• Published 27th Dec 2017
  • 1,497 Views, 9 Comments

Those Pesky Old Feelings - KalenNighteyes



Rarity has been coping well with the fact that Rainbow Dash and Applejack had started dating. However, nearly nine months after the fact, her feelings are starting to get the better of her. Fluttershy tries to help her resolve those feelings.

  • ...
1
 9
 1,497

But Thinking Of You...

Fluttershy PoV

Not long after I finished at Rarity's, I found myself over at Sunset Shimmer's place. I sat in her loft with my legs pulled up to my chest and my face buried in my knees. I was trying to keep from crying more. I was so tired of crying over my inability to tell Rarity how I felt about her. It infuriated me beyond words. No matter what I did, I ended up chickening out every time.

After a moment of more wallowing in self pity, I felt the cushion next to me depress followed by the clink of a glass being set down on the coffee table in found of the couch. Then came a gentle hand placed on my shoulder.

“I brought you some tea… I hoped that might make you feel a little better,” Sunset said.

I glanced up at her through my mass of hair, then looked at the tea on the table and shook my head. “No thanks. I don't think there's anything that can help me feel better about being a big old coward.”

Sunset squeezed my shoulder. “You aren't a coward, Fluttershy. Confessing how you feel about someone isn't an easy thing to do for anyone.”

“Apparently not for Dashie and Applejack. I mean, look at them. One day they aren't together and the next they are,” I said, lifting my head a bit more.

Sunset pushed some of my hair away from my face as she looked at me. “Yeah, but they're AJ and Dash. Who knows how they got together.”

“Then there's you and Princess Twilight. The two of you managed to get together all right.”

Sunset chuckled. “That's putting it positively. The two of us getting together was rough. I was basically comforting her after her heartbreak over the Rainbow Dash in Equestria. Not to mention that Twilight and I have been taking it absurdly slow. And for the last year it's been almost nothing but writing back and forth in the journal.”

I lowered my feet to the floor and glanced back over to the tea. “Right… I knew that. I'm sorry, Sunset. I just wish I knew what I should do.”

“Why don't you start from the beginning. You haven't even told me why you were in tears in the first place.”

I twisted some of my hair around my finger as I continued to avoid Sunset's gaze. “I-I almost told her my feelings tonight.”

“Only almost?” Sunset said, sounding disheartened.

When I heard her tone, my hair fell to hide my face from her. I could feel the tears burning my eyes again. No, Fluttershy. No more crying about this. You're not allowed anymore.

“Well, she was measuring me for my dress and I could feel her hands on my hips, then she moved my hair back from my face. It made my heart beat ever so quickly,” I said, smiling at the thought and absentmindedly pushing my hair back now. “I could feel the urge to just blurt out my feelings for her building up inside me, I managed to get her attention, but when it was fully on me and she looked at me with those eyes of hers… I just could bring myself to say the words.”

Sunset rubbed at my back gently. “I'm sorry, Shy. Maybe it wasn't the best idea for me to push you into going with her to Carousel Boutique.”

I finally looked at her and shook my head. “Oh, you shouldn't apologize. You didn't do anything wrong. Besides, you can't push someone into doing something they wanted to do in the first place.”

“I know, but still. You tell Rarity when you're ready. I won't…” Sunset trailed off.

I looked at her in confusion for a moment. “Sunset? You won't what?”

“Hmm? Oh, sorry. I just had a thought. Why don't you stay here tonight. Princess Twilight will be coming over tomorrow. Maybe she can help you out. Maybe even give you a little insight into what Rarity might be feeling and what you can do to help her.”

My eyes widened. “Oh, no. I couldn't possibly intrude on your time with Twilight. You only get time on the weekends with her.”

“Oh please. I can share Twilight with you for a day. I haven't even decided on what we're going to do. I have all this time with her now and we're blowing through the usual stuff couples do. It will give me time to come up with something,” she said.

I still didn't feel right intruding, but if Princess Twilight could offer help who was I to decline? I let out a sigh of resignation and reached for the tea. “All right, Sunset. If you insist,” I said, taking a sip.

Sunset smiled. “Great! I'll take the couch and you can have the bed. No protesting. I wouldn't make my worst enemy sleep on that leather couch.”


The next day Twilight showed up just as Sunset had said she would. It was nice to see her and it made me happy to see just how the two of them enjoyed seeing one another. Rather than impose myself immediately, I waited patiently and let them come to me. After all, Twilight was here to see Sunset, not me.

Much to my dismay, it wasn't long after Twilight arrived that she and Sunset approached and sat next to me on the couch. I felt nervousness building in me, but I fought the urge to shrink down and hide behind my hair.

“Um… Hi girls,” I said meekly.

“Fluttershy, Sunset told me what's going on. Are you all right? I know it's a dumb question to ask, but I want to know,” Twilight asked.

I shook my head. “Oh, it's not a dumb question at all, Twilight. I'm, um, coping? I guess that's the best way I can describe it.”

I saw Twilight give a glance to Sunset, who gave a nod.

“Look… I am all for you and Rarity getting together. I think you would make an adorable couple. I just think you should be careful. She's in a vulnerable place right now even if she can't admit it. I've been in her place,” Twilight said, once again glancing at Sunset for a moment then looking back to me. “I almost ruined my chance at being with Sunset because I let my feelings for Rainbow Dash overwrite the ones I had started feeling for Sunset.”

My brow furrowed as I looked between the two of them. “I don't know if I understand where you're going with this.”

“Well, before I could let my feelings for Sunset truly come out, I needed closure. That closure came in the form of Rainbow Dash coming here from Equestria to show me just how much Sunset actually cared for me. So, what I think you should do is get Rarity some closure from Applejack-”

“Twilight I'm not-” Sunset started.

Twilight put her hand up to Sunset. “Hang on. I'm not done yet.” She looked back at me. “Or, since you can't say how you feel about her, you need to show Rarity just how much you care for her.”

“You really think that will work? Doing some big gesture that shows how much I care about her? I don't know Twilight…” I said, playing nervously with a strand of my hair.

“Fluttershy, if you do not get your feelings out they'll just eat at you forever. What if one day you finally get the courage to tell her how you feel and then find out she already got with someone?” Twilight asked.

My heart lurched and I felt the tears burning hot at my eyes. “I-I would be devastated.”

I felt Sunset place her hand gently on my shoulder. “I'm not sure I agree with how blunt Twilight was just now, but I see her point. I don't know how you'd even pick up the pieces of yourself after that. Then again… I don't think you're that weak. I think you're pretty strong. You might surprise us.”

“What do you think, Fluttershy?” asked Twilight.

“I think… I think you're right,” I said, wiping my eyes of unfallen tears. “I need to show her that I care for her. Will you both help me come up with something to do? I still think the Valentines dance would be the best time for it.”

“Of course we will. We can't leave our friend high and dry can we?” Sunset said with a smirk.

Twilight grasped my hand and smiled. “I wouldn't dream of leaving you to think of something on your own. I think, together, we can come up with something really great for you to do.”

The hope that filled me up in that moment was the most I'd felt in days. It was a warm and wonderful feeling compared to the sadness I'd felt just a few moments before. I just knew that I'd be with Rarity and that we'd both be happy again. After all, that's all I wanted for Rarity. Happiness.

Author's Note:

In this chapter were references to my story called Epiphany. You don't have to go back and read it to continue with this story as this story stands on its own, but is within that continuity. I have enjoyed building up this little universe I have going.

Another thanks to Allykitty for making sure I keep things working correctly pre-reading. Such a big help!

Comments ( 2 )

Who's cryiing!!?? I'm not crying!? You are!:fluttercry:

Miscalculation. I figured it would be ok to start a new series with so many of my others taking so long to update. Figured this was far enough along to not be left wanting more. I was wrong, need more now.

Login or register to comment