• Published 5th Jan 2018
  • 2,016 Views, 24 Comments

The Reunion - Bronyxy



Years have passed since Twilight Sparkle accidentally took the Mane Six to a parallel gender-swapped world and the friends all believe it’s high time they met up again. But when they do, something goes horribly wrong and Rainbow and Blitz go missing.

  • ...
3
 24
 2,016

8 Night Guard to Arms

The Bat Ponies thundered over the nocturnal landscape completely in their element, able to see with ease the features flashing by underneath them as they raced towards the location identified by Celestia. Aside from a few skirmishes typically handled by the Royal Guard, they hadn’t had much opportunity for proper combat against a massed army and were looking forward to a good fight to bolster their esprit de corps. They also allowed themselves a feeling of confident self-satisfaction in that they had a secret weapon specially to take on the hydras and were aching to test it in anger.

The idea had come from a chance comment by a Captain of the Guard who upon learning that their enemy was to be an army of hydra suggested using long ropes. Slightly surprised, his General had asked him to elaborate further.
“It’s easy Sir” he said, “One Bat Pony at each end – they fly round the hydra’s heads – draw the rope tight and they can’t get you.”
“That’s a promotion for you, my boy!” chortled the General “That’s brilliant, well done!”

As the aerial armada neared its destination, two lightly armed reconnaissance ponies picked up the pace and flew off ahead. Sure enough, right where they had been expected was a herd of hydras doing a passable imitation of a migration or even an exodus. The number of necks swaying around was a frightening sight and the ponies knew that each neck had a head on the end; a head that would like nothing more than to enjoy a meal of fresh pony to sate its appetite given half a chance. Consequently, each reconnaissance flyer kept a respectful distance as they flew a wide circle around them and made an assessment of how many monsters the necks were attached to.

“I make it 200, you?”
“More like 300. Let’s split the difference – 250?”
“Agreed.”

The reconnaissance flyers rejoined their more heavily armed counterparts and briefed the Captains leading the different wings. Plans had already been made according to the strength of the enemy, so now each recalled their role for this size of hostile force and formed up with pairs of rope bearers at the front followed by those carrying swords and other weapons behind to finish the job.

Three wings of Night Guard dived from different bearings onto their targets who had seen the approach and waved their necks like fronds in an ocean current, weaving and bobbing their heads to get a bite at their attackers.

A pair of Bat Ponies raced ahead, eager to claim the honour of the first attack, each checking to confirm a strong hold on their end of the rope, each knowing that if either they or their partner lost their grip before the monster’s necks were tied together, then they could both end up as a tasty snack.

Following behind them were two more Bat Ponies, each armed with gleaming swords, the moonlight glinting sharply off the finely polished steel being brandished by the skilled swordsponies.

The closer they got, the more intimidating became the waving necks, some tensing to strike while others lunged prematurely, thrusting their ugly heads forward, eager jaws snapping in a display that would have made lesser ponies cower.

The Bat Ponies focused intently, every ounce of their concentration maintaining their situational awareness and focusing on their specific roles, the rope bearers tensing for the shock they knew they were bound to feel any second and the armed ponies behind already evaluating their primary and secondary aim points.

The Captains of each wing, from their strategic viewpoints could see wave after wave of fearless Night Guard thrusting undaunted in past the deadly heads to perform their dangerous tasks, and each felt a surge of pride in the courage and determination being displayed by everypony right across their attacking force.

The first two arrived at their target with their rope held wide and split to fly clockwise and counter-clockwise paths respectively, ducking to avoid the odd lunge of a fearsome looking head and then entering a violent turn as the rope made contact and they each span sharply round, determined not to let go.

Once each judged that they had made two complete circuits, they pulled the rope tight and the four hydra necks snapped together as one, some of the heads displaying surprise, while others were still intently focused on their first pony meal. With four heads each doing their own thing at the same time, they all ended up effectively frozen in space just long enough for the two swordsponies to flash in and slash at their adversary with a few well-placed swipes of their blades.

The aggressive leviathan lurched backwards and forwards, and then overbalanced, falling over sideways and striking the ground hard, its necks flailing powerlessly.

The plan was a success!

The Captains watched while the might of the Night Guard was unleashed as a synchronised machine, the same image of lassoed monsters falling to the ground being repeated time after time. A few ropes slipped through the hooves of those carrying them, where either an attack had been misjudged or the hydra simply pulled all its necks violently in different directions as they were being bound, but with each failed attack, another wave followed close behind.

There was no doubting the success of the tactics and in less than an hour, the sea of weaving necks and hungry mouths had been reduced to a few isolated individuals, outnumbered by their fallen colleagues who were either not moving or making their last few lunges into empty space. In the end, it had been less of a battle and more of a one-sided rout; the once feared pony-eaters thrown into abject disarray as the long necks that had once given their ferocious heads such a feared long reach were now seen to have become the harbinger of their very downfall.

Eager for more action, the Bat Ponies all rounded on the last few monsters until the operation was complete and no more were left standing. Even then, the victorious Night Guard continued to maintain their professionalism, and circled overhead in case any of the fallen hydra had any energy remaining and was brave or stupid enough to raise its ugly heads for another fight, but it was soon clear that there was to be no more resistance.

The battle won, they all landed on a nearby promontory so that their Captains could check for losses and allow some recuperation after the long flight and celebration following their combat. Following roll-call, the Captains confirmed that aside from plentiful rope burns among the rope bearers, none had suffered more than minor injuries. With no losses to dampen proceedings, the joyful Bat Ponies soon broke out into full blooded renditions of their traditional victory songs, some even in tune.

It was in high spirits then that the Night Guard mustered to fly back to Canterlot as the sky began to brighten in the east and by the time they had reached the capital the first early risers were already about their business. At a command from the Captain of the lead wing, all closed up into tight formation and made a slow flypast over the city, then came back for another pass with the two reconnaissance flyers peeling off to perform synchronised victory rolls over the top. Ponies below had no idea what this was about but cheered enthusiastically at the display.

Meanwhile from the castle ramparts two ponies were watching who knew all too well what it was about and smiled with pride at the undisputed success the Night Guard had won for them. Hundreds of pony lives could have been lost if the hydra invasion had gone unchecked, but thanks to a chance discovery by two brave display flyers, disaster had been averted.

The Bat Ponies landed back in the castle courtyard as the Royal Guard were only just becoming aware of what had happened and many good natured comments were batted back and forth between the two groups. While this was going on, the Captains reported back to their senior officers and the Royal Sisters to announce their victory.

Celestia and Luna who by now had gone a very long time without sleep, came out to greet the returning forces who were still engaged in friendly banter below them.

“Brave members of our most respected Night Guard!” began Luna, using the full benefit of her Royal Canterlot Voice “You have secured a victory against a sneak attack by the hydra and we salute your courage. Had you been unsuccessful, villages and towns in their path would have been overrun and many ponies lost. But thanks to you, Equestria is safe once more!”
There were loud cheers from everypony present and both Princesses gave royal waves to the guards before returning.

“Luna, you must to bed. Thank you for all that you have done.”
“Thank you too Sister. Without you playing your part, this could not have happened.”
They shared a tender sisterly nuzzle before Luna gratefully departed for her bed chamber.

***

Later that evening, a fully refreshed Princess Luna came to meet with her sister as was customary to discuss the day’s events. Once the formalities had been handled, Celestia concluded with a few words that made Luna raise her eyebrows in quiet surprise. Then she arose and instead of going to her bed chamber, headed for the throne room with her sister.

Celestia entered the throne room and Luna gave the order that she was not to be disturbed, even though by rights the seat of power was her domain during the realm of the night. If the guards felt anything unusual about the request they displayed no emotion and went about their duty as true professionals.

Finally alone, Celestia strode over to the mirror and placed her horn to it once more. After the wavering image had settled she saw Prince Solaris looking back at her, loving smile in place but obviously equally tired. Neither said anything, but they kissed with more passion than anypony had ever seen them do, and then he stood back to allow the white mare through into his realm.

After another kiss, he led her down a corridor cleared of guards and any other casual observers by Artemis only a minute beforehand and held the door of his bedchamber open for her, shutting it behind them once they were both inside. A sign saying ‘DO NOT DISTURB’ swayed briefly on the handle with the leftover momentum and came to rest at a slightly crooked angle. It was time for a grateful Princess to treat her courageous Prince with a massage for his aching wings, and maybe some cake afterwards.

Comments ( 11 )

A fan-sequel of "On a Cross and Arrow"? Interesting

8651344
This isn't an official sequel to Conner Cogwork's masterpiece; that privilege belongs to his "On a Whisper of Wind".
However, C&A is so good that it inspired me to writing this short story using the excellent characters he created.

8651365
Oh right, there is actually an 'official' sequel. It's been so long since it last updated I almost forgot about it.

8651374
Conner's writing is brilliant, but sadly as you say he hasn't developed it since 2015 which is a real shame.
Like you, I really look forward to his completing it.

Might want to put a link to the original story in your description, so people can read it if they haven't yet.

8651559
Thank you - a good observation. I have put a link on the front page as you suggest.

8727663
No prob, your story's doin great. 😁

9973868
You're very welcome, it's one of my very favorite stories as I really enjoy the story plot and the Maine 6 interacting with their male counterparts. It's very hard to choose which one I like as they're all very good, especially Pinkie Pie and Bubble Berry spreading chaos and insanity wherever they went. :rainbowlaugh:

9974271
You've got good taste!
I like the way Conner has accentuated the characteristics of the Mane 6 in developing their male counterparts, and while they're all brilliant, I guess I like the interplay between Rarity and Elusive the best!

:raritywink:

9975378
Thanks, oh yes the interplay between Rarity and Elusive is very well done especially when they say their blessings to Solaris and Celestia. lol

Darn good job on the exchanges, characterizations, action and wrap-up in all the right places.

I particularly liked the teamwork that went into taking down the hydras. And, yeah, one has to wonder how hard it's going to be for Twilight and Dusk to arrange future meetings once they are the main rulers of their respective Equestrias.

Well done on this story all around.

Login or register to comment