• Published 15th Apr 2020
  • 6,533 Views, 286 Comments

The Devil's Prize - MerryMelancholy



Princess Nightmare Moon has it all. Socially awkward shut in Twilight Sparkle has nothing of worth. Princess Nightmare Moon can acquire anything she desires. Twilight Sparkle can't seem to catch a break. So why's the Princess desire Twilight Sparkle?

  • ...
13
 286
 6,533

Chapter 6: Masquerade Madness! - Part 1

I've gotten this strange feeling... that things are changing.

Twilight looked up in awe upon the sight of the Masquerade. The building could be considered a castle in its own right. Bright vivid lights surrounded the premises, as a gorgeous velvet carpet was strewn out front and center. The nightlife was vibrant, with ponies of decor and class strolling every corner. Twilight hadn't even realized the world could become so unfamiliar; the difference in the glamor of the high life and the average pony's was exponential. Princess Nightmare Moon did help accelerate her new Equestrian age with her obsessive advancements, but Twilight missed the point the gap became so dramatic. It was impressive.

Twilight stared blankly up at the building. I guess that's probably normal, considering the circumstances. She looked over to her friends; all who were giggling amongst one another in excited anticipation, organizing their tickets. Twilight then looked down at her mask and smiled hopefully. But I'm almost at the end now, once I get my surgery and graduate... I'll finally have made up for everything. She removed her glasses slowly while her horn sparked, and those glasses poofed into contacts, which she put on with telekinesis. I'm sure gonna miss these basic transmutation spells. She slid her mask on as she blinked a few times. But we all make sacrifices. Right?

Minuette called out to Twilight, "Hey Twilight! Come on we're heading on inside!"

Twilight looked to her group of friends with warmth. Now, don't be nervous Twilight... it's just one night. She made her way over to them, before chuckling to herself nervously. As they all made their way towards the front doors within a crowd of many other ponies, Twilight raised her head confidently. So let's end it nice and quietly.


Arriving towards a back opposing entrance was Princess Nightmare Moon hidden away in a chariot. Accompanying her was Rainbow Dash, Rarity, and Tempest. Princess Nightmare Moon used telekinetic magic to slide a magical ring over her horn; as both her wings disappeared and her mane became natural with a sapphire shade. The whites of her eyes even showed, as she crossed her hooves and looked to Rarity.

Rarity smirked at Princess Nightmare Moon. "And one last touch Princess." She held up a mask in front of her.

Princess Nightmare Moon sighed, sliding it over her face. "Very well, is this good enough?"

Tempest also smiled at Princess Nightmare Moon, already wearing her mask. "Stunning."

Rainbow Dash had her hooves crossed as she looked to Princess Nightmare Moon uncomfortably, then looking out the window. "So this is all for some mare Princess? That's what's been bothering you? Why her though?"

Princess Nightmare Moon looked to Dash in amusement. "Yes Dash, a mare who has been painfully on my mind." She raised a brow at her, "Perhaps it is a similar feeling to how you felt thinking of me? Hmhm."

Rainbow Dash flinched before glaring angrily out the window. "Let's just get this over with then."

Princess Nightmare Moon leaned over and ran a hoof down Dash's cheek. "Don't be like that Dash; I wouldn't have told you at all, but you are my most loyal soldier and I've trained you well. You are fast and cunning, enough to subdue her if she were to attempt an escape. Afterall, we are working with unique circumstances." She sighed, glancing to her lower left as Princess Cadence popped up in her mind. "I do recall her mentioning this party, so we must be inconspicuous as well. I do not wish to be pulled into any of Cadence's business."

Rainbow Dash just opened the door, "Whatever. I'm heading on inside." She stomped out the cart.

Princess Nightmare Moon chuckled a bit. "She's so grumpy. To think it would bother her this much."

Tempest began exiting the cart next, "Yes, you must know how that feels huh? All this for a mare."

Princess Nightmare Moon flinched as her nose wrinkled in anger. "What was that?"

Tempest snickered in amusement. "Oh nothing nothing, I'll be heading inside as well."

Princess Nightmare Moon growled beneath her breath, ironically now just as grumpy.

Rarity began to exit. "Come Princess, do not let it bother you. After tonight this'll all be over."

Princess Nightmare Moon followed suit as she huffed. "Let's just get this over with then."

As they all stood towards an opposing entrance, now encroaching upon the Masquerade party, each of them wore a mask and a simplistic dress. Beautiful enough to blend in, but not stunning enough to stand out completely. However, due to Princess Nightmare Moon's gracious figure, she'd draw attention regardless.


As Twilight's group got inside, they all looked around in deep wonder at the sight of the party. It was grand and seemingly endless in terms of routes to take and places to go. The stairways all lead to different doors, and the building itself only seemed to go up and up. Ponies all conversed with one another as the majority seemed relaxed as if used to this sort of thing. They sipped wine, ate snacks from trays, and conversed with butlers for directions. As Twilight's group stood there, all of them except Minuette and Bon Bon gulped. Minuette cheered!

Minuette glanced over at one of the butlers, pointing to him. "Okay okay! First let's ask for some directions!"

Bon Bon smirked at Minuette confidently. "Sounds like a solid start to the night."

Minuette giggled, "Riiiiiight!? Bon Bon, you're used to this. You come with me!"

Bon Bon nodded with a humble shrug. "Sure thing, least I can do for some noobies."

Lyra looked at Bon Bon with a slight glare as her nose wrinkled; not amused. "Mhmmm."

Both Minuette and Bon Bon approached one of the many butlers, before Minuette inquired. "Sir Sir! By chance you know where the dance floors are located? We got a map at the front door but-" Minuette pulled out about five crumpled pieces of paper stuffed in a small purse she had. "-It's all a bit confusing." She smiled at him.

The butler raised his head confidently at the two. "Understandable Ma'am, we always tend to have newcomers to the Grand Plaza." He referenced a main set of stairs down the center. "There are five total dance floors; two dedicated to slow dance as well as two dedicated to the more.... modern, forms of expression. The slow dance rooms are located on the third level, high up where the balcony is located overlooking the main lobby. On level two is where you will find the more vivid and wild dance rooms, with quite the modern taste of musical expression." He coughed into a hoof, before looking back to Minuette with a confident smile. "The final is on the fifth level, a ballroom of honor dedicated specifically on this night to foreign guests of ours. We suggest if you go up there, to be on your very best behavior." He nodded to her, "Might you have any other questions?"

Bon Bon glanced over at Minuette. "Satisfied?"

Minuette was scribbling stuff down on her papers with a pen. "Uuuh, yeah yeah, I got it!"

Bon Bon looked to the butler with a satisfied smirk. "Looks like we're good Sir, tha-"

But interjecting suddenly was Twinkleshine, who appeared nervous. "S-Sir! What about the banquet areas?"

Minuette glanced over at Twinkleshine confused. "Huh? Twinkleshine, you hungry?"

Lemon Hearts raised a brow at Twinkleshine from behind. "Why didn't you say anything earlier?"

Twinkleshine groaned, glancing back at her, "What!? Can I not be hungry now? Yeesh!"

The butler blinked a few times, waiting for a pause before explaining. "Ah yes, by the banquet area I assume you are referring to the main banquet located on the fourth floor? This is where our primary main dishes are gathered; along with many of the lobbies for those looking for a bit of quiet in the night. Outside of the first-floor lobby of course. On each level you'll find quarters dedicated to smaller more simplistic cuisine, however. So, you need not travel up that far if you are not looking to settle down for some time. But, the choice is yours."

Twinkleshine sighed in deep satisfaction. "Oh thank goodness! I'm sooooo starving!" She looked suddenly back at the group, "Who's gonna come with me to get some grub? Mmmmmm, Twilight!" She immediately pointed a hoof at Twilight. "Come on Twilight, let's head up to the fourth level and grab some food! It'll be fun!"

Twilight raised a brow at Twinkleshine. "Oh ah, it's okay Twinkleshine. I'm not that hungry."

Twinkleshine suddenly raced over to Twilight, wrapping a hoof around her. "No no Twilight, I insist. You're who I want with me! Let's go check it out so we can let the others know what's up there too when they get hungry!"

Lemon Hearts smiled wide. "Sounds fun! I'll go too!"

Twinkleshine snarled at Lemon Hearts. "NO! You stay!" She smiled wide and nuzzled Twilight, "Just me and Twi!"

Lemon Hearts looked at Twinkleshine with a dead expression; perplexed. "What the buck?"

Lyra, Bon Bon, and Minuette eyed Twinkleshine in confusion. Minuette tilted her head, "Gosh Twinkleshine, you must really be hungry. I mean... if you really want to head up to the fourth floor I guess you can." She glanced around at the others, "And we wouldn't want you to go alone? But um... why Twilight? She isn't even hungry."

Twinkleshine appeared quite annoyed as she glared at the others. "Why NOT Twilight? Huh? Something wrong with her?" She immediately grabbed Twilight's cheeks and stared into her eyes. "She's my roomie! Of course, I want her to come with me!" She glared back at them again, "You all need to stop being so judgemental! Tch!"

Minuette still appeared a bit confused. "I'm your roomie too but okay." She looked at Twilight in a guilty manner, "Since Twinkleshine wants to be complicated. You mind going with her Twilight? We'll all be heading to level two to get some groove on! Grab some drinks!" She smiled wide, "Ya two just wanna meet us there?"

Twilight blinked a few times and nodded before glancing at Twinkleshine, then back at the rest of the group. "A-Ah sure. Sounds like a logical plan. We'll both meet you on level two after we grab some food then."

Minuette, Bon Bon, Lyra and Lemon Hearts all nodded in agreement. Lyra commented with excitement, "Alrighty then! Well let's stop idling and go enjoy the night! I didn't come here for just chit chat! Let's boogie!"

Lemon Hearts began rhythmically shaking her rear. "Oooooh yeah! Time to show you my wild side girls!"

Bon Bon raised a brow at the both of them. "Okay okay, simmer down. You haven't even had drinks yet."

Minuette sighed as she looked to Twilight and Twinkleshine worriedly. "Well I guess we'll part ways for now. But you two better not get into trouble! We'll be waiting for you both on the second level! A-And I want to know what sort of food they have for later!" As Minuette and the others slowly began to make way for the stairs, Minuette waved a hoof at them. "Stay safe girls and have fun! Remember! Second level! We'll be waiting!"

As they all left, Twilight waved back at them blankly.

Twinkleshine smiled wide, before clutching onto Twilight and nudging her. "Okay, let's go Twilight."

Twilight blinked a few times at Twinkleshine, before raising her brow a bit... skeptically.


As they climbed the levels, Twinkleshine remained latched onto Twilight, excitedly taking in the sights. Twilight was calm and composed, also looking around curiously. Ponies were already a mess, Twilight noticed.

A drunken mare approached Twilight; her face caked in makeup as her dress was already quite loose. She had a friend with her, but that didn't stop the mare. "Hi Cutie, looking quite androgynous! Such goooood genetics." She ran a hoof down the side of Twilight's face. "If you weren't in that tux, I'd have mistaken you for a mare!"

Twinkleshine smacked her hoof away, "Hey! HEY! Paws off you feisty little fiend!"

The drunken mare blinked a bit before smirking at Twinkleshine, leaning in. "Aw what's wrong? Scared I'll steal him away from you? He's way out of your league girl!" She stuck her tongue out at her playfully. "Blegh!"

Twinkleshine blushed then roared. "W-What!? Are you crazy! That's not the case at all!"

The drunken mare's friend forced her along, "I'm sorry!" She let off a hushed growl towards her friend, muttering. "Come on you idiot! Let's go!" She nodded apologetically to Twinkleshine and Twilight. "I'm so sorry!"

As the drunken mare was dragged off, she sloppily called out to Twilight. "W-Wait! What's your naaaame!"

Twilight looked at her departure wide-eyed. "Wow. Now that was pretty interesting."

Twinkleshine was still flushed red, as she nudged Twilight along. "I can't believe she thought that!"

As they reached the fourth level, though still just as decorated, it was quite barren of ponies. Both Twinkleshine and Twilight looked on in surprise, before looking at one another and proceeding on. Down the central hall, there was an easy enough distinction where a primary entrance was located by a large grand door. Twilight muttered, "Ah, I guess this would be it." She pushed it open, blinking a bit before her eyes widened in awe.

Within the main banquet room, were dozens of tables lined with food. Yet since they were early, there likely wasn't even thirty-plus ponies within. It was a variety of freshly made main dishes, majority still untouched.

Twilight blinked a bit before snickering. "On second thought, IIIIII might by a tad bit hungry."

Twinkleshine smirked at Twilight in amusement, before the two proceeded inside. Twinkleshine frowned to herself guiltily, as she glanced around searchingly. Her eyes widened as in the distance she took notice of a pony, adorned in a gorgeous green and red dress with a bow. Though her face was hidden behind the mask, this pony was a very picture of grace and status. Her mane was bright yellow, glistening in the banquet room's light, while her emerald eyes stood out too. She was surrounded by ponies eager to get her attention, and still unphased by all their efforts. It was most definitely Applejack, here as she said she'd be. "H-Hey um, Twilight?"

Twilight glanced over at Twinkleshine, raising both brows. "Hm?"

Twinkleshine looked down to the floor nervously, chuckling a bit. "A-Ah, I'm actually gonna go grab the girls from the second floor real quick. Tell them to come up and grab a bite to eat too! I mean this food looks so great right?" She glanced around in supposed awe, "They've got no idea what they're missing out on!" She took a couple trots back. "So you stay here, grab a plate, and sit down somewhere! Plenty of seats and tables."

Twilight looked over at Twinkleshine, a bit surprised. "Oh, I can go grab them Twinkleshine."

Twinkleshine shook her head, "N-NO! You uh, stay here Twilight. I'll come back here with the girls."

Twilight squinted a bit at Twinkleshine, "Um... okay. If you really want to do it." She glanced around at the food, "I can't deny this food looks pretty amazing." She smirked to herself in anticipation, "I'd love to discuss with the chefs the variety of recipes here. Likely some ingredients overseas? I can pick up the slight aroma of Saddle Arabian spices, and even Dragonstone powder? How odd. I wonder who is in charge of-" she glanced back, and noticed Twinkleshine was gone. "The party... hm, looks like she skedaddled already. That was quick."

As Applejack was surrounded by a variety of mares and stallions, she sighed tiredly.

One of the stallions smirked down at her. "My beloved Applejack. Please, we must head downstairs to dance."

Another stallion chimed in, "As if she'd go with you. She is a woman of status, did you not forget?"

The prior stallion's nose wrinkled. "Oh how could I? It left me wondering how you could dare approach her."

A mare looked up at Applejack in adoration. "We haaave to connect sometime! I swear we're like sisters!"

Applejack looked at this mare with a warm smile, speaking delicately. "Is that so dear? How insightful."

The mare blushed and went into a giggle fit. "Yes yes yes! See! We are totally the same pony!"

Applejack looked down at her with a kind albeit tired smile. "Hmhm, you are certainly interesting." However as Applejack stood there, wine glass in hoof, she would casually glance around. Upon her second go around of glances, she took notice of the purple mare in a tuxedo in the distance. Her eyes widened exponentially, as she was caught in supposed awe. She stared at the mare a long while, who minded her own business overlooking the food. Applejack muttered, "S-She's here. Finally, she's here." She began trotting past the group. Twilight!

A stallion blocked her path then. "Ah, Madam Applejack! Where are you going? Leaving so soon?"

Applejack's brows furrowed as she looked at him with a glare. "Ah I must be going, please excuse me."

The stallion didn't budge as he looked down at her nervously. "But where are you going? I shall go too."

Another stallion came in again, "Do dismiss yourself. I'll accompany her; it's obvious she dislikes you."

Applejack huffed beneath her breath as her eyes closed halfway, stuck between all these ponies.

Meanwhile Twilight was overlooking some of the food with a small plate in hoof. She eyed one of the maids behind the counter, "Ah Ma'am, may I confirm what this dish is?" She smiled with intrigue, eyeing the food.

The maid behind the counter nodded. "That is the Jackfruit Stuffed Squash, Sir."

Twilight blinked at her a bit, "Oh it's-" she shrugged, "Ah nevermind." She rubbed her chin with further intrigue. "Jackfruit hm? I small dragonberries and garlic. Perhaps a pinch of curry powder from Northern Yakyakistan."

The maid raised both brows at her. "Oh yes. It is quite a flavorful combination. You should try some!"

Twilight looked to her and raised a hoof with interest. "Actually I was fairly curious in the history of the combination of flavors. You see the curry powder of Yakyakistan was considered near impossible to acquire even less than a decade ago, but due to the Conflict of the Yabul mountains we ended up opening-"

The maid was nodding as Twilight spoke, a sweatdrop slowly coursing down the side of her head. Though she eyed Twilight, she definitely wasn't hearing her. She only hoped she didn't notice that. "Y-Yes! Very fascinating!"

Twilight continued, "Blah blah. Blah blah blah blah! Blah blah! BLAH BLAH!" As interpreted by the maid.

Suddenly approaching Twilight with interest was another pony. "Ah, e-excuse me."

Twilight paused, glancing over at whoever now stood beside her.

Standing next to her was a pink pony with a darker pink mane, straight and smooth as silk. She was quite chunky, with full round cheeks, obviously packing on a few more pounds than the average mare. She wore a black dress and mask and had a plate full of nothing but sweets. She seemed wholly nervous, approaching Twilight. "I um, couldn't help but notice you were enthusiastic about the open trade of the Yabul Mountains."

Twilight looked to the mare with wide eyes. "Yes! Wait... pink pink pink, all around. Might you be-"

The mare placed a hoof against her chest, smiling warmly. "Y-Yes, I am Pinkamena Diane Pie. It's been so long since I've met anypony with an interest in those conflicts. I was heavily involved in their treaties." Her eyes were scared and nervous as she looked down at her plate of sweets, "Would you um? Maybe be interested in eating with me for a bit? Y-You don't have to, of course, not many ponies like to be seen with me. No pressure!"

Twilight looked at Pinkamena with curiosity. If I recall, isn't she a renowned arms dealer for the Princess? Twilight eyed her up and down, taking notice of her figure and demeanor. She seems quite.... sad. I remember hearing about her in my history classes. She's been quite a controversial figure. "Okay, I'll eat with you." Why me though?

Suddenly Pinkamena showed great excitement, despite her sad eyes. As if extremely shocked! "R-Really!?"

Twilight flinched, before nodding to her somewhat nervously but genuinely. "Yeah! Why not?"

In the background, Twilight noticed two mares eyeing them. They each eyed Pinkamena with disgust.

Twilight raised a brow at them, confused.

But as quick as they cast those disgusted glances, they moved on. One muttering, "Ugh... why'd she come?"

The other mare scoffed lightly, responding. "Yeah, she's absolutely disgusting. Both inside... and outside."

Pinkamena trembled as her eyes saddened exponentially and she lowered her head, tears swelling.

But almost immediately, Twilight placed two hooves on each side of her cheeks. "These cheeks are great."

Pinkamena raised her head and looked Twilight in the eyes. "Huh?"

Twilight tilted her head to the right and smirked a bit. "These cheeks! So plump! They're like pillows!"

Pinkamena giggled and laughed softly. "I've put in lots of work to get them that way!"

The two mares now eyed both Twilight and Pinkamena then with disgust, before officially leaving.

Twilight absently eyed them depart with a blank expression, with hooves still upon Pinkamena's cheeks.

One of the mare's leaving the banquet room just glared at Twilight then, muttering. "It's his funeral."

Twilight looked back at Pinkamena, ignoring them. "Want to go look for a seat?"

Pinkamena gave her hurried nods, just smiling widely in satisfaction. "Yes! I'd love that!"


As Twilight sat at one of the empty tables there with Pinkamena, she slowly cut into her jackfruit with telekinetic magic. "So um, may I ask how you got involved with the arms dealer business? T-That is what you do right?"

Pinkamena had nothing but sweets and cakes on her plate. "Yes, ah. I used to work on a rock farm with my family. It's all I ever knew how do to. I was really good at it." She began rotating her fork a bit in her cake, smiling. "Day after day, playing with rocks. I knew everything about them. How to carve them, break them down into a powder, and use it for other fancy things. There are so many different things one can find in caves and amongst rocks. You just have to know where to look. It's like making sweets." She giggled. "So many recipes."

Twilight took a bite out of her jackfruit. "I guess I can see how that would metaphorically make sense."

Pinkamena took a bite of her cake, before smiling warmly at Twilight, affectionately. "Mhm! M-Most ponies don't really like what I do. What about you? Do you mind what I do?" She looked down, eyes saddening a bit.

Twilight continued, looking down blankly. "I'd say I'm indifferent. I'm in no position in the world to weigh the necessity of your talents. But um," she smiled a bit with a shrug, "It's undoubtedly impressive. How can I deny the amount of skill that's required to utilize your learnings from a rock farm into becoming an arms dealer?"

Pinkamena looked at Twilight with wide eyes, blushing as she looked down at her cake, almost in shock.

Twilight took another bite of her food. "And here I am just trying to make it through school."

"Well then you should probably be at home studying, don't you think?" Another voice chimed in.

Twilight blinked a bit, glancing over her shoulder behind her. "O-Oh... ah,... Miss Applejack?"

Standing there, finally rid of the ponies pursuing her, was a masked Applejack. "Twilight Sparkle."

Twilight seemed a bit nervous and suspicious of her. So she's here too? That's surprising.

Pinkamena glanced over and up at Applejack passively. "Oh, it's the CEO of MACdonalds."

Twilight flinched, eyes going wide as she looked at Pinkamena then. "What?!"

Applejack scooted over beside Pinkamena, still with a glass of wine. "Guess the cat's out of the bag."

Twilight blinked a bit, staring at them now as they sat in front of her. Wait, t-the CEO of MACdonalds? And a renowned Arms Dealer? Both sitting right in front of me. I... I guess it's plausible right? Right!? I mean... not too crazy.

Pinkamena glanced over at Applejack. "Might this be business-related Ma'am?"

Applejack glanced over at Pinkamena, playfully. "And why would I be dealing business with you, Diane?"

Pinkamena shrugged, before looking down at her cake. "So I guess you're here for my new friend too?"

Applejack smiled, closing her eyes and sipping her wine. "I'm pretty certain I met her first."

Twilight sat nervously her seat, just staring at the two blankly as some tension hung in the air. W-What....

Pinkamena glared over at Applejack. Her face darkened as her expression turned sinister.

Applejack just remained calm, before smiling warmly at Twilight. "It's so nice to have you here, Twilight."

Twilight glanced to her right, noticing dozens of high-class ponies mumbling and staring at them. She looked back to the two in front of her, Applejack... a model beauty, staring right at her casually with a glass of wine. Pinkamena, a renowned Arms Dealer of the Princess also right beside her. Twilight gulped. What is going on?