• Published 19th Mar 2020
  • 20,332 Views, 4,619 Comments

Fine Print - Starscribe



Tracy needed somewhere to stay, how was he supposed to know that it was in another universe? Now he'll somehow have to hold down a job on Earth while living as a pony in Equestria. It's either that, or say goodbye to being human.

  • ...
51
 4,619
 20,332

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 27

Tracy watched Rose closely, even more than his friends from Ely. She’d be the one he had to deal with tonight, regardless of how things went with them.

“I was just… going to ask if you wanted breakfast,” she asked, tail flicking nervously behind her. But she hadn’t run for her life, screaming about how he was about to lead an invasion of Equestria. That was probably the closest to a victory he’d win tonight.

“No thanks,” he said, the subtlest permission he could think of to let her leave. “That’s my roommate Roseluck,” he explained. “She’s the native who has to put up with me.”

Roseluck backed slowly away, pushing the door gently shut behind her. The others kept staring. Anton finally got to his feet again, looking between the open doorway and Tracy right beside it. “Real,” he said. “This is actually happening, and you never asked for help?”

Tracy shrugged in response, pushing the door gently closed and turning to face them. “Of course I didn’t. Remember how you felt when I told you what was happening? There’s no way to believe it without seeing it. Going across too, by the way. I don’t know if you saw, but… there’s really another world over there. I’ve seen the capital city, and it’s freakin’ gigantic. As big and fancy as DC, with way less trash and police.”

Shane swore a few more times, getting increasingly colorful as he went. “This whole thing is insane. Completely insane. Are we sure we saw it?” He wasn’t talking to Tracy anymore. “Could be something in the air. Something we were exposed to make us suggestable or something.”

“I never told you what I would look like,” Tracy said, annoyed. “Believe me, I tried to think of every explanation I could. I didn’t want to believe it. I tried to escape the contract, on this side of the door and the other. There’s no way out. But… at least now maybe you know why I can’t have houseguests?”

Anton nodded hastily. “I think I’d rather stay at the Airbnb now. You, uh…” He took another step back. “You don’t need to lead us over, Tracy, I think we can manage. Just forward the info to us, that should be fine.”

He watched them go from the doorway. He waited a little more, forwarding the emails. He’d already sent Anton’s info as the relevant contact, so it didn’t take long. Just enough time to be sure that anyone watching would get bored.

Finally he opened the door again, practically jumping to the other side. He had a technique now, for pulling it hard enough that it clicked shut behind him. He locked it just to be sure, drawing the blinds down across the window. Finally he turned, breathing heavily.

They might never talk to me again. They might call the police. God, what happens if they show up with a warrant.

But would they? How would San Jose PD respond to a call that there was a portal to another world in a duplex downtown?

Tracy hyperventilated by the door for a few more minutes, practically unaware of the passage of time. He waited nervously, expecting someone to come banging on the door at any moment. Or maybe he’d get a call, and discover his friends had turned him in for some kind of psychological evaluation.

Nothing happened. Nobody came storming up the front. The door behind him opened for a second time, and again it was Rose’s voice. “You want to explain what that was, Tracy?” her voice was stern, though nowhere near as angry as she’d sounded months ago. “What just happened?”

He spun to face her, walking slowly into the kitchen. She backed away—though not fearfully, the way Shane had done. She was just watching. “Those were friends from back home,” he said. He only made it as far as the inner door, before clicking it closed behind him. “They drove all the way here from Ely to surprise me.”

“You showed them Equestria,” Rose said flatly. “But didn’t take them in here?”

He nodded. “Discord put a rule in my contract about only having one person from my world here at a time. If they tried to insist on coming here, I would’ve had to lock them out. I don’t want that demon getting someone else in his paws.”

“Living here is that bad?”

She sounded so calm, but even Tracy could see the obvious landmine without walking over it. “I didn’t say that. But getting cursed by Discord isn’t. I don’t know what he’d do to them if they broke his rules. Would you want your friends getting cursed?”

“No,” she admitted, turning back to her breakfast. From the smell of it, the waffles she was cooking were completely burned.

“Don’t bother!” he called. “It’s toast!”

She took the waffle-iron off the stove, emptying its blackened contents into the sink. She couldn’t talk while she worked, since she had to stick her mouth in a protective mitten. I still don’t know how you can cook with that without burning your tongue through it.

Tracy might be getting to know Equestria more and more as the months went on, but somehow he still had a hard time imagining he would ever be cooking here. Good thing he didn’t have a kid, changing a diaper would probably cause an existential crisis.

But while she worked, Rose couldn’t interrupt him. “My friends were worried about me, that was all. When I told them about Equestria, they thought I was insane. There’s no magic on that side, no other worlds, no portals. Seeing it really scared them, and I’m not sure how they’ll react.”

Rose filled the iron with fresh batter, then finally spit out her mitten. “Your world has no magic?”

“That’s what mattered about all that?” He pulled out a kitchen chair, slumping down into it. He tossed his laptop bag callously up beside him. “Not the part where my friends think I’m crazy?”

“I know what that’s like too, about you. I turned out to be wrong… what part of Equestria did they think made you insane?”

“All of it. Another world in my apartment would be enough by itself. Everything else is just a little extra crazy-frosting.” He spread his wings placatingly, though he wasn’t sure it would make a difference at this point. “I’m not saying I agree with any of it, Rose, but I’ve been here. Don’t blame them for not understanding your world.”

She was silent for a long time. She finished with her cooking, pulled over a plate, and ate quietly. “I know you’re from somewhere else. I accept that the world you come from is different. But I hope you’ll understand how much Equestria has already been through. We barely made it through the first invasion. We can’t survive another.”

“They aren’t going to invade.” He kept back laughter, if only through great effort. “Rose, they’re three poor country kids. They aren’t going to hurt anyone, except maybe me. And even if they do, it would be an accident.”

He yawned, turning for the stairs. He didn’t much feel like taking an early morning trip to the flower stand today, not when he might get a call any second. He needed to stay close enough for service.

But no call came. He slept through the night without much issue, and found only a single message waiting for him when he woke up, from Anton. “Text me when you get off work, we’ll meet up.”

“OK,” he sent back.

At least there were no fires to put out at work, which made somewhere that things were normal. He focused on that, letting everything he couldn’t control fade from his mind. He left at the normal hour, and sent a group text as he was leaving the building. “Alright guys, I’m off. Where do we want to get together?”

No response. He made it to the car, pulled out onto the road, and still there was nothing. Tracy skipped his evening meal on the way back—probably they were just busy with something, and they’d get back to him. He’d lose out on another morning in Ponyville, but that wasn’t the end of the world. Tracy still had months left to visit as often as he wanted.

He knew something was wrong the instant he pulled to a stop in front of his place. Anton’s sedan already sat on the street, luggage piled on the backseat but no one inside.

The door swung all the way open, pressed flat to the back wall. At least the inner door was shut, so there wasn’t a view of another world for all to see. Still, Tracy sprinted to the door, his hunger forgotten.

I always locked it. And sure enough, the doorframe was split around the lock, splinters of wood on the ground from where the lock was pried off.

Really, guys? You broke into my house? At least, Tracy assumed it was them. He pulled the door back, and found no stickers or notifications from the police. If they’d broken in as part of some warrantless search, then they should’ve left something behind.

Tracy whipped out his phone, hands shaking as he texted. “What the hell, guys? Did you break into my house?”

He didn’t wait for a response. There was no chance they’d gone around the block to surprise him when he arrived, or something equally stupid. They’d left their car behind.

Tracy hesitated for another moment, hoping that there might be some other explanation. Any moment now the reply would come to explain this insane behavior. It didn’t. So he took the door in one hand, feeling it grind against its hinges. Was there anything in the contract about robbery? It was one of those few areas he hadn’t read that closely, other than remembering that it wouldn’t be his problem. I need to dig that thing out.

He stepped across the threshold, holding still until the transformation was complete. He pulled the door shut with his mouth, and it started to swing open again. Tracy groaned, then reached up to twist the deadbolt shut. It caught, keeping the door from opening. More work than he ever went to, since he had to use his mouth on the Ponyville side every time.

What the hell were you thinking? Tracy had been on many adventures with his friends over the years, few of them entirely legal. Out in the featureless desert, there wasn’t much to do other than blowing things up and marijuana.

He marched into the kitchen, expecting to find a terrified Rose trying to deal with three panicked and out-of-control ponies. Rose was there, though she wasn’t the only one.

Roseluck had her back to him in one of the kitchen chairs. The cream-colored earth pony named Bon Bon was here, wearing a heavy satchel on her back. In the other chair was an oversized lavender pony, one he’d heard about for months now but never seen.

Princess Twilight Sparkle, her wings half-spread as she directed the dragon in the seat beside her to take notes. She was also the first one to notice him, or at least the first one to address him directly. “Tracy Maxwell,” she said, raising her voice. She wasn’t angry, exactly, but spoke in that flat, authoritative tone he sometimes heard from police.

He nodded, resigned. “Yes, uh… Princess?” Maybe using her title would make her go easier on him?

“Please join us,” Twilight said. “Spike, would you mind?”

He slid out of his chair, grumbling to himself.

“We need to talk.”

Author's Note:

This week's fantastic art was done by Pridark.

PreviousChapters Next