• Published 15th Mar 2019
  • 8,723 Views, 98 Comments

You Can't Extinguish the Sun! - Twilight Glimmer



The day that Celestia realized her subjects weren't as smart as she thought they were.

  • ...
17
 98
 8,723

Epilogue

“So, Twilight, how did you get from your castle to my courtroom so quickly?”

“Has nopony ever thought of teleporting small distances multiple times to cover a large distance?”

...

Or, you could have just flown.”

...

“Welp, the more you know. See you tomorrow for tea.”

With that, Twilight flew off.

Author's Note:

This chapter was inspired by Kencolt. :twilightsmile:

Comments ( 21 )

9511990
Not really. The corollary relationships are actually pretty similar. Stay out in the sun and your skin turns red and hot like when it's next to a fire for too long. Stay near foul smells and you get sick and produce foul smells. Miasma was actually mostly right, and the plague doctor masks operate on the same fundamental principles of gas masks and surgical masks in that it tries to filter out an airborne contagion. They were just physically incapable of observing microorganisms.

9511990
9512077
9512125
Yeah, that's something you have to remember about people in the Middle Ages: they weren't stupid, they just lacked the ability to utilize the scientific method, because how can you win there's no infrastructure? They noticed that certain things, like drinking or even being near foul-smelling water, ended up making you sick, so they tried to get away from the foul smelling water.

Sun burning is an easy enough connection to make that most cultures knew about it. It's the reason why even the earliest civilizations near the equator, such as the Egyptians, Aztecs, and Persians, would wear so much clothing: they knew that exposure was bad for them. They might have even understood that wearing a thin layer of clothing in the desert will actually keep you cooler because it keeps the sun off your skin and the sweat on it.

I learned that horses could get sunburned when I was a stable hand, because one of them got sunburned.

Lemme guess, the energy required to teleport increase by the square (or maybe the cube or tesseract?) of the distance?

9510932

"Omae wa mou shindeiru... Futatabi."

9512769
Hyper cast off! Clock up!

Time vent!

Stopaga! Hastaga!

Quick!
(not suprised if nobody recognizes that one.XP)

Time skip!

Star Platinumn Za Worldo

9513140
I bow to your comedic mindset.

Of course you can extinguish the Sun!

All it takes is a tiny little bit of trilithium! Launched from a chemical-propellant rocket. Which reaches the Sun in 5 seconds. And then manages to breach all the way to the core instantly without vaporizing. And then the roughly 1 kilo of the stuff is able to completely and instantaneously shut down a gazillion tons worth of fusing hydrogen.
...

Goddammit, "Star Trek: Generations" was stupid...

Almost as idiotic and inconsistent as that 'Red Matter' garbage from the new Trek movie.

:twistnerd:

Considering her flight record, Twilight should stick to teleportation.

9513153
ZA WARUDO TOKI O TOMAWRYYYY

9516193
Well, I can’t please everyone. The only reason I didn’t delete that scene all together is because it would probably put me below 1,000 words, and also because it sets up the plot. All it was supposed to be was a reason for Celestia to be in a good mood. That’s it.

9516307
Yeah, you can't please everyone. It's your story and your call.

But could you preserve the old version somewhere? And then put a link to it in the author's note, or something? I'd hate for it to be lost forever!

“So, Twilight, how did you get from your castle to my courtroom so quickly?”

“Has nopony ever thought of teleporting small distances multiple times to cover a large distance?”

I would call that "skitter-jaunting"

See, it's my headcanon that unless a pony KNOWS that the area they are jaunting to is going to be empty, most unicorns will only jaunt to somewhere they can see, mostly to minimize teleportation accidents. Since line-of sight is a fairly far distance, skitter-jaunting is a REALLY good way to get somewhere fast.

9549203
Oh, that’s a very clever answer :trollestia:

That was a nice little comedy one-shot. I loved it. :twilightsmile:

I feel like an idiot. I didn't get the joke until I remembered the oc's name lol.

You know. This level of stupid should be illegal. Across the multiverse itself. I love it anyway.

I never intended for this to be a series... :twilightsmile:

9742861
Nothing ever goes how we planned, its a simple fact of life

Login or register to comment