• Published 15th Apr 2020
  • 6,555 Views, 286 Comments

The Devil's Prize - MerryMelancholy



Princess Nightmare Moon has it all. Socially awkward shut in Twilight Sparkle has nothing of worth. Princess Nightmare Moon can acquire anything she desires. Twilight Sparkle can't seem to catch a break. So why's the Princess desire Twilight Sparkle?

  • ...
13
 286
 6,555

Chapter 20: Back to the Beginning

Within Canterlot Castle, both Princess Cadence and Princess Nightmare Moon soon awoke. There was a drawn-on silence between them, as they simply readjusted themselves in a calm manner, before soon facing one another. Princess Nightmare Moon was the first to break the silence, as she simply stared at Cadence in amusement. "So many years hiding that mare, yet now you are willingly handing her over to me? Strange."

Princess Cadence sighed, as she shrugged and looked at Princess Nightmare Moon with indifference. "I don't know what you have planned for Twilight, Auntie, but I felt you should know what you're getting involved in. Yet it seems even with my memories, that won't deter you from your current course of action. A shame."

Princess Nightmare Moon raised a brow. "How would such delicious potential deter me?"

Princess Cadence cast her gaze downward. "Years ago, you warned me of a place where love dies."

Princess Nightmare Moon blinked, before eyeing Cadence curiously. "You've held on to those words?"

Princess Cadence continued to eye the ground. She ignored Nightmare Moon's question however, and simply pressed on in the conversation, eyeing her intently. "I'd hoped after saving Twilight, I could deter her from seeking magic. I funded her childhood, and even her caretakers until she came of age. All under the rug of course." She glanced around the throne room, at the variety of glass murals. "Yet it seems Twilight will always have ties to a grander destiny. It's how she found me... and of course," she looked back to Nightmare Moon, "How she found you too." She paused again, "Even when I distanced myself, she inevitably came back."

Princess Nightmare Moon seemed confused, remaining silent now as she pondered Cadence's point.

Princess Cadence continued. "Auntie, I've come to accept my role in this world and the future you've carved out for us. Peace is sustainable I believe, and only through the harsh reality of Twilight's actions did I come to learn that. But you misinterpret my intentions, for I never truly feared what you would do to Twilight someday."

Princess Nightmare Moon raised a brow at Cadence yet again.

Princess Cadence glanced over again at one of the many glass murals. "I feared what Twilight would do to you, to us, if allowed to pursue her desires and flourish. But I see now that even my unconscious desires cannot diverge the course of things. My actions may have stalled or delayed what destiny has set in motion, but we all must flow with it regardless." She sighed, "So do what you believe you have to. I won't be interfering. Though I habitually feared your often rash responses, I see now that even you are not beyond... certain influence."

Princess Nightmare Moon scoffed, smirking in slight surprise. "So that's it then? You simply allowed things to play out the way they have, and will continue to do so? Surely you have a will of your own, dearest Niece."

Princess Cadence looked towards the suitcases she packed, as she began to lift them with telekinetic magic, before nodding to her Auntie Nightmare Moon. "I realize that my will shall come into play at a time when necessary. That my role, much like yours, is more tied to Twilight than we know. Our control of the situation is but child's play in comparison to hers. As powerful as you are Auntie, you still believe differently however?"

Princess Nightmare Moon snickered. "She truly scared you that day, didn't she? Our nameless mare." She closed her eyes, "But I can assure you Cadence, in my thousands of years of life, that her influence is not as strong as you believe." She looked to her niece confidently, "Destiny can be shifted and altered... with the right motivation of course. I refuse to play the role of a background player in this grand conspiracy of yours."

Princess Cadence nodded to Nightmare Moon as she made her way towards the doors then, "As expected. Your stubbornness and adamancy to do things your way is of no surprise to me Auntie." She opened the doors then, before glancing back at her one last time. "Play your games, I'll still be attending to my other duties."

Princess Nightmare Moon smirked, "Speaking of which, where have you hidden her family?"

Princess Cadence's eyes widened at her, surprised by the question.

Princess Nightmare Moon continued, "Oh? Surely you didn't think I'd miss that little detail. Your memory gave no insight into the future beyond that point, but I know you wouldn't have simply forgotten about them. Especially the stallion. Is caretaking to his needs one of your other duties as you like to call them? Cute."

Princess Cadence remained silent, before trotting out the throne room. "Goodbye Auntie."

Princess Nightmare Moon remained standing confidently, smirking at Cadence as she departed. However, as the throne room doors shut, Princess Cadence glanced back at her with a piercing gaze. One she couldn't decipher or read into. Yet it was surprisingly indiscriminate, but there was a hidden malice deep within.

Princess Cadence's final words echoed then, as she disappeared from sight. "And goodluck."

Princess Nightmare Moon stood alone now, before grinning in wicked amusement. "The game's afoot then."


It seemed hours had passed for Twilight, as she still waited within the Castle of Two Sisters.

Lady Rarity peered down at Twilight Sparkle, who sat daydreaming on a nearby bench. "Daaarling~"

Twilight's eyes snapped wide, as she looked up then at Lady Rarity. "A-Ah, Lady Rarity, I um-"

Lady Rarity smirked, "Shhhh. It's alright. No need to explain yourself to me." She glanced around the empty halls of the Castle of Two Sisters, before focusing back on Twilight. "Everypony else has already departed to their quarters it seems. The guards are not exactly required to venture this deep into the castle. So alas, it is just you and me." She tilted her head to the right, "Was there anything you wanted to ask me? Don't be shy."

Twilight was silent for a moment, before looking down again in contemplation. "I guess... I just wish I knew why the Princess would include me in anything at all. I know she'll be seeing me when she desires, but... I just hope she doesn't expect anything of me. I'm nopony special, and all I've done is make mistakes." She frowned somewhat, "I... I would rather she punish me. It all seemed it'd be simple enough, but now I'm not so sure."

Rarity continued to smirk down at Twilight. "Oh darling, no need to be such a masochist. Take pride in the fact the Princess has gone through such lengths to find you and furthermore, contemplate your worth." She leaned down somewhat, tilting Twilight's head up to look her in the eyes. "To be quite honest, I didn't expect you'd make it this far either." She rose and straightened herself out. "I thought the Princess simply found herself a new toy, and perhaps she has, but... I too expect more out of you. You're a strange mare... too strange even."

Twilight looked at Rarity, shaking her head. "It's just my condition, it may seem special... but it's not."

Rarity snickered, "Is that what you've told yourself your whole life? Such trauma, it's quite delectable." She paused, "Naivety. That's what defines you as of right now Twilight Sparkle. The queen of conveniences, yet earnest down to the bone." She began to face away from the mare then, "There is much of the world you must still come to know, before you can ever give an accurate assessment of yourself. Shall we take the first steps?"

Twilight's eyes widened in confusion. "H-Huh?"

Rarity nudged her head in a random direction. "Come, seeing as the Princess hasn't returned for you yet, it falls to me to simply operate off my brilliant intuition. The first being, to show you the sights of Ponyville as well."

Twilight rose from the bench then, looking to Lady Rarity curiously.

Then without a moment's notice, Lady Rarity's horn began to glow a misty violet shade, as from her magic came an ethereal gateway containing the same essence. "Come come, there's no need to be afraid darling." She was the picture of absolute calm, as she trotted into the gateway before disappearing entirely. "This way~"

Twilight's eyes were wide as she peered into the gateway, before trotting inside and disappearing.


Twilight came out the other side of the portal, arriving at a marbled hilltop with an extravagant canopy, bird fountain, furnishings, and most importantly a perfect overview of Ponyville. She pressed forward slowly.

It was now nighttime, as the full moon with Celestia's faint image upon its surface, hung in the sky.

Lady Rarity already stood at the edge of the hilltop, gazing down at the prestigious town. She used her hoof to reference the various landmarks she spoke of. "As you can see, the river of Everfree flows throughout the entirety of the town. There in the center is the town hall. Ponyville is host to many prestigious operations."

Twilight took in the sights, as she'd noticed all the bridges and roads were paved with pristine white marble. The town was practically a glistening bastion of wealth. Every roof was tiled with patterned stone, and every building painted to perfection. Those who trotted about all even seemed to be the very picture of happiness and contentment. Everything put Canterlot to shame. Twilight, however, couldn't help but feel a heavy tension underlying the beauty of everything. "I'd heard Ponyville was beautiful, but this isn't quite what I imagined."

Lady Rarity placed a hoof upon her chest and raised her head high. "Oh, I'm flattered darling. Ponyville is... well, to put it simply, sort of like a little personal pet project of mine. I've put a lot of effort into making it worthy of being in such close proximity to the Princess' locale of preference. Due to all the tourism, it's only more important that it be a shining example of pony prosperity across all of Equestria." She exhaled, "A true gem."

Twilight continued to look out at the town, before her gaze turned towards the west. In which she saw an extravagant farm, gated and barred from the more populated areas of town, and atop the main farmhouse, the prestigious M of MACdonalds. She blinked a few times in curiosity, looking also towards a nearby mansion.

Lady Rarity interjected. "Ah yes, Applejack's place of residence in Ponyville. She was a key component of raising the tourism here during my initial phases of cleaning up the town. Though that M is quite the eyesore, the accompanying farm and natural components to it all truly make up for its more corporate nature. Yet ironically, it was the perfect combination for fans of her character. It showed her humble roots, while also highlighting her prestigious climb up the corporate ladder. Though of course it must be barred to prevent... rabid fans."

Twilight looked to Lady Rarity in further surprise. "S-So the others... they all stay here too?"

Lady Rarity raised a brow at Twilight momentarily, confused by her wording, before realizing and nodding with amusement. "Ah yes, if by others, you mean those close to the Princess you've become acquainted with. We all have a sort of... base of operations... here in Ponyville particularly. It makes things convenient for when we must all gather and carry out the Princess' desires. In time, you will likely become familiar with all of them." She paused, "It seems the masquerade has highlighted a strange allure you carry. Applejack and Diane in particular seemed more than eager to speak with you." She closed her eyes, "It's all quite amusing, like excited fillies."

Twilight blinked a few times, before looking downward again in quiet contemplation.

Lady Rarity snickered, "Still pondering your role in everything? I do not blame you. We all felt that way in the beginning, but the Princess has a way of... bringing us all together. Someday you will come to understand."

Twilight looked to Lady Rarity with half closed eyes, still uncertain what to believe.

Lady Rarity smiled at her warmly, before nudging her head off in another random direction. "One of your biggest fans, Rainbow Dash, was just the same as you. Uncertain, naive, so sure of her own failures."

Twilight looked towards the direction Lady Rarity nudged her head, only to see a cloud house in the distant sky. She curiously looked back to Lady Rarity then. "She's one of my biggest fans? I don't see why. I'm not famous."

Lady Rarity rolled her eyes before continuing. "All I'm saying is give it some time darling, you're not in an unfamiliar position from the rest of us. I've known the Princess longest, so I can recognize certain habits."

Twilight looked to Rarity in slight surprise. "You've known the Princess longest?"

Lady Rarity closed her eyes halfway, giving Twilight a sly smile. "Since I was a little filly."

Twilight was silent as she simply gave Rarity a look of further surprise.

Lady Rarity snickered, before exhaling. "Ah yes, it does bring me back. I was the first to be chosen by the Princess, and I embraced my role wholeheartedly. I wanted nothing more than to shine like the gem I knew I was meant to be. She saw this in me and helped me flourish; she taught me the true meaning of generosity."

Twilight glanced down, absently. "S-So... you think I too was chosen?"

Lady Rarity chuckled, "Think!? I knooooow, darling! Though you are a much more complicated find."

Twilight looked over at her, nervously, before looking back down. "I... I still think it's all a bit sudden."

Lady Rarity placed a hoof atop her head in a playful manner, "Then do not think of it. Simply let it happen. You are not alone in this afterall." She looked Twilight in the eyes, her gaze practically penetrating the mare. "I am here for you. We all are." She looked back out towards Ponyville, "But enough about the future and what-ifs. Tell me Twilight Sparkle, what sight catches your eye the most? Let us take a little visit. A fresh new memory!"

Twilight was silent for a time, gazing out across the town and its wonderous sights. Yet there came a moment of pause, as she looked down again and guilt built within her. Truly was it alright for her to move forward?

Lady Rarity saw this and immediately pressed upon it, playfully. "Speak your words, darling."

Twilight looked to her, almost hesitantly, and nervously muttered. "I-Is there a library here?"

Lady Rarity squinted at Twilight in satisfaction, giving her a wide and eager smile.


Wooden doors slowly creaked open at an undisclosed location. Within, books were shelved in an organized manner upon an abundance of cabinets, as a spiral staircase lead further up what appeared to be an indoor treehouse. Standing in the doorway was Lady Rarity and Twilight Sparkle. Lady Rarity leaned forward somewhat, trying to get a good look at Twilight, her playful expression still apparent. "So darling, this is Golden Oak Library. What do you think of it? We've done renovations here to ensure a wide variety of the most diverse reads from across Equestria are available." She paused, "Funnily enough, it's even run only by volunteers."

Twilight's eyes were wide with a hungry fascination. Her expression marred by her obvious desire and love for all that she saw before her. Yet just as swiftly as that undeniable love appeared, she looked down in uncertainty. She shook her head, "I... I don't think I should be here actually. Maybe we should go back."

Lady Rarity then nudged Twilight along, "Oh no no, I insist. Come along now darling."

Twilight flinched, but as she was nudged, hesitantly she made her way further inside.

Lady Rarity made her way to the front of Twilight, using a grand hoof gesture. "Take it all in."

Twilight felt flooded by a sea of emotions, as she began to tremble in place. "I don't know if I should."

Lady Rarity elegantly made her way to Twilight's side and ran a hoof down the back of her mane and then her back, "Oh you should, and you will! Because it's getting so so late, and I believe it is time I depart and for you to get acquainted. I know when to trust my intuition, and your eyes tell no lies darling." She backed away then.

Twilight flinched, before turning to face Lady Rarity. "What!? B-But Lady Rarity, I-"

Lady Rarity however had conjured a portal, slowly backing into it. "Shhh, it's alright. I'll be back soon."

Then without another moment's, Lady Rarity was gone. Twilight watched her portal disappear with utter confusion, before she simply stood in place and attempted to halt her trembling. She thought back to Moondancer then, and how much she missed her. Yet, even still... she also couldn't shake her undeniable excitement and earnest feelings that took place as she stood here. Something about this place felt like home, and she pondered Lady Rarity's awareness of that. Twilight took some time to simply trot about, slowly, trembling all the while as she ran her hooves across some of the pristine shelves. "What am I doing?"

She eventually made her way towards an open window, gazing out then towards Ponyville.

And high in the sky, watching Twilight from afar upon a cloud was Rainbow Dash. "Tch..."

Comments ( 4 )

As cadence say you can't stop destiny only delay it, twlight where she belongs now, all the pieces are slow falling into place, except having a number one assistant

11886032 no assistant

Destiny: Oh noes! Which dastardly fellow put a dragon egg in a treebrary of all places? It's gona be such an influx of stress for whoever finds it, one might even surge! Good thing nobody magicaly strong enough is currently in such a place, right?

Hm, didn't think she'd get set up in Ponyville so quickly...

Can't wait to see more interactions between Twilight and NMM though!

I like the idea that Twilight can't not be at the center of the universe. Even when Cadence tried to chase her away from destiny, destiny still found her.

Then without a moment's notice, Lady Rarity's horn began to glow a misty violet shade, as from her magic came an ethereal gateway containing the same essence. "Come come, there's no need to be afraid darling." She was the picture of absolute calm, as she trotted into the gateway before disappearing entirely. "This way~"

I get the impression Rarity is a much tougher mare than in canon, since such a form of teleportation is a huge skill.

But that is the side effect of serving the Nightmare herself.

Login or register to comment