• Published 18th Jul 2012
  • 4,920 Views, 158 Comments

Race the Wind - Skyblitz



Soarin' has kept his feelings for Spitfire secret a long time. But when a new stallion comes to school, things literally spiral out of control.

  • ...
11
 158
 4,920

Epilogue: Memories yet to be made...

Epilogue: Memories yet to be made...


"Two hearts, two souls, who light the sky. Of ones who were born to love and fly...


Three Years Later

"Ahhh, Goddess-dammit... Buck... Spitty! I need help!" called Soarin'. His marefriend came trotting into the changing room, a resigned smile on her face. She giggled and shook her head slightly as she watched Soarin' try and fit his wing through the holes on the flightsuit. One thing she would say about the uniforms: they were incredibly tight, and quite frankly didn't leave much to the imagination.

"Oh Soar, you featherbrain. Come here, let me see if I can -". She grabbed the fold of lycra-like material and tugged it as hard as she could around Soarin's large feathered limb. The wing finally popped through, albeit with Soarin' cursing all the way through the process.

"Ahh, thanks Spitty. Ya know, we should really do something about the uniforms, they're way too tight" he said ponderously as he struggled to stretch the hood over his face. On the other side of the room, Rapidfire was having trouble doing up his zipper, despite the help that Fleetfoot was giving him. The other team members strutted around in various places around the room. Lightning Streak was chatting with his brother, Fire Streak. And Surprise was talking intently with Tempest Wind.

The older stallion now had streaks of grey lining his dark blue mane, and faint bags could be seen beneath his eyes. The Wonderbolt captain was getting old, Spitfire knew. And she honestly doubted how much longer he could keep up with his younger, fitter teammates. Last training session, he was the slowest of the entire flight team, but nopony would dare say so to his face. But Spitfire could tell that the captain knew about his deteriorating condition. She would sometimes catch glimpses of him preening his feathers with a forlorn expression, and sometimes he could stop what he was doing in order to stretch his legs and joints.

Spitfire doubted it would be a great length of time before the older stallion would retire from his flying days. It was a great shame, Tempest had been their friend and mentor for three years, ever since that amazing day when she, Soar, Rapid and Fleetfoot were all accepted into the Wonderbolts.

"Okay everypony, show starts in two minutes!" came the excited voice of another team member, Gusty. The yellow maned mare cantered into the changing rooms, flightsuit already on perfectly. Gusty was a relatively new member of the team, only joining roughly six months ago. In that time she had already proven herself a dedicated and skilled aerobat, as well as an exceptional athlete. In a strange way, Gusty reminded Spitfire of herself when she was younger.

The constant hum of the crowd above them sent shivers done Spitfire's spine. She had performed in dozens and dozens of shows and performances before, but the orange maned mare always got a nervous feeling just before going out. Tempest had told her that that was a good sign. It showed her that she wasn't egotistical on her abilities, and nerves can help a pegasus pull off some of the greatest displays of aerobatics in all of Equestria. But there was something very special about this particular show - or rather, its location.

For the first time since they joined the ‘Bolts, Spitfire, Soarin', Rapidfire and Fleetfoot had returned back to their old Flight Academy's stadium.

The buzzing crowd above them were young fillies and colts, eager and ready to see the greatest flyers in Equestria perform for them.

"Hey", said Soarin' cheerily, "no need to be so shaky". He wrapped a pale blue feathered wing around Spitfire's withers comfortingly. Spitfire always loved it when he did that. It made her feel safe. She turned her amber eyes to lock with Soarin's own orbs of stunning jaded green. Soarin' often told her how dazzling her own eyes looked, but until now she never really saw just how loving his were. She managed a small smile.

"I know, I know, its just that... It’s been three years since we were last here. I can't believe its been that long Soar. I don't wanna let everypony down when we perform in our old training grounds again. This place is kinda special to me. Its the place where we managed to prove ourselves as potential Wonderbolts!"

Soarin' nodded. He understood. With a small chuckle, the pale blue stallion nuzzled her neck warmly, causing Spitfire to giggle like a filly.

"Thirty seconds everypony!" yelled Gusty excitedly.

As Soarin' turned to follow a laughing Rapidfire and Fleetfoot out of the changing room doors, Spitfire grabbed his shoulder with a forehoof. As he turned round, she gave him the most passionate, loving, warm kiss she could muster at this point. As she pulled away, Soarin' simply smiled at her.

"C'mon Spitty, lets go get 'em!"

The End

Comments ( 31 )

Warning: High amounts of D'aww in this chapter.

P.s. have a moustache :moustache:
p.s.s have another:moustache:

D'aww. Cute end to a very nice story. :scootangel:
Best Soarin'/Spitfire fic I've found... Gives me ideas :pinkiehappy:

"Ahh, thanks Spitty. Ya know, we should really do something about the uniforms, they're to buckin' tight" - too

What a great ending to a great story. :rainbowdetermined2:

Lot of typos, its ok though, better then what i would have done. Great story. Final thoughts: you like the word Buck.:twilightsmile:

the end...badum tss

Nice to see ive made a character that you all wish to be broken and diced into tiny bits before being blasted away in the most painful way possible :twilightsheepish:
ot makes me proud as a writer to know you hate a fictional character to the point of torture :pinkiecrazy:

Awesome end to an awesome story!

1216592
admittedly dialogue isnt my strong point, but glad you enjoy the story :pinkiehappy:

Great story! You ought to look at joining Hasbro as a writer.

Amazing story!

1233248 That is, if the actual show dealt with themes like strip clubs, attempted rape, and having sex under the night sky.

You know, you'd think that after reading through the whole story thrice and trying to pick out all the errors in it, I would have grown tired of it. But it's still gold :pinkiesad2:

>>Reasonandrhyme If the elements used to tell the story truly mattered then there would be no variation in Literature whatsoever. But your point is taken.:eeyup:

but...it can't end...NO! so awesome, can't END!!:flutterrage::raritydespair::raritycry::facehoof::twilightoops:

WILDFIRE IN LIFE IS A STORY I WROTE BUT IT'S SERIOUSLY BAD IN MY OPINION BUT WHATEVER READ IT ANYWAY
wait...why do i always have caps lock?!

1292732
not here in the UK :trollestia: its spelt right :twilightsmile:

love it tell me when you have finished hurricane force winds that is so AWESOME! BUCK YEA! :yay:

I greatly enjoyed this story, congrats!
One thing, the structure isn't great, walls of text etc.
Otherwise, good job! :twilightsmile:

SWEET CELESTIA USEPARAGRAPHS

1360632
someone you checks your work for mistakes...? :derpytongue2:

AWWWWWE Such a sweet story, glad they had a happy ending. Keep at it. :ajsmug:

Let me just say that when I first started reading this, I became so drawn to how you portray Soarin'. The story itself had so much emotion that intertwined my own to the point I didn't want to continue reading. And yet I persevered to the last chapter where I stood up from my seat and shouted: YEEEAAHHHH!!! FUCK YOU, HURRICANE!!!! FUCKING YES!!!
And so I thank you for this story and how it had entertained me so. :twilightsmile:

This was amazing! I almost cried at several points. I love this and the sequel! I saw the sequel first though...

Wait there was no Misty Fly? Not even mentioned in this fic? I'm really sad now. Misty Fly is one of the most underrated Wonderbolts ever. She's had more appearances then Fleetfoot has and yet Fleetfoot is more popular than her. Geez, I feel bad for her. But nice ending, very sweet. I'm still a little bummed that Misty wasn't even mentioned but I digress. Great story, arguably one of the best SoarinFire stories on FimFiction! I give you a 3.9 out of 5!!

I have to hope the next story has better pacing...

1117742
Ever heard of/read Wild Sky Yonder?

Yes, I've found it! This was one of the first MLP fanfics I had ever had the pleasure of experiencing. I've come a long way in the... geez...nearly four years since I read this story. I'm hoping this is as good as I remember. ^^

A fun read in 2021.
Certainly not a perfect story but it’s been a pleasure to return and reread it.

Login or register to comment