• Published 19th Mar 2020
  • 20,305 Views, 4,619 Comments

Fine Print - Starscribe



Tracy needed somewhere to stay, how was he supposed to know that it was in another universe? Now he'll somehow have to hold down a job on Earth while living as a pony in Equestria. It's either that, or say goodbye to being human.

  • ...
51
 4,619
 20,305

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 10

Tracy’s next few days proceeded about the way he expected. Now that the pressure of HR on his shoulders had faded into the backdrop, he could focus much more on the simple task of just getting work done and impressing Janet. He already had a little ground to make up after that initial disappointment, but it didn’t feel beyond his ability. So long as he didn’t let his mind wander too much to the world he had to live in at night, he could work without too much difficulty.

Other than the additional financial strain of getting his car looked at, and paying for a stupid ticket. If there was one small mercy, it was that there didn’t seem to be anything wrong with the car. He was out the price of a tow and the investigation, but that was all.

The job itself was supposed to be the dream of a lifetime, and the paycheck certainly would be. But no matter how much he wanted to be completely devoted to it, Tracy found it hard to banish thoughts of the parallel world he now lived in. First it was simple resentment against the demon Discord, for trapping him in a contract that could sense his very intention to skirt the rules. Then the residents, for being so loud downstairs when he was trying to sleep. Roseluck, for tensing and going quiet whenever he walked into the room.

At least I don’t have to worry about thinking she’s pretty anymore. If she’s afraid of me, I can keep my privacy, and fight whatever brainwashing Discord does when I’m in there. Maybe that was part of the trick all along—nothing to do with eating the food of the underworld, but getting involved with the people there. Under that friendly exterior was a world filled with demons that never wanted to let him leave.

But past all that, past the resentment and the frustration, Tracy was still curious. Through connections too tenuous for anyone to sense, he now had direct contact with another world. It had its own culture, its own wildlife, its own dominant species, and he knew almost nothing about it.

For the first week, that thought festered under his devotion to the internship and the lack of any force trying to drag him away. Apex had plenty of interesting projects to capture his attention, even if an intern like himself was usually shoved into whatever role the actual employees wanted least. But instead of daydreaming of a future where his bills paid automatically and he could eat wherever he wanted, Tracy kept thinking back to the house that shouldn’t exist and the world it existed in.

It doesn’t mean I’m giving in to the demon if I take a look around. I’m taking advantage of my situation, I’m being smart. If there’s a way to turn this around on him somehow, it’s probably on that side. Maybe the work was entirely necessary, because gold was incredibly common on that side, and he could trade chocolate for it or something. He could make millions as a ferengi trader.

There was one major obstacle to that goal, just how misaligned their time seemed to be. Through cosmic coincidence—or more likely, demonic design—Earth and Equestria seemed to be exactly twelve hours apart. When his day ended, the Equestrian day began. He could probably take advantage of that fact, at the cost of a little tiredness at work.

He wasn’t sure exactly what he was supposed to do to prepare—but maybe there was nothing anyone could do. As far as he knew, he was the first human being to ever set foot in another world. Maybe this would all end better than expected, and he would end up with his name in a history book somewhere.

So far as he could tell, there was nothing in his contract banning him from trying to share everything he’d seen with the world. He could write a book about it, start a YouTube channel, whatever people did to get noticed.

But before he could think about any of that, before he could come up with a plan for not getting institutionalized after coming out with a completely insane story, he first had to learn more about his new prison.

He shut the inner door behind him on Friday evening, a little earlier than he usually got home. He’d skipped the trip for takeout, and sure enough Roseluck was downstairs fixing breakfast. Or… eating it, anyway. Apparently Equestria had cereal, and she was feeling lazy. I should really check out the kitchen when she’s away, see what these horse-people eat.

“Hey, uh… Rose. Can I call you Rose?” He settled his backpack down, facing determinedly away from her. At least this way it would mean he wouldn’t be displaying so much of what the clothes didn’t cover. Tracy also didn’t wait for an answer. “I was wondering if you could give me some advice, about where to go in… Equestria?” He glanced nervously at the door, then back to her.

For her part, the horse-girl stared up at him, eyes widening. It seemed almost like she’d been expecting him to ask this. Was this related to why she’d become so quiet and cold lately?

He still didn’t stop. “I’ve wanted to see your country since I moved in, and I haven’t had a chance. Maybe you know some… spots I should visit?”

Her eyes narrowed, and she pushed her overflowing binder aside. Over the last week she’d clearly been trying to organize her papers, without much success. “You want to casually visit military bases, magical defenses, and government buildings?”

His eyes widened, confused. “What? No! Hell no do I want to go anywhere near your military. Just, like… a park, a landmark, maybe a restaurant. Though I’m not really sure about money. I don’t think you’ll take what we use.”

He turned, fishing around in the front flap of his backpack and pulling out the wallet. Aside from being a little too large for him, it looked exactly the same as he pulled it out, flipping it open to reveal the plastic inside. “Do horses take credit cards?”

She slammed the binder closed, then rose to her hooves, breakfast forgotten. “We use bits, just like any sane creatures. What kind of money is that?” Her suspicion was momentarily replaced with confusion as she poked at one of the cards.

“I… Nevermind. I guess forget about the restaurant idea. Maybe I’ll…” He looked away, frowning. “Discord said something about taking gold to a currency exchange. I guess that’s what I’ll have to do if I want any of your money. Unless you wanted to do something simpler and just trade.”

But whatever he’d said, it wasn’t the right thing. Roseluck’s mouth hung open, and her lips formed the same word, repeated over and over. He didn’t have a prayer of guessing what it was on a pair of horse lips. Maybe if she’d been human he could understand. “Look, whatever you’re thinking, it’s not that. I just want to see what your food tastes like. That’s… one of the things you’re supposed to do when you’re a tourist, right? Everybody eats, so it’s one of the things that unites us. New recipes, new culture… I just worry that I’d feel like I missed out if I didn’t try it now.”

For a second he wondered if he’d just broken Roseluck’s brain completely, and she wasn’t going to respond at all. But then she nodded, expression bleak. “There’s, uh… food, right. Let me…” Suddenly she broke into a grin, so wide he almost started feeling suspicious. “We could do that! Tour of… well, not all Equestria. You’d need to pay for an air-cruise or something to do that. But I could show you around Ponyville. I have a friend who works at a bakery, they’d give us free lunch no problem. We trade them flowers for their tables, so…”

“Great,” he said awkwardly. “How about a week from now? Is that too soon?”

She considered, glancing nervously back at the binder. Then she shook her head. “No, not at all! I’ll ask her today, and… I’m positive she’ll approve.”

“Perfect,” he said, retreating. “Thanks. I’m… well, I’m sorry I haven’t tried to talk more. It’s… I’ve never been very good at making new friends. Least of all when they’re…” That probably wasn’t the kindest thing to say, and he shoved it aside. “This isn’t my world. I don’t really know what I’m doing here. Even if I won’t be sticking around, I… appreciate the help.”

Somehow that got her attention. Though this time it was confusion instead of horror, at least if he was reading her expressions right. “You’re not staying? This isn’t… You’re not a scout for something?”

He laughed, shaking his head. “Just trying to last through my contract. I knew the bastard was slimy, but… Discord has me staying against my will. Still… wrong of me to take it out on you.”

She left then, wandering out the door with one last glance in Tracy’s direction. It was strange for her to leave the kitchen a mess, or leave her books out like that. She was always so self-conscious about whatever she was writing.

He waited a moment to see if she would return, then casually approached the table and pulled over a loose sheet. He didn’t expect to be able to read it, but then he probably shouldn’t have been able to understand their spoken language, and he could do that.

There wasn’t much to understand. It was an accounting spreadsheet, or the fragment of one. Amounts of… flowers, if he remembered those names right. He’d probably heard the names of each once or twice over the years. So strike off the theory of entirely alien biology for this place. The horse-people might not look very much like horses, but apparently they had the same plants.

Or maybe the translation was arbitrary, and the names of plants he knew were chosen at random for life that the human mind could scarcely comprehend.

There was a lot of red ink on the bottom of the page. If this was some kind of sales manifest, clearly the sales weren’t going well.

Is Roseluck a horse version of what I am, someone desperate with nowhere else to go?

He pushed the page aside, ears flattening with embarrassment. It was none of his business really, any more than he would’ve wanted her playing with his TV after not understanding what a movie was.

Tracy made his way to the window, closer than he’d been since his first day. He stared out at a place that shouldn’t exist—streets hundreds of years in the past, buildings that weren’t much better. Yet he’d always imagined people in the past as dirty and sick, and the ones outside didn’t look either. Actually, one of them was heading right for the door.

He winced as the gray horse landed on the path, skidding a little on her hooves and nearly falling over. She righted herself despite the weight of her bags, then marched straight up to the door and knocked.

There could be no pretending he wasn’t here, not with the window right there and her face grinning at him only a few feet away.

This is a warmup, it’s fine. I already live with one of them, I can talk to a different one.

He walked slowly, then bent down and pulled the door open with his mouth. It was a little awkward thinking of all the other horse mouths that had been on it, but he managed.

“Hello!” the horse said, smiling brightly at him. She wasn’t quite looking at him, now that he thought about it. Her eyes didn’t focus. “Are you, uh… Tracy Maxwell?”

He blinked, utterly baffled by the question. Then he nodded. “You actually said it right. My roommate never does.”

She giggled, holding out one hoof with a letter. Of course that only made her look more adorable, right down to her silly vest and mailbag. “I get a lot of hard names delivering mail. Yours isn’t that bad.”

How is she holding a letter like that? We don’t have fingers.

Tracy wasn’t exactly sure how he was supposed to take the letter, so he settled for just grabbing it in his mouth and settling it down on the windowsill beside him. She didn’t seem to mind that, or even think it was strange. “Have a nice day!” she said, turning and taking off the way she’d come.

After he’d finished blushing, Tracy shut the door behind her, and turned his attention to this new strangeness. A letter for him? From the wrong side of the house?

He nearly crossed back to his side to read it, but it probably wasn’t a good idea to do that too often. Sooner or later someone was going to see a horse walking out the door and call animal control.

The letter looked surprisingly official for something dredged up out of horse town. Or… Ponyville? Wasn’t that what Roseluck called it? There was a fancy sun-and-moon seal printed in the corner, and his own name and equestrian address in the middle. Actually, if those symbols were a stamp, it was so similar to the way things worked on Earth that he might’ve been able to mail it as-is.

Inside was a thick bundle of legal-looking writing. Most of it didn’t make sense to him, though he did stop to read the first line of the beginning.

“Tracy Maxwell, by order of the Equestrian Immigration Service, your application for residency visa has been approved.”

He skimmed the rest of it, but there wasn’t a lot to see. Just more confirmation of how approved he was to be there. I guess that’s good. I won’t get horse deported. But who had sent that in? More importantly, did that mean Equestria knew more about his world than the other way around? If there was procedure for an alien living in one of their towns… maybe they weren’t as primitive as a few glances out his window suggested.

PreviousChapters Next