• Published 18th Jul 2012
  • 4,920 Views, 158 Comments

Race the Wind - Skyblitz



Soarin' has kept his feelings for Spitfire secret a long time. But when a new stallion comes to school, things literally spiral out of control.

  • ...
11
 158
 4,920

Chapter 5: Inferno

Chapter 5: Inferno


"Now I know where dreams lead..."


Soarin' continued to fly. He had no idea where he was actually going, but the sensation of wind beneath his wings always brought him comfort. This was a time when comfort would most certainly be needed. Spitfire...his best friend since foalhood, the most reliable pony he knew...his secret love... He had to be mistaken somehow. Surely he was imagining it, surely that wasn't Hurricane in the seat with her...

But he knew in his heart that what he had seen wasn't a figment of his imagination. Spitty had been there... With him.

"Dammit...why...?" he moaned out loud to himself. He felt a fresh wave of tears creeping through his body, but he refused to let them fall.

Blinking them back, he followed the glorious glowing white orb of Luna's moon. He didn't know why, but the soft silvery glow brought him a sort of serenity that only the wondrous night sky can offer. However, all of Soarin's thoughts stopped, as did he, when he heard a familiar voice echo from behind him.

"Soarin'! J-just wait a sec..." Spitfire yelled tearfully.

Her golden wings beat faster as she saw the flying form of her friend stop. Soarin' hovered there, silhouetted beautifully against the moon, his expansive wings making him look angelic. Spitfire raced towards him, desperate to try and explain. Maybe he would listen...

Her heart dropped when she saw Soarin' dive away from her.

"NO! No, Soarin' please! Just wait... I-I can ex-explain..." she didn't know if he heard her, and if he did he continued to fly away.

The yellow mare veered towards him, folding in her wings and diving like a falcon. But it seemed that no matter how hard she tried, her plea blue friend always seemed to fall further and further away. Desperate, Spitfire spread her wings and beat them hard in mid dive, briefly stopping herself before accelerating towards Soarin' with increased zeal. Her wings beat harder, her flapping become more intense with every stroke.

"C'mon Soar... Just slow down, please..." she muttered under her breath.

Soarin' diverted all of his strength into his wings, causing them to become solid blurs. He didn't care that Spitfire was behind him, he just needed some time alone. He didn't have the heart or the patience the hear the excuses of his best friend. How could she? How bucking could she? His sorrow and shock slowly boiled away into anger and frustration. He squinted his emerald eyes hard, and still picked up the pace. His storm blue mane whipped behind him, yet somehow it never lost its distinctive spikes. His forehooves were stretched out in front of him, his breath coming out in ragged gasps as he began to sweat. Why wouldn't she just leave him alone?

Yet through all of his pain and anger, a tiny little voice in the recesses of his mind kept nagging at him to stop and listen to her. Maybe there was a true explanation. Maybe he had overreacted... There was always a chance it would turn out to be a misunderstanding...

But Soarin' stubbornly pushed the voice away... And continued to fly faster. It was then that the blue pegasus started to feel the tingling sensation near his flank...

"Dammit Soar, just wait!" Spitfire called, her voice thick and cracked from the sobs she had made along the way. Her wings began to push even harder. She hadn't flown this fast in her life, only against Hurricane did she even come close to reaching the same spee- Her flank suddenly ignited in an incandescent burst of orange flames.

"W-what the hay?! Not again..." Spitfire's wings faltered again, slowly her down dramatically.

Panicking, the yellow mare spun round in a frantic flailing of limbs and feathers. It so only then that she noticed that the flames did not burn her... Spitfire looked at her blazing flank and gasped. Her cutie mark- a flaming lightning bolt - glowed fiercely with a mesmerising golden light. It was then that all of Spitfire's memories around her cutie mark came flooding back in a heartbeat. She had been a little filly, in her first year at the Junior Speedsters Academy.

She and Soarin' were in a flying lesson - their first race...

The little yellow filly had blasted ahead of everypony else, all except for Soarin'. They had flown neck and neck for over two thirds of the race until Spitfire had just managed to pull in front by a bare few inches. That’s when it happened. A fiery boom had exploded across the race track, vaporising the clouds that marked the race lanes. Spitfire remembered the indescribable feeling of receiving her cutie mark...

That fiery boom... it was caused by her speed. She quickly stabilised herself. How could she have forgotten? It was the most memorable time in a young pony's life, how in Celestia's name had she forgotten? But something else pushed its way into her mind as well: Soarin' earned his cutie mark the same day, at the same time. Spitfire looked up at the receding form of her friend and gasped.

Soarin' turned behind him. The tingling sensation on his flank was reaching the point of genuine annoyance. The pale blue stallion actually shrieked in terror and flipped out of his flight pattern gracelessly. Lightning rippled off his haunches, interwoven with dark angry storm clouds, leaving a trail of thundering and flashing miniature storms in his wake. Soarin's winged lightning bolt cutie mark looked as if it was on fire.

"W-what the... Whoa... Whoa, AHH Celestia help me!" The powder blue pegasus impacted the cloud with a loud poof. Damn his panicking... Soarin' spat out a mouthful of cloud as he lay eagle spread on the white fluffy pad. His wings ached terribly, and his cutie mark still tingled.

"What the hay..." he whispered in awe.

"Its your special talent..." came a sweetly feminine voice from above him.

His green eyes met those of burned gold. Spitfire landed next to him softly, her own cutie mark smoking- literally. Soarin' stared blankly at her for a second before turning away in anger.

"Soar, listen to me," she put a forehoof on his shoulder, "it’s not what you think, not at all". Soarin' shook off her hoof and turned to face her with pained eyes.

"Oh, it isn't is it? Well do explain Spitty, I'm dyin' to hear this. Go on..." he stated, his emotions all too clear in his voice. Spitfire took a breath before speaking.

"A-after I left you that yesterday at the hospital wing, I went out to go find Hurricane. I told him exactly what I thought of him after he did, well, after he nearly killed you. He just continued to be an ass. So... I challenged him to a race at the Spectrum Causeway."

"Why?"

"Cuz I wanted to prove to him that he wasn't so high and mighty, that he could be beaten by just a regular somepony like you or me. I told him that if I won, he would apologise to you, properly, and admit to the rest of the Academy what a bucker he was" Soarin' tried to open his mouth to speak before Spitfire silenced him with a hoof to the mouth.

"When he arrived, he came with Storm Rider and two other colts I didn't know. But...he then said about what he would get in the deal, if he won. So...he suggested that, if he won, I'd...b-be...his marefriend"

"You what?" Soarin' blurted, "y-you actually agreed to that? Like, what the hell Spitfire..?"

"He threatened to rape me" she interrupted suddenly.

Soarin's mouth froze. His angry eyes gradually dimmed, slowly giving of an aura of rage tempered with disbelief.

"H-he what...?" the blue pegasus asked with a icy quietness. Spitfire turned her head away in shame as tears started to well in her eyes. The orange mane began to sway in the slight breeze, showing her pained face to Soarin'.

His heart broke. Instinctively he wrapped his forelegs around Spitfire's withers and shoulders, his wings curling round to embrace her shaking form. She returned the hug with equal force, sobbing into Soarin's coat as he cradled her. It had been a long time since he had seen Spitty cry, a very long time. But one thing he did remember clearly about every one of those times came to light - he couldn't bear it. He couldn't bear the sight of his best friend upset. During a moment of rare maturity, Soarin' whispered softly into her ear.

"Shhh, its okay Spitty...I'm here...nopony can hurt you now" A single tear rolled down Soarin's cheek and fell into Spitfire's smooth mane.

"I'm so sorry Soar..."

"Hey, hey", he said, turning her alluring face to meet his, her cheeks cupped in his hooves, "what for?"

"I-I lost...I lost the race, and i...I'm so sorry Soar, I swear i didn't mean to, I sw-".

Soarin' silenced her with a kiss...

He didn't know how long he sat there with Spitfire on the cloud, but in that instant of passion, time seemed to slow to a standstill. The almost dizzying sensation of Spitfire's lips against his own caused Soarin's mind to race with every pleasant thought he ever had. But none could come close to the moment he now experienced. Thankfully, he did not feel her pull away, so sat still in stunned silence. After what seemed like an eternity, Soarin' parted from Spitfire, who had a look of sheer shock plastered on her face.

It was only then that Soarin' realised what he had done...

"Spitty...oh sweet Goddess, Spitty I'm sorry, I'm shouldn't have, sorry...I gotta g-", as Soarin' turned away, he felt Spitfire's hoof against his shoulder again. He forced himself to look into her eyes. They were still tearful, and for a moment Soarin' thought he had caused even more upset, but then she smiled. It was the beautiful sight Soarin' had seen the entire world.

The alluring face of his best friend seemed to lift up in happiness and physically shine as her lips parted into a contented, wonderful smile, her perfect white teeth almost glowing in the moonlight. She blinked back her tears, but Soarin' could tell by the way that they sparkled that they were no longer tears of shame or fear - they were tears of joy...

"Soar...I had, no, i-idea. How long...?"

"Months...I've been meaning to t-tell you, but, but, ya know..." Soarin' felt his cheeks burn with embarrassment, and wondered what shade of crimson they were at.

Spitfire stared at him with a glazed expression of joy. Soarin' still couldn't really get his head round what had just transpired. The entire situation seemed so surreal, so perfect.

There they were, two young pegasi sitting on a drifting cloud amidst the starry host of Luna's wonderful night, the full moon bathing them in pure silver shade as they finally admitted their feelings for one another.

Below them, the shining city of Cloudsdale danced lazily across the night sky, the entire town ablaze with street lamps and skylanes, making the entire scene look like a vision of the High Heavens. When Soarin' noticed the view below him, he let out a silent gasp. Spitfire followed his gaze and did likewise. The glittering roads of skystone glowed like the veins of the clouds themselves, spiralling over on another to create an intricate lattice of light lit pathways broken by the mighty buildings and pillars of the city itself.

Both pegasi had been flying all their lives, but never in all that time had either of them seen a view so humbling and beautiful before. Spitfire suddenly noticed the backlit clock of the Cloudsdale Town Hall, its hands locked head together as they pointed both to the numeral symbolising 'twelve'.

"Midnight..."

"W-what? What d'you mean?" Soarin' asked, slightly less focused than usual as the bright lights of Cloudsdale hypnotised him. Spitfire chuckled lightly.

"It's midnight Soar...a new day" She cupped Soarin's heavily blushing cheeks in her forehooves. "Do you know what day it is, Soarin'?" The pale blue pegasus barely managed a shake of the head, so enraptured by Spitfire's touch that he almost didn't hear what she had said. The golden mare smiled.

"Its the fourteenth...the fourteenth of Winter's End" Soarin's eyes widened in surprise when he realised what that meant.

"T-that means today is-"

"Hearts and Hooves Day"

They both said in unison. Soarin's heart was beating so fast he was sure that it would catch fire or something. The feeling in his chest felt like an inferno waiting to break free. Taking Spitfire's hooves in his own, he leaned in close.

"Spitty...w-would, you be m-m-my...V-Very Special Somepony today...?"

The silence that followed was almost tangible, and Soarin' suddenly feared that he had somehow driven her away. All his fear melted when she leaned even closer and placed a soft kiss on his lips.

"Yes..."