past him, taking a spatula in her teeth and tending to her meal. French toast, by the smell of it.

Good thing I already ate. For all I know, eating anything here is like tasting anything from the underworld. One bite, and I can never leave. “I’m going to, uh…” He backed away again, towards the stairs this time. “I’m going to get some rest. It was nice to meet you, uh…”

She tossed the spatula aside, grinning back at him. “Roseluck! Sorry, I’d like to stay and chat. But I’ve got to get to work soon, and if I don’t eat I’ll end up snacking on the merchandise until lunch. Hopefully we can catch up later.”

“Y-yeah…” he said, finally turning for the stairs and darting up as quickly as he could. Which actually wasn’t very fast with four legs. He nearly tripped twice, catching a hoof and sliding along the wood.

At least the pictures online had been accurate. The upstairs had one larger bedroom facing the street—his, then a smaller bedroom and the shared bathroom on the other side. A bright rose was painted on that door.

Finally he got through the other side, slamming it shut behind him and slumping down to the floor with exhaustion. He remained there for a good few minutes, feeling his heart racing in his chest. This whole situation is impossible. I’m drugged, I’m hypnotized, I’m in VR…

All the rational explanations felt hollow to him now. His bare ass was on the carpet, how was he supposed to pretend he couldn’t feel it? So what do you do, Tracy? Give up now and go home? Give up your future?

More than just his future at Apex, if Discord was honest with him. Given everything else that had come true, that seemed like a safe assumption. Is it really that bad?

Tracy rose to his hooves again, moving cautiously to the open window. His disorientation faded a bit as he looked outside into the city’s entirely normal streets. An amber streetlight glowed through the slats, and a pair of headlights passed just outside.

Oh god, what would someone think if they saw me through there? At least his landlord had done him the decency of closing the shutters while moving everything in.

The order of it all was almost insulting, each box precisely stacked and every loose article of clothing folded neatly. And… washed apparently, if his nose was any guide.

How will I know if I’m properly dressed in the morning, living here? His entire outfit had turned into a half-vest and some almost socks, covering nothing and only making him feel more naked.

One night, and I can get the form to HR. How long would it take to get mail here, a few days? Once I get the verification, I can sleep in my car. I don’t have to come back if I keep paying.

Work had a shower, a gym, and everything else an aspiring engineer needed to never want to leave. All he had to do was use the services they provided, and this could be a… an embarrassing secret he never shared and pretended never happened.

Alright, Tracy, you’re doing this. A week, it can’t take more than that. Then you live in your car for three months, and you keep paying for this place in the meantime. The Devil doesn’t steal your soul and you don’t live in horse town.

Tracy barely even cared about the bedroom itself, but it was nicer than anywhere he’d stayed since his mother died. No black mold on the ceiling, a decently-sized walk-in closet, and a fresh mattress. He stared for a few seconds at the label, eyes wide with amazement and frustration. The Devil ordered a fucking ghost bed. What bizarro-world had he been trapped in where any of this made sense?

He didn’t do much to unpack, just moved the boxes down off his bed and searched through a few of them until he found what he was looking for: his bedding. It smelled freshly washed like everything else, though nothing could be done for the holes in the sheets and the lifetime of mysterious stains in the quilt.

Doesn’t matter. I’ve still got the sleeping bag for the car.

He settled his backpack by the door, then glanced briefly at his toiletries. No, I don’t care about that either. He could brush his teeth at work.

Tracy slept restlessly that day, which he’d fully expected. Sleeping on his back just didn’t seem to work, but a lifetime of instinct prevented him from getting comfortable any other way. He heard his new roommate passing his door several times during the night. He did his best to ignore it, resolving to purchase earplugs the next day.

Eventually his phone started vibrating with his work alarm, and he jerked upright. Crap, I forgot to adjust that. Before today, he’d been sleeping in an empty lot a few blocks from work. I’m going to be late.

He jerked out of bed, fumbling around in the groggy light until he found the outfit he’d left there—the same one he wore the day before, since he couldn’t be sure how anything else would work.

It wasn’t a simple matter of just slipping everything on—the vest was easy enough, but his stupid legs weren’t very cooperative. In the end, he had to resort to holding the sock in his mouth, pulling it down into place. It’s okay, nobody cares. You’re almost out of here.

He dragged the bag along behind him, not even trying to fight with the backpack today. He’d probably do something wrong, and it would come tearing off his back the instant he stepped outside anyway.

He held the stupid thing in his mouth, ignoring the unpleasant taste of half-oxidized rubber on the handle. It wasn’t quite so bad as “dirty socks,” anyway.

He stumbled down the stairs, nearly tripping twice on the smooth wood. He caught himself on lower floors only barely, holding himself in place with a narrow save with an extended hoof. Walking on four legs was awkward and stupid, but at least it was easy to stop from falling over.

He emerged onto the ground floor, turning to see three entirely naked people gathered around the kitchen table. They all turned to face him, and this time there were no screams of terror.

“Daisy, Lily! This is my new roommate! Whose… name I just realized I never learned. Why don’t you meet my sisters, roommate!”

The window behind them was entirely dark, with a few flickers of orange visible beyond. It seemed what was true in one direction was the same in reverse—his world and horsetown were direct opposites to each other.

He dropped the backpack, which landed with an unpleasant thump on the polished wood. “Tracy,” he said in his pre-coffee voice. “Sorry, I… late for work. No time to talk.”

How is everyone in this whole mad place naked all the time? Did I move in with a family of nudists?

“Oh, uh… bye then,” Rose said, her voice exasperated. “Have fun in the… vacant lot…”

Tracy ignored her, shutting the second door behind him, then practically galloping for the back. He stumbled out into the light, fighting back terror. What if it didn’t work, what if he emerged into the real world carrying his delusions with him? He’d be the Devil’s prisoner forever, unable to escape the nightmare.

His fears were in vain. He stumbled forward a few steps, and nearly fell over on his face. His mouth strained, as he struggled with the backpack his teeth didn’t want to lift anymore.

He kicked the door shut behind him, catching the bag in one hand and hurrying to his car. He’d still be late, but if he could get to work before the shift lead got there, he’d probably get away with it…

PreviousChapters Next